• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dude Abides

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 month): dismissive commentary around racism
Statistically, the majority of child abuse is done by family members or family friends. Duff is clutching the old pearls of "creepy dude in a trench coat" mythology, with a healthy side of diet racism.

Is "diet" racism when there's no actual evidence of racism but we really wanna be self-righteous?

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
You know what's not acceptable? Continuing to take pictures of kids when a parent has asked you to stop.
I didn't see him take another picture, did you?

I saw someone flustered in a confrontation not expressing his thoughts in a meaningful manner, then a self-righteous celebrity putting on blast calling him a stalker without giving a shit about the consequences of such an action.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
here in Germany it's forbidden to just take photos of people who didn't explicitly allow it.
For example: every time a photographer is in the school or kindergarten, you, as a parent, have to sign a declaration of consent. Otherwise no photos of your kids.

I'm torn on this topic. On the one side I think it's a good thing to protect our children. On the other hand do I love street photography, and that's really hard to do here.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Statistically, the majority of child abuse is done by family members or family friends. Duff is clutching the old pearls of "creepy dude in a trench coat" mythology, with a healthy side of diet racism.

Child abuse in the home by family members/friends and strangers taking pictures of your kids are two different things, and while you may think they are related here, they aren't.

"Oh, a stranger is photographing my kids. That makes me uncomfortable and is inappropriate. Well, you know, my kid is actually more likely to be abused at home by someone he knows, so, hey, I'm gonna let this slide."

Huh?

OP
OP
TheGhost

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Is "diet" racism when there's no actual evidence of racism but we really wanna be self-righteous?
Chances of her storming over to a young guy/girl With a camera are slim to none.

Never mind the fact that he could have been there for a family friend, white girlfriend whatever whatever.

She walked over because she feared the threat he presented. Plus I'm sure the logic of "well I don't see a black child on the field so obviously a predatory"

DickGrayson

Alt Account
Jan 30, 2020
I didn't see him take another picture, did you?

I saw someone flustered in a confrontation not expressing his thoughts in a meaningful manner, then a self-righteous celebrity putting on blast calling him a stalker without giving a shit about the consequences of such an action.

That's what you saw, I saw someone insisting on the legality of an obviously creepy thing.

Dude Abides

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chances of her storming over to a young guy/girl With a camera are slim to none.

Never mind the fact that he could have been there for a family friend, white girlfriend whatever whatever.

She walked over because she feared the threat he presented. Plus I'm sure the logic of "well I don't see a black child on the field so obviously a predatory"

So no evidence whatsoever. Just speculation and feelings.

"He could have been there for this or that." That's presumably why she asked. To find out if he was. Turned out he wasn't.

DickGrayson

Alt Account
Jan 30, 2020
Does that make him a pedophile? Because that's what he is now.

It makes him a creep, at least.

Hopefully this stops him from taking pictures of more children, although he seems really intent on the legality of it all...

Listen, I'm not saying Duff is 100% right for putting him on blast, but I am saying I understand where she's coming from and it doesn't have to involve racism especially so since we've evidence of Duff confronting white photographers (paparazzi).

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019

I'm pretty sure if it was a young guy/girl it's quite likely she would have done the same. I don't think it was his age that tipped her off..rather that someone alone, standing on the sidelines, away from the parents, with a very elaborate camera setup seemed maybe somewhat odd (especially considering since she's used to seeing paparazzi around her and her family so probably has seen similar things happen in the past). Regardless though...either of our scenarios is us just guessing. There's no way for us to be sure exactly how she would have acted.

EDIT: Also she did consider that maybe he was there on someone's behalf by asking him that directly before asking him if he could stop taking pictures.

Oct 29, 2017

Are you a trump supporter? You're just making up a bunch of bullshit.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017

Hopefully this stops him from taking pictures of more children, although he seems really intent on the legality of it all...

