• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FunnyJay

Oct 27, 2017
So i managed to remove the capacitor. It doesn't seem like it had leaked on the board.

Everything seems to have worked fine, but I noticed a strange behavior when booting.

As soon as I put in the power cord, the Xbox booted by itself to the dashboard.
When I pressed the power button to power down, it did so, but immediately booted back up.
But if I long-press the power button, the system turns off.
If I after that press the power button to turn back on, nothing happens, however I can boot by pressing the Eject disc button.

Does anyone recognize this behavior? I think I can live with it, but it seems a bit weird...

OP
OP
Windrunner

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
So i managed to remove the capacitor. It doesn't seem like it had leaked on the board.

Everything seems to have worked fine, but I noticed a strange behavior when booting.

As soon as I put in the power cord, the Xbox booted by itself to the dashboard.
When I pressed the power button to power down, it did so, but immediately booted back up.
But if I long-press the power button, the system turns off.
If I after that press the power button to turn back on, nothing happens, however I can boot by pressing the Eject disc button.

Does anyone recognize this behavior? I think I can live with it, but it seems a bit weird...

That's typically a sign of damage to one or more traces on the motherboard.

http://www.ogxbox.com/forums/index.php?/topic/29-how-to-fix-trace-corrosion/
http://gametechwiki.com/w/index.php/Xbox_Power_Trace_Repair

FunnyJay

Oct 27, 2017
Well, that sucks...

You got to wonder why the build quality is so goddamn bad with the original Xbox. There are lots of older consoles still working today without any issues such as these...

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well, that sucks...

You got to wonder why the build quality is so goddamn bad with the original Xbox. There are lots of older consoles still working today without any issues such as these...

I would honestly say the original xbox has great build quality. Minus the clock capacitor, the original xbox didn't have many issues. The laser can become bad at times if you have a shitty drive. But that's for any disc based console and out of the multiple xbox's I own, only one has a bad drive.

Your issue isn't all that common too my knowledge. I've had far more issues with my original 360, ps2, and ps2 slim. Those are consoles that I would I say have bad build quality. Thankfully easy fixes for most issues

HazySaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
West Yorkshire, UK
The Xbox completely passed me by as a kid, but looking back at it now it feels like Microsoft did pretty much everything right. It's a shame it didn't do better honestly.

Looking on eBay for a cheap one that I can try and mod/overhaul. Could be a fun little project, never modded a console before

Custard

Alt Account
Banned
May 10, 2018
I picked one of these up the other day and gave it to my partner, she never knew her two favourite IP's had games on the console (Buffy and The Nightmare Before Christmas).

Hexadron

Oct 25, 2017
What is the best place to purchase the following blank replacement game cases for the consoles below:

Xbox (OG)
Xbox 360

I would like as close to original as possible and I'm only interested in new cases (not old sports games)

Any help would be appreciated!!

HazySaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
West Yorkshire, UK
Found an Xbox on its own in Cash Converters. Gone ahead and modded it.

Clock cap's been removed
Quick clean and dust removal (although honestly it wasn't that bad)
New thermal paste
Softmodded
160gb harddrive
New IDE cable
Enigmah and DVD2Xbox installed

Honestly the hardest part was the IDE cable lol. It was an absolute pain.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
What's the biggest HDD you can put in an OG Xbox? Thinking of loading one up with all my dumps since my disc drive is all but dead.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If I'm not mistaken it's 750GB. I've read about people surpassing that limit before through some other methods using a SATA cable converter but never looked into it.

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm getting to where all of my S controllers' analog stick tops are worn down pretty severely, and it seems like the console is old enough that fresh controllers are getting annoying to acquire. Anyone have favorite solutions/recommendations/whatever?

Deleted member 5582

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm getting to where all of my S controllers' analog stick tops are worn down pretty severely, and it seems like the console is old enough that fresh controllers are getting annoying to acquire. Anyone have favorite solutions/recommendations/whatever?
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/4pcs-Analog...box+sticks&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=m570.l1313

Alternatively if you have a way of getting stuff forwarded from Japan, NIB Xbox controller was a recent get I'm pretty happy with: https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/offer-listing/B00005V8XN/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
I just tried to play Metal Arms Glitch on my Xbox 360 for the first time. Don't have an original Xbox anymore. Was the framerate on the original console also this bad? It drops frequently when many enemies are ln screen. Don't know if this is due to emulation or not.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Whenever this thread gets bumped, it reminds me to pick up an OG Xbox. I still have Burnout 3 and Revenge discs.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just tried to play Metal Arms Glitch on my Xbox 360 for the first time. Don't have an original Xbox anymore. Was the framerate on the original console also this bad? It drops frequently when many enemies are ln screen. Don't know if this is due to emulation or not.
I was just playing the OG Xbox version a month or so ago on the OG Xbox and didnt notice any framerate issues. There is a lot of screen tearing in the Xbox version though.

