• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
He, he's an older black dude with a crazy white lady threatening to call the cops on him for a made up violation.

He doesn't need to deal with that shit.
she didn't only threaten it, she did it, and the cops just asked her "what do you want us to do?" which is a very cop-like question that I get asked by police officers all the time.

and later on her 15 million follower instagram she goes on about how "if he was really 'practicing photography' for however long" like he should have just taken a couple pictures of her kid and left...unless he was actually there to practice using his camera...

Oct 25, 2017
The more I think about this the angrier I get.

Fuck this racist ex-celeb and hats off to this guy for reacting as calmly as he did.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
When I was new to the hobby I was on vacay hanging in a park with sprinklers and kids running around. I took some great shots of kids playing around in the water...

...then I realized im a huge black dude seemingly solo (girlfriend was elsewhere in the area)

I stopped and walked away, but I felt kinda shitty like I knew I was doing nothing wrong, just practicing shots, but I knew all it would take would be one parent to complain and there goes my day.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
When I was new to the hobby I was on vacay hanging in a park with sprinklers and kids running around. I took some great shots of kids playing around in the water...

...then I realized im a huge black dude seemingly solo (girlfriend was elsewhere in the area)

I stopped and walked away, but I felt kinda shitty like I knew I was doing nothing wrong, just practicing shots, but I knew all it would take would be one parent to complain and there goes my day.

You know it's such a horrible shame that you even had to feel that way.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck her, call the police if it's illegal
she did, they told her it wasn't.
i'm sure she would have preferred they come down and ask him to respect her wishes as a mother and a human being. or cuff him and throw him into the back of their car and take his "creepy" ass downtown. either one.

smocaine

Oct 30, 2019
User Banned (2 weeks): Dismissive commentary around racism
How has this got anything to do with race?
Dude is at a child's football game. The attendance is all going to be family members/relatives. But then you've got one dude out of the pack, standing on the sidelines, alone, who you don't know, taking pictures? How is that not creepy?
She acted a bit youknowwhat, but was within her rights to do so, and both could've resolved it a lot easier. I would've asked the ref if I could take pics.
Not saying he's in the wrong, 'it's legal', but c'mon... have some social awareness.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
its because hes black.

if it was a cute white dude i doubt she would have reacted the way she did. people dont care what you do when your attractive.

1) i dont think he was doing anything wrong
2) i think this was because he was black
3) that said ive felt nervous bringing my camera to events with my kids or my neice and nephew for this exact reason. People see a big camera and a big lens and freak out.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
You guys really don't find it creepy that he's out there taking pictures of a kids soccer game when he doesn't have a kid playing in it?
Not unless the photographer is like being creepy about it like licking lips or some shit.

And as a street photographer myself, I'd stop to take a photo if it caught my eye or interests even if it's kids playing sports.

Last edited:

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think you should be able to take pictures of people without their consent unless is for safety or legal reasons. Plus there are plenty of paparazzi creeps out there looking to make a quick buck by invading people's personal lives.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can see where she's coming from as a parent, but taking a video before even confronting him then quickly telling him she'll unleash her 15 million followers on him makes her look bad. The dude seemed like he was legit just practicing photography. If it makes you feel uncomfortable then all right, just talk to him, don't go straight to, "Ooh, I'm gonna be making this viral!" Now her fans are gonna jump on a guy who was most likely just practicing photography.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Not unless the photography is like being creepy about it like licking lips or some shit.

And as a street photographer myself, I'd stop to take a photo if it caught my eye or interests even if it's kids playing sports.

Having done a lot of street photography myself I agree with this. The only time I ask for permission is if I want an close up or to take a picture of a specific person for some reason.

Eh, he may not have been doing anything wrong, but I land in the "stop taking pictures of kids if their parent ask you to" camp.
And that's fair. But if you are going to ask the person to stop, don't do it by beginning to film them like they are a criminal and threatening to call the police.

I've been asked to even delete photos before and when asked politely I do.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I don't think you should be able to take pictures of people without their consent unless is for safety or legal reasons. Plus there are plenty of paparazzi creeps out there looking to make a quick buck by invading people's personal lives.

Let me say, I am all about paparazzi laws. That shit is sick. But taking pictures in a public space should always be legal.

Oct 28, 2017
It's no harm in asking him why he's taking pictures of kids. He gave a reasonable response and although I hate the "It's legal" response, no one is wrong here, they just disagree.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I'm in the "dont take photos of other people without asking" camp. It's not your right to just.. take someones photo if they dont want it.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Duff sucks with this wildly inappropriate overreaction. However, if an unaffiliated random was standing off and taking pictures of your kids, a parent is definitely going to look into that and feel creeped out.

