• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nofriendo

Jun 4, 2019
Remains to be seen at twice the price. Paying for online access was bad enough but twice the price is absolutely insane. You would be handing Microsoft $600 every 5 years to play online. Yes, please buy GPU instead for all those games but Gold at that price, madness, absolute madness.
You are dead right and having the exact reaction they want you to have. XBLG is the worst deal in gaming right now, but you know what GPU is the best deal so move on over :)

MiDoZ

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You'd be stupid to even enter the Xbox ecosystem if you don't like the idea of Gamepass.
Crazy shortsighted. They will lose millions of customers to the competition.
Game Pass is trebling (if not more) the average user spendings on the platform. They clearly wanna go full steam on this.
Only time will tell if this will work in their favor.
Still this is like the worst way to do it.

gifyku

Aug 17, 2020
The 'grandfathering' here is pretty decent; Netflix for example gives current subscribers a break from price increases for a month or two at max.

This seems to indicate that they really want people to stay subbed rather than dip in and out. I dont think there is enough value in online at this price point but I am a GPU subscriber. I hope they do make f2p free for online play.

It is also my guess that they have an inkling where the industry is moving. COVID has raised the bar on how much people are willing to pay for services like these (see Netflix increase to CAD18.99 at the high end in Canada.) I expect a PSN price increasing coming soon. Time to stock up on the cdkeys deal

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
So wait, what happens if you're on Game Pass Ultimate and let it run out? Do you get your original Gold subscription price or do you get the new one?

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
And to think that a few months ago, many many people were seriously entertaining the notion that Microsoft were dropping the online paywall entirely. Instead, MS went in the other direction.

And the best part is, people still have to pay to play f2p games!

Aerial51

Apr 24, 2020
It's just like the streaming wars for TV and movies. It was cheaper, once, but now that all the conglomerates tasted blood they've pushed prices up and consumer convenience way down. It'll only get worse as more and more publishers get bought out and locked to one subscription service or another.
Capitalism working as intended then

16bitnova

Oct 28, 2017
Be careful. They expire at a certain time. So if you're waiting to do the $1 upgrade to game pass, it may not work if you wait too long
Well as of right now Target still has 12 months for $60 on their app. Would I be able to say purchase 4 of them and enter the codes on my Xbox as soon as I get them? Like would my Xbox just accept the codes and stack the years? Or would it only let me add one?

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
I'm subbed up to Game Pass Ultimate for years, and I am absolutely dissatisfied with the value that Gold brings to that package. Gold (gated multiplayer, Games with Gold, Deals with Gold, Free Weekends) should have been dissolved and Gold's dollar in the Game Pass Ultimate bundle should be shifted to new features (like how the recent GPU Perks and cloud gaming added value).

The price hike is bad, but gated multiplayer (especially for F2P games) ideally shouldn't be a thing on Xbox consoles as the XGS multiplatform approach has been realized, Gold not being a thing on (non-cloud) platforms where you can play XGS titles.

Microsoft could sunset Gold, they could do the work to make new deals with publishers to let customers keep their library of non-360 GwG rentals and shift premium Microsoft Store deals to Game Pass subscribers. Make Free Weekends actually free for people who already own an Xbox.

I don't agree that this price hike is irrelevant to Game Pass Ultimate subscribers - we're still paying for Gold.

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well as of right now Target still has 12 months for $60 on their app. Would I be able to say purchase 4 of them and enter the codes on my Xbox as soon as I get them? Like would my Xbox just accept the codes and stack the years? Or would it only let me add one?
You can only stack a certain amount at once (I think up to 36 months) and if you're currently a GPU subscriber I don't think it won't actually add all 12 months on. The conversion rate isn't 1:1. To get a 1:1 gold to GPU conversion rate you need to be a gold subscriber converting to GPU, not a GPU subscriber adding more gold.

Nov 28, 2017
I can see some news outlets already salivating on their juicy clickbait:

"XBOX consoles now require a minimum of $120/year to play Free-2-Play titles like Warzone and Fortnite!"

lol

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
Gaming is becoming too expensive too fast.

It Is... but game pass has kinda changed that for me lately, ironically considering this thread. Games going up in price has been a real turn off, here in Canada they've broken the $100 barrier after tax which is really hard to justify personally. The game has to be like GOTY quality to get me to pay that.

I am now at the point where the vast majority of my gaming is through game pass, and any other games I only buy on deep discount after they've been out a while. And since I got all my current Ultimate time via cheap conversions I feel like I'm getting away with robbery. I essentially got 3 years for the cost of buying 2 new games. I know the deals will end eventually but I've been supplementing it with MS rewards, and buying actual GPU codes when they are 50% off (usually only once a year). So I am keeping it topped off close to 3 years most of the time.

My Ultimate just expired yesterday. Well that sucks. I'm going off Xbox for the foreseeable future. Was planning on upgrading to the Series X in the spring, but I can't justify the price at the moment.

You're still in a position to get up to 3 years or Ultimate for cheap. 12 months can still be purchased for $60 then converted. This can only be done when you have no ultimate on your account.

