• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Croash

Oct 27, 2017
That's a great price to jump into next gen. And small hardware is always nice. I'm still interested in the X but that S reveal is pretty nice.

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
Well my sister just told me she is picking one of these up for my nephews for Christmas. I can imagine it will be very popular.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Nice. To me it looks good.

Did they really announce their console to their biggest market (NA) at 12 am and 3 am respectively? Haha

A. D. Skinner

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
They should make it so two XSS can be connected to be an XSX so you can buy an XSS if and upgrade later, instant LAN party if you split them, two controllers for split screen...

The possibilities are endless

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
this is the current iphone lineup. regular people will be just fine.
iphones20205cjtt.jpg

I'm a regular person who doesn't keep up with the latest iPhone malarkey but if I wanted the best and newest iPhone in its best pocket-fitting size, I'd go with the 11 Pro. Did I do good?

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
If I didn't try to shove a UHD drive in there, I would have been close! I got the power button and usb placements correctly at least.

The speaker vent is a bold move though lol.

mxVMO7S.jpeg

JDHarbs

Oct 28, 2017
What are the odds that they could offer an external disc drive for this via usb?

I have one for my PC and it'd come in super handy for BC with all of my old 360 discs

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Not to detract too much from your point, which I agree with, but it matters more when it's the same architecture, right?

It's a single measurement of one very specific operation. Which, as is demonstrated here, doesn't even translate with different architectures, let alone define console "''"power""'. It's been silly since the beginning. No developers (at least that I've met to date) talk about TF in the industry. There are so many different components that can lead to software running well in certain conditions or not.

Edit: obviously some developers would care about actual TF. I should have said "few" developers.

Sloth

Nov 27, 2017
This is going to be great as a gamepass machine. Great for kids that only play Minecraft and Fortnite on 1080p bedroom TVs as well. My nephews would love it.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
RDNA2 at 4TF wipes the floor with Xbox one x 6TF gpu as many have said there's more to it than the TF number.
Of course there's more than TF. I put the that into account already. Saying that wiping the floor though is hilarious. They could be equal in GPU or XSS barely edged out in raw performance, but not much. RDNA isn't 2X as powerful as 2011 AMD GCN. Closer to 1.5x at best.

SlickShoes

Oct 27, 2017
This is appealing to me as 1080p TV owner, but I keep thinking about what happens when I upgrade that TV? Am I going to have buyers remorse?

Silence_and_I

May 7, 2018
I have to give it to Microsoft for releasing a budget-friendly next-gen console. Not everyone can afford a $500 console, especially in most third-world countries. This with the addition of cheap gamepass is a ray of hope for those people!

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
But the X can run games in 4K now?
I understand the feature difference, but this is poor marketing when your old one is marketed at 4k and your shiny new one is 1080p

It could run games at 4k...if you want them to look pretty much like what games look like on XboneX. realistically, a 2070 super is not a 4k card on PC, unless you want to run everything at 30 fps and cut back on effects such as dynamic shadows. Going forward this system should stick to 1080p mostly, unless the games are undemanding graphically. In that sense, it is a decent jump from the base consoles, particularly in terms of CPU and SSD

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I gotta say it's hilarious that people spent months insisting on peddling this meaningless measurement in TF as some universal indicator of power, and now are trying to tell people it doesn't actually matter when compared to the One X. Good grief. I hope this finally gets people to stop using TF seriously, but you just know it won't haha

Of course TF matter - but as has been pointed out forever, it's not the only thing that matters, and "not all TF are created equal" depending on different efficiencies in the architecture, etc. PS5 and XSX are an apples to apples comparison GPU-wise, whereas the One X/PS4 are GCN-based.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Is Microsoft headquarters now in Asia or what? Crazy time to announce the Xbox Series X. Great price and design, too! :)

Deleted member 70824

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2020
I gotta say it's hilarious that people spent months insisting on peddling this meaningless measurement in TF as some universal indicator of power, and now are trying to tell people it doesn't actually matter when compared to the One X. Good grief. I hope this finally gets people to stop using TF seriously, but you just know it won't haha
Series S is using newer GPU technology. The One X GPU might have more teraflops but the technology is a generation behind the Series S GPU. Not to mention the Series S having the far superior I/O speeds and CPU performance.

Technically speaking, the TF doesn't matter. Series S is next generation, whereas the One X is not.

ShimmyShakes

Nov 1, 2017
So basically the same features as XSX, but no disc drive and targeting 1080p?

Fucken hell, think I'm buying my first XBox.

Titanpaul

Jan 2, 2019
Sucks they werent able to control the narrative, but this is fine. Box looks great and the price is extremely good. Considering it...

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
It's a single measurement of one very specific operation. Which, as is demonstrated here, doesn't even translate with different architectures, let alone define console "''"power""'. It's been silly since the beginning. No developers (at least that I've met to date) talk about TF in the industry. There are so many different components that can lead to software running well in certain conditions or not.
TF has been a very good way to compare different architectures for a while, that was the point - you can't compare clock speeds but TF worked. For 3D graphics, the number of floating point operations that can be done in a certain amount of time is extremely important. It's really only recently that optimizations have made it a less reliable comparison point. You can still use it but you may need to scale the value to have it match between two architectures.