• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
My question is... how did she know he wasnt a parent? Were there no black kids on the field? And if that's the case, why does that translate to "he shouldnt be doing this" because he is a black guy. Hell, he could easily be a step parent or a friend of the family... I just dont understand why she saw him and said "hes not supposed to be doing that"

Tbf, she saw him and asked if he was with someone or knew someone at the game.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I think we've reached the natural conclusion of #DuffGate / #PaparrazoGate and that compromise between both sides is necessary:

Hillary Duff is an entitled racist, and should be charged with cyber-bullying and encouraging the inevitable suicide of a confirmed pedophilic paparazzi selling photos of children to internet child-sex rings.

Golden

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
I would definitely take issue with anyone taking photos of my kids. We don't let our kids school use photos of our children on the school website etc

If some random was taking photos of my kids and refused to stop, I would confiscate their camera /phone and deal with any consequences.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User banned (1 week): Inflammatory generalizations over multiple posts, thread derail
Becoming a parent is the slow decline into voting for Trump. Starts with saying things like "I don't care if it's legal it's not right", ends with voting in a fascist because "he tells it like it is."

Oct 25, 2017
My question is... how did she know he wasnt a parent? Were there no black kids on the field? And if that's the case, why does that translate to "he shouldnt be doing this" because he is a black guy. Hell, he could easily be a step parent or a friend of the family... I just dont understand why she saw him and said "hes not supposed to be doing that"

Well presumably she'd know the other parents of children on her own child's team. Plus her very first question was asking him if he was with anyone.

Becoming a parent is the slow decline into voting for Trump. Starts with saying things like "I don't care if it's legal it's not right", ends with voting in a fascist because "he tells it like it is."

Are you kidding me? Wanting strangers not to take photos of your kids is a slippery slope to voting for Trump?

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You guys really don't find it creepy that he's out there taking pictures of a kids soccer game when he doesn't have a kid playing in it?

Depends on what he is doing. If he just focuses on one specific kid or so, yeah.
And if that is the kid of Hillary Duff, I would get it.

Elsewise, it's a kid's soccer game. I don't think that is a creepy motive or something a pedophile would take pictures of.

It sure is a bit weird but the guy offered his ID.

OP
OP
TheGhost

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I would definitely take issue with anyone taking photos of my kids. We don't let our kids school use photos of our children on the school website etc

If some random was taking photos of my kids and refused to stop, I would confiscate their camera /phone and deal with any consequences.
No photographer is letting you take a $2,000 camera from them. Not with out getting a tripod to the side of your head or your kneecaps probably. Like you just stole something man 😂

You can't just take things that's called theft and yes the cops probably won't give the photographer a hard time for beating you to get their equipment back.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are you kidding me? Wanting strangers not to take photos of your kids is a slippery slope to voting for Trump?

They're not taking a photograph of you kid, they're recording public life.

Like I said, becoming a parent is the start of thinking the world revolves around you and your kin, and every action made by others is in some way directed at them. See Trump supporters.

Oct 25, 2017

Like I said, becoming a parent is the start of thinking the world revolves around you and your kin, and every action made by others is in some way directed at them. See Trump supporters.

It's 100% directed at those kids. He's standing 30 feet away from them with a zoom lens. This is not strangers appearing in stock footage for the news. I'm not a parent, but I teach kindergarten and I have to deal with people jUsT tAkInG pHoToS every day. The kids absolutely are uncomfortable with it and so are their parents.

Dec 12, 2017
She asked him directly.

Castor Archer

Jan 8, 2019
You guys really don't find it creepy that he's out there taking pictures of a kids soccer game when he doesn't have a kid playing in it?
They're in public. Is it smart to get consent from the parents? Sure. But there's nothing creepy about photographing something in public. It's not like he's taking up-skirts, sporting events make for great photo shoots for a lot of reasons.

Cokie Bear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Saying "I don't care if it's legal, it's not right" isn't new and it isn't specific to parents. People have been saying that about things like being able to legally own and walk around with an assault rifle strapped to you, super young ages of consent in some countries, drugs that have absolutely no right being available for legal purchase etc.

Like, what does this post even mean? Not wanting a stranger to take pictures of your kids means you're on the path to becoming a fascist?

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017

What a bunch of nonsense. Being a parent often makes people think about the future ensuring their kids also have a future as well.

20 year olds aren't some miraculous demographic that are more enlightened than their future selves.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

she was tipped off when she saw him putting together his kit

download.gif

Cokie Bear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They're in public. Is it smart to get consent from the parents? Sure. But there's nothing creepy about photographing something in public. It's not like he's taking up-skirts, sporting events make for great photo shoots for a lot of reasons.

There's plenty of adult sporting events to take pictures of which wouldn't have raised these sort of questions in the first place. "It's public and it's legal" doesn't reassure any parent that the stranger taking pictures of their children is doing so with good intentions.