Oct 26, 2017
I can see where she's coming from as a parent, but taking a video before even confronting him then quickly telling him she'll unleash her 15 million followers on him makes her look bad. The dude seemed like he was legit just practicing photography. If it makes you feel uncomfortable then all right, just talk to him, don't go straight to, "Ooh, I'm gonna be making this viral!" Now her fans are gonna jump on a guy who was most likely just practicing photography.
This is a good take.
I think that part was definitely racial.
A white dude taking pictures of other's kids would still be creepy but he'd have been approached without filming him.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Let me say, I am all about paparazzi laws. That shit is sick. But taking pictures in a public space should always be legal.

I think maybe in the past it made sense, but with all the data that's tied to a single JPEG such as location data coupled with the rise of facial recognition I think that's another story. Your data ends up being out there and used without your consent because some photographer wanted to expand their portfolio or even just have some fun.

Even if the photographer is using a personal blog and not something like Instagram you still have companies that comb through Google Images for facial recognition data and build tools that further threaten people's privacy.

A hobbyist photographer even under the most noble intentions becomes another cog in surveillance capitalism. If taking pictures in public without their permission is legal then those laws should definitely be updated.

Glasfrut

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
He told her that he was practicing. That's reasonable.

You're talking about a black man who's being approached by a white woman in an accusatory fashion with the preconceived notion that he has some nefarious plan. He picked up on it immediately as evident by the video. His reaction makes sense. This clearly wasn't his first rodeo with racism.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
He told her that he was practicing. That's reasonable.

You're talking about a black man who's being approached by a white woman in an accusatory fashion with the preconceived notion that he has some nefarious plan. He picked up on it immediately as evident by the video. His reaction makes sense. This clearly wasn't his first rodeo with racism.
Preach.

Oct 25, 2017
Only true if he had to pay for a ticket to get in. Then he would only need to get permission from the athletic commission in charge of the event. For local kids sports that is not too difficult.
Best practice for photographers is to get a model release for any identifiable person in a photo they're going to use commercially. There may be hard requirements if you're at a private event (like a ticketed event,) but no stock photo house or advertising firm is going to touch a photo with a kid without a release. For example, here's what's on the first page of iStock/Getty's page about selling photos on their site:

A release is required for all content that includes recognizable people or properties.

You must have written permission from an individual or property owner allowing the use of that person's likeness or property (for example, a private home, a place of business) for commercial purposes.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We were at a theme park a few years ago and a random guy, not staff, tried to take photos of my then 2yo son chasing some birds. I had to step in front of him and ask him not to do it, to which he said nothing and walked off. It felt creepy as fuck.

Trying to leverage IG in her favour is a bad look, but I can't honestly say I'd be happy with a random person taking photos of my kid in any circumstance.

Oct 25, 2017
Nikon legit *just* released a huge autofocus update to their Z Cameras, he was very probably testing out the new tracking functionality in a non job-on-the-line environment.

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
Also, the idea that someone who has been famous for nearly 20 years and followed by paparazzi for about as long is unfounded in being worried about people who are randomly taking pictures around her and/or her children is, well, dismissing a lot of context and life experience.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I'm in the "dont take photos of other people without asking" camp. It's not your right to just.. take someones photo if they dont want it.

If you are in the US and in public, it literally is a fundamental right.

If taking pictures in public without their permission is legal then those laws should definitely be updated.

Good luck repealing 1A. You'll have the support of the police unions, but not much else.

motherless

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I think the decent thing to do is the moment you're asked to not take photos of kids that aren't yours in public is to kindly say, "Sure, no problem, I can go take photos of other things." You don't really gain points by going, "It's not illegal" with regards to taking photos of kids that aren't yours.

Yup, same with general street photography.

Most likely he damn well knew who she was and was their with intent to get her images or her kids. A high end mirrorless and 70-200mm isn't something somebody new to photography is typically walking around with.

Bonafide

Oct 11, 2018
thank god for the first amendment

definitely one area where ill unironically say facts dont care about your feelings

the public is recorded knowingly or unknowingly by millions of cameras everyday but the second you add a human element to it people freak the fuck out and show their ignorance of their rights

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Good luck repealing 1A. You'll have the support of the police unions, but not much else.

Are you talking about the first amendment? I am talking about hobbyists and businesses. Not the press. I also never said I was in favor of banning police officers or public figures being filmed. I'm talking about private citizens and children.

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, same with general street photography.

Most likely he damn well knew who she was and was their with intent to get her images or her kids. A high end mirrorless and 70-200mm isn't something somebody new to photography is typically walking around with.

