• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Magni

I don't have time to watch some social media rant, but regarding taking photos of kids you have no relation to (relation meaning things such as being hired to shoot pictures for a youth team, not just family relation ; photos of kids being different from photos of things other than kids with kids coincidentally in the frame) : ask permission first.

I get pissed when random strangers whip out their phone to take pics of my daughter. So far, it's always been Chinese people at airports (my daughter is half-French, half-Japanese), I guess asking for permission is not a thing there?

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
:lol

she's just a mama bear protecting her cubs
it's some coincidence this is the dark man that always in the background when children disappear.
he'll pull out his ID and it says John Q. Candyman, III.
giphy.gif

LastCaress

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
In BC, Canada there is. You should absolutely want your government to give some form of privacy law. It's weird knowing you can be photographed just because you're in public and on purpose and those photos can be sold especially if you're famous.
In Portugal as well. You can't be photographed without your consent, even in public (exceptions apply).

ferunnico

Oct 29, 2017
You must hate the ACLU.

www.aclu.org

Photographers' Rights | American Civil Liberties Union

The ACLU works in courts, legislatures, and communities to defend and preserve the individual rights and liberties that the Constitution and the laws of the United States guarantee everyone in this country.

I don't, actually.

And me questioning if this should be legal doesn't mean I support the actions of power tripping and racist cops who often don't seem to care about your constitutional rights anway.

Maccix

Jan 10, 2018
In the end,all we know is that he was taking pictures to practise and she was filming him to unleash her social media army on him to ruin his day/week/month.

But taking pictures of kids without permission and defending it with "its legal" is not the wisest thing to do I guess.

Aurelioking

Oct 28, 2017
It's just because he had a big and visible camera, other parents were probably taking pictures with their phones and nobody cared. People get reminded of their privacy only when they see a photographer with an apperent camera but tend to not care about people shooting with their phone.

Aria

Nov 21, 2019
She went full on Karen Duff.

Whilst I think paparazzi should burn in the 7th circle of hell. Some random people taking pics? Fill your boots.

Fuckin cringed at the 15 mill followers. Basically threatening to dox the guy. He handled the situation perfectly I think.

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
Only thing I could think of watching that was that interaction wouldn't have happened if he was white.

I think it's absolutely fine to ask a photographer to not take pics, but her attitude was fucking shit from the get go and she stupidly decided to post this on social media, calling the guy out as a creep and so insinuating stuff about him which means he's probably going to get a bunch of abuse.

Fleck0

Oct 25, 2017
You guys really don't find it creepy that he's out there taking pictures of a kids soccer game when he doesn't have a kid playing in it?

I don't know who the guy taking pictures was but I've seen multiple job posting by school districts hiring photographers to shoot the school sports. It's very common look at any local town paper, they cover local school sports and send out photographers as well.

Veldin

Oct 25, 2017
My favorite line out of this is:
"Well, there are children and WE would like to protect them", she says while aggressively confronting a black man and recording him on her phone. She's protecting the kids from the "other". He's not trustworthy, after all. Like goddamn if your racist alarm bells aren't shattered into pieces you're probably not a minority.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
The man's doing nothing wrong, nothing illegal and to basically insinuate that he's a paedophile is disgusting. If anyone should have been reported to the police it was her for harrassing a member of the public.

If you're not happy go up and ask him to stop taking pictures of your child but don't march over and demand someone stop doing they're perfectly entitled to do. Most non-paparazzi photographers are perfectly happy to stop taking photos of people if asked and a simple "Can I please ask that you don't take photos of my child." would have likely done the job.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
not wanting you or your children photographed is one thing but broadcasting her pedo insinuations to the world deserves all the backlash. fuck her.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
and some people were wondering why anyone and everyone can't post willy nilly in the thread for the Staff Meeting with the Black Community but look at all of the gaslighting in here.

sHe deFIniTely DIdN't apPRoaCH hIM BecAUSe oF rAce.

bloodyroarx

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Did she go full stupid with the instagram stuff sure.