DickGrayson

Alt Account
Jan 30, 2020
I would not want someone I didn't know taking pictures of my kids unsolicited full stop.

Fucking especially in today's social media driven world, nah nah nah nah, getting uncomfortable just thinking about it.

Aurongel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
In most states, the threshold for felony theft is between $500-$1000 which is easily below the cost of most DSLR/Telephoto combos.

Not advisable unless you want to become an easily convicted felon over your failure to control your petulant impulses.

EN1GMA

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017

Making a massive reach and acting as if it's a fact is the start of becoming a Trump supporter. See how that works.

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
I would take issue with people I don't know photographing my child, and I would ask them to stop. If they refused to stop, then yes I would find that somewhat disturbing.

That said, my recourse in that hypothetical is to simply leave the area, because what they're doing isn't illegal and I don't get to demand the world accede to my specific parental concerns.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017

How are you going about "confiscating" people's property?

Golden

Banned
Dec 9, 2018
No photographer is letting you take a $2,000 camera from them. Not with out getting a tripod to the side of your head or your kneecaps probably. Like you just stole something man 😂

You can't just take things that's called theft and yes the cops probably won't give the photographer a hard time for beating you to get their equipment back.
This wouldn't happen.

I have got rid of photographers before. Most people have the common sense to stop if they are asked to. There aren't many photographers who want to stand and bang for the right to take photos of other people's kids. If you tell someone you will take their camera they will just leave.

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
even if she's right that its just not cool to take pictures of the kids, FUCK HER for posting this shit on her instagram for her 16 million fans to go after the guy
she's 10000% in the wrong here

HeavenlyOne

The Fallen
Nov 30, 2017
Your heart
Hilary Duff: Who are you here with? Who are you here with?

Unknown Photographer: I'm here with me.

HD: With you?

UP: Yeah?

HD: Do you know any people on the team?

UP: No.

HD: Oh, can you stop taking pictures of the kids please.

*photographer unleashes his THE-LAW-IS-ON-MY-SIDE POWER card*

UP: It's legal. (This will always be a creepy response, much in the same way an adult saying "It's legal" in response to someone questioning their sexual relationship with a teenager) (Also, it's possible to be creepy without also being a predator, but responding to a parent asking "Can you, a stranger, please stop taking pictures of my child." with "It is perfectly legal that I, a stranger, take pictures of your child, so I will continue to do so despite you having a problem with it." might not make you a predator, but it does make you are arsehole.)

HD: It's, it's making me feel really uncomfortable.

UP:
Well you shouldn't feel uncomfortable. You want me to show you ID? (a racist would LOVE to see his ID because they get off on having power over those they deem "lesser". She's not interested. She just wants him to stop.) (Also, I don't think an actual predator would offer up ID, they're more likely to leave as soon as you approach them.)

HD: I'm not asking for your ID, I'm asking you to stop taking pictures of our 7 year old children if you don't know anyone that's here.

UP:
But, it's legal. It's not against the law. (She never disputes this.)

HD: I'm asking you, human to human, as a mother, if you don't know anyone here can you please stop talking pictures of our children playing football.

UP:
But I'm just telling you, it's not illegal. (Again, she never disputes this, but it's the only argument he has.)

HD: That's okay, that you're saying...

UP: Well, I'm, I'm taking pictures of, practicing photography, and I'm...

HD: Can you practice it on another, on another...

UP: I'm not here to scare you or anything like that..

HD:
But you are... (scaring her, because you are a stranger taking photos of her kids. Her fear may not be warranted but it is real, and as a celebrity* this isn't her first run in with strangers taking unwanted photos of her.)

UP: Your paranoia is unwarranted, that's what I'm telling you. (On one hand he's right, people get unreasonably paranoid when it comes to male strangers and kids. On the other, he's a stranger who's refusing to stop taking photos of her child despite her asking politely (but angrily) to "stop taking picture of the kids please".)

HD: No, it's just an uncomfortability factor that these are 7 year old children and you don't have a child here.

UP:
What's that got to do with anything? (What's that got to do with anything? That's the entire issue!)

HD: Well, there are children and we would like to protect them so if you could take pictures and practice your photography somewhere else...

UP: Well, you, me taking pictures ??? is not, what about other people?

*Celebrity unleashes her DO-YOU-KNOW-WHO-I-AM POWER card*

HD: Well I will just post this to my 15 million followers on Instagram and let people know how creepy it is that this is what you choose to do on your Saturday morning. (Prior to this nothing she said was unreasonable. He was doing a thing and she asked him to stop doing a thing. His refusing to stop led her to make a bad call, but it doesn't negate everything else she said.)

*Attacking her celebrity status isn't the gotcha that people seem to think it is. It just makes you a dick.

Also, WTF at people thinking this wouldn't be an issue if he was white? People routinely freak out about men they don't know even being in the vicinity of children, regardless of colour.

