• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I like the first Mulan fine, of Disney's animated 90s films, it's definitely below Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin and Lion King and maybe Little Mermaid but it's above the rest though. Mulan is a good character and her supporting cast of characters are likeable.

UNTIL THIS MOVIE.

The main plot of Mulan II is that Mushu is trying to break up Mulan and Shang and goes out of his way to make it happen becoming an utterly despicable character in the process. This movie is just.... as bad as Disney's sequels are, this one might be the worst.

Ugh....

@TheFriendlyBro

IGN - Video Producer and Editor
Verified
Aug 1, 2019
Pocahontas is my favourite Disney film and then I watched Pocahontas II as a kid and was forever pissed off. Shite film.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Have any of the made for home video Disney animated movies any good at all? I remember being disappointed even with the Aladdin sequel when I was a little kid.

Blackage

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really liked Aladdin and the King of Thieves.

A lot of people bring up the Return of Jafar, but that was supposed to be a 3-part pilot for the cartoon, not an actual movie heh.

Rest of them though are a hot mess.

I think Cinderella had a 3rd one that was also decent.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
The main plot of Mulan II is that Mushu is trying to break up Mulan and Shang and goes out of his way to make it happen becoming an utterly despicable character in the process. This movie is just.... as bad as Disney's sequels are, this one might be the worst.
The real kicker being the ending when the two feuding spirits are like "What? Fight? Nah, we're totally cool now" making the whole struggle moot without any sort of lesson learned or anything.

Oct 25, 2017
Some are just so awful, they devalue the main film. Like, I remember watching Lion King 1/2 as a kid and it made me never want to watch the Lion King again for a while. It just cheapened the whole thing.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's got 2 good-ish parts though.

giphy.gif

62376283_684797318629685_7488720842954877237_n.jpg

Lee Chaolan

Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 55568

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Pocahontas is my favourite Disney film and then I watched Pocahontas II as a kid and was forever pissed off. Shite film.
That one actually is terrible (the worst of them I've seen by far), but a few of those sequels don't deserve their reputation at all. People are just grumps.

And I watched several of them for the first time in my 30s, so it isn't nostalgia talking.

Both Aladdin sequels are good.

And I'd say Mulan 2 is good as well. That's not to say it's flawless, but the hyperbole around these things is out of control. People find like two things they don't like about them, and that translates to "TOTAL SHIT".

Then again, that's basically the experience of trying to have a discussion about anything with strangers on the internet.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Love the white actor they got to pretend to be Eddie Murphy.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
All the straight-to-video/DisneyToon sequels suck

The Renaissance sequels? Yeah. But, Rescuers Down Under is the shining exception.

Have any of the made for home video Disney animated movies any good at all? I remember being disappointed even with the Aladdin sequel when I was a little kid.
Ha I remember being so thrilled at RoJ. I watched twice in a row the night we got the VHS, but after the third or fourth time watching it I really lost it's luster. I mean, overall, it's an okay pilot movie to the pretty sweet Aladdin TV series, but I think the one thing that stuck out to me was how corny and overdramatic a lot of the line deliveries were.

Anyway good DTV Sequels?

Well again, Rescuers Down Under
Kronk's New Groove was ...okay. It helps that the original was a non-serious comedy in the first place.
King of Thieves, as mentioned above was a real return to form I think.
Edit: probably my own unpopular opinion, I almost forgot, I actually really liked Lion King 1+1/2

That's it, I think. People talk about the third Cinderella movie being some kind of freakish enjoyment, but I've never seen it myself.

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
No lies here. I watched Little Mermaid 2 with my daughter and I would have turned it off within 10 minutes if it wasn't for my daughter wanting to watch it. It was horrid.
Lol I actually like that one when I was a kid. Haven't rewatched it in a long time though so my opinion might change.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Wait... what? How did I never know that there was an animated TV series! I absolutely adored Aladdin as a kid. I can't believe I missed this.
I don't think it's been officially confirmed for Disney+ yet, but the Little Mermaid, Timon+Pumbaa, and Hercules series (I think) were, so hopefully it shows up. I can't see it not showing up, I think it was the most popular/longest running Movie-turned-series. You're in for a real treat.

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it's been officially confirmed for Disney+ yet, but the Little Mermaid, Timon+Pumbaa, and Hercules series (I think) were, so hopefully it shows up. I can't see it not showing up, I think it was the most popular/longest running Movie-turned-series. You're in for a real treat.

Mozenrath is a great villain. A real tragedy his voice actor killed himself.

Blackage

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lion King 2 has a soundtrack that slaps.

Looking up the lyrics to My Lullaby:

The sound of Simba's dying gasp
His daughter squealing in my grasp
His lionesses' mournful cry
That's my lullaby

The melody of angry growls
A counterpoint of painful howls
A symphony of death, oh my
That's my lullaby

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny, because I saw Mulan 2 on that Disney+ movie list and thought to myself, "How do you make a sequel to Mulan?"

And now I know.

Poorly, apparently.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Looking up the lyrics to My Lullaby:

The sound of Simba's dying gasp
His daughter squealing in my grasp
His lionesses' mournful cry
That's my lullaby

The melody of angry growls
A counterpoint of painful howls
A symphony of death, oh my
That's my lullaby
hell yeah dude, that's the chaser to Upendi

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The only good direct-to-video sequels are Aladdin and the King of Thieves and Cinderella III. Everything else can go in a garbage bin haha

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
When I was a child, I asked for the Lion King on VHS, and got the Lion King 2, and you know what? I watched that film a lot.

Never seen The Lion King though.

Coolsambob

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Return Of Jafar is the lone saviour of Disney's straight to video sequels. I'll fight anybody who says otherwise.

Dixie Flatline

alt account
Banned
Sep 4, 2019
New Orleans
They also legit re-use shots from the first movie but only change the character faces and clothes. If you watch them back-to-back, you'll clearly notice it.