• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
TheGhost

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
No matter what one thinks about either of them, this most likely wouldn't have happened if he wasn't black.

I take pictures at my daughter's performances all the time. There's nothing to identify that I'm anyone's dad, it's just assumed/not a big deal to anyone.

I'd bet money on her reaction being racist.
I wanted to say this at the start of My OP. But being a white guy I'm not sure if it's really my place to bring that super obvious point up.
He was defiant about stopping before she even once implied she would then spread her video. He retorted about being legally allowed immediately instead of something decent to make her understand his position to continue or stop. Her reaction escalated too far, but I can't say he had any decency in discussing the issue itself.

There's every chance she wouldn't have bothered posting this if the encounter was simply him saying, "Sure, I just came to the field to practice on this camera, I can check out a different field." Instead if she was suspicious before about him knowing famous people had kids there, she sure might still feel that way after his response.
she went marching over with the intent to humiliate

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
I don't know what you're trying to prove here. It hasn't happened to you so it has to be a racist issue? It happens to white dads, it's happened to me and at least 1 other white dad I know. Everyone knows dads exist, the problem is people have this preconceived notion to think that a man who is seemingly by himself around a bunch of children is a pervert. It's messed up and is definitely an issue but it's not a racial issue. I don't think there's anything wrong with politely asking someone why they're there and why they're taking photos when there's kids involved.

I agree with this. It's fine to ask a photographer about what they're doing, it's fine to ask them not to take a picture of you. You can't ask them to stop taking pictures of a public event though. (I mean, you can...but they don't have to)

If it was a field full of white kids playing soccer, and this was a white guy, I don't think he would have been approached. 🤷‍♂️ The guy's reaction is perfectly understandable. You're not black, I'm not either, but I FULLY understand why his reaction would be what it was...there's a bit of history behind that.

I don't think you should be trying to dismiss that, that's what I'm "proving"/suggesting.

Bonafide

Oct 11, 2018
Yeahhh taking photos at a kids game and you have no connection to any of the children is creepy as fuck. I would definitely have a problem with this too, I don't give a fuck what color you are don't take pictures of my kids when you don't know them and then say it's not illegal.

how do you know if all of the other folks there had connections to the kids?
what if someone who had kids there took pictures of your kid? how would you know? does it matter? how do you know they aren't a 'creep'? because they have kids?

this is a topic where a dude was singled out due to racism and ignorance about 1A rights and made out to be some stranger danger bullshit. the dude stood out because he was black in a majority or all white crowd, thus he is a problem.

its interesting especially considering most of the 'creeps' tend to be folks close to the victims instead of some random.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree with this. It's fine to ask a photographer about what they're doing, it's fine to ask them not to take a picture of you. You can't ask them to stop taking pictures of a public event though. (I mean, you can...but they don't have to)

If it was a field full of white kids playing soccer, and this was a white guy, I don't think he would have been approached. 🤷‍♂️ The guy's reaction is perfectly understandable. You're not black, I'm not either, but I FULLY understand why his reaction would be what it was...there's a bit of history behind that.

I don't think you should be trying to dismiss that, that's what I'm "proving"/suggesting.

The only thing I'm dismissing the assertion that this is race related, because there's no evidence of that and I know first hand that it happens to white dads too. It's a gender issue, we don't need to turn it into something else. You saying "I don't think he would have been approached" is just complete speculation, when I'm telling you that you're wrong because I have been approached like this as a white dad. What you're saying you don't think would happen, has and does happen. I wasn't even sitting with a big ass camera, I was just sitting on a bench watching both times it happened.

We don't need to turn this into a racial issue when her reaction was shitty enough already. This happens to white dads too. It's a gender issue.

Tayaya

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I think the guy is doing something perfectly legal and perfectly within his rights. Nothing is inherently wrong about taking photos out in public, and yes he is allowed to shoot sports, kids playing, parents on the bleachers, etc. But ethically, I would say that there are plenty of other places and subjects one can use to get "photography practice" without creeping parents out.

I shoot at parks and at the beach regularly but usually focus on wildlife when I am in those places. I find birds to be more interesting to shoot than people, and they move around a LOT, so getting good photos quickly takes skill and that's why I enjoy it. No one ever seems to mind too much.