OP
OP
Windrunner

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Metal Arms should end up BC on XB1 eventually if you don't mind waiting.

That said we're long overdue a new batch of OG Xbox games. :(

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
I was just playing the OG Xbox version a month or so ago on the OG Xbox and didnt notice any framerate issues. There is a lot of screen tearing in the Xbox version though.
I knew about the tearing but it plays really bad on the 360 with a lot of heavy slowdown in firefights. Seems under 30fps at times. I was just surprised because I read it plays fine on the 360. I know better now. Thought something was wrong with my 360 but I cleared the cache and it didn't help. Burnout 3 runs perfect so it must be that game.

Meh. Now I wish I would have bought the GCN version because even if it comes to the X1 - I don't have one and probably never will. Well at least I didn't pay much when I bought it years ago (5€ sealed).

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I knew about the tearing but it plays really bad on the 360 with a lot of heavy slowdown in firefights. Seems under 30fps at times. I was just surprised because I read it plays fine on the 360. I know better now. Thought something was wrong with my 360 but I cleared the cache and it didn't help. Burnout 3 runs perfect so it must be that game.

Meh. Now I wish I would have bought the GCN version because even if it comes to the X1 - I don't have one and probably never will. Well at least I didn't pay much when I bought it years ago (5€ sealed).
Yeah it's probably an emulation issue, or an issue with your particular console. The Xbox version has better lighting/textures than the GCN version, but the Xbox version also has screen tearing not present in the GCN version, so there really isn't a definitive version of the game. I'm assuming you don't have an OG Xbox either.

It's not an expensive game on Gamecube either, though the Gamecube version is the most expensive version ($15-20).

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Yeah it's probably an emulation issue, or an issue with your particular console. The Xbox version has better lighting/textures than the GCN version, but the Xbox version also has screen tearing not present in the GCN version, so there really isn't a definitive version of the game. I'm assuming you don't have an OG Xbox either.

It's not an expensive game on Gamecube either, though the Gamecube version is the most expensive version ($15-20).
I sold my original Xbox a long long time ago. Was a beautiful crystal console. Selling consoles you enjoyed a lot is the worst thing you can do (but I kinda had to to afford newer consoles when I was younger).

Problem with gamecube games is I am in Europe and don't want Pal versions (due to missing 480p or 60hz in many games). Finding a US copy for a reasonable price without importing is not easy. I will put it on the list and see what I will do.

Thanks for your input.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I sold my original Xbox a long long time ago. Was a beautiful crystal console. Selling consoles you enjoyed a lot is the worst thing you can do (but I kinda had to to afford newer consoles when I was younger).

Problem with gamecube games is I am in Europe and don't want Pal versions (due to missing 480p or 60hz in many games). Finding a US copy for a reasonable price without importing is not easy. I will put it on the list and see what I will do.

Thanks for your input.
No problem. I know Gamecube stuff is way more expensive in Europe than it is here, so that may not be viable for you.

Borman

Digital Games Curator at The Strong Museum
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Sadly been focused on other stuff hah

stn

Oct 28, 2017
Part of me wants to open up my console and see if there's a potential time capacitator leak, but I'm afraid of breaking the console.

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Part of me wants to open up my console and see if there's a potential time capacitator leak, but I'm afraid of breaking the console.
It's very easy to open with the right tools; just check a video online. Basically if you can use a screwdriver (torx in this case) you'll be fine.

Last edited:

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
Ordered some new thumbsticks to replace my old worn to hell ones. Probably going to cut down and strip the controller wire at some point too, since the plastic cord is damaged where it connects to the controller (Apparently you're not supposed to wrap the wire around the controller. Oops.)

Really need to get around to picking up a modchip and HDD one of these days.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ordered some new thumbsticks to replace my old worn to hell ones. Probably going to cut down and strip the controller wire at some point too, since the plastic cord is damaged where it connects to the controller (Apparently you're not supposed to wrap the wire around the controller. Oops.)

Really need to get around to picking up a modchip and HDD one of these days.
-Do you have a link handy to where u got them from? I have 2 controllers I want to eventually repair. Let us know how they feel when you get them.

-In terms of the wire, if it's broken at the part where it connects to the controller it's a bit of annoying thing to fix. It's a fairly common problem the Xbox controllers had. I had one Duke like that, which my friend gave to me for free. I ended up stripping that part down and using stripped ethernet cable wires to patch up the connection with some electric tape to seal it. I added a small rod to sort of hold it together against and duct taped it the rod into one of the memory card ports.

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
This is great thanks. At the price and with free shipping I'll jump on this later when I get back home.
The shipping wasn't too quick (but I guess it's free right?) Just fyi in case you were wanting to fix them soon.

Also note the crease on the base from the tooling mold (exists on OEM ones too). I installed them at an angle instead of horizontal. It's purely aesthetic but just a heads up since it mildly irked me, but not enough to open the controller up again lol.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
-Do you have a link handy to where u got them from? I have 2 controllers I want to eventually repair. Let us know how they feel when you get them.

