• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
8lyfjs994cm61.jpg
jg3gagg94cm61.jpg
n8gwt0k94cm61.jpg
n70ak0o94cm61.jpg
aqyrhbr94cm61.jpg
hmq067u94cm61.jpg
d56mm2x94cm61.jpg

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Damn, the quality seems excellent. Seems to be out of stock here in Canada, but I think I'm gonna pick up a pair of these when I can for my PC. The Blutooth on my PC is a little wonky and prone to dropping connection/sync, but it seems these can also pair with an Xbox Wireless Adapter, which I already have for a controller and works flawlessly.

Oct 27, 2017
Some more tidbits after some testing:

- The weight of the headset is 0.310kg (0.68 pounds)
- Usb cable lenght is 0.50cm (0.20 inches)
- Controlling volume (sound/party mixer) rotating the cup is very friendly user
- Mic has good quality

(disclaimer: i mostly play single player games and i do not have much experience regarding multiplayer parties)

- After a friend advice, on the Dolby App on Series X, chosing the settings: cinema/movies + detailed, it gives the most balanced experience (it may be different to your tastes)
- Conecting to my PC, using the BT oficial dongle (same that i use with my xbox controller, when i play on PC) is flawless
- Yestdary my Xbox Series X has received an update (around 600 megabytes) and the system has automatically prompted an updated on the headset. All made wireless

To me and my tastes, this headset is really a keeper. Most pleased with it :-)

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
Damn, the quality seems excellent. Seems to be out of stock here in Canada, but I think I'm gonna pick up a pair of these when I can for my PC. The Blutooth on my PC is a little wonky and prone to dropping connection/sync, but it seems these can also pair with an Xbox Wireless Adapter, which I already have for a controller and works flawlessly.
Its available at Bestbuy.ca if you want to pre order.

Shiftymorgan

Nov 2, 2017
Hmm i don't know what to get,
I currently have a set of turtle beach stealth 700 Gen 1 and I have had them for ages.
Its time to upgrade due to battery and a crack in the sliding headband ( i have had them for a good few years and they are used a lot)

So my choice is stealth 700 gen 2 or the xbox wireless headset.
Can anyone help with the difference between the two?

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm i don't know what to get,
I currently have a set of turtle beach stealth 700 Gen 1 and I have had them for ages.
Its time to upgrade due to battery and a crack in the sliding headband ( i have had them for a good few years and they are used a lot)

So my choice is stealth 700 gen 2 or the xbox wireless headset.
Can anyone help with the difference between the two?
I'd say to wait for reviews and see what sounds better (sorry) to you.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017

- Mic has good quality

(disclaimer: i mostly play single player games and i do not have much experience regarding multiplayer parties)

- After a friend advice, on the Dolby App on Series X, chosing the settings: cinema/movies + detailed, it gives the most balanced experience (it may be different to your tastes)
- Conecting to my PC, using the BT oficial dongle (same that i use with my xbox controller, when i play on PC) is flawless
- Yestdary my Xbox Series X has received an update (around 600 megabytes) and the system has automatically prompted an updated on the headset. All made wireless

Are the leather cups replaceable? Thank you.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Since I use the fantastic LG TV apps for Netflix and Disney Plus, is there any way to get the good audio to this headset? Or will BT the best solution here?

Any reason to use the Dolby Atmos (for headphones) setting over the DTS setting?

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017

- Mic has good quality

Thanks for the impressions, I can't wait to try these out. Ordered a pair for my son, should be here soon.

I have Penrose X myself as ha e been spoiled by higher end audio, but if Xbox ever did a hi res headset I would buy day 1 they do very good hardware.

point decay

Oct 27, 2017
excuse my ignorance here, I have this pre-ordered for Tuesday and read elsewhere that you need to buy the Dolby Atmos app for the headset. Is this something that is required or will improve it somehow?

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
So yeah, been looking around in the UK and they seem to be sold out everywhere which is a shame.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
excuse my ignorance here, I have this pre-ordered for Tuesday and read elsewhere that you need to buy the Dolby Atmos app for the headset. Is this something that is required or will improve it somehow?
I'm 99% sure that the headphones include the licences? On the xbox there is a dolby app, you can download that now so you're ready. When the headset arrives i would assume it will come with one of those 25 charcter codes....put that in and it should redeem the code and give you the licences.

