• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MiDoZ

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Clearly they want to push people to game pass.
Still a shitty move and will make it more comfortable for Sony and Nintendo to rise their prices :/

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Lol. People thought they were going to get rid of it.

Sony increased it not too long ago, I expect Nintendo to eventually do it.

The worst thing is that you still need it for f2p games (unless I missed it in the OP).

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017
The only way this isn't totally boneheaded from MS is if somehow they were to include access to all first party multiplayer content and service games for free with Live Gold. Not just for all future titles like Infinite, Gears6 etc but ESO, SoT and MCC too.
It would cost them nothing and is the only way I can think they can make playing multiplayer games on an Xbox an enticing prospect, because if this is the future of Gold then, nah!

larryfox

Apr 27, 2020
i have no idea how people talked themselves into the "gold doesn't make sense with their strategy" argument.
they go all in on subscriptions and you thought their best course of action is dropping a subscription that's literally free money and would make your other sub look like way worse value.

stonks.
I actually forgot about EA Access being on there so that probably does help a bit.
You're never getting latest fifa or madden on game odd day 1 though maybe 6 months but usually it's a year, especially for madden and fifa who are very popular

plow

Oct 28, 2017
If they play FIFA the GPU is pretty interesting bc it comes with EA Access built in.
10% discount on the next FIFA and you get to play a week early.

So let's say i only play FIFA. i would have to pay 60€ + 160 € for GPU. Instead of 60+60 on Playstation. How is that pretty interesting? Just for the week earlier or the 10% discount of a game that is 10-20€ off on retail anyways at release?

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's a shocking increase, they obviously don't want to axe Gold and wait to see if people sign up to Gamepass instead at 120 bucks. It's manipulation and daft at that.

Also it's just so stupid, not everyone would guess just buy Gamepass instead so you could have people paying 120 bucks for Gold none the wiser or outright just pissed off at 120 bucks for Gold instead of giving Gamepass a go.

Multiplayer should be free and let Gamepass speak for itself. Idiots.

RdN

Oct 31, 2017
Absolutely ridiculous.

Microsoft has been nailing almost every decision lately, but this is absurd.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
If Ybarra is saying this publicly now it makes it really likely he was saying it privately when he was at MS. Or at least knows that other voices were saying it. Phil Spencer just completely botched this.
Has he? A paywall for MP is generation revenue for Sony and Microsoft beyond believe. From a business perspective removing the paywall and the service (Plus, Gold, Online) would be "botching" it. As much as I hate to pay for online that's the reality of it.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Gold is still cheaper than GPU. GPU is 180$ a year.

I know. But before this change there was a chasm in price between both. Gold was still viable because it was significantly cheaper. It's no longer significantly cheaper. It's a games worth less and doesn't give you access to 100+ games on Xbox and PC. this will push people to gamepass ultimate. That's all I'm saying.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Clearly they want to push people to game pass.
Still a shitty move and will make it more comfortable for Sony and Nintendo to rise their prices :/

For how the current system is for PS+, why would the increase the price? Same with Nintendo? Nintendo better not because their general online experience is still shit in comparison to PS+/Gold.

Dan 101344567

Banned
Sep 21, 2020
Can we all agree any company who say they pro consumer is probably lying out there arse eg ea,ubisoft,cdpr and now xbox

kodax_shc

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
This is about to scare me into buying another year of playstation plus for $30 at cd keys.

Edit: Bought. also getting an extra 3 months added on too. apparently there is a promotion right now on psn. So 15 months for $30.

Last edited:

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
A $10 increase on a $50 per year service

This is a $60 increase on a $60 per year service. I have never seen ANY subscription service double with its next price increase

It's a bold af increase, yeah. But we know it's to push people towards GPU. The "value" of just XBL is horrible.

Loveless

Oct 27, 2017
Lol people keep saying this is a incentive to get more people to buy Game pass. I just see this as them wanting to make up money that they're losing on game pass LMAO. I thought game pass was going to get a price increase pretty soon but I wasn't expecting this. People seem to be forgetting that MS is a business and they weren't going to keep taking a loss on game pass.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
Obviously the value of Gold is trash now but what if MS really doubles down on F2P? Halo mp, Gears mp, Sea of Theives etc. If MS makes their first party multiplayer stuff F2P then 120 a year doesn't look too bad imo.

If it costs $120 a year to play the games then its not really F2P at all. Should be calling it something else.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
I am not trying to rationalize it in a way of saying that its ok for the consumer who wants to stay on gold. From Microsoft perspective it is what needs to happen to get people where they want....on Game Pass paying a monthly sub. People should really not be shocked by it, yes they can think it is wrong but definitely not shocked or surprised at the move.

I would bank on XBLG not existing in a year or so. Get enough people onto GPU and then remove XBLG and make MP free. I think all the rumours of MP going free are real, just not in the timeline or the way that people have been saying it.

