• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
If it wasn't discless I would seriously take it into consideration. I like the design very much and the proportions, too.

But my disc library is too big to switch now. I can't lose access to a hundred of One/360 games.

So why would one get a series X over this? I'm genuinely asking because I haven't been keeping up with next gen specs in the least. Curious why people plan to spend the extra money.
the disc drive.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
so it's smaller than this model of 360?
61-t0bcsbll._ac_sl144qdk3g.jpg
Less height & volume for the Series S for sure.

ClamBuster

Oct 27, 2017
Ipswich, England
this is for anyone from a playstation standpoint reading this thread, who's genuinely thinking of getting a cheap xbox and game pass next gen (to go along side their ps5)

i had a ps4 all gen until this past christmas... i grabbed a cheap xbox one s and signed up for game pass

in the last 8 months i have only spent 80 bucks, and played 109 games

this includes; first party day 1, other publishers aaa, the brand new popular indie, and free to experience gaas

now i'm not a flunky for any brand, trust me... but my word microsoft have changed the dynamic with game pass

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
I wonder if this has a smaller SSD too. If it's simply a case of 1080p vs 4K and no other compromises (except disc drive, but as a GP box that doesn't matter) then this is a far better buy then the Series X. However if there's effects missing/worse textures/ray tracing etc then it's a harder sell.

JDHarbs

Oct 28, 2017
I was completely on the fence about getting an Xbox at all this gen when I've got a PC, but if this can still play XB1/BC titles in 4k and Series X titles in 1080p then I might trade in my XB1X for one.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
So this is more powerfull than the Xbox one S but less powerfull than the Xbox one X?
More powerful than both. To quote me:
If the rumours are correct...
  • CPU: on par with series X, better than PS5. Eats jaguars for breakfast.
  • GPU: Less TF than One X, however stronger results due to more modern and efficient
  • SSD: ~40x more bandwidth than One X.
  • RAM: 10GB RAM in lockhart. Less than Xbox One X. But lockhart has more bandwidth and benefits greatly from the SSD and how next gen consoles can utilize the RAM pool more efficiently.
Basically you are getting a next gen experience with a weaker GPU than PS5 and Series X. Much better console than One X.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
So why would one get a series X over this? I'm genuinely asking because I haven't been keeping up with next gen specs in the least. Curious why people plan to spend the extra money.

why, for just 200 more, you get infinitely more future-proof console, think of a game utilizing all the power xsx has, reconstructed to 4k from 1440p or something,
digital foundary comparison of that would be brutal on this thing.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I've been out of the loop but what would be the difference between the Series X and this?
It's basically the same situation as X1S vs. X1X, except this time the more powerful unit (X) is the target, and the S is scaled down from there. Last gen was the reverse.

So Series S has the same CPU as the SX, with a similar GPU but scaled back significantly to give the same image output at a 1080p target instead of a 4K target. The GPU is actually about 1/3 rather than 1/4, so they gave the S some breathing room to hit that target. So in theory it'll be a little easier for the XSS to hit its target resolution than the XSX, so even if the X doesn't quite hit 4K in certain software, the S could potentially still hit 1080p.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Shame it doesn't have a disc drive, I probably would have bought one if it did.

I guess the price is subsided by the assumption that as a digital only buyer they get more money out of you later.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Good value and great price. The design isn't good but at least the form factor is small which is great. This is obviously a 1080p system, and to get over that there will have to cut back on frames or other elements. This is coming from using a 2070 super, which is essentially a 1440p card on big games, especially if you want to get over 30 fps and keep visuals that are just above the mid gen refreshes.

OldMuffin

Nov 1, 2017
Wait, so this is the same as the series x, just that it has a resolution of 1080p instead of 4K? So this is the easy choice for those that are still stuck with non-4K TVs (myself included).

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
this is for anyone from a playstation standpoint reading this thread, who's genuinely thinking of getting a cheap xbox and game pass next gen (to go along side their ps5)

i had a ps4 all gen until this past christmas... i grabbed a cheap xbox one s and signed up for game pass

in the last 8 months i have only spent 80 bucks, and played 109 games

this includes; first party day 1, other publishers aaa, the brand new popular indie, and free to experience gaas

now i'm not a flunky for any brand, trust me... but my word microsoft have changed the dynamic with game pass
I'd rather keep my games, so Gamepass does nothing for me as a Sony-centric (but multi-platform) owner.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Not sure about the big black cooling vent on the top but at least it's finally official now.