I'm more nervous about confrontation when I fly my drone. However, in all the times I've taken it to the beach, I've only been approached 3-4 times. And every one of those times, it's mostly been people asking questions about how it flies, what I can see from the controller, how I keep from losing it, etc. Genuine curiosity stuff.

Oct 25, 2017
It's a " they are both right, whaddya gonna do?" situation.

No one in public has a reasonable expectation of privacy from being photographed. At the same time it's annoying having your kids photographed by the public, especially knowing there's always a chance the person with the camera is a perv.

I've started taking a photo back of anyone that photos my kids.

Yeah this is where I'm at. He doesn't have any kids playing so it is a bit wierd for him to just be taking photos of random kids, so I can see why she would be alarmed. But at the same time, it isn't illegal and it's not like he was taking photos of her, so idk why she would jump to assume he was papparazzi.

Oct 25, 2017
It's not right to treat strangers with cameras as creeps.

You also don't need to photograph random kids as a photographer. It's certainly legal, but I understand people being skeeved.

This specific instance is at an uncomfortable intersection of sex and race. I've seen plenty of white adults get treated like creeps just like this guy, but there's not really a way to prove or disprove the confrontation might have been racially motivated this instance, in part or in whole.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I think photographers have a right to shoot, and parents have a right to be fucking weirded out when someone is taking photos of their children. Public shaming is the right approach here, and a photographer should not be taking photographs of Hillary Duff's children or other children playing with Hillary Duff's children.

Observe some basic human decency. By photographing her children, you're immediately making it weird... Other children are going to resent playing with her because they're being photographed, other parents are going to resent that their children are in the game with Hillary Duff's child. And for what? To sell a stupid fucking photo to some trash bin blog? Is the $45 really worth it -- to photograph someone's children playing? If the guy is not paparazzi or a professional photographer, if he's at the game with his kids, it takes a 1 second explanation and it's over... "oh, that's my daughter there, #7," and the discussion is over.

I'm careful of not taking photos of other people's kids when I'm out with my daughter. I take my daughter to this tumble gym which is also a cheerleaders practice gym, and the child cheerleaders are practicing on one part of the gym, while my toddler is playing on the other. I oftne take photos of her there but I'm careful to not include other kids because, for one, I want to respect other parents, and two, I'm aware of the stigma of a grown man taking photos of anything where there are children. If any parent asked me to not take pictures, I'd rightfully be hurt and insulted, but I'd also explain "oh that's my daughter there I'm taking photos of her...," and I'd show them, but still I'd probably respect their wishes and be cautious of taking photos.

We were at the beach in Newport a few years ago, and a guy was doing drone photography there... Sure, perfectly legal and maybe he's just taking some sweeping photographs of the ocean with his drone, but his drone was hovering over people sunbathing or laying around... and everybody got creeped out by it. Maybe this guy wasn't making his fap reel of women in bikinis bathing on the beach, and sure, it's his right to photograph people in public, but a number of people complained to security and they made him stop filming. I think that's the right thing to do. You have a right to shoot, but people also have a right to feel creeped out by your independent surveillance of them and if police or authorities don't step in to stop it then it'd probably lead to vigilante justice.

Last edited:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
If you're shooting unsolicited pictures of random kids, I'm gonna define you as a creep.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
Ok, she's a racist. I have no doubt that if a white man were taking photos of her kid, she would have gladly accepted it. She certainly wouldn't approach him and, if she did, it'd only be to give him more photos of her kid.

Maybe this guy wasn't making his fap reel of women in bikinis bathing on the beach, and sure, it's his right to photograph people in public, but a number of people complained to security and they made him stop filming.

The guy with the drone was black, wasn't he?

Cokie Bear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok, she's a racist. I have no doubt that if a white man were taking photos of her kid, she would have gladly accepted it. She certainly wouldn't approach him and, if she did, it'd only be to give him more photos of her kid.

The guy with the drone was black, wasn't he?

I'm a white dad and I have been approached twice while watching my kids play in the park by other parents asking me who I was and who I was with. It's really quite infuriating that so many people here seem to think that this isn't an issue white dads have to deal with.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yeah this is where I'm at. He doesn't have any kids playing so it is a bit wierd for him to just be taking photos of random kids, so I can see why she would be alarmed. But at the same time, it isn't illegal and it's not like he was taking photos of her, so idk why she would jump to assume he was papparazzi.
the entire reason this is a story is because she's famous enough to have a voice to speak against paparazzi

she has every reason to think someone figured out famous people's kids were there

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Public shaming is the right approach here,
Nah fuck that.

