• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
The vast, vast, vast majority of teachers do not want to bring guns to school. I'd be surprised to find many who will. While eventually there will be an incident between a teacher and a student over a gun, I think more than anything it's just going to be performative nothing that just doesn't address the issue at all.

Fun fact for the kiddies not in Ohio. This governor is too moderate for multiple republicans in Ohio. They want even more of this and are trying to get him out. I really wish the cities had more voting power here than the fucking rednecks.

Yeah, he's worried about the effect some of the more extreme laws would have on Ohio's economy, so not allowing some of it makes him more moderate than the scorched Earth Republicans that don't care about the consequences.

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
Yeah just what we need, middle aged teachers who can barely figure out Zoom calls to handle active shooter situations.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Definitely only gonna be a matter of time until we get stories about teachers threatening students with guns or worse, actually shooting them.
Fuck these people so fucking much.

loco

Jan 6, 2021
I doubt any teacher will bring a gun to school after this passes. Maybe one or two, but no way that many more

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
It so fucking crazy to me that rather than address the problem of gun violence and school shootings they go l; "let's add more guns to the situation by arming the teachers!"

"…and you still get shit pay too."

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
And when no teachers want to participate cause they're not fucking paid to be bodyguards, Republicans will say "It's the teachers fault for not arming themselves! They're to blame!"

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand. I thought teachers were indoctrinating kids and couldn't be trusted so the GOP is giving them guns?

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
This will drive out many of the few teachers still hanging on. If that happens here that will be the day I leave teaching as well. Obviously they don't care, they've been trying to destroy education for decades anyway. A few dead kids is a small price to pay.

I've said it before and I agree. If it ever happens in Michigan I'm quitting that day.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
My wife would quit teaching before being forced to carry a gun.
It's kind of a great litmus test, because any teacher wanting to carry a gun at school is absolutely someone you don't want in proximity to children. Unfortunately the law seems confused about this... extremely obvious issue.

Begaria

Oct 27, 2017
So instead of preventing active shooters in schools, the GOP is now actively encouraging active shooters in schools.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Having experienced being in a class when a teacher beat the shit out of my classmate in middle school and have had the pleasure of being taught by some major child-hating people, I do not think we need to be arming teachers.

This country is beyond help.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I've had third graders steal my

• Candy
  • Keys
  • Cell phone
  • Tablet
  • Books
  • Stapler
  • Magnets
  • Markers
  • Crayons
  • Notebooks
  • Computers

Umm...not bringing a gun, thanks.

Dec 30, 2020
As a teacher, I find this incredibly, breathtakingly stupid.

However, I will now be wearing a sword when I teach.

ninnanuam

Nov 24, 2017
Are teachers going to get the same immunity to not act or act incorrectly that cops do when they fuck up?

Teachers are already disrespected by the group making these laws so I assume not. It's just another disturbing responsibility and legal quagmire to throw onto underpaid teachers.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Everything about this is just so mindbendingly stupid. Republicans are the worst.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
The vast, vast, vast majority of teachers do not want to bring guns to school. I'd be surprised to find many who will.

Just from my anecdotal experience teaching, I can't see many teachers wanting to take on the additional responsibility of maintaining a firearm at their side.

But I think people here are missing the real reason for this push: It provides another scapegoat in the event of a school shooting. Let's say this passes in Ohio and there is a mass shooting. The right wing can turn around and say "Why weren't those teachers armed? The problem isn't guns, it's those lazy woke teachers who refuse to arm themselves to protect the children." It's a lot more politically palatable to put the burden and blame on teachers than lax gun laws.

Oct 27, 2017
The only way to ensure everyone is safe it to ensure everyone is armed. Mutually assured destruction and all that

These people are crazy

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
So they load teachers with anti-CRT bullshit to not "corrupt" kids or else face expulsion, and then they expect them to defend their kids with their lives with firearms against mass shooters.

Fuck this country and the idiotic people in it.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Countdown til a child dies at a teachers hands, takes a teachers gun, or an accidental firing of a gun in a classroom.

Robo

Oct 27, 2017
What the fuck man. Republicans are such fucking ghouls. What kind of a sick fuck do you have to be to want to pull a gun on a kid? Disgusting.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
"A kid threw a chair at me and I wish I'd had a gun" would be the most convincing testimony to not arm teachers, whoa wtf

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Teachers don't get paid enough to deal with the shit they already have to deal with.

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
American politicians really want to make teachers want to quit their jobs.
No lie, I'm pretty sure they're trying to deliberately make the American education system look as dysfunctional and backwards as possible in order to make pushes for privatizing education and having right-wing charter schools across the country.

It's like they're deliberately trying to push this country to a breaking point in order to rebuild into something that ultimately services capitalism and white supremacy.

The Namekian

Nov 5, 2017
New York City
I hate this fucking country because this is seen as dealing with the issue and they are trying to rush it through because deep down they know this shit is stupid