But Im sorry as a parent I would of done the same thing, if you are going to practice at a thing like this just ask ahead of time or go find some adults playing a pickup game or something.

random people photographing kids put people on edge it sucks but that's the world we live in

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I don't have a personal problem with this guy but I know at my school, we have to get parental consent before filming or photographing children. I don't know how it works outside that context.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Personally I wouldn't give two fucks if it was my kid. But some people seemingly feel very strongly about it. It is verboten to record and photograph school plays and stuff in many schools in the UK because of these concerns, which really pisses me off.

I don't think he's doing anything intrinsically wrong. If he was asked politely to stop by a parent then that's what he should have done but I haven't watched the video so I don't know if that's what happened.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Is school a public area? Serious question.

In the sense that it is a state function, but there are entities overseeing it such as the state and federal governments as well as the district, and as such it is subject to decades worth of laws and regulations governing things like a parent's right to know and the protection of children in various situations.

lexony

Oct 25, 2017
I understand that she don't want that he takes pictures of her children but I don't like the way she does it. With her smartphone and everything. We even don't know if she speaks for all the parents. It is just stupid.

Last edited:

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To be fair I don't think "it's legal" was really a great argument from the guy. Parents can get uncomfortable when strangers are taking photographs of their kids. Like it or not, that's the world we live in. Saying "well it's legal" doesn't do anything to alleviate that.

I'll happily give the guy the benefit of the doubt here, I don't think he was being a creep and I think it's super fucking shitty of her to threaten him with her Instagram army. But I also don't think it's hard to see why some parents may be uncomfortable with a stranger who has no affiliation with the team or any of the kids playing taking pictures, and using "it's not illegal" as his justification for it. When it comes to taking pictures of kids it doesn't hurt anyone to be a bit more prepared, maybe let the school or organisers know ahead of time that you're going to be there taking pictures and what they're going to be used for.

OP
OP
TheGhost

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
To be fair I don't think "it's legal" was really a great argument from the guy. Parents can get uncomfortable when strangers are taking photographs of their kids. Like it or not, that's the world we live in. Saying "well it's legal" doesn't do anything to alleviate that.

I'll happily give the guy the benefit of the doubt here, I don't think he was being a creep and I think it's super fucking shitty of her to threaten him with her Instagram army. But I also don't think it's hard to see why some parents may be uncomfortable with a stranger who has no affiliation with the team or any of the kids playing taking pictures, and using "it's not illegal" as his justification for it.
and any of those parents could have handled with more tact. Then again if he was white it wouldn't have mattered. There was probably no black child on that soccer field. Which I guess makes it ok for a angry white woman to send a mob of people after him. Hillary Duff.

I just expected better from Lizzie Mcguire.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
and some people were wondering why anyone and everyone can't post willy nilly in the thread for the Staff Meeting with the Black Community but look at all of the gaslighting in here.

sHe deFIniTely DIdN't apPRoaCH hIM BecAUSe oF rAce.

Just what I was thinking as well.

Hillary Duff was definitely racial profiling. I'm sure she would have had the same reaction to a white man. Fuck her.

Cokie Bear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
and any of those parents could have handled with more tact. Then again if he was white it wouldn't have mattered. There was probably no black child on that soccer field. Which I guess makes it ok for a angry white woman to send a mob of people after him. Hillary Duff.

I just expected better from Lizzie Mcguire.

I don't think it's a race thing. I'm white and on more than one occasion I've had someone ask me "who are you here with" (or some variation of) when my kids are playing in the park and I'm sitting nearby watching them.

I also specifically said in my post that it was "super fucking shitty" for her to threaten him with her instagram following so Im really not sure where you got the idea that I felt that was ok.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I can only say that I find the idea of a person filming or taking pictures of kids that aren't his and that taking the pictures or film are not apart of his job to be very disturbing myself.

Now if he was hired by another parent or it's apart of his job then yeah that one thing, but a stranger taking pictures of kids is just weird to me and I do not begrudge any parent taking action against someone like that.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, sure, be uncomfortable that someone was photographing children.

Don't immediately turn your video camera around after arguing this and record them to your 15 million Instagram followers.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
Nobody here looks good. Let's assume the man is innocently practicing photography, which may be the case judgin him on his calm manner and offering to show ID. He was asked to stop taking pictures of her kids, so he should have said "Well I'm not breaking the law, but I will respect your wishes". Her threatening him with 15 million followers? Fuck you, lady, whoever the fuck you are.

