• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Best Danganronpa game

Votes: 56 23.6%

Votes: 84 35.4%
  • V3

Votes: 93 39.2%
  • UDG

Votes: 4 1.7%

• Total voters

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
My vote goes to V3.
Chapter 1 made my cry while Chapter 6 is my favorite ending in any game period.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
You know, I see a lot of people say 2 is their favorite. But outside the character designs, I felt it was the weakest out of the trilogy personally.
I can't exactly put a finger on as to why, but I just wasn't as engrossed with it like I was with the others.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
V3 and it's not even close. DR1 fell apart for me halfway through the game and DR2 fell apart for me at the ending.

Not only does V3 never fall apart, but the ending is one of the best endings of any video game ever.

DR2 has my favorite cast tho

V3 >>>>> DR2 > UDG > DR1

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I can't remember if I liked the first game or the second better. It was probably the second.

Definitely not the 3rd one.

Seth Balmore

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Maybe it's the novelty factor, but 1 has always been my favorite. It feels like the most well-rounded entry and it has my favorite story and class trials.

2 has a fantastic case near the end and a terrific soundtrack, but I couldn't stand half of the cast.

UDG was okay. I didn't hate it. Remove Komaru and Fukawa though and the game is worthless imho.

V3 might have been my favorite if Kodaka didn't take Kaede away from us. I'm still mad.
I loved the ending in concept, but the execution was pretty grating.

Last edited:

Trelova

Banned
Apr 8, 2020
despite my disdain for the ending, V3 is the strongest entry overall. Shuichi and his fantastic development throughout the game, actual building relationships in-story with Maki and Kaito who are both lovable, and of course Case 1 just being godly

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
You know, I see a lot of people say 2 is their favorite. But outside the character designs, I felt it was the weakest out of the trilogy personally.
I can't exactly put a finger on as to why, but I just wasn't as engrossed with it like I was with the others.
2's my favorite, but 1 definitely has the better setting and is much more atmospheric/immersive.

Oct 25, 2017
While I do like UDG, I'll be surprised if that shit even makes it to 3 votes.
I don't think the story is all that bad, but playing it is not that great.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
V3 has the best ending, 2 has the best cases on average and best cast, 1 has the best atmosphere.

Lol UDG

Mega lol Anime DR3.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
V3 for sure. The whole trilogy is fantastic but even being the third in the series V3 managed to really surprise me, not once, but twice.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
V3 has that dumb Kaede fakeout and the main cast is eh outside of a few characters, so that drops it in my eyes.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
The first is easily the best one to me. Gelled a lot more with the setting and general setup, 2 has the best case in the series but didn't grab me as much otherwise, V3 is a pretty big mess even outside of the plot twists.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
It's a close match between 2 and V3. Shuichi is easily the best protagonist in the series, but I think 2 has the strongest cast overall. V3 and 2 both have great endings, although 2's finale was retroactively damaged with that godawful anime. 2 also has the single best case in the series, and probably the best cases in general. Worst minigames though.

I'd go with 2.

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
V3 has the best cases (1-5-6) and the best story, so that.
I don't know which of D1-D2 is the follow up though: DR1 has a better story than D2 imho, but D2 is so sick and they went all in with the craziness of the killing game (the fifth class trial is so cool).

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
V3 has the worst ending and that's saying something considering this's danganronpa we're talking about, so 2.

Jan 11, 2018
Dunedin, New Zealand
I loved all three to the point where I haven't even considered how I'd rate them against each other. I'd probably go V3 > 1 > 2.

V3 for the insanity of the ending, and I'd put 1 over 2 just for the originality. DR2 probably does a lot of things better, but going into DR1 completely blind was a great experience.

Buzzth

Jan 15, 2018
Japan
I think the best game overall is V3 by a long shot, but the best story pacing was 2. First one is also a very solid game too.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
We had a poll about this a year ago and it was like dead even between the main 3, really interesting.

Anyway, 2 is the best, one of my favorite games ever. 1 is okay, and V3 is terrible.

Oct 25, 2017
V3 is easily the best one and has the best ending, 2 is great but I don't like the final case/ending, 1 fine but clearly the worse of the trilogy.

UDG and the anime are trash.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
The danganronpa v3 boardgame where everyone lives.
I have a hard time answering this, it's like Ace Attorney where I can acknowledge that the first game is significantly worse in a lot of ways, but at the same time I didn't know anything before playing it and it felt far more memorable/special to me.

Oct 27, 2017
I will say this however, 2 has the best antagonist. And by that I mean
obviously Nagito, none of that Junko mastermind shit. Junko always sucked, her character and backstory were never interesting or believable even within the realm of danganronpa, it felt like shock value for the sake of it and I guess we needed a mundane reason for the killing game existing in the first place. No, the real antagonists of each danganronpa game were the sick fucks you were trapped with and whose shenanigans you had to endure while trying to survive.

