• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Went early this morning and filled up the tank (it was in the red). Cheapest I've paid for a full tank in Los Angeles for years, even better in that I only drive five blocks max to the grocery store or take out joints maybe two/three times a week.

A Grizzly Bear

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
it will go down more , storage is not unlimited, at some point, oil production has to stop to match demand?
It is stopping. People need to realize the changes to the market are happening fast and shutting all of this down takes time. My company, which is one of the larger mid-tier service companies, has just finished shutting down what we could this week. That means up until last week or the week before we were still extracting oil. That oil still needs to end up somewhere. The lag continues down the supply chain.

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Literally negative value

R5sgE5y.jpg

suedester

Oct 25, 2017
Can I buy a load of barrels and then sell them when it invariably goes back up to $50+ a barrel again?

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
And there's no way to directly or indirectly invest in oil or companies that are very dependent on the value of oil, correct?

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Wait it's $4 a barrel?!? So why is that only still 2 gallons at the pump??

If it stays around here I'd guess in about 2-4 weeks it would be below a 1$ a gallon in some places. But I don't know how the price works, I doubt gas stations will go that far down because they have to remain in the green somehow.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
If it stays around here I'd guess in about 2-4 weeks it would be below a 1$ a gallon in some places. But I don't know how the price works, I doubt gas stations will go that far down because they have to remain in the green somehow.

Yeah it will take a week or two I'm sure at these prices. But why wouldn't they be in the green still if they're able to buy barrels for this cheap right now?

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
if it will not go negative today, tomorrow then

oil companies will pay you to store their oil lol

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it will take a week or two I'm sure at these prices. But why wouldn't they be in the green still if they're able to buy barrels for this cheap right now?

I don't know. The only thing I do know is oil is lagged by a few weeks. I don't know how the price is set at stations. Some states have higher oil taxes than others.

Now is a good time to apply a little boost to the oil tax though, to help rebuild our infrastructure.

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
WTF is going on?! I can't understand what that would mean for the economy.

This is a short term thing where producers are basically giving oil away rather than pay to store it. This is also shale oil that has to be heavily processed to make gas or plastic. It means that we are going to see a fall in production soon that will hurt states dependent on the oil industry for revenue but everyone else will save some.

What's the mechanism that keeps WTI landlocked? Agreements?

WTI literally is West Texas Intermediate. The fields out in west Texas are so spread out it costs a lot to haul oil to a pipleline so it can be shipped to Houston for processing.