Ultimately, I don't think he was a predator, and I don't think she did anything wrong asking him to stop. I feel like if you are photographing strangers and their children, and they are uncomfortable with that and ask you to please stop, the only reasonable response is to stop. Why is that a hill you want to die on?

Last edited:

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"The worst thing about being mistaken for a pervert with a camera, is people not believing it happens to us white guys too!" the thread.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
This wouldn't happen.

I have got rid of photographers before. Most people have the common sense to stop if they are asked to. There aren't many photographers who want to stand and bang for the right to take photos of other people's kids. If you tell someone you will take their camera they will just leave.
So you just threaten people into leaving?

Cokie Bear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"The worst thing about being mistaken for a pervert with a camera, is people not believing it happens to us white guys too!" the thread.

To be fair as a white dad who has experienced this sort of attitude from other parents, it is incredibly frustrating and aggravating to see so many posters saying "this wouldn't have happened if he was white".

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Also, based on the size of those beautiful lenses he could probably be standing dozens of meters away and taking photos but he preferred to be nearby taking photos, so I guess he didnt hide his intentions. And he talked to her clearly, didnt pretend he knew someone there, or that he wasnt taking pics. The guy is 100% in the right.
That's really all that needs to be said.

HeavenlyOne

The Fallen
Nov 30, 2017
Your heart
You don't need consent if it's public space. If a parent feels it's weird or creeped out, which is very reasonable, thae they should ask him to stop, not attempt to get him shamed by their large internet following right off the bat.

That's exactly what she did:

Oh, can you stop taking pictures of the kids please.
it's making me feel really uncomfortable.
I'm not asking for your ID, I'm asking you to stop taking pictures of our 7 year old children if you don't know anyone that's here.
I'm asking you, human to human, as a mother, if you don't know anyone here can you please stop talking pictures of our children playing football.
Can you practice it on another, on another...
No, it's just an uncomfortability factor that these are 7 year old children and you don't have a child here.
Well, there are children and we would like to protect them so if you could take pictures and practice your photography somewhere else...

She repeatedly asks him to stop. It's only after he refuses, having said it's legal three times despite her never arguing otherwise, that she does the dumb thing and uses her social media following as a weapon. If he had immediately stopped and left she never would have uploaded the video. She didn't "attempt to get him shamed by their large internet following right off the bat ".

Oct 25, 2017
Don't shoot photos of people's kids. Triply so if parents ask you to chill.

This is some of the dumbest shit I've read on this website.

Definitely a tough call, but I kind of liked her saying that she knows it's not illegal and is asking him as a favor, person to person. It's not like she ran up to him and said to leave or she's calling the cops. Then she went all vengeful and it got weird.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Don't shoot photos of people's kids. Triply so if parents ask you to chill.
Fully agree.
I'm not saying her broadcasting him to millions of people was okay, or that what he was doing was illegal. And it is quite likely her confronting him the way she did was racially motivated, nobody can dispute that.
But if a parent asks you to stop taking pictures of their child, just comply. Can't pretend that guy wasn't wrong.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Definitely a tough call, but I kind of liked her saying that she knows it's not illegal and is asking him as a favor, person to person. It's not like she ran up to him and said to leave or she's calling the cops. Then she went all vengeful and it got weird.

The correct move is to leave. It sucks but I'm not catching an assault charge cause some weirdo is doing weirdo shit in public.

I just think some folks give no shits. This dude gives no shits going around taking pics of kids that parents don't want him to. She give no shits and tries to go the vengeful route.

I think the lesson for both parties needs to be: Learn when to pack it up and walk away.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Taking pictures of kids that aren't yours without consent is creepy, that also needs to be said.

Also

"it's legal" in regards to children will never not be creepy
Issue here is the context, was he there to take pictures of kids, or "stopping the movements of little humans interacting in a kinetic environment in an aesthetically pleasing manner". I've photographed a kid twirling around a toy that lit up and his eyes immediately lit up. His mom just smiled at me.
But I'm not a big black man, so...

Oct 25, 2017

I do think there's a bit implied accusation in the act of having your camera phone out recording the interaction, which is why I think is partly why the photographer goes defensive with the 'its legal' response.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Fully agree.
I'm not saying her broadcasting him to millions of people was okay, or that what he was doing was illegal. And it is quite likely her confronting him the way she did was racially motivated, nobody can dispute that.
But if a parent asks you to stop taking pictures of their child, just comply. Can't pretend that guy wasn't wrong.

Well that's the thing...Doing shit that's legal but not cool cuts both ways in this case. Now maybe dude can understand just saying "It's legal" ain't always gonna hold up lol. It's like someone sticking their finger in tour face and saying "But I'm not touching you!"

This is the adult version of petty childishness taken to its natural conclusion. I just think in all this a child shouldn't be photographed without their and/or their parent/guardians consent.

Status
Not open for further replies.