• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
is it confirmed that it has the fancy dancy 1TB fast storage!? that seems crazy cheap for a box, controller, a slab of silicon and a super fast 1TB of storage.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Really like the industrial design, concept and price point, but Jesus the branding is a nightmare. Even as an enthusiast, I can hardly keep up with the hardware variations -- I think it's a big ask for casual buyers to know the difference between an Xbox One S, Xbox Series X, Xbox One X and an Xbox Series S. It's like Microsoft has taken five words and shuffled them into as many variations as possible.

itfiend

Dec 31, 2019
Lets's get these things up for pre-order. Looks like £900 or so for PS5 + XBSX? Works for me.

Deleted member 70824

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2020
The $299 pricing is likely the mic drop moment MS wanted to have by announcing it after Sony priced the PS5.

But looking at how the situation played out, they ended up getting their mic drop moment after all

PsyDec

Jun 3, 2019
Series S is more powerful than all current gen consoles by far.
It's a next gen console that targets 1080p, instead of 4K.

Same Zen 2 CPU as XSX and PS5.
Same RDNA 2 GPU architecture as XSX and PS5.
Same GDDR6 RAM as XSX and PS5.
Same NVMe SSD as XSX.

It's expected to have similar raytracing features, machine learning/AI capabilities as XSX as well.
Wow, that is very appealing.

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
Maybe MS can release a external disc drive that can only read Xbox one games and older for those that have a physical collection and want to buy a Series S.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'd have likely been in for this if it had a disc drive. A 1080p machine for the Xbox exclusives. But digital only is a no-go. And the price of the X will likely make that a no-go for me too.

AJUK

May 28, 2019
Really like the industrial design, concept and price point, but Jesus the branding is a nightmare. Even as an enthusiast, I can hardly keep up with the hardware variations -- I think it's a big ask for casual buyers to know the difference between an Xbox One S, Xbox Series X, Xbox One X and or Xbox Series S. It's like Microsoft has taken five words and shuffled them into as many variations as possible.

Agreed, there's gonna be some kids getting the wrong console for Christmas lol.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Wow at £249.99 in the UK.

Just told my wife, who dislikes gaming and is fed up of my kids gaming, she said "tell me when preorders are up, I'll buy the kids one for Christmas".

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Just noticed that there's no disc drive, obviously laying it out as a GamePass machine. Considering that you can usually find deals on GP you could end up with a new console and a years worth of games for £300, crazy!

Might be a Christmas present for the boy!

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
Really like the industrial design, concept and price point, but Jesus the branding is a nightmare. Even as an enthusiast, I can hardly keep up with the hardware variations -- I think it's a big ask for casual buyers to know the difference between an Xbox One S, Xbox Series X, Xbox One X and or Xbox Series S. It's like Microsoft has taken five words and shuffled them into as many variations as possible.
Xbox One consoles aren't going even to be a factor on the market this holiday. The X is gone, Series S and X will be the one MS pushes the most.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
honestly wish this had a disc drive, would be the ultimate BC machine that isn't a PC. 4K on 360 games would probs be piss easy.

Hoodie Season

Jun 17, 2020
So for someone who isn't super tech savvy...I have been planning on getting a PS5 this whole time, but Series S being only $300 I'll probably get that too.

My question is in regards to a new TV I'm going to buy. If I get a new TV with only one HDMI 2.1 port, and I use that for the PS5, is the Series S fine with just a normal HDMI port since it'll max at 1080p, or will Series S still take advantage of the HDMI 2.1 ports?

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
Even though it's the weaker brother of the Series X, it just seems insane that I can get a next gen Xbox for £250 at launch considering I paid £280 15 years ago for a launch Xbox 360.

PadPoet

Lead Community Manager at Socialpoint
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Barcelona
Read somewhere in the thread that Series S won't be able to play enhanced BC games as Xbox One X did. Do we know this for sure?

MauroNL

What Are Ya' Buying?
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
For the love of all that is holy can we please stop with this nonsense. All these 'casual' folks and parents can tell the difference between 6 different iPhones, iPads and Samsung phones every YEAR but they somehow cant figure out 4 different Xbox consoles? Come on now

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
Oh my bad, I forgot about the ram. If the Xbox Series S really has 10 GB of memory and 2.5 GB of it is reserved then they've reduced the system reserved memory for the Xbox Series machines by about 500 MB.
Perhaps another 1.5 GB could be relieved by compressing the system memory, or by making use of virtual memory and paging to the SSD for background applications.
No. You don't compress the system memory like that and SSD is like 140 times slower than GDDR6 and that's ignoring the latency.

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
No. You don't compress the system memory like that and SSD is like 140 times slower than GDDR6 and that's ignoring the latency.

Windows 10 PCs already do this, and yes using virtual memory is much slower. It would be a compromise.
Perhaps 1.5 GB is a stretch for compression, and chances are they're already doing this as they've been doing it on Windows 10 PCs for years.

6PZh1q6.png

Edit - Corrected typo and made post clearer.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Great price. As a Dad to kids who are likely to be asking for new consoles over the next few years, I genuinely appreciate Microsoft doing this.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
...come on now. That's a really braindead take.

It's going to have different popularity among different demographics and income levels.

I added more. Youre saying people will consider jumping ship because the cheaper model doesn't have a disc drive instead of just getting the model that fits their need.

Why? They can't play those discs on PlayStation and it would mean leaving your library behind or hoping you rebuy it all on PlayStation. That sounds expensive.

Youre PC though...and that crowd left disc drives behind a long time ago.

Phillips455

Oct 31, 2017
Scotland
Welp. I am a Gamepass Ultimate subscriber and i dont have any plans to focus on a 4k machine. This is the perfect price and power for me!

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Trash post. 🗑

The comparisons stem from the fact people think the TFLOPs between the XB1X and Series S are the same -- when it's not. It's GCN vs RDNA2. The TFLOP comparison between the PS5 and Series X remains valid. But as you said, different components (such as the fast SSD in PS5) that have a profound effect on software development.
I know where it stems from. It's a silly measurement that not only doesn't mean much, but is now even actively confusing some people. Even in the perfect scenario of comparison, most people don't actually realize the real world difference of, say, PS5 vs Series X. It's nuanced enough that it would be hard to say exactly what on screen difference they will see. And yet it's thrown around as the monolithic "power" level.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Holy fuck at that price. Considering the specs hardware (edit: yes I realise specs is the wrong word) in it are the EXACT same as the XSX and PS5, MS is doing some magic shit with numbers. That will translate to about $399AUD which is not bad at all.

Last edited:

ClayModel

Oct 29, 2017
Bruh, at that price point, I'll get one no problem. BC and decent price for such a tiny next gen console? Hell yeah I'll get one!

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
GBP price is never $= £
The numerical value is always £50 less than the $ value, up until it's a large number like $1500, at which point it becomes £100 less.
It's basically the $ price with 20% VAT, and then they round it off, so that's the easiest way to do it.
That is not how it works at all. We get shafted constantly.

Mortal Mario

Apr 15, 2019
UK
Amazing price, almost making me second-guess my decision to go for Series X. HotUKDeals are already getting excited.