• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I really didn't expect Series S to be so cheap. Cheaper, sure, but not $200 cheaper. The lack of a disc drive stings if you wanted it as a BC machine, and there's the whole physical media argument (although too many of those now only have parts of the game's data, and still need an online install anyway). But if you really like Game Pass, or think Microsoft's digital sales are decent, and you don't need 4K, it seems like a decent compromise.

I'm going to guess if the new Xbox gets a Japan launch, the Series S will be the only version available there, outside of maybe a few limited distribution deals.

AJUK

May 28, 2019
It looks like a good move for Microsoft, feels to me that they have accepted that they cannot compete with Sony on the AAA exclusive games and are going for the accessible angle.

Sales wise it will probably do well, but I'm personally not interested in a console that targets 1080p, especially in 5 years time.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
He's the one that said the CPU was slower
www.theverge.com

Leaked Microsoft document hints at second next-gen Xbox

Microsoft has still not publicly acknowledged its Lockhart plans
Insiders walked this back saying the CPU has the same clock speed.
Punished Dan can you threadmark this one too. Official UK price.

Is this cheaper than a Switch?
Read somewhere in the thread that Series S won't be able to play enhanced BC games as Xbox One X did. Do we know this for sure?
Not confirmed, but XSX has less RAM than XOX, so it'll probably be the XOS versions, but with framerates and dynamic resolutions stabilized.

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017
This seems a great price point but have they even explained what you are losing out on if you don't go for an X? Is it just 4k?

This thing has been leaked so far ahead of time but I have no idea what it even is.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I added more. Youre saying people will consider jumping ship because the cheaper model doesn't have a disc drive instead of just getting the model that fits their need.

Why? They can't play those discs on PlayStation and it would mean leaving your library behind or hoping you rebuy it all on PlayStation. That sounds expensive.

Youre PC though...and that crowd left disc drives behind a long time ago.

People jumped ship to the xbox 360 because it was cheaper and came a year earlier.

Then people jumped ship from 360 to PS4 because it was the cheaper console and had better messaging.

This happens all the time. People absolutely jump ship. 360 was THE console in America, but right now that's the PS4.

And the xbox one did a decent rise in sales when it got really cheap and had good bundles.

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow UK not getting screwed over on price. Let's hope Sony don't go crazy with the dollar to pound conversion, even with vat.

Zonal Hertz

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
Really like the industrial design, concept and price point, but Jesus the branding is a nightmare. Even as an enthusiast, I can hardly keep up with the hardware variations -- I think it's a big ask for casual buyers to know the difference between an Xbox One S, Xbox Series X, Xbox One X and an Xbox Series S. It's like Microsoft has taken five words and shuffled them into as many variations as possible.

There is an X and an S series...I think it makes perfect sense and is kind of in line with phone tech these days so I'm sure people can get their head around that.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
giphy.gif

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
GBP price is never $= £
The numerical value is always £50 less than the $ value, up until it's a large number like $1500, at which point it becomes £100 less.
It's basically the $ price with 20% VAT, and then they round it off, so that's the easiest way to do it.
This might be the case sometimes but it's by no means a hard and fast rule. Plenty of companies do things different, just look at Apple...

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Thought at least £299 for the S would be a lock, this is hungry Microsoft. I love it.

Tempted....

Alefas

Mar 6, 2019
If this is the actual price, I have my doubts as other people have shown with the euro conversion, this will be my first ever Xbox console!

BoxScar

Jul 21, 2020
That thing is tiny. £250 in the UK is crazy. They really need to market this well and I could see it being the more popular Xbox this holiday season.

I think they should remove the Xbone from sale though and really push people to the Series S - as it's the same damn price.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Agreed, there's gonna be some kids getting the wrong console for Christmas lol.

This argument seems so silly to me. There are always outliers of dumb people, but don't pretend this type of mistake is commonplace. Parents aren't buying gifts this expensive on a whim. Particularly this holiday as stock is gobbled by enthusiasts. People have the internet. They google. There are a dozen different iPhones and galaxy's S/Notes/Z's every year. People will figure it out, especially when there is a huge price difference between the consoles, and the entire One line will be almost impossible to buy come October

Deleted member 27551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
My brother cut a hole once in the bottom of his ps4 and added a fan to cool it down, it didnt help. Seems he got his hands on the series S aswell lol. Honestly though I really think this will do well at this price if its advertised right.

Gedi

Oct 29, 2017
That's an insane price. Might be tempted a year or two later but the more immediate plus for me is that the PS5 will likely be £449 or less. 🙂

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
This is cool as fuck from value perspective but god damn do I hate how it looks, lmao.
Might actually pick it up in a year or two.

mtel

Oct 29, 2017
Wow! UK is probably Xbox's best target given their success here in the 360 era and so to see them be so aggressive is welcome. What did the Pro launch for here? Maybe that gives a clue to Sony's post-Brexit pricing strategy.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't planning to get Xbox anytime soon, but that price and if MS drop paid online it is no brainer. Super cheap Game Pass machine with access to every first-party game.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
but the one models are getting discontinued anyway. a new buyer looking to get into xbox will have two options: series s and series x.

Xbox One consoles aren't going even to be a factor on the market this holiday. The X is gone, Series S and X will be the one MS pushes the most.

Sure, the discontinuation especially will be a big help, but I'm not quite sold on people getting that these are the new Xbox systems when they sound so close to the their predecessors, which won't be wiped from folks' memories or anything.

For the love of all that is holy can we please stop with this nonsense. All these 'casual' folks and parents can tell the difference between 6 different iPhones, iPads and Samsung phones every YEAR but they somehow cant figure out 4 different Xbox consoles? Come on now

There is an X and an S series...I think it makes perfect sense and is kind of in line with phone tech these days so I'm sure people can get their head around that.

I know it's tiresome and I'm not the first, but you hear about it because it's an obvious issue. I'm no fan of iPhones, but they have sequentially numbered branding, as do most other major phones series -- knowing that 5 is after 4 is way easier to follow than figuring out what's different about the latest string of five words thrown into a blender to name the whole product line.

Anyway, I know this is an old complaint, I'm just getting Wii U branding vibes. Otherwise, I think the Series S is pretty neat.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't 512GB a bit low for an all digital machine, especially when thinking about possibly next-gen game sizes?