DR1 didn't have an antagonist in that sense AFAIK, maybe Celeste since she was the only one who tried to play the game to her benefit and tricked people. Nagito however was the star of 2, even during his death he pulled a masterful troll on the surviving cast while actually making use of his ultimate talent. Kokichi is the obvious pick for V3 and his joker-esque deranged persona was great, but he felt too much like Nagito 2.0 and in the end sided with the 'good guys' anyway.

Jave

Oct 30, 2017
Chile
DR2 > DRV3 > DR1. Haven't played UDG.

DR2 has the best cast, best single case (2-5) and best endgame team, and unlike V3 it doesn't rely heavily on its plot twists to shock the player. Also the Case 1 twist in V3 will forever be a dark cloud for me.

DR1 played it too safe in comparison to the later two games, with the last two cases being quite unremarkable.

Seth Balmore

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
DR2 has the best cast, best single case (2-5) and best endgame team
Seriously?
I'd take 3 Hiros and 2 Himikos over Akane and Kazuichi. I get that all the games need to have the unlikable, waste of space character/s who make it to the end, but those 2 have zero redeeming qualities...
Fuyuhiko had a fantastic character arc though, I'll give you that.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'm shocked v3 is winning currently. I loved v3 and think the ending is personally one of my favorite endings in games and surprisingly poingnant for a series that typically had little else to say besides staying "strong in the face of adversity" which was the central theme of the others. Instead, it bucks the whole series and makes its own path. Mad respect.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017

Personally I like the atmosphere of the first one way more. I guess it was kind of interesting that they did a super hard turn and set it on a tropical paradise and made it seem like a vacation, it was definitely cool trying to figure out just what the hell was going on, but I preferred the horror vibe of the original game. It got old watching Monokuma fight with the bunny character, the mechs were a bit much, the characters seemed far more trope-y to me (I got sick of the pervert dude almost immediately). It was cool seeing the later areas open up, but the ending was kind of whatever IMO. The first game felt much more grounded, and the twists were really impactful. 2's twists were alright, but it really felt like they were going out of their way to write crazy bullshit for the sake of it. I think your opinion of the two games probably weighs on your appetite for nonsense for nonsense's sake. I haven't played V3 yet but I hear it goes even further in that direction.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
I never played V3 because I recall there was a lot of backlash saying it was crap.

Has the majority opinion shifted or did I get an incorrect read on it the first time?

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
It's V3. 1 and 2 take a while to get going, V3 starts going fucking OFF from case 1 and doesn't stop until the game is over. The minigames and like mechanics of how each murder happens are definitely the best. It also has a dope ending twist, though the execution left a little to be desired, IMO, but I still liked it.

2 has the best cast, my favorite case in the franchise in case 5, and takes the narrative arc from 1 in a direction that builds on it pretty organically though.

I never played V3 because I recall there was a lot of backlash saying it was crap.

Has the majority opinion shifted or did I get an incorrect read on it the first time?

Opinions were pretty mixed on V3 at launch, it seems people have opened up to it over time? I think a lot of the DanganRonpa diehards were already kind of soured on the series because 3 (the anime) sucked. I played it a little over half a year after release and was just completely shocked at how completely dope it was when it seemed like no one talked about it.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
2 has the best overall story and the best individual cases, though I do like the humour a bit more in 1. I think 3 is a bit of a mess. The first case is extremely shaky (only partially saved by the later twist) and the main twist of the game is just extremely over the top. Still a good game though. So for me 2>1>V3 (>UDG).

Oct 25, 2017
The danganronpa v3 boardgame where everyone lives.
I have a hard time answering this, it's like Ace Attorney where I can acknowledge that the first game is significantly worse in a lot of ways, but at the same time I didn't know anything before playing it and it felt far more memorable/special to me.
How is Ace Attorney 1 significantly worse than its sequels?

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California

The first case has a pretty big gut punch right from the word "go", and then the final case is very divisive (mostly because of a disconnect some folks seem to have with what the game is actually saying, but that's a thread for another day). The gameplay is the best that it's ever been, it's got the best character development in the cast, and overall its easily the best in the series.

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
Just realized I never stated my order! It's 2 > V3 > 1

V3 has the highest highs, but is brought down by shit like the Exisals and Monokubs. 2 is consistently fantastic imo.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

It's crap, but it got mixed reception for a reason. Might as well play it for yourself and see where you fall.

AFI-kun

Oct 31, 2017
I think Danganronpa 2 is the closest thing to "perfect" that I've played in the genre but hoooo boyyyy V3 has one of the best executions of the concept it's going for. The point its trying to make is absolutely not unique to V3 but man, what a way to do it. I still think about that game every day.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
2 has Nagito and Chiaki who are by far the best characters in the series and I thought all the cases were great. So that's an easy win for me.

V3 has the best overall cast (there was only one I didn't like) and the ending was fantastic but the early cases didn't do it for me. 1 has mostly good cases except for the last and I didn't care for most of the characters. And UDG is just a shit game.

ventuno

Nov 11, 2019
2 was my favorite (stronger cast, better protagonist, better twists save for the mastermind) but V3 not only gets what makes SDR2 work, but it addresses the series' strengths and weaknesses in such a bold way on top of everything else that I can't not pick it as my favorite.