• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
That is why I will never go back to this game again after this recently. Removing content to maintain size and bugs? I don't buy it at all.
Why not segement those parts and allow them to be downloaded separately if someone wants to play them and be lucky enough to find people wanting the same or at worst play them solo? Whatever.

FJimbonda

Oct 29, 2017
Took me a lot of time to figure out how to start the campaign if I remember correctly. I think I had to google how to do it. Played for a bit then decided I'd come back some other time. Ha!
I guess I'm never playing Destiny ever again.

This game is so horribly designed It's baffling. Clutter and obtuseness out the ass.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
I would have loved to be a fly on the wall at Bungie when this decision was made. I think it boils down to their business model. Bungie are past the point of growing their playerbase, and now their focus is on extracting as much value from their existing customers as possible. Active users can tolerate losing old campaigns as long as they have new stuff to play. Onboarding is irrelevant.

Feb 16, 2022
This topic always ends with people on one side of the argument acting like armchair developers and telling Bungie what they should have done, how easy it would be to do it, and calling them bad developers. With a not-so-small subset of "this is why I would never play this game" from the usual suspects, again and again.

Yes, content vaulting sucks. Even those "defend"ing it(lol) would agree to this. Bungie had to make a hard decision, and they made this one. The one that they know will receive constant backlash as proved by this thread, it's not something the general audience will forget. They must have known how bad it would look for them, and decided to do it anyway.

They made the right decision. It's also a necessary sacrifice to be made, for the betterment of the game. The game has inarguably been in the best state it's ever been in the past year, with concurrent player numbers on Steam being around its peak again(give or take a few hundreds players), and the new expansion breaking the franchise's preorder record.

Yes, it still doesn't make vaulting not suck. Yes, you can still complain about it, especially if you've paid money for said content. But to resort to harassing and flaming other users who are simply on the other side of this issue, and have patiently tried to explain and engage with you, to the point of asking them to just stop posting in the thread, is just petulant. It's why people are tired of this thread. Some of you always devolve to bad faith arguments and comparisons.

Fireclad

Oct 27, 2017
The Void
The fact that this is actually the main design philosophy, let alone that there's people defending this methodology, is just absolutely laughable.

As someone who just played through the entirety of FFXIV recently the thought of cutting old content that's already been purchased is just insulting. They absolutely deserve ridicule for this kind of business model.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Sorry, OP. For me it's also the reason why I gave up on the game. I like to experience the stories at my own pace and having missed out on e.g. the Forsaken story (which I paid for!) doesn't entice me to pay for any of the new expansions.

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017
At the time of Shadowkeep there were 17 strikes in total in the game.

Three+ years and three """expansions""" later... There are now 15 strikes in total.
Meanwhile FFXIV has 80 dungeons and growing.
That sucks but you had years to play ?

Destiny is a great game if you're actually going to play. I will say it's likely not for you if you're not going to actually play
Is this a joke? Who are you to say that they weren't going to play? So according to your logic any game in my backlog is not for me.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know... I've heard people complain about Destiny cutting content but I always assumed they meant like... "content". Raids, missions, etc.
Not the entire main story the game launched with, holy shit.

Yeah entire DLC packs worth of content that people paid for you can no longer access. Its absolutely soured any hope I had of returning to the game at any point in the future. So dumb.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Yep I was the same way as you OP a few years ago when I bought the Forsaken + Shadowkeep DLC. Had no idea that you had to talk to an NPC (Amanda Holliday) to start the original Destiny 2 campaign plus the next two DLC campaigns before Forsaken. The actually story campaign missions themselves are not great but that's another topic.

The fact that the game doesn't tell you this at all is baffling and makes the new player experience terrible. I only played through the campaigns so I could at least know that I completed the content I actually paid for (I regret spending any money on it in the first place).

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Sounds like it's not a good time for me to try this game. I'm glad already invested players like it though.

TheMerv

Jan 1, 2022
If only people knew the actual relevant story is in the seasons that get vaulted every year. Oh well!
The real weird bit is that said seasons quickly become repetitive and exhausting if you're not playing them as they come out. A lot of seasonal story is repeating the same two activity types over and over again which is fine with a week seperating the repetition.

It's narrative content built to expire. The real issue is they don't have a great plan to catch people up past the expiration. Like even an edited official Bungie playthrough of the vaulted story content would do wonders.

Instead they expect you to watch a byf video...

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
This topic always ends with people on one side of the argument acting like armchair developers.
I work in software development. You can excuse their actions because it's a game you like. That's fine. But don't pull that card. You don't know peoples jobs.

Yes, content vaulting sucks. Yes, you can still complain about it, especially if you've paid money for said content.
This is all that really needs to be said. Should have just left it at that rather than defending a shitty move by Bungie because the content isn't relevant to you anymore.

Feb 16, 2022
I work in software development. You can excuse their actions because it's a game you like. That's fine. But don't pull that card. You don't know peoples jobs.
That's good for you, and?

Did I specifically call you out? Why are you fixating on what I said, if it doesn't apply to you?

You can condemn their decision all you want, but let's not pretend half the people saying "it's so easy, just make a separate client and let people choose what to install" and "just do it like WoW lol" aren't being silly.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
You've been dismissive and saying stuff like "no one was playing that content anyway" lol like plzzzzz

It's not dismissive if it's true. Pre vaulting, if you played the game and went to any of the areas that were vaulted, it was impossible to get any public events going because literally no one would be playing them. Same with the dungeons that got vaulted. Matchmaking would be impossible. Anyone who plays the game can attest to this. It's funny how a bunch of people who play the game are telling you how it works and you're just refusing to believe them and calling them dismissive.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
It's not dismissive if it's true. Pre vaulting, if you played the game and went to any of the areas that were vaulted, it was impossible to get any public events going because literally no one would be playing them. Same with the dungeons that got vaulted. Matchmaking would be impossible. Anyone who plays the game can attest to this. It's funny how a bunch of people who play the game are telling you how it works and you're just refusing to believe them and calling them dismissive.
What are the public events that you were struggling to complete solo? Even if you're talking about something like Escalation Protocol, it wasn't that hard to find people doing it and removing the event would make more sense than the entire planet. And yeah, matchmaking would be impossible for the dungeons/raids/stuff like Zero Hour...because they never had matchmaking to begin with.

If Bungie has to remove content due to technical reasons for the betterment of the game, it still fucking sucks but it's an understandable compromise (that will hopefully be better addressed at some point). Some of the leaps people make to defend the shit are baffling though.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017

Is that stuff relevant to a player who may just want to play the campaign? Like if I boot up a 5 yr old CoD game, I'm not expecting to find a bunch of multiplayer matches, but I can still play the offline stuff just fine.

TrashyPanda

Oct 28, 2017
Elden Ring is out guys, you can go play that instead of making bad faith threads about games that you don't like.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Seeing as we are just running in circles here getting more and more agitated. I'm locking it. Have a nice day

Status
Not open for further replies.