Wait so if I buy a 12 year of Xbox live gold for 60 right now, it'll give me GPU for 12 months?

the first month of ultimate you buy will convert all gold time to ultimate.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
And ppl were speculating that MS is going to retire Xbox Live Gold and it's online requirement.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's a bummer for people who play F2P games on Xbox. Hopefully they allow free to play games to literally be free.

Definitely feels like a way to push more people to gamepass, its really not surprisng.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
Watch as Sony follows suit, no way the bean counters are going to overlook MS getting away with this. People actually thought MS would spend that much on Bethesda and not expect a return any time soon.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Watch as Sony follows suit, no way the bean counters are going to overlook MS getting away with this. People actually thought MS would spend that much on Bethesda and not expect a return any time soon.

Still waiting for Sony to follow suit and start charging for F2P...and increase the price for PSNow since it doesnt need Plus. It can happen, but so far the only thing they followed suit with is charging for online MP. And even that has a caveat F2P.

Watch Sony hold the line at $60/year and advertise that they are half the price of Xbox Live. MS is squandering their "pro-consumer" advantage.
And this is one of the advantages of selling more consoles. More consoles sold = dont really have to do moves like this. They can, but they dont have to just follow suit.

.....I wonder do ppl ever really wonder why for PS4, PS5 free 2 play stayed free and Plus isnt needed for PSNow....

I wonder do ppl still think console sales dont matter....

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're still in a position to get up to 3 years or Ultimate for cheap. 12 months can still be purchased for $60 then converted. This can only be done when you have no ultimate on your account.
and then what is this person supposed to do three years from now? Be stranded with a $120/year sub? We don't spend $500 on a new console just go get three years out of it.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You are dead right and having the exact reaction they want you to have. XBLG is the worst deal in gaming right now, but you know what GPU is the best deal so move on over :)

I totally get that but it's gross manipulation and not everyone is going to jump to Gamepass, probably fuck this, attitude.

What they should have done is axed Gold.

Gamepass - 120 bucks
Gamepass Ultimate 'with XCloud, Discounts' - 180 bucks

Multiplayer Free or at the very least F2P free. Should be the former, great PR and offerings.

This is just shit, complete shit.

Halo Infinite multiplayer is F2P for 120 bucks! Get the fuck outta here.

Bxrz

Banned
Dec 18, 2020
And this is one of the advantages of selling more consoles. More consoles sold = dont really have to do moves like this. They can, but they dont have to just follow suit.

.....I wonder do ppl ever really wonder why for PS4, PS5 free 2 play stayed free and Plus isnt needed for PSNow....

I wonder do ppl still think console sales dont matter....
Microsoft did this to push people off Gold and onto Game Pass. Not cause of console sales. You guys have an addiction to console sales lol

Boogolo

Nov 1, 2020
Couple of things there. 1. You cant automatically move people to another service. There are laws against it in some locations and it also people dont like to be forced to do anything ( remember the U2 album backlash on Apple ). 2. Its a more expensive service.
I can't comment on the legal aspects of switching people over but there had to be a better way to do it then raising prices especially as high as they've done? Doubling the yearly gold price is crazy

Drencrom

Oct 25, 2017
SWE
Fuck this, MS are being greedy as hell and arbitrarily trying to force people into GPU...

Sony and Nintendo better not ever follow suit and increase their prices like this.

I can see some news outlets already salivating on their juicy clickbait:

"XBOX consoles now require a minimum of $120/year to play Free-2-Play titles like Warzone and Fortnite!"

lol
It's not clickbait if it's true. If anything, I hope gaming media sites actually go for scathing headlines like that to deter MS and other console manufacturers of increasing their online sub prices like this.

PlayerOne

Apr 16, 2018
Shameful, Plus has been slamming Gold with the quality of free games, and also isnt required for f2p. The fact that you can play same games from MS on pc without paying is just sad for consoles.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
So wait, what happens if you're on Game Pass Ultimate and let it run out? Do you get your original Gold subscription price or do you get the new one?
You're not technically subscribed to Gold when you have Game Pass Ultimate. It converts to the other sub and is considered lapsed at that point. Online play and the other parts of Gold are just a perk of GPU.

16bitnova

Oct 28, 2017
You can only stack a certain amount at once (I think up to 36 months) and if you're currently a GPU subscriber I don't think it won't actually add all 12 months on. The conversion rate isn't 1:1. To get a 1:1 gold to GPU conversion rate you need to be a gold subscriber converting to GPU, not a GPU subscriber adding more gold.
Thank you. 36 months it is. Ugh man. This is becoming too much..

abady-25

Oct 27, 2017
There is also no outrage for paying for cloud saves on PS and Nintendo. At least not a huge outrage you are referring to here.

Point being that each company/product/service has their downsides and usually there is no outrage. It doesn't have anything to do with MS vs Sony or whatever.
i don't think you can compare the cloud save with F2P
people play those games more because its free and very popular and save you have enough storage to save it in the hard drive and it will not take a lot of space and you can use flash to save it
Microsoft make the cloud save free because they have advantage they have server Azure something the Competitors do not have it

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
PS5 with €80 games, Xbox with online paywalls. I'm surprised Nintendo hasn't axed their voucher program in Europe yet. I can get first party Nintendo games for €50 at launch.

Status
Not open for further replies.