• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
honestly people who believe in the supernatural like God and astrology need help

The Ohio House on Wednesday passed the "Student Religious Liberties Act." Under the law, students can't be penalized if their work is scientifically wrong as long as the reasoning is because of their religious beliefs.

Instead, students are graded on substance and relevance.

Every Republican in the House supported the bill. It now moves to the Republican-controlled Senate.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Surely god would just strike them down with lightning if he didn't want them to answer questions scientifically correctly?

CassCade

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
giphy.gif

Boclfon479

Oct 25, 2017
Stuff like this makes my head hurt and makes me genuinely confused that people think this could be the right call...

Riddler

Oct 25, 2017
History has changed again because of Barts answers.
Boogerland
America was found in 1942

Oct 27, 2017
If the student in question is unwilling to accept the scientific consensus, why are they taking the class in the first place?

Seems like a fundamental waste of time and resources that could be better applied to individuals that aren't lost causes.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Goddammit Ohio. Could you at least try to not be embarrassing?

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
The placating to anti-intellectualism and willful stupidity in this country is gross and depressing. This is just what we need- scientists and doctors and voters who base their decisions on spooks and specters and goblins and ghouls. This country is fucked.

Riddler

Oct 25, 2017
The placating to anti-intellectualism and willful stupidity in this country is gross and depressing. This is just what we need- scientists and doctors and voters who base their decisions on spooks and specters and goblins and ghouls. This country is fucked.

Just what people need. Doctors going on their "guts" like a goddamn TV show.

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to start a new religion, the real world is just a simulation and nothing is real, so everything is real.

Join up zoomers, and pass college without trying.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lmao My cousin seriously posted about God having more knowledge than doctors recently. Some dopey med school grad is going to try to invoke this law when they fail the OH licensing exam.

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
I hate this fucking state. Should've just made the whole place a landfill once our rivers caught on fire.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
But like, what exact use case is this solving? I can't imagine this was so genuine an infringement of religious freedom that this law was necessary.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
This is the entirety of the addendum in question, and I'm not really getting this same conclusion:

No school district board of education, governing authority of a community school established under Chapter 3314. of the Revised Code, governing body of a STEM school established under Chapter 3326. of the Revised Code, or board of trustees of a college-preparatory boarding school established under Chapter 3328. of the Revised Code shall prohibit a student from engaging in religious expression in the completion of homework, artwork, or other written or oral assignments. Assignment grades and scores shall be calculated using ordinary academic standards of substance and relevance, including any legitimate pedagogical concerns, and shall not penalize or reward a student based on the religious content of a student's work.

This doesn't sound like "wrong answers are allowed now because religion."
It's like they watched one of those BS ultra-christian movies with an Atheist teacher/professor and thought, "Well, we can't have someone lambasting our savior like that!"
This is more likely to impact an essay than a math problem. Still a pretty legally mushy precedent to try to create and a relatively toothless legislation that's probably just pandering.

Last edited:

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Meanwhile China teaching all sciences to their students.

America is its own demise.

How about this. Allow students to graduate by passing grades with religious answers.

Then make a permanent note that they only graduated under religious exemption.

I'm sure plenty of employers looking for someone to design bridges are interested in people who think a supernatural force is the only thing holding them up.

LastCupOfBullets

Alt account
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Ohio: where it's considered cool to be an opiate addict, speak like a Southerner and shit all over facts and science.

But for real: what is the deal with a cop like every five feet when you drive through that state??

Oct 25, 2017
No school district board of education, governing authority of a community school established under Chapter 3314. of the Revised Code, governing body of a STEM school established under Chapter 3326. of the Revised Code, or board of trustees of a college-preparatory boarding school established under Chapter 3328. of the Revised Code shall prohibit a student from engaging in religious expression in the completion of homework, artwork, or other written or oral assignments. Assignment grades and scores shall be calculated using ordinary academic standards of substance and relevance, including any legitimate pedagogical concerns, and shall not penalize or reward a student based on the religious content of a student's work.

The text in case you wanted to see it.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
How about this. Allow students to graduate by passing grades with religious answers.

Then make a permanent note that they only graduated under religious exemption.

I'm sure plenty of employers looking for someone to design bridges are interested in people who think a supernatural force is the only thing holding them up.
Breh, they ain't gonna stop them from finding a job in Ohio. Probably.

Klotera

Oct 27, 2017
This is the entirety of the addendum in question, and I'm not really getting this same conclusion:

This doesn't sound like "wrong answers are allowed now because religion."
It's like they watched one of those BS ultra-christian movies with an Atheist teacher/professor and thought, "Well, we can't have someone lambasting our savior like that!"
This is more likely to impact an essay than a math problem. Still a pretty legally mushy precedent to try to create.

I've seen some legal experts say the same thing, that this is a bit overblown. You can't literally say 5+5=20 because Jesus. It would maybe have a little more impact on something like an essay, where there is more room for subjectivity. Overall, though, it seems like a show bill with no actual teeth to pander to the religious right.

Certainly, though, someone will try test the limits of this at some point.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This seems subjective as fuck, I can't imagine any self respecting science teacher is going to let a bunch of "BuT gOd CrEaTeD cLiMaTe ChAnGe!" answers slide because they are neither relevant nor of substance. This kind of strikes me as the type of legislation that looks good to conservative voters but doesn't actually move the needle in any actual public school classroom and only exists to make everyone's conservative neighbors think that they stuck it to the libzzzz.