-In terms of the wire, if it's broken at the part where it connects to the controller it's a bit of annoying thing to fix. It's a fairly common problem the Xbox controllers had. I had one Duke like that, which my friend gave to me for free. I ended up stripping that part down and using stripped ethernet cable wires to patch up the connection with some electric tape to seal it. I added a small rod to sort of hold it together against and duct taped it the rod into one of the memory card ports.
I just bought the cheapest 360 sticks I could find off Amazon 😄They're supposed to be compatible with OG Xbox, so we'll see!

Also for some reason they cost half as much on Ebay but eh, I haven't used ebay in years and didn't want to bother making an account.

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I just bought the cheapest 360 sticks I could find off Amazon 😄They're supposed to be compatible with OG Xbox, so we'll see!

Also for some reason they cost half as much on Ebay but eh, I haven't used ebay in years and didn't want to bother making an account.
Interested to know if they work. I didn't feel like I could find a definitive answer last year when I was searching around if 360 sticks worked for OG xbox. So, I ended up buying the ones linked as they were advertised for OG xbox. 360 ones are cheaper and much easier to find in searches.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
Interested to know if they work. I didn't feel like I could find a definitive answer last year when I was searching around if 360 sticks worked for OG xbox. So, I ended up buying the ones linked as they were advertised for OG xbox. 360 ones are cheaper and much easier to find in searches.
worst case scenario, I'm out two bucks.
I'll keep y'all informed.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Hey fellas,

Trying to softmod / upgrade the HDD on one of my Xboxes. I have a chipped box already but it's oooooold and I just want to have a backup / newer unit to replace it.

I softmodded the box with Rocky5's setup, no problems there.

Trying to hotswap / run chimp to get that process started. I run chimp and swap when the prompt says to, but the xbox simply locks up when I press A. Same thing happens when I swap on the dashboard and try to run chimp from there. Could this be a faulty adapter? I bought some two-pack of HDE adapters that was linked on reddit. I just now bought a StarTech one that gets talked about there as well. Strangely, with the other adapter, when I swap, the video goes out (???) so that doesn't help either....

The drive is a 1TB WD Blue. Any suggestions? Only thing I can do is the waiting game for the StarTech at this point.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
Just got it done, and they fit perfectly. The circular part under the stick is smaller and not as deep as the original, but you can't tell when it's actually on there. The slot you push the stick into is almost the same shape, the originals are more rectangular but it fits.

I would recommend you find adequate tools, as I didn't have an appropriate sized screw driver so kinda shredded the screw holes on the controller when unscrewing/rescrewing.
The seventh screw under the sticker can be accessed if you just carefully run a small screwdriver under the sticker, if you don't want to damage it.

It's working fine so far!

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Just got it done, and they fit perfectly. The circular part under the stick is smaller and not as deep as the original, but you can't tell when it's actually on there. The slot you push the stick into is almost the same shape, the originals are more rectangular but it fits.

I would recommend you find adequate tools, as I didn't have an appropriate sized screw driver so kinda shredded the screw holes on the controller when unscrewing/rescrewing.
The seventh screw under the sticker can be accessed if you just carefully run a small screwdriver under the sticker, if you don't want to damage it.

It's working fine so far!
Good to know, glad it worked out thanks!

David Addison

Oct 28, 2017
This is happening in the universe right now:

orangexboxuiktt.jpg

Per Borman (on the old site years ago), this is a one-off engineering sample that shouldn't even be in the wild.

Borman

Digital Games Curator at The Strong Museum
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
There were technically a few made of orange cases, but it was a bit of a surprise that another Halo one made it out.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Hey fellas,

Trying to softmod / upgrade the HDD on one of my Xboxes. I have a chipped box already but it's oooooold and I just want to have a backup / newer unit to replace it.

I softmodded the box with Rocky5's setup, no problems there.

Trying to hotswap / run chimp to get that process started. I run chimp and swap when the prompt says to, but the xbox simply locks up when I press A. Same thing happens when I swap on the dashboard and try to run chimp from there. Could this be a faulty adapter? I bought some two-pack of HDE adapters that was linked on reddit. I just now bought a StarTech one that gets talked about there as well. Strangely, with the other adapter, when I swap, the video goes out (???) so that doesn't help either....

The drive is a 1TB WD Blue. Any suggestions? Only thing I can do is the waiting game for the StarTech at this point.

Update: Turns out I got not one but two bum adapters, and bought a StarTech, worked first try out the gate. Lesson learned.

Anyway, I found a pretty funny bug in The Suffering: Ties That Bind. Turns out if you play this game at 480p, it hard locks your console if you try to view the "Archives" pages. I could not find this info ANYWHERE online, and randomly came across this IGN forum post from 2007 where Midway made a comment about it. Boy the egg on my face when I was worried my disc or console was messed up now.

https://www.ign.com/boards/threads/the-suffering-ties-that-bind-480p-problem-xbox.150632575/