Listen, I'm not saying Duff is 100% right for putting him on blast, but I am saying I understand where she's coming from and it doesn't have to involve racism especially so since we've evidence of Duff confronting white photographers (paparazzi).
I haven't mentioned racism once. It could very well stop him from taking pictures of children, he could end up dead over it. He's been labeled a pedophile with zero evidence with a large percentage of exposure in the country. People don't respond kindly to those accusations.

Cool, I guess he will learn his lesson, one way or another. Even if it was just testing out a new lens or for his private collection, the actual motive doesn't matter, his guilt has been determined. Her post was incendiary calling him a stalker and a creep, she absolutely wanted to destroy this guy over a 1 minute interaction.

Simplegamer

Oct 26, 2017
I understand she was looking out for everyone kids but she should of kept things between her and the photographer. Don't get your 15 million followers involved wtf???

Last edited:

Browser

Apr 13, 2019

How can you make that connection 100% that because he said it was legal first he is a creep? That can be rooted in things we dont know about, like him being asked if he was supposed to be somewhere alot throughout his life, I dont know, but that jump seems weird to me.

And again, I am not advocating this guy is 100% right or that he did the right things, but jumping to creep or pedo without context is wrong. I dont know if you feel duff needs to be given a break for her history with paparazzis, but for those who do, why not waiting to learn about this guy's history to afford him the same courtesy?

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I'm saying she wouldn't have asked if his skin looked like hers.
I mean, at the end of the day you're just saying things with absolutely no reason to believe they're true. If race was a factor here, it's not present in any of the evidence we can see publicly, so let's chill and not just call people out for being racist unless there's a leg to stand on.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Why would she post this? Bellend

Indeed. There's literally only one reason why you'd expose someone to your fanbase like that, and yet so many people want to pretend that she did so without malicious intent. It's one thing to invoke mob justice when you're 100% sure, but even Duff admitted later on that she didn't know if he was just an ordinary dude.

Who knows though. Maybe she posted it to her 15 million followers so that they could help the brother out with his photography ;)

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How can you make that connection 100% that because he said it was legal first he is a creep? That can be rooted in things we dont know about, like him being asked if he was supposed to be somewhere alot throughout his life, I dont know, but that jump seems weird to me.

And again, I am not advocating this guy is 100% right or that he did the right things, but jumping to creep or pedo without context is wrong. I dont know if you feel duff needs to be given a break for her history with paparazzis, but for those who do, why not waiting to learn about this guy's history to afford him the same courtesy?

We don't need his history to know that his actions in this specific situation were wrong. If a parent asks a stranger to stop photographing their child, and he choose to argue that it's his legal right to photograph children against their parents wishes, that is creepy behaviour. Nothing in his history would justify or excuse that.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Indeed. There's literally only one reason why you'd expose someone to your fanbase like that, and yet so many people want to pretend that she did so without malicious intent. It's one thing to invoke mob justice when you're 100% sure, but even Duff admitted later on that she didn't know if he was just an ordinary dude.

Who knows though. Maybe she posted it to her 15 million followers so that they could help this brother out with his photography ;)
There is a reality where she made the post as a way of bringing up the topic as an actual issue she cares about, and used the video as a (absolutely misguided) way to show an example.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
We don't need his history to know that his actions in this specific situation were wrong. If a parent asks a stranger to stop photographing their child, and he choose to argue that it's his legal right to photograph children against their parents wishes, that is creepy behaviour. Nothing in his history would justify or excuse that.

This. All of this. Seriously This.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
And she could've easily done so without putting him on blast.
Hence my use of the word misguided lol. Again, I've seen no one in this thread say anything to the tune of "She was totally right for posting the video". She could be wrong for posting it, and he could be wrong for being unreasonable. Both things can be true

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Here I thought some paparazzi was following her and then taking photos of HER kid.

whatsarobot

Nov 17, 2017
Wow. People in here are actually defending paparazzi taking photos of celebrities children? Any parents here who actually think that way? Or is this just internet posturing?