The dolby licence basically is a way of tricking your brain into hearing 3 d sound from stereo headphones. It's doing the same kind of thing as playstations virtual surround sound.

It takes the basic sound (e.g. a gun firing) and modifies it in a very subtle/clever way so that your brain interprets it as a gun firing behind you. They've basically done a bunch of modelling about how the brain uses the shape of the ears, to determine whether a sound is in front or behind a person. They reverse engineer that to create the effect.

point decay

Oct 27, 2017
I'm 99% sure that the headphones include the licences? On the xbox there is a dolby app, you can download that now so you're ready. When the headset arrives i would assume it will come with one of those 25 charcter codes....put that in and it should redeem the code and give you the licences.

The dolby licence basically is a way of tricking your brain into hearing 3 d sound from stereo headphones. It's doing the same kind of thing as playstations virtual surround sound.

It takes the basic sound (e.g. a gun firing) and modifies it in a very subtle/clever way so that your brain interprets it as a gun firing behind you. They've basically done a bunch of modelling about how the brain uses the shape of the ears, to determine whether a sound is in front or behind a person. They reverse engineer that to create the effect.
ah, that makes sense. thank you

Oct 27, 2017

In the box that i have received yesterday, it does not come with any codes (dolby app; gamepass; or anything). Just the headset, a manual (very simple) and the usb cable.

I have already bought previously the dolby app (and also the DTS-X) so i have already tried both.

For now i choose, dolby on the preset (settings choosed on the dolby app) with cinema/movies - sound - "detailed" (a friend as made that suggestion and it really is very balanced, with punch sounds but also melodical and detailed little sounds)

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
You don't need to use Dolby Atmos with the headset but it'll arguably sound better if you do.

Xbox comes with free spatial sound built-in: Windows Sonic. However, it's widely considered to be inferior to both Dolby Atmos and DTS:X, both of which are available as separate purchases. The headset won't come with any licences for these other products.

You'll be able to use the headset with stereo sound and Windows Sonic for free but definitely consider purchasing one of the other options (I went for Dolby Atmos myself since some games natively support it)

Last edited:

m23

Oct 25, 2017
I know this won't work on ps5 wirlessly but any chance it could work wired? I'd rather not have to switch headphones between my ps5 and series x.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
ah, that makes sense. thank you
Sorry - i think i might be wrong. I'm sure i read that licences were included but going back to articles I can't see it now. I remember looking at the time and thinking the prices was really good because it included the license.

The Dolby one is like £15 or something :-(

Sorry - i was sure i was right :-(

point decay

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry - i think i might be wrong. I'm sure i read that licences were included but going back to articles I can't see it now. I remember looking at the time and thinking the prices was really good because it included the license.

no worries, my main concern was that it was a requirement and not something optional

You don't need to use Dolby Atmos with the headset but it'll arguably sound better if you do.

Xbox comes with free spatial sound built-in: Windows Sonic. However, it's widely considered to be inferior to both Dolby Atmos and DTS:X, both of which are available as separate purchases. The headset won't come with any licences for these other products.

You'll be able to use the headset with stereo sound and Windows for free but definitely consider purchasing one of the other options (I went for Dolby Atmos myself since some games natively support it)

Thank you

coughlanio

Oct 28, 2017
London, UK
So yeah, been looking around in the UK and they seem to be sold out everywhere which is a shame.

Amazon UK let me set up an email alert for when it's back in stock, and that helped me secure one. Took a couple of attempts as it was often sold out within minutes of me receiving the email, but I eventually grabbed one after a day or two of it coming in and out of stock every 10-12 hours.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Pre-ordered from the Microsoft store (Canada) within minutes of seeing the announcement and still have an ETA of March 19th : (

BoxScar

Jul 21, 2020

They go on sale sometimes, so you can wait for that. There's also 14 or 7 day free trials when you download the app, or have free weekends every so often.

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
Seeing these impressions are making me super excited. I hesitated initially on the thought of these since I don't do party chat on the Xbox, I do it on Playstation since that's where all of my friends are at (or discord). But the dual connectivity changes things. I can get on the Playstation party chat on my phone and have these connected to my Series X and that's huge for me.