OP
OP
TheGhost

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I don't think it's a race thing. I'm white and on more than one occasion I've had someone ask me "who are you hear with" when my kids are playing in the park and I'm sitting nearby watching them.

I also specifically said in my post that it was "super fucking shitty" for her to threading him with her instagram following so Ive really no idea where you got the idea that I felt that was ok.
Probably the fact you don't think it's a race thing is where I got that idea from. I've had people ask me to, and if they approached me with respect I give them respect back. If someone approached me with a camera to my face? I would laugh in their face and start self promoting my business, the camera and lens I'm using, name drop some brands and try to spin a marketing deal out it etc etc

Most photographers would be cool and know how to disarm a parent looking to make a scene. Mostly because you're dealing with people acting on emotion rather than knowing the law. You can call the cops but the cops will never side with you.

Cokie Bear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Probably the fact you don't think it's a race thing is where I got that idea from. I've had people ask me to, and if they approached me with respect I give them respect back. If someone approached me with a camera to my face? I would laugh in their face and start self promoting my business, the camera and lens I'm using, name drop some brands and try to spin a marketing deal out it etc etc

Most photographers would be cool and know how to disarm a parent looking to make a scene. Mostly because you're dealing with people acting on emotion rather than knowing the law. You can call the cops but the cops will never side with you.

I didn't mention race at all in my first post though? You're not making a lot of sense here. I specifically said I didn't think what she did was ok, and you responded saying "well I guess that makes what she did OK then". I'm not sure what part of my post you disagree with.

How you would react in this situation really has no bearing in this discussion, and it especially has nothing to do with anything I said so I'm not sure why you're bringing it up in a response to me?

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
The dude has a legal right to take photos, and may genuinely be doing so in order to practice his craft at slower moving action photography. The fact that he's a dude doesn't automatically give what he's doing a sexual connotation, and I'm pretty sure if he was a younger woman taking photos, she wouldn't have rolled up on him that way.

At the same time, I can understand being rattled at someone who isn't a parent, a friend of a parent, a relative of any kid, or someone professionally hired by the sports team taking photos of individuals who tend to be more vulnerable than other people in society.

Duff could certainly be acting how he is in part due to him being black, but that isn't the only thing that may prompt a response like hers, regardless of if her fears are founded or not.

Sparkedglory2

Nov 3, 2017
I get where she's coming from, but she's absolutely wrong in the way she approached him. You don't just throw out random accusations and then put a person on blast like that without being 100% sure what the situation is.

jawzpause

Nov 7, 2017
Wow not sure if it's the accent but she really sounds annoying af. Maybe the guy should have asked for permission first but there was no need to post him on insta and make him look like a creep

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
"uncomftorbility"
organized sports often has non-parents present for one reason or another. this is just racist bullshit.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
I don't think I would care. Americans are so paranoid and scared of each other. If that's a thing he does all the time then I don't think it's weird.

Publishing of pictures should always have consent tho.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2017
That's not creepy. Photographers do this all the time to practice certain events. The self-righteous "I have 15 mil followers" is cringe.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
Yea not cool of her.

I can understand why a parent might not want a stranger to take pictures of their kids in public but this has to be the worst way to confront the situation.

The moment she was recording and walking up to him, you knew she had an agenda and as soon as she started talking you could tell she had already made significant assumptions about the guy.

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
In most parts of the USA you're legally allowed to film or take photos of anything in a public area, since there's no expectation of privacy

Now personally I wouldn't take long range shots of people's kids playing soccer without asking permission first but it is allowed

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
If your are a real photographer, who respects there subjects, you already have that Metadata turned off.

If you don't, truth is that you don't care. Neither does the dozens of people take pictures at the same event. So what is the real difference?

It doesn't matter if they turn it off as long as the photo can still be found with a web crawler or is uploaded to social media. You are still effectively profiting off of someone else's personal information without their consent.

