• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sunfyre

Jan 15, 2020
I don't know much about headphones, could somebody tell me how these stack up against my Astro A40TR headset? Having a wireless headset would benefit me greatly in my current setup, but i don't want to downgrade in terms of sound quality and stuff.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Never had a wireless headset, always wired and cheap. Im definitely going to buy this for the headset control options alone. $100 seems like a steal. Hopefully they have better build quality than their elite series controllers

Miles Iz Ded

Oct 28, 2017
Gonna wait on the reviews for this. I returned the official MS wired stereo headset cause it sounded garbage. Hopefully this turns out better with the controller connection out of the equation, but unless it improves on my current setup (Sennheiser 598C with ModMic) I'm not gonna bother.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I credit Microsoft with avoiding the urge to slap some giant green Xs on the ear covers.

Or some light-up green LED garbage. Gamer peripherals love their gaudy lighting.

I might get a pair of these, though I'd honestly just prefer a higher quality wireless chat headset. I prefer to play my game audio through my sound system.

Tommyguns

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I think you could if you have the controller dongle for pc.
I usually connect controllers to my PC just via Bluetooth but if what you say ends up being correct I might spend the 25 bucks and grab one of the dongles.

Does the dongle use a different connection than Bluetooth? Or is it just a simple Bluetooth dongle?

Consequence

Oct 27, 2017
I usually connect controllers to my PC just via Bluetooth but if what you say ends up being correct I might spend the 25 bucks and grab one of the dongles.

Does the dongle use a different connection than Bluetooth? Or is it just a simple Bluetooth dongle?
Yes, the dongle uses a different frequency to connect. Obviously time will tell but if the headset can connect with that standard to the console and then with Bluetooth to a phone I don't see why it couldn't connect to your pc via the dongle frequency and then Bluetooth to your phone.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Would like to get something like this rather than moving my PC headphones back and forth, but I only really have one Xbox friend and nobody talks in games like MCC anymore :(

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know much about headphones, could somebody tell me how these stack up against my Astro A40TR headset? Having a wireless headset would benefit me greatly in my current setup, but i don't want to downgrade in terms of sound quality and stuff.

We won't know until the reviews are out but definitely ask this again later. I'm interested in knowing how all the main gaming headphones stack up.

Feb 27, 2019
Currently using Sennheiser Game Ones coupled with an Astro MixAmp Pro 2015 edition. Seriously thinking about this as an Xbox+PC guy.

If I get this, the Mixamp would no longer be necessary, right?

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017

It is so, so much better! Dramatically lowers input latency, and the standard connection can cause bizarre FPS losses in many games (Destiny 2 in particular) and the wireless adapter completely removes it.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
I don't own the A40's, but there are a number of considerations:
  • Generally speaking, higher-priced headsets have better components than lower-priced headsets. (Favors A40)
  • Generally speaking, if two headsets are similarly priced and one is wired and the other wireless, the wireless ones will have better quality sound because the manufacturer didn't have to allocate any of the BOM to wireless components. (Favors A40)
But . . . there's a saying in TVs that goes something along the lines of "there's no replacement for square inches." (The actual quote is more clever and rhymes, but I can't remember it now.) The point is that unless we're talking about the shit-tier end of the TV spectrum, most people are going to be better off paying for a larger TV than one with marginally better blacks and color accuracy.

And I think there's something similar with headphones and amplified versus unamplified audio. The signal coming out of your controller is relatively weak, and not really powerful enough to give you big sound. So in my experience, simply having a headset that is powered (or in the case of a wired headset, has an amp) is an upgrade in sound "quantity" which has a huge effect on your audio experience.

Feb 27, 2019
The quality of your Senn cans are going to be much better, have the PC37X myself with similar drivers and the mixamp is also pushing more power to your headset. I will assume the virtual surround is relatively equal since I am using the Astro gen 4 DD 5.1 with the PS5 3D surround.

Good to know. Maybe I'll stick with the Senns on my PC and get these ones for my Xbox. (I never move the Mixamp from my PC, I use the Senns plugged directly into the controller.)

XxLeonV

Nov 8, 2017
Preordered but I honestly don't need. I already have Steelseries 1s that I use with the Xbox. Thinking about using these for PC though since my A50s keep dropping out.

If reviews checkout, I'll keep em.

Oct 29, 2017
I've got a preorder in but I've only just got a pair of PC38X's which I can use easily across both Xbox and PS5. It's wired but I don't use headphones enough that wired bothers me too much really.

I guess I'll see what reviews come out like. If it's possible to use it on the PS5 with the wireless headset USB dongle then that could change things I guess.

Oct 27, 2017
In case anyone is looking To preorder still, GameStop has them up, not sure if you can pre order in store or not, I grabbed one online.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
So will the volume feature work on PC? Could I drop Game volume while raising Discord volume, for example?

eek

Oct 26, 2017
Only Bluetooth or also a dongle? Would it work on PS5?
no dongle unless you get the xbox wireless adapter for PC but that certainly won't work for ps5

only way it'd work with ps5 is if the usb-c port supports 3.5mm audio adapters. i doubt it has a DAC built-in but an adapter with a DAC might work. seems like a long shot though

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Eum8m9nXYAIIWMS
Eum8m9oXAAAuBpW

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I preordered this.

I kind of gave up on having 1 headset for everything (PC, PS4/5, Xbox) since nothing I can afford just works seamlessly with everything.

So I'll have my "old" Strix paired with my PC/PS compatible dongle and use this with Xbox.

I'm tired of using a cable with Xbox.

Hulkamania78

Oct 29, 2017
Manchester UK
I've had an old pair of wired Turtle beach across PS4/Xb but went with the Pulse for my PS5 and I think their really good and I was hoping I could use them on XBSX via the cable but everyone in my party gets an echo everytime so I've gone back to my Turtle Beach for Xbox sadly.
These however are exactly what I need and I agree with the above comment it's hard to go across all the systems, at £100 I've dived in on a pre-order. The reveal video and the convenience of the swivel cups adjusting audio is perfect mid game.

Azerare

Oct 25, 2017
They look clean and i game a lot on Xbox. Currently use A40s but looking for a wireless option. How soon till we see reviews?

Sep 18, 2020
Looks really good. Can't understand why Playstation ones use an integrated mic, party members always hear an echo if you have more than like 30% volume.

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
I preordered this.

I kind of gave up on having 1 headset for everything (PC, PS4/5, Xbox) since nothing I can afford just works seamlessly with everything.

So I'll have my "old" Strix paired with my PC/PS compatible dongle and use this with Xbox.

I'm tired of using a cable with Xbox.
I know you just preordered this one -- but I actually bought a SteelSeries Arctis 1X (has to be the X variant) and it has a dongle that you use it wireless across all devices. There is a toggle on the USB Dongle to switch from Xbox -> Everything else. I have tested them on my PS4, PC, Switch and Xbox and it all works great and they sound fantastic with a decent battery life and mic quality. For only $100 it was a great deal.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
Gonna wait on the reviews for this. I returned the official MS wired stereo headset cause it sounded garbage. Hopefully this turns out better with the controller connection out of the equation, but unless it improves on my current setup (Sennheiser 598C with ModMic) I'm not gonna bother.
Spoilers - they won't. They're what, 1/3 the price of the 598s? I'm looking forward to trying them as a wireless set with some flexibility in use, but they're not going to replace my Sennheiser PC 360s...and they're OLD.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
It amazes me how Amazon stock sells so quickly and yet Best Buy has been up for like a week.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Just pre-ordered at Gamestop with the interest free financing thing. It was available from there yesterday too.