You want to ask people stop taking pictures cause as a parent, it makes you uncomfortable, which is reasonable, then ask. Don't turn on your phone and start recording right off the bat.

It's a ridiculous and paranoid first reaction. It's also even irresponsible and potentially dangerous if you're some famous celebrity, who has a massive following.

Oct 25, 2017
Hull, England
This happened to my brother at the park before, a group of women approached him and accused him of being a weirdo even though he had his son with him, he was recording a video of his son at the park, he is a white man so to say this would not happen to white people is false.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Hillary had merely politely asked him to stop and he didn't, I wouldn't have too much of a problem with this, considering her decades worth of life experience being hounded by paparazzi; as a parent, I don't look at photographers at my son's sporting events and assume the worst (because that's honestly behavior reserved for white folk, usually directed to people who look like me and this man), but she's clearly got a different relationship with being filmed than most people ever will have.

But that's not what happened. She escalated the situation to a place it didn't need to go, and doubled down long after the point that she should've accepted she was wrong and walked away.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
What? No, he was white or at least light skinned. Do you think people taking drone photography of women on the beach are only black?

oh. thats weird.
no, but i think the chances he's reported to security is astronomically higher.

I'm a white dad and I have been approached twice while watching my kids play in the park by other parents asking me who I was and who I was with. It's really quite infuriating that so many people here seem to think that this isn't an issue white dads have to deal with.

so youre telling me that hillary duff isn't racist?

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
I think photographers have a right to shoot, and parents have a right to be fucking weirded out when someone is taking photos of their children. Public shaming is the right approach here, and a photographer should not be taking photographs of Hillary Duff's children or other children playing with Hillary Duff's children.

Observe some basic human decency. By photographing her children, you're immediately making it weird... Other children are going to resent playing with her because they're being photographed, other parents are going to resent that their children are in the game with Hillary Duff's child. And for what? To sell a stupid fucking photo to some trash bin blog? Is the $45 really worth it -- to photograph someone's children playing?

What? I can't tell if this is satire. Are you seriously condoning what Duff is doing here? She's pretty much doxxing him with her "15 million followers" threat. Do you have any idea how much damage a white woman (let alone a famous one) can do to a black man when she pulls this card?

Now I don't know if he was paparazzi, but dude certainly doesn't look like someone looking to score some pocket change. FFS, his kit alone is worth 4-5 grand.

Last edited:

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I go to the beach and take pictures of peoples dogs.

Please cage me I am a danger to society.

Also white and also asked why am filming lol. When I say it's their dog and not their kids and show them the pics they get super excited and make them prance and pose and shit for my filthy smut.

Nov 13, 2017
User Banned (2 weeks): Dismissive commentary around racism
OP should have included the context that she's had a history of paparazzi stalking her children.

The hive mentality on this website is unsettling.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
What? I can't tell if this is satire. Are you seriously condoning what Duff is doing here? She's pretty much doxxing him with her "15 million followers" threat. Do you have any idea how much damage a white woman (let alone a famous one) can do to a black man when she pulls this card?

Now I don't know if he was paparazzi, but dude certainly doesn't look like someone looking to score some pocket change. FFS, his kit alone is worth 4-5 grand.

No, sorrry, I didn't mean with social media but at the soccer game with other parents. I couldn't watch the video with sound. I don't understand why anybody with commercial photography equipment would want to take photographs of anyone's children playing sports unless they're doing it for some commercial purpose... Like, if they're hired by the soccer league or maybe other parents who want photos of their kids (sports recruiters, etc), then that's fine, but I don't understand why anybody would want to take professional photography of another person's children?

Now, I don't know shit about hillary duff though, but as a former child star her being suspicious of professional photographers photographing her children doesn't seem out of the ordinary to me. And, as a non famous person who is a parent I empathize with being weirded out by someone taking photos of my children. IF someone were really photographing my kids at something, I'd go up and ask them what the deal is... I wouldn't record it because, for one, I'm like... a big guy whose a little more intimidating and I'm not really concerned about confrontation as much as someone else might be. But if the person didn't give me a good explanation (e.g., hired by the league, or "That's my kid over there -- #10...") then I'd be like, dude, you should get lost. Practicing your profession/hobby on my children without my permission isn't a valid reason for me to not be weirded out by you and ask you to stop. Of course, I understand that you have a legal right to do that, we're in public, it's your right, and I'd have a legal right to ask you to stop, you don't have to respect that and I think that's where human decency comes down... If you're taking photos of my children to practice for your hobby or whatever, and I ask you to stop, and you don't, then I think you're indecent.