People supposedly don't care about being tracked on social media or other places online. I think people just don't realize how this affects them and how we are slowly losing the ability to be anonymous in public.

zoozilla

Avenger
Jun 9, 2018
Japan
I can understand a parent's desire to protect their kids, but Duff's specific reaction here clearly had racial implications. She does not come out looking good.

i understand what you saying, but im saying all of that is irrelevant.

there is no expectation of privacy in public spaces, period. and there should never be.

That's also the argument that put upskirt photography under the "technically legal" umbrella until some states passed specific laws banning the practice.

Bjomesphat

Nov 5, 2017
I think people are looking at the escalation, and not where it started.

I mean, she asked the guy to not take pictures of her kids because he has no affiliation with the team whatsoever, and his response is essentially no. Take away his calm and respectful response, and her confrontational attitude, we're still talking about a guy not having the basic decency to respect the wishes of a parent. That's not normal. Has nothing to do with legality or not.

Even for an amateur photographer, it's a bit strange to practice action shots on 7 year olds. Like find a highschool or adult rec league to shoot, why young kids? You'd probably get better action photography with people walking to work in the city than young kids trying to play sports.

HotAndTender

Dec 6, 2017
Does she have permission to post a video of him online? That's my question if she's coming up with this front that he's not allowed to take photographs.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. I thought that was pretty clear. 1A doesn't distinguish between people and press in public. The right to take a photo in public is just as fundamental as any other right granted by the BoR.
I'm not a constitutional scholar or anything like that but looking over the text it doesn't appear that's the case. If you have a court case or something that says otherwise I'd be interested in reading it.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Her assy attitude "Uhm, EXCUSSSSE me!..." etc is way over the top, but he doesn't really help himself by immediately going to "well it's legal". It very well might be legal, but courtesy would suggest asking permission from whoever is in charge first given that he's there alone and has no connection to any of the young kids he's photographing.

All this could just be ironed out so easily if people didn't get all righteous indignation from the very first beat of the interaction (Duff). This is so typical of these viral confrontations where people overreact immediately because the adrenaline kicks in and they feel powerful from holding a phone to someone's face. She could just go over there and ask calmly and then go find someone in charge and he could ask them if it's ok to take action shots of the game, and he could email them a link to his flickr account or whatever. It could be a regular gig even. People just need to step off and take a breath, if something is not right, then it will escalate naturally, no need to go in guns blazing.

Oct 25, 2017
in this thread we reveal a how naive and white most of the posters are and how little they know about their fundamental rights.
You have no expectation of privacy in a public place, you should all know that by now, most of you are adults.
If an irate white lady walks up to me no I'm not going to comply with her unreasonable demands

Bjomesphat

Nov 5, 2017
User Banned (2 weeks): Dismissive commentary around racism
in this thread we reveal a how naive and white most of the posters are and how little they know about their fundamental rights.
You have no expectation of privacy in a public place, you should all know that by now, most of you are adults.
If an irate white lady walks up to me no I'm not going to comply with her unreasonable demands

I work exclusively in the youth sports and school portrait industry. Parents of all races freak out about their kid's privacy, even when they're in a private space, getting their picture taken from a professional photographer, hired specifically from the school or league.

Telling a parent to shove off even though you're a random person taking a picture of their kid in a public space is just being a dick for no reason. Regardless of what their attitude is.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
If someone took pictures of me in puclic I would be pretty mad. I imagine it'd be worse if it was someone's kids. Don't do it.

Oct 25, 2017
I work exclusively in the youth sports and school portrait industry. Parents of all races freak out about their kid's privacy, even when they're in a private space, getting their picture taken from a professional photographer, hired specifically from the school or league.

Telling a parent to shove off even though you're a random person taking a picture of their kid in a public space is just being a dick for no reason. Regardless of what their attitude is.
Nah it's not

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
Holy fuck some of these takes in this thread...Era members really in here saying the black man should kindly ask these white people if he can exercise his 1A rights????

Nothing creepy about someone not hiding and practicing their photography, hell parents should have just been chill and introduced themselves like civil people, asked a few kind questions if they were worried to put their kind at ease and probably could have scored some great pictures of their kids game but nope...

Would everyone in here trying to shit on this guy even bat an eye at this lady doing the same?

1515135672-shutterstock_284581649.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.