• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So uh, I remember not being into this game at all during a beta period. I guess I didn't understand it, and it kinda felt clunky, I don't know. It's free now on PS+ and I think the developers have patched it a decent amount of times, par for a Ubisoft game. Love this practice. Anyway, I booted it up a couple hours ago and have not been able to put it down. Once you get over the "it's not SSX" part and realize "oh shit this is pretty realistic and this is an entire mountain oh my god wtf" It's actually really really good? And it's free? At the bare minimum give this a shot. Very glad I did.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
I prefer realistic to SSX so I guess I'll download it. Is it like CoolBoarders? That was an awesome series.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Friend and I have been playing a ton and having a blast with it. My favorite features are:
- It's so easy to play. Like, you use the control sticks and a jump button and that's basically it.
- Hold down Triangle to restart your run at any point. Gives the game a Celeste-like platformer feel thanks to this ability. It's fast, seamless, absolutely no problem.
- the gear customization is aight!
- the big open-world mountains thing kinda works and there really seems to be SO much to do.
- Love being rewarded for besting my friends' high scores lol.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I played it when it came out, but deleted it a few months later. As much as I wanted to like it, because I'm really wanting a great snowboarding game, I found it clunky and not as fun as games from the past. It was ambitious and I respect the effort, but it wasn't as user friendly as it could've been, or as fun as some other snowboarding games.

I also like more structured games.

Neilg

Nov 16, 2017
I had been on the fence about it for a long time.

I found the part I enjoyed most to be pretty short however - it didn't take long to hit level 25 and have everything unlocked. Levels 6-16 when I was getting bronze/silvers first try and going back for a couple more goes to squeeze a gold were a lot of fun.
Some events feel more random luck than others (the hard/extreme ones) and everything else is a piece of piss. The story missions are beyond bizzare.
Still, while I'm winding down my time with it already (and am glad I didn't pay $60 for it) it's given me some incredible moments.

Edit: also the Alaska mountain is not fun but I can't put my finger on why. Feels less detailed / crafted.

OP
OP
Dartastic

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holy wow this quest thing is kinda silly I think I've heard the same thing and failed about a billion times over and over lol still having fun tho

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
I watched my buddy play this yesterday over share play. It looks so fun. Great game to start 2019 ps plus.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed it when it first came out and this thread might make me reinstall. It felt the most like real snowboarding out of any game I played, in that I frequently got scared and slowed down because I didn't want to eat shit. I mean that as a compliment, btw, I only snowboarded like a dozen times in my life and maybe felt semi relaxed on like... 3 runs ever

OP
OP
Dartastic

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The menus are really confusing tbh, but the sports feel... really, really good. It's way more fun than I would have thought.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The feeling of rolling down on the snowy slopes is something else, and as per Ubisoft tradition the game got ridiculous support and QoL changes throughout the years. Definitely a game worth checking out, can't beat free*.

*I know PS+ isn't free but if you're already subbed the game will, in fact, not cost you more.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
I just downloaded it to my system and I'm excited to try it out. There's a ton of dlc for it too to give it some extra legs.

Deleted member 5549

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was starting to enjoy it until I got to the weirdo psycho-babble neo-hippie whatthehellisgoingon-race. it really ruined the fun. is that a thing in the winter sports scene?

Jan 11, 2019
Thanks for reminding me! I've busted my hip and can't go snowboarding in the next couple of days, even though it's snowing like crazy here in the Swiss Alps. This'll be a nice distraction... :(

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Been playing it with a friend. The squirrel suit stuff and rocket pack are really fun, but the snowboarding itself feels a bit tight.

Guess i always just prefer games like ssx or skate where its more free flowing

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
I've had this in my basket on sales a few times but always removed it at the last minute. It was perfect to get on ps+ but I have not yet played it but it is installed.. Guess I'll take it for a spin today :)

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I think this game is ALRIGHT. It's sort of confusing to me how you're supposed to progress or what the goal is but I keep going back to it and here's why.

It's fucking relaxing and hitting some of those runs will give you tiny amounts of adrenaline but not enough to cause anxiety which feels amazing. It's essentially a sandbox for me. It reminds me a lot of how the first Mirror's Edge made me feel, just airy, reserved and relaxed (unless I did time trials...). Do I unlock the other four missing items on the item wheel through DLC or progression?

e: o yea and some of the quests i've played are atrocious, they're like the antithesis of what would be fun for a game involving winter sports.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
It is the only game I've ever refunded on Steam.

It simply didn't work with my Xbox controller.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
If you want to do crazy tricks, Steep is not for you. There are some tricks, but not much. If you like freeride, on the other hand, it's amazing.

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I bought it a few months back when it was on sale. It's fun, though it has its shortcomings.

My biggest issue is that every time I "pause" the game, or even look at the map, my position always gets reset to somewhere else. It gets very annoying when i am searching for new landmarks.

All in all I have had plenty of fun with it. With the rocket wing suit, flying around the mountain is pretty dang fun.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
I think it's clunky as hell and the snowboarding is always frustrating instead of fun and intuitive like ssx was.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I didn't like it at all. The UI/mission setup is abysmal, the trick controls are boring and the sense of speed is nonexistent.

KingFrost92

Oct 26, 2017
Oregon
I started it and lost about 2 hours to just doing events. It's pretty fun, but very vanilla as others have said. Even when the game tries to do wild stuff, it still boils down to flying or riding through objective markers.

It's still a really fun checklist game though! I prefer SSX but with PS+ this has been a really good time.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I enjoy it for what it is. It's a nice game to relax to I find.

I bought it the base version when it was on sale plus a few small dlcs; wonder if the expansions are worth it.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
I've "purchased" it through PS+, but have not downloaded (lacking in hard drive space). I really should make the room though, as I did enjoy SSX Tricky enough to beat it, so I do enjoy the genre even though it is not one I usually seek out specifically.