Now Microsoft has made this move, hopefully both Sony and Microsoft will start to giving us more info and stop messing around now.

EekumBokum

Oct 25, 2017
This is how they choose to reveal the Series S? Seriously? What in the hell has happened at the marketing department at MS Xbox division?

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
This could also confirm the leak that the Series X costs 500$. I can live with that even if I will wait at least a year to buy. That´s a 423€ but it will be 500, won´t it? Gaming conversion rates suck.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I gotta say it's hilarious that people spent months insisting on peddling this meaningless measurement in TF as some universal indicator of power, and now are trying to tell people it doesn't actually matter when compared to the One X. Good grief. I hope this finally gets people to stop using TF seriously, but you just know it won't haha

24thFrame

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 16, 2020
This is how they choose to reveal the Series S? Seriously? What in the hell has happened at the marketing department at MS Xbox division?

They didn't choose to have the console leaked; but being flexible and leaning-in when the jig is up is a more sensible strategy than going into a September event and pretending you have a major announcement when you really don't.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Series S looks much more futuristic than PS5. The latter's lavish form factor with these huge superfluous plastic wings is the opposite of futuristic.

Series S is minimalistic, restrained and practical. As it should be for a mature entertainment device.

Oghuz

Oct 27, 2017
This is gonna go nicely with my PS5. I'm buying this when Fable and Avowed drop.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
I'm more excited about the size. Since the launch of Xbox 360 in 2005, home consoles have been really massive, made it really difficult to carry then around. But finally this will change. I'm gonna take this bad boy to work with me!

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I gotta say it's hilarious that people spent months insisting on peddling this meaningless measurement in TF as some universal indicator of power, and now are trying to tell people it doesn't actually matter when compared to the One X. Good grief. I hope this finally gets people to stop using TF seriously, but you just know it won't haha
It's already a talking point meme to repost in twitter replies.

marcbret87

Apr 20, 2018
Tonight's leak apart, this might be the worst kept secret in the whole history of the industry. It's absurd how people knew about Lockhart and Series S since years ago.

Anyways, fantastic price for a next gen console, this will SELL.

I mean, given how they named Xbox One S and Xbox One X, it didn't really take a genius either to think that a series X would have its S equivalent

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
Even though it would be an upgrade (minus the disc drive) and is a tempting price for 'next gen', I'm happy to stick with my Xbox One X until the time Microsoft makes it no longer possible.

Or at least that's the plan until I see the SSD in action in Digital Foundry comparison videos which appears to be the real game changer for all these new consoles.

Kuni

Oct 27, 2017
Ah so there it is at last. Weird it took MS so long to finally announce it.

I'm still not a big fan of this approach though. While it will help with MS's marketing ("Xbox Series starting at $299") if the rumoured specs are to be believed, MS has effectively created a new floor for the next 6 years(?) with a notably weaker console (see Halo Infinite for why this is bad). Games will now all have to support it for that time or, possibly, they'll just start skipping it outright.

Either way it's an intriguing play so it'll be interesting to see how the market reacts but I suspect it may go the way of the 360 Core, used heavily in marketing but sells nothing compared to it's big brother.

Personally though I'd much rather they went for a 2 sku approach with the X at $399 \ $499...

Last edited:

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm more excited about the size. Since the launch of Xbox 360 in 2005, home consoles have been really massive, made it really difficult to carry then around. But finally this will change. I'm gonna take this bad boy to work with me!
Yeah it's very impressive for the spec.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, my word. The MS strategy around this thing has been a disaster. By not talking about it for so long it was always going to leak.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Well it leaked really badly, complete with picture and price. I doubt this was the planned reveal. They really just waited too long to do the official reveal, and got bitten.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Does it now look bad a Series X for £/$200 more? That'll seem really expensive in comparison. I guess it was never meant to go down this way? but it defo makes the next model look expensive announcing a cheaper one first.

Guymelef

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
The hilarious part is that those who used TF argument already known this day had to come.

May 15, 2019
It's a bummer this thing doesn't have a disc drive, I'd be seriously tempted at that price for backwards compatiblity and the rare console exclusive but not having that option sucks.

Dre3001

Oct 28, 2017

The launch date, price, and a video comparison showing the size of the console leaked.

This is just MS saying screw it instead of continuing to pretend the Series S didn't exist.

Shaoran Hyku

Aug 6, 2020
To the confused people:
Series S is the next gen console.
Series X is the Pro version.
But both launches at the same date.