OP
OP
TheGhost

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
How do you explain people like me who are white and have been asked the same sort of question by other white parents?
I've been shooting kids sports for awhile during the summer. . I never stand on the bleachers I'm always off to the side. Shooting for a friend's kid. I can count on one hand the number of times I was approached and all I was asked for was a business card to view the photos later.

Browser

Apr 13, 2019

But it is his legal right tho. Why does him pointing that out makes him a creep? Would you advocate for the right of any parent within the US to call the police and ask for anyone with any cameras, phone or otherwise, to be jailed because they were taking pictures of their kids?

Many times I was in the park with my daughter filming her, and of course there were many other kids around, and I was filming them too as she played. What duff is advocating here is that if any parent asks me to not film my daughter, I have to stop, or else they can have me jailed.

Cokie Bear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been shooting kids sports for awhile during the summer. . I never stand on the bleachers I'm always off to the side. Shooting for a friend's kid. I can count on one hand the number of times I was approached and all I was asked for was a business card to view the photos later.

That doesn't answer my question in any way. What does any of this have to do with what I asked?

You said this wouldn't have happened if his skin was the same colour as hers. I asked how do you explain me, a white man, having to deal with the same situation from other white patents? You literally said this wouldn't have happened if he was white. Did I imagine it happening to me on 2 separate occasions?

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
...so you concede that as a white person you got approached as well

Cokie Bear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But it is his legal right tho. Why does him pointing that out makes him a creep? Would you advocate for the right of any parent within the US to call the police and ask for anyone with any cameras, phone or otherwise, to be jailed because they were taking pictures of their kids?

Why is it your opinion that a strangers right to take photos of children against their parents wishes should outweigh a parents desire to not have their kids photographed by strangers?

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017

This is the key factor. You've been asked to be there. She approaches him and her first question is "Who are you here with". But he's not there with anyone. He has no relation to any of the kids on the field. And no parent has asked him to photograph their children. But he's standing off to the side taking pictures of children. And when confronted with this his response is seriously "It's legal". That is extremely creepy.

Dec 22, 2018
I'm a white dad and I have been approached twice while watching my kids play in the park by other parents asking me who I was and who I was with. It's really quite infuriating that so many people here seem to think that this isn't an issue white dads have to deal with.

I've been in a similar situation as a white dude. I don't have any kids, but I once got approached by a concerned mother after parking my car in front of my parents' house and sitting there for a few minutes while her children played in a yard a few houses down. I didn't have a camera in my hands and I wasn't actively watching her kids, but my presence (as an unknown white male just sitting in a car) was enough to set off her "creep" alarm and convince her to confront and question me. I was annoyed, and I could have probably responded with "it's my legal right to watch your kids frolic and play," but instead I decided to force a smile a deescalate the situation by explaining who I was and why I was there.

As for the situation in the OP, was this an example of racial profiling? My assumption is yes, but only if none of the kids playing were black or obviously biracial. That might have caused Hillary to suspect the photographer wasn't there to watch his own kid.

More important though is, as you pointed out, the gender profiling. Guys are way more likely to set off a pedo alarm in parents' minds. While I'm not a parent, knowing how depraved the internet can be I definitely understand the concern (to a certain extent). I also get why a former child/ tween star would have a very negative view of photographers in general. She's probably had more than her fair share of incidents involving sketchy people with cameras. Her reaction here was over-the-top and entirely inappropriate (celebrities should never threaten to publicly shame people with their fanbases), but I understand why she felt uncomfortable in the first place.

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
Why is it your opinion that a strangers right to take photos of children against their parents wishes should outweigh a parents desire to not have their kids photographed by strangers?
Because they are in a public place. And your expectation of privacy in a public place should be 0. Simple as that.

Its not parents vs strangers, its public space vs private.

Would you advocate to anyone policing people taking pictures of kids in public places? Any parent that feels their kid got in a picture of anyone other than them can call the police?

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I always feel super awkward taking a picture with anyone's face visible who I don't know/haven't asked permission for.

Then I see people on my Facebook feed posting their creepshots they took of "weird looking" people on the tube and I cringe.

Status
Not open for further replies.