Last edited:

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
No, sorrry, I didn't mean with social media but at the soccer game with other parents. I couldn't watch the video with sound. I don't understand why anybody with commercial photography equipment would want to take photographs of anyone's children playing sports unless they're doing it for some commercial purpose... Like, if they're hired by the soccer league or maybe other parents who want photos of their kids (sports recruiters, etc), then that's fine, but I don't understand why anybody would want to take professional photography of another person's children?
Like he said, for practice. Shooting moving targets isn't easy.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Don't you need a parent's consent to photograph a kid?

Not wanting a stranger to take pictures of your kid is... an understandable demand, IMO.

But calling the dude a creep over it? Too far.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia

It's more likely that he's practicing. Nikon just released a new firmware that improved autofocus. It's a pretty huge update for Z owners considering how much the autofocus tracking on these cameras sucked (I own one)

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
It's more likely that he's practicing. Nikon just released a new firmware that improved autofocus. It's a pretty huge update for Z owners considering how much the autofocus tracking on these cameras sucked (I own one)

Like he said, for practice. Shooting moving targets isn't easy.

I feel like there's a better way to practice whatever your profession is than taking photos of other people's children without parental consent. Or at least you should find a better way than to practice taking photos of other people's children without consent.

As a normal non-celebrity whose been to my nieces and nephews soccer, baseball, and basketball games I've never seen people hanging out around the fields taking photos of children playing. It seems much more plausible that a professional photographer is taking photos of a celebrity's children than it does someone is practicing taking pictures.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, her response was over the top but I don't blame any parent that would ask a random person to stop taking photos of their kids. If a photographer wants to be a dick and play the I'm not doing anything illegal card, that's fine, it then becomes creepy if they are insistent on still taking photos after being asked to respectfully stop. She was missing the respect part here.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
I feel like there's a better way to practice whatever your profession is than taking photos of other people's children without parental consent. Or at least you should find a better way than to practice taking photos of other people's children without consent.
He chose a sports game. Sports game are very good practice.

You don't need consent if it's public space. If a parent feels it's weird or creeped out, which is very reasonable, thae they should ask him to stop, not attempt to get him shamed by their large internet following right off the bat.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn

You don't need consent if it's public space. If a parent feels it's weird or creeped out, which is very reasonable, thae they should ask him to stop, not attempt to get him shamed by their large internet following right off the bat.

Yeah, for me its the sports game aspect which makes her behavior strange. If they were quietly at play, I can see the argument. But someone filming a kids sports game isn't a crazy random thing to do, guaranteed there were other parents filming their kids AND other people's kids.

Bjomesphat

Nov 5, 2017

She did ask him to stop. Even said please. That's when he came back with his legal defense. Come on, she wasn't even filming his face initially.

Ginta

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Love it when everyone assumes there are only us users on a international forum.

Definitely forbidden here to take pictures of people like that without permission. Wouldn't want to see my niece on some ad because her pic was sold to some agency.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017

Legally, I get it. Everybody has a right to take photos of children in public... It's as American as any other right. If you want to make a large photo collection of other people's children for your hobby, you have that legal right and I'd petition for you to the Supreme Court to protect that right. But I think if I, as a parent, said "Hey can you not take photos of my kids?" And you said, "Oh, I'm just practicing my hobby and I don't need your consent to take photos of your children," then I'd be weirded out by that and think you're an indecent person. Illegal? Creep? Pedophile? No, not that, but just indecent that you think your hobby or practicing for your profession on my children is more important than the wishes of those childrens' parents. Like, they're children. Let the children enjoy their children's game without you using them to practice whatever your job is.

And of course it's just an amazing coincidence that this happens to be a former child star celebrity's children... and a child star who has, apparently, been dogged by paparazzi photographing her children in the past.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
The way it was handled was ridiculous. However, if someone was taking unsolicited pictures of my kid without any tie to an event, I'd be pissed as well.

