• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alec

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
Oh shit I will absolutely break out my old modded Xbox again if this brings the scene back to life, even if only briefly.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Big oof for MS, but part of me is morbidly curious to know if people will now finally be able to find that one remaining hidden easter egg in the bootup animation that's supposedly evaded everyone for near enough 2 decades.

What does that mean exactly? Any examples of other boot up animations where a dev team put some Easter eggs there?

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
I hope we'll get a "sudden" improvement of the Xbox emulation scene just as we did with the N64 one.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
The emulation scene won't touch this, the second they do the emulator is no longer legal.

If someone else reads all of it, describes how it all works, and then someone comes up and reads the description rather than the actual source, then they skirt by.

If the hang up comes in any emulator dev actually looking at this, then they don't need to look at it. They just have to wait for the information to trickle down through several layers of people uninvolved with emulation or homebrew to take advantage of it.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Like that sucks for MS, but i'm really curious what this will lead to with emulation advancements (Of course that's its own can of worms but that's neither here nor there). Because Xbox preservation is pretty bad considering we're 19 years from the release of the OG Xbox and only recently did things even start to get anywhere there.

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
CXBX Reloaded seems to be the only OG Xbox emulator that can actually run anything (Jet Set Radio Future runs like butter with minimum graphical glitches) but it's clear that it has a long way the go. Las time i heard Gun.Valkyrie could run everything regarding graphics, but still had a problem to render menus and some controller input bugs that made the game still unplayable.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
1. This is awesome.
2. Why would Microsoft give a shit about the source code of the original Xbox getting leaked? I mean other than the typical "this belongs to us". I doubt anything in this source code is still used by anyone at the company. It's a piece of software that was developped twenty years ago at this point.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
2. Why would Microsoft give a shit about the source code of the original Xbox getting leaked? I mean other than the typical "this belongs to us". I doubt anything in this source code is still used by anyone at the company. It's a piece of software that was developped twenty years ago at this point.
Pretty much this. While it does inadvertently reveal trade secrets they may have had, they would be quite old and potentially replaced by now. And even on a security standpoint it'd be a non-issue, Microsoft generally don't use the security-through-obscurity model.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much this. While it does inadvertently reveal trade secrets they may have had, they would be quite old and potentially replaced by now. And even on a security standpoint it'd be a non-issue, Microsoft generally don't use the security-through-obscurity model.
with Microsoft making OG Xbox games available on their new console couldn't this lead to new security holes for their console

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
with Microsoft making OG Xbox games available on their new console couldn't this lead to new security holes for their console
I can't say for certain but I extremely have my doubts. So far their backwards compatibility requires each game to be digitally repackaged, requiring it to be downloaded as it can't be installed off disc with such a requirement, and they would be running that stuff in their hypervisor. Assuming even the Xbox Series X works the same way, that would mean:
A) You have no entrypoint to change the files, as a modified disc would be meaningless (assuming you could even figure out how to resign a disc) and
B) You would only have access to what's inside the hypervisor, breaking out is improbable.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
Is there anything stopping china from using the information to make a clone console? Not that I think it'd be worth their time.
Wouldn't be cost effective considering it'll still be cheaper to buy an official second hand Xbox, and making cheap emulation machines from more available component's would sell more and be cheaper

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If they actually use the code itself, yes. But the value is in poking through it all to learn more about how it works, which has been the biggest roadblock for Xbox emulation. As long as they don't actually use the code, they have deniability.

As someone who is completely ignorant about the emulation scene, is this the equivalent of "copy the homework but change the answers a bit so you don't get caught"?

Borman

Digital Games Curator at The Strong Museum
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, this has been available to smaller groups since the Xbox was still relevant. Not to say there isn't a lot to learn from it with more eyes on it, but not terribly so. Same with the Xbox Live code that is out there too, not as useful as you might think.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
1. This is awesome.
Well for one they actually have a BC strategy for OG XB games so it has a direct impact on those sales if this facilitates emulation. Sony never seems to care but Nintendo certainly does.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Cairo? Isn't that the prototype before xp?

If anything, maybe the devs behind reactOS can learn something from it.

Borman

Digital Games Curator at The Strong Museum
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
can this somehow lead to a homebrew version of OG Xbox Live being put up? like what the Wii community has done with Wiimmfi?

i don't really know how this stuff works so apologies if this is a dumb question

This and other leaked source wont help. But don't worry, alternatives are coming.

The OS source code is the line by line of software code (the "text" that software developers wrote) that tells the hardware to do stuff. Theoretically, this could be an useful tool for modders and emulator developers to learn the quirks of the system.

Modders have had access to this code since 2003 or thereabouts.

Oct 25, 2017
hey, maybe this could finally give enough insight for better emula...

"We understand this kernel and source code has been passed around privately among enthusiasts previously. That means it's unlikely to help further homebrew and emulator efforts for original Xbox games."

...aww.