• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Bunch of idiots voted out a decent NDP government. Now the UCP is slashing business taxes by 50% over the next 4 years while simultaneously decimating services and slashing budgets to municipalities.

I'm sure he will start dumping teacher pensions into O&G next while blaming Trudeau.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
The company I work for has been investing its ass off in downstream expansions lately and it seems like the worst timing.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Oil prices crashed as much as 30 per cent within seconds of the market opening on Sunday evening after Saudi Arabia launched an aggressive price war over the weekend, driving crude to its lowest level in four years. The sell-off followed the collapse of Saudi Arabia's oil-cutting alliance on Friday, with Russia refusing to make deeper cuts to output despite the sharp hit to demand from the coronavirus outbreak. Saudi Arabia's response — to raise output and offer its crude at unprecedented price discounts — came despite a weakening economy and the threat of coronavirus becoming a global pandemic sapping demand for transport and fuel.

(...)
Brent crude, the international benchmark, dropped from $45 a barrel to $31.52 a barrel in one of the biggest one-day drops in its history, with traders spooked by Saudi Arabia's decision to launch an effective price war just days after trying to secure a deal with Opec and Russia to reduce production.

(...)
The sharp drop for oil sent shockwaves through global financial markets. US stock futures tumbled in Asian trading, with the S&P 500 expected to drop 5 per cent when Wall Street opens later on Monday and the FTSE 100 tipped to fall 3.7 per cent. Asia-Pacific equities fell sharply, with Sydney's S&P/ASX 200 down 5.4 per cent and on track for its worst one-day fall since the global financial crisis. In Tokyo the Topix fell 4.2 per cent. Investors piled into haven assets, driving the 10-year US Treasury yield down more than a quarter of a percentage point to 0.4949 per cent, a record low. Yields fall as bond prices rise. Gold jumped 1.3 per cent to $1,694.42 per ounce. (...)"

https://www.ft.com/content/dab75720-618a-11ea-a6cd-df28cc3c6a68

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
ESoAMGWXgAMb67z

"It was an honor gaslighting with you all."

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
This isn't good news neither for the US nor OPEC countries, it's gonna hurt countries like Iran, Iraq, Venezuela badly and it's gonna hurt US Shale oil companies.

This has been the aim of Putin's strategy for OPEC+, Russia already made reserves for Oil slumping, the Saudis are being idiots and I think the US will intervene once this price war starts killing US Shale exports.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm in Los Angeles and based on this thread, 35% of Era is in California.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
Rosneft execs falling out of windows, Maduro hopping on those planes full of gold and telling them to punch it somewhere, anywhere rn.

You think he actually gives a shit about Florida Man? He cares about US instability, Florida Man or the markets, it doesn't matter both are very detrimental to US power.

Puppets are an investment, and puppets who are ALSO good money launderers are even more valuable!

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Why doesn't the stock market trust in Trump's power to stop the corona virus?

Kevinception

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2020
Fuck, I am so confused. I thought cheap oil would be a good thing

expensive or cheap oil has the same end, so it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

the "good thing" is any country that can ween themselves off the addiction and necessity of oil consumption. That's the goal. The pricing of oil doesn't really motivate that either way.

it's like saying "they are practically giving away heroine and cocaine now! Why isn't this a good thing??"

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
The pipeline really shouldnt have been drama in the first place.
The irony of celebrating Saudi Arabia screwing with world markets, decimating local oil markets and blocking the security of your own supply is mildly amusing. Events like this are actually why one should support stabilizing your own industries, provided you've done your due diligence and impact studies.

The reality is, places like Alberta are small time players on the world stage when it comes to oil production but the middle east has the power to grind economies to a halt on a whim. Diversifying an economy is one thing, diversifying your supply chain is another.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
The irony of celebrating Saudi Arabia screwing with world markets, decimating local oil markets and blocking the security of your own supply is mildly amusing. Events like this are actually why one should support stabilizing your own industries, provided you've done your due diligence and impact studies

I seem to recall Trudeau's dad wanting to do something like that.

It didn't go over well.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017

Let's spend $100M to create 500 jobs!

Taxpayers will clean up their fucking mess.

I bet you that ending the tech credit program probably cost that many jobs (existing or planned) too.

USP: "Look we're going to create 500 jobs!"

What about the thousands in government, education, and health care related jobs you've eliminated or plan on eliminating?

UCP: "Those aren't real jobs. The only real jobs here in Alberta are oil and gas jobs."