MP will never be free. There are too many people who only play annual released games like CoD or NBA2k who need mp but have no interest in Gamepass. MS will not let revenue from those people go away.

EchoChamber

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit, I guess I need to buy 3 years of gold on Amazon before is to late? I was waiting for a discount :c

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Obviously the value of Gold is trash now but what if MS really doubles down on F2P? Halo mp, Gears mp, Sea of Theives etc. If MS makes their first party multiplayer stuff F2P then 120 a year doesn't look too bad imo.
The one way of this making sense is with them removing F2P paywall, lol imagine the marketing:
''GEARS 6 MULTIPLAYER, NOW FREE TO PLAY!*''
*Xbox Live Gold subscription needed for online play, $120 a year.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
I think this hurts MS more in the end. People like my brother who don't think twice about spending the $60 to play a few games online of madden a year and have their kid/s play Minecraft are going to start unsubscribing. There's the game pass argument but my brother doesn't know about game pass, would have no use for game pass, and doesn't want to know about game pass. He has like 3 jobs and kids and hobbies and chores.

KNZFive

Oct 28, 2017
This reads to me as them trying to get people to pivot to GamePass Ultimate, honestly.
It's 100% this. They're making Xbox Live Gold ludicrously expensive so people are more likely to sign up for GamePass Ultimate. They want as many people as possible to pivot to GamePass Ultimate.

I'm already signed up for GPU, so this doesn't affect me (yet). But it's still extremely shitty to jack up the price on Gold for those who only want to play online and don't care about GamePass.

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
This move might alienate casual gamers (who mostly play Fortnite) from Xbox even more.

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
This is an absolute PR gift to Sony.

Sure, they could raise prices down the line after Microsoft absorbs the backlash. Or they could follow their playbook from 2013 and make a big announcement about PS+ prices NOT increasing and that F2P games don't require PS+. It'll just cause more bad PR for Microsoft because people will notice the Gold increase.

Aug 23, 2018
User Banned (1 day): Trolling, platform wars
So the renewal prices for those that already gave gold (and presumably no form of GamePass) does not change.

The price increase really is a way to steer new players toward GamePass it looks like.

[Spiderman, Ratchet Avatars]: OUTRAGED

HarryDemeanor

Oct 25, 2017
The easy fix to all this is staring them right in the face. Ditch Gold and make Game Pass Ultimate your gold standard.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Why did they join the team MP paywall to begin with? Money.

Of course it's going to be money, but the last time they rose prices, it was from 50 to 60 for a year. Do you expect Sony to go from 60 to 120 for a year for the exact same service with no where to upgrade to?

They are gonna backpedal this so hard.

Considering they even went full retail with these new prices and already killed off 12 month subscriptions, I don't think so.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
One of my biggest problems with gaming recently is that playing online is too cheap. Thank you Microsoft for addressing this problem.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
The thing about this move is that if you're a regular person who wants a traditional console experience (i.e. want to buy one or two games a year and don't want Game Pass / PS Now), the PS5 is now the very clear answer.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
User Warned: Concern Trolling
  1. Raise price of gold by 2x (we are here)
  2. Convert people to GPU
  3. Raise price of GPU by 2x
  4. Slowly reduce total content from GPU
  5. Introduce GPU+ which reintroduces removed content
Whew lads.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
This worries me that MS might do the same to GPU. Here in Canada, it's 100 bucks for 6 months, 50 for 3. If the price doubles.... damn.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Ridiculous price for Gold. Can only assume it's so they can go "But look how much better value Game Pass Ultimate is!"

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
This makes the Xbox less attractive as a second console - even when buying a Series S you end up with limited HDD space and have to pay quite a bit for online.

Weird move.
How so? Anybody who is looking at buying the Xbox as a second console is doing it for one of two reasons: Xbox exclusives or access to the Game Pass library. It would be a smarter decision for anyone buying a Series S for exclusives to also grab Game Pass.

nofriendo

Jun 4, 2019
I don't know how you can look at what they did today and ever come to this conclusion. The fact F2P games aren't free on Gold still kind of says it all. I agree they eventually get rid of Live and make you pay $20 a month but it will be $20 a month or get absolutely nothing.

I dont agree, I think they will eventually remove pay barrier for F2P games. The reason why F2P games still aren't free is because of the number of people willing to pay for XBLG. If they just switch it off and allow F2P they are possibly losing all those subs or at least a big chunk of them. Its just simple behavioral psychology, if they switch it off people have to make the decision to signing up again to a service or just play F2P for free. On the other hand if you make it so unattractive for people to continue paying for XBLG that GPU seems an even better deal then they will move.

Once enough have moved you can retire XBLG.

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So if I am reading this correctly, it means that I can convert Gold to Xbox Game Pass Ultimate as many times as I want?

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
I didn't renew my NSO sub because it was useless.
I only have PS+ because I have to.

Paying for these subscriptions remains such a silly farce when PC folks have done just fine for years without it.

Status
Not open for further replies.