Also, I'm excited to hear how these sound with Tetris Effect. I almost exclusively play that game with my Sony XM3s, but you have to use the wired connection with those and it just gets annoying. Also the idea of true wireless without the need of a dongle like Sony and the platinum headset on PS4 is another huge plus to me.

I saw some comments mention Dolby app on Xbox. What is that and how does that effect gaming/movies on the Series X? I have my TV connected to a sound bar by default but I also have my sound system (nothing major, just bookshelf speakers and a sub) connected as well when I want a bigger sound experience. It is something that I need? What does it do for games and movies? Is it supported see with everything or just certain games/media?

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
I saw some comments mention Dolby app on Xbox. What is that and how does that effect gaming/movies on the Series X? I have my TV connected to a sound bar by default but I also have my sound system (nothing major, just bookshelf speakers and a sub) connected as well when I want a bigger sound experience. It is something that I need? What does it do for games and movies? Is it supported see with everything or just certain games/media?
Dolby Atmos for your sound system is free (wherever the source uses it), it's Dolby Atmos for headphones that requires a purchase.

It's supported on all games as it's integrated into the system. Some games support it natively, others will have their 5.1 mix processed by the Atmos encoder and a spatial stereo mix sent to your headphones.

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. I have conected both Xbox and my phone and i have played some Valhalla listening to some musics on my spotify playlist and YT feed on the smartphone, mixing both at at the same time. All working flawless.
Oh shit, I really like listening to podcasts or music while playing certain games. This could be really cool.

I have almost enough MS rewards points for 50€ credit, so I might pick it up once it's back in stock.

Last edited:

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Can someone clarify if you can turn off the feature that turns on the Xbox when you turn on the headset. It would suck if using them on my laptop meant the Xbox turned on as well.

Oct 27, 2017
Oh shit, I really like listening to podcasts or music while playing certain games. This could be really cool.

Yep. And the sound mix of both is very friendly user. If i want to change volume of the ingame sounds, just do it the ear cup, or the volume up or down of the YT feed, on the smartphone, for example, on the device (phone) itself. Very easy to get a balance that i want for that moment (more ingame music or more external music, for example)

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
Yep. And the sound mix of both is very friendly user. If i want to change volume of the ingame sounds, just do it the ear cup, or the volume up or down of the YT feed, on the smartphone, for example, on the device (phone) itself. Very easy to get a balance that i want for that moment (more ingame music or more external music, for example)
So you can't control the phone volume from it. I think that's still fine. Better than what I do now which is to sometimes wear earbuds and headphones at the same time 😅 (or earbuds + TV which is less painful for sure)

Someone else here asked how does it choose where the microphone input goes to, did you test that out?

Tommyguns

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Liking these impressions so far! My BestBuy store pick up order, I just realized says, "a release date for your pre order has not been announced. We will let you know when it's ready"

Hope my orders not delayed. Anyone else with a store pick up order seeing the same?

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
So this is easy to use with the Dolby Atmos app, right? So far I use the app by connecting my PC headset to the controller, so I'm wondering if this will work even though it's wireless?

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone clarify if you can turn off the feature that turns on the Xbox when you turn on the headset. It would suck if using them on my laptop meant the Xbox turned on as well.

I have just finished to run all options on the Xbox SX general settings (audio settings) and on the Xbox Acessories App on the console (where we can change settings of presets; mic light; etc) and there´s no option whatsoever about some settings that we can turn on/off that option (example: "do not turn xbox when we turn on headset). For now, with the headset paired with xbox, when we click on the green button (turn on headset) it does turn on the console (controller still off, but just click on xbox logo on it and it pairs, also).

I can´t really find nothing more about that situation.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
I have just finished to run all options on the Xbox SX general settings (audio settings) and on the Xbox Acessories App on the console (where we can change settings of presets; mic light; etc) and there´s no option whatover about some settings that we can turn on/off that option (example: "do not turn xbox when we turn on headset). For now, with the headset paired with xbox, when we click on the green button (turn on headset) it does turn on the console (controller still off, but just click on xbox logo on it and it pairs, also).

I can´t really find nothing more about that situation.
This is definitely going to be an issue.