You are right, he wouldn't be new to photography with that setup, but he could very well be testing out the very new autofocus upgrade Nikon literally *just* released for his high end camera setup (including changes to it's real time tracking modes) in a non-professional environment.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Are you talking about the first amendment? I am talking about hobbyists and businesses. Not the press. I also never said I was in favor of banning police officers. I'm talking about private citizens and children.
He's talking about Police unions supporting the fact that you want to ban letting regular ass folks from taking photos and videos cause that just means less shit they have to worry about when they brutalize and murder black people.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Any man taking photos of other peoples kids without permission is going to have people freak out, if being called a creep is all that happens you're lucky.

You don't do that.

Bonafide

Oct 11, 2018
Are you talking about the first amendment? I am talking about hobbyists and businesses. Not the press. I also never said I was in favor of banning police officers or public figures being filmed. I'm talking about private citizens and children.

if you want privacy stay in a private area such as your home.

trying to weaken your 1A rights because people can get irrational is just shooting yourself in the foot.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
He's talking about Police unions supporting the fact that you want to ban letting regular ass folks from taking photos and videos cause that just means less shit they have to worry about when they brutalize and murder black people.

I never said I wanted that. I specifically mentioned legal reasons as an exception, which filming police officers and other public figures would be.

Some random hobbyist or pro photographer shouldn't be able to take my likeness and put my personal information out there without my consent. Especially if it helps them monetarily.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Idk I think it's weird to be photographing children playing when there is zero personal or professional/business connection to any kid or an event.

I personally like taking photos with nice cameras of things and places. But I always try to avoid capturing people. Especially kids. Public or not.

Oct 25, 2017
That was for animals, released about a week ago. Eye auto focus was released quite a bit back.

Nope, Animal Eye-AF was just one small part of the 3.0 autofocus update, It included changes to how you invoke auto tracking that bring it a lot closer to the old Nikon 3D tracking behavior, as well as under-the-hood improvements to that function and AF function as a whole.

It's a gigantic update.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
I never said I wanted that. I specifically mentioned legal reasons as an exception, which filming police officers and other public figures would be.

Some random hobbyist or pro photographer shouldn't be able to take my likeness and put my personal information out there without my consent. Especially if it helps them monetarily.
Yea good luck getting determining what reasons are legal and what reasons are illegal when a cop chokes out a poor guy and the cops claims he was resisting arrest.

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
Would you ask this question if he was a woman?

I'd say weird instead of creepy, and I'd still ask it.

For me, if someone's taking pictures of my kid relatives and I ask them to stop and they don't, I'm gonna get pissed. As a photographer, if the subject or the parent of a subject (if you're taking pictures of a group of people like here) asks you to stop taking pictures of them, you do it out of common courtesy. I don't care if it's legal, it's pretty rude not to.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
if you want privacy stay in a private area such as your home.

trying to weaken your 1A rights because people can get irrational is just shooting yourself in the foot.

How am I weakening the first amendment? Please explain because I haven't called for that at all.

All you're doing is enriching corporations that profit off metadata. These are individuals making money off of people's data which to me is a violation of privacy.

Yea good luck getting determining what reasons are legal and what reasons are illegal when a cop chokes out a poor guy and the cops claims he was resisting arrest.

Sounds about the same as today if I'm being honest.

Please don't twist my argument. I never called for police to be immune from filming and I would be actively against such a proposal. I am only referring to non-public figures and children.

Bonafide

Oct 11, 2018

its on you to protect your personal information, not everyone else.

again, unless you're some kind of a hermit your "likeness" is already out there whether in public record or just being picked up on cameras everywhere if someone wants to look you up.

motherless

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Dismissing Concerns of Racism; Prior Severe Ban for Racist Trolling
Nope, Animal Eye-AF was just one small part of the 3.0 autofocus update, It included changes to how you invoke auto tracking that bring it a lot closer to the old Nikon 3D tracking behavior, as well as under-the-hood improvements to that function and AF function as a whole.

It's a gigantic update.

I deleted as when I read about it last week I didn't read about the enhanced tracking. I was too slow on the delete.

I'm still skeptical he just happened to be practicing on a celebrity and or her kid. Probably not the first time he's used that line at a event involving a celebrity. I of course could be wrong.

Regardless of who it is I would stop and delete pics if asked if I was doing as hobby.

Oct 28, 2017
I'd say weird instead of creepy, and I'd still ask it.

For me, if someone's taking pictures of my kid relatives and I ask them to stop and they don't, I'm gonna get pissed. As a photographer, if the subject or the parent of a subject (if you're taking pictures of a group of people like here) asks you to stop taking pictures of them, you do it out of common courtesy. I don't care if it's legal, it's pretty rude not to.
Do you think it's important to not go at this photographer immediately labeling them as a creep? I mean, you're gonna lose people really fast by doing that and it will less likely get you to take you up on your request.

Status
Not open for further replies.