• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's all being discontinued
nLsnX32.gif

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
To compare each now,​

XBLG,​
Going forward, new pricing will be 1-month for $10.99, 3-months for $29.99, and 6-months for $59.99, or your local market equivalent.​

PSN Plus,​
Effective September 22, 2016, membership prices will increase to $59.99 in the U.S. or $24.99 in the U.S. for three months. The monthly plan price will remain at $9.99 in the U.S.​

Nintendo Online,

1 Month $3.99 USD
3 Month $7.99 USD
12 Month $19.99 USD

Family Plan 12 Months
$34.99 USD

ioriyagami

Oct 28, 2017
So, the "get game pass ultimate cheap by upgrading from Xbox Live Gold" path is pretty much gone, huh? Uhm...something tells me after my current subscription runs out I'll just probably stick to pay single months when I want to play some games in GamePass

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
uh, well this pretty much tells me to might as well just invest on building a PC rather than getting a XSX

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
To compare each now,​

XBLG,​
Going forward, new pricing will be 1-month for $10.99, 3-months for $29.99, and 6-months for $59.99, or your local market equivalent.​

PSN Plus,​
Effective September 22, 2016, membership prices will increase to $59.99 in the U.S. or $69.99 in Canada for 12 months, or $24.99 in the U.S. or $29.99 in Canada for three months. The monthly plan price will remain at $9.99 in the U.S., but increase to $11.99 (Canadian dollars) in Canada.​

Nintendo Online,
1 Month3 Months12 Months
$3.99 USD$7.99 USD$19.99 USD

Family Plan 12 Months
$34.99 USD
So there is a very minor difference month to month, but a greater discount if you buy in bulk with Sony.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
The last price increase on it was what...2010? I guess from that angle it makes sense that it has to go up, but maybe lean into it with a handful of smaller increases over a few years instead of a massive jump?

It's weird how they have Game Pass, which is the best deal in gaming, and now Live - which feels like the worst deal in gaming.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
we were waiting on the other shoe dropping on Game Pass. here it is

instead of raising the price for GP, which they'll do later anyway, they just raised Gold instead.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
also thanks MS for waiting 2 months after launch to announce this, much appreciation

i use gamefly, so i have 0 interest in GP, this just fucking sucks.

Oct 24, 2019
So is this the part where we all finally dispel the myth of "Good Guy Phil / Xbox"?

Will people finally realize that Microsoft is, like any other company, a self-interested entity that will screw its users to get what it wants? Or are we gonna keep pretending like Phil Spencer is the savior of the gaming industry who does everything out of the magnanimity of his heart?

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Imagine increasing the price of a service by 100%, in an attempt to force funnel people toward another, even more expensive service.

Guess I gotta respect the sheer brashness of it.

"You will sub to Gamepass and you will like it", said Microsoft.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
So, the "get game pass ultimate cheap by upgrading from Xbox Live Gold" path is pretty much gone, huh? Uhm...something tells me after my current subscription runs out I'll just probably stick to pay single months when I want to play some games in GamePass

It's still there, it's just twice as expensive. But it's still a discount.

3 years Xbox Live Gold -> Upgrade to Game Pass Ultimate: $10 x 36 + $1 GPU upgrade: $361.

3 Years Game Pass Ultimate: $15 x 36 = $540.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I don't quite understand how we went from strong rumours of Gold going free to a 50% price hike, all whilst the service continues to fade into worthlessness. This isn't the play to make Game Pass more appealing MS.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Bad optics. They are trying to push users to GPU, but there has to be a better way than doing this

How ?
Every online subscription service needs a shitty base package that nudges consumers towards the medium package.

As it stands now, the difference between Gold and GPU is 2.99€ here.
You would have to be a massive moron to go with 9.99€ Gold instead of 12.99€ GPU.

Sadly, that's a sensible move by MS. If the gap between Gold and GPU is lore than 5€, people begin to think a little harder.

Ant Fort

Mar 22, 2018
As a gamer , this sucks . But as a stock holder , my MS stock went up 2.12% So I am not too upset with the news.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
The last price increase on it was what...2010? I guess from that angle it makes sense that it has to go up, but maybe lean into it with a handful of smaller increases over a few years instead of a massive jump?

It's weird how they have Game Pass, which is the best deal in gaming, and now Live - which feels like the worst deal in gaming.
They effectively increased the price this summer by removing the $60 12 month subscription option and leaving only the $40 6 month option

Noble

Oct 27, 2017
jesus christ, they can't get through a gen without getting freaking greedy an fucking it up again.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
twitter going hard after xbox right now.

hope they revert this soon.

also - lol at the people that think this indicates somehow that theyll make multiplayer free. idk what yall are smoking but id like some please.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
A lot of people only have XBL and don't want or care about Game Pass, so this move absolutely sucks for them. Plus, to do this price-hike at the start of a new generation? It's a very bold strategy but it's clear Microsoft wants more people to be strong-armed into Game Pass.

I currently subscribe to Game Pass Ultimate (thank you cheap 2 year XBL code from Costco and $1 GPU) but it runs out this October. I don't plan on resubscribing because I'd rather just play on PC and buy games off Steam.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
Doubling down on an already bad value - Sometimes Xbox/MS just seems to need to shot themselves in the foot in order to learn from the pain.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
How the hell did we go from "Xbox Live might be free!" to "Nah, you're paying double now"? Gotta pay Todd Howard's paycheck now? Like just make Gamepass Ultimate the standard at this point.

Thank god I'm booked with PS+ until 2023 if Sony pulls this shit too.

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
How ?
Every online subscription service needs a shitty base package that nudges consumers towards the medium package.

As it stands now, the difference between Gold and GPU is 2.99€ here.
You would have to be a massive moron to go with 9.99€ Gold instead of 12.99€ GPU.

Sadly, that's a sensible move by MS. If the gap between Gold and GPU is lore than 5€, people begin to think a little harder.

Many people dont need GPU, so why would they wanna pay 2.99€ more? And why are they morons if they just wanna play CoD/Fifa/Fortnite or whatever online?
People thinking everyone needs Gamepass, and that is such a huge value - while true to many - it doesnt apply to everyone, and people shouldnt be ashamed for not needing it...

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Watch the same thing happen to GP next year. Wow, absolutely bonkers decision from MS, especially considering all the rumors from last summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.