Who cares if he was using it to learn or is a public space and there is zero malicious intent, I don't post pictures of my kid on social media, so I wouldn't want a stranger doing it.

Ultimately, he has a right to be there, parents also have a right to air their grievances. Hillary Duff does not have a right to put him on blast in front of millions of people.

Bjomesphat

Nov 5, 2017
But she still came at him with the video on record right?

Yeah? Wouldn't it look significantly worse for her if we only saw the interaction after it escalated? If she wanted to shame the dude from the start, she probably would have had it in his face the whole time, rather than the awkward angle we see at the beginning.

Sure, she was initially too confrontational, but the request to not film her kids isn't absurd.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
Yeah? Wouldn't it look significantly worse for her if we only saw the interaction after it escalated? If she wanted to shame the dude from the start, she probably would have had it in his face the whole time, rather than the awkward angle we see at the beginning.

Sure, she was initially too confrontational, but the request to not film her kids isn't absurd.
It's bad for her that we saw the confrontation at all. That's the point.

Want to video something to protect yourself legally? Fine. It doesn't need to be an instagram story as well.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Oh okay you're just posting for shits and giggles. Duly noted.

Yeah I was just taking the piss out of that one 😊

I think the most likely scenario here is that the photographer was intentionally taking photos of hillary duff's children. Not practicing photography and he coincidentally could only take photos of children at Hillary Duff's kid's soccer game. The odds just seem astronomical, and if a parent asks you not to photograph their kids, I feel like theres other opportunities to photograph moving targets, like a sports game played by adults or older children who don't need parental supervision. I don't think she's wrong for recording the video for when she goes to confront who she thinks a paparazzi is. But, if he's convincingly not paparazzi and he has pure motives, then she shouldn't upload that to her social media followers especially showing his face, so that's wrong of Hillary Duff if his motives are pure.

Is social media influencer not a valid profession anymore?! 😊

Last edited:

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Its funny to see the contrast. I remember the thread where a resetera member insulted a "celebrity" then said celebrity responded in kind, which led to a dogpile on said user from celebrities followers. This same forum found that action by the celebrity to be the worst thing ever. Weaponizing followers? How awful! No matter what you called him/her, thats abhorrent!

All that energy..... missing here though. No one even cares.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Its funny to see the contrast. I remember the thread where a resetera member insulted a "celebrity" then said celebrity responded in kind, which led to a dogpile on said user from celebrities followers. This same forum found that action by the celebrity to be the worst thing ever. Weaponizing followers? How awful! No matter what you called him/her, thats abhorrent!

Because this photograpger is a black man with expensive equipment that he shouldnt be able to afford and he need to ask permission from everyone first because of his skin color.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
OP should have included the context that she's had a history of paparazzi stalking her children.

The hive mentality on this website is unsettling.
Yep.
https://gulfnews.com/entertainment/hollywood/hilary-duff-upset-by-paparazzi-stalking-her-children-1.68627233

Actress Hilary Duff expressed her frustration with the paparazzi on Friday and took to Instagram to voice her concern over the way several photographers were unrelentingly following her and her children Luca Cruz Comrie, 7, and Banks Violet Bair, 1.

"Here I am just trying to get around with both my kids and I have paparazzi following me everywhere I go," Duff said.

In the video Duff added: "Two grown men, three actually, one of them is running away. Just follow me and my kids to every location I go to."

"This doesn't seem to me right to say at least in a world where women get all these rights," Duff mother added before turning the camera to her son who seemed terrified.

The 'Lizzie McGuire' star asked her son when she turned that camera on him: "How much do you like the paparazzi follows you? Do you feel sad, huh? Do you hate it?"

You can clearly hear her kids crying in the videos but that's fine because it's legal!

Cokie Bear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

You haven't read the thread then lol. There's plenty of posts calling out her reaction and the fact she weaponized her followers.

Oct 25, 2017
I think we can absolutely call out her clearly racist aggression, but also the fervent defense of someone taking zoom photos of strangers' kids in a park is creepy. Yes, technically legal, but still hella creepy.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
So page 7 and people are still thinking he knew who the fuck is Hillary Duff, who her kid is and the assumption that he was a paparazzi that would sell the photo of post online without consent is not an assumption but a fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.