• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 57361

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2019
No. companies increase the price, if they think the increased price doesn't hurt the services growths. We could see this with the increased price of next gen games. There was no reason to do that for Sony. Their games were selling incredible well. But the thought they'll will continue selling incredible well with the price increase, too. "So why not make even more money" - literally every company ever
That's simple different. People will always pay for something if they see the value is according to that price. Game price increase is led by increase in development costs and to create less changes for a game to bomb, since day one purchases are paying more and eventually sale money will also be up. You don't increase the price of a 50m sub-service without any reason because that's create a bad PR for your main revenue source.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I feel like this will be a huge negative to those people that are just wanting to play the CoD's and Fifa's of the world that don't care about things like Gamepass. Unless Sony increases PS+ as well which is obviously a possibility.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Sony is probably going to try to recreate their moment from the PS4 generation of not going all online by announcing that their price is staying firm

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
"verified"

lmao, what a joke

the price hike is ridiculous and a really really bad move, but this post topped it, congratulations
A console warz post that maybe a thousand people will read half of before moving on doesn't top a 100% price hike that affects millions of consumers. Get a grip.

Oct 26, 2017
Ouch. I was hoping to jump back in with Series S in a couple of years. Having to now pay $120 a year for Gold is a major blow to my plans. I can't justify that price and can't believe they would double it just a couple of months into a new generation.

I'm curious to see if Sony follows suit.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
i have no idea how people talked themselves into the "gold doesn't make sense with their strategy" argument.
they go all in on subscriptions and you thought their best course of action is dropping a subscription that's literally free money and would make your other sub look like way worse value.

stonks.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
I might just dump PS+ now to save money. I only have the PS5 for Sony games and they're almost all overwhelmingly single player focused, so I could probably go without online gaming access there. GPU would be much harder for me to give up. This sucks. Fire Phil.

Dan 101344567

Banned
Sep 21, 2020
This.

For some reason some people rather be naive about stuff like this instead of questioning how feasible that kind of business is long-term. Once they don't have to pretend no more and start charging what's necessary to actually make some money things gonna be funny.

It's not even a had thing since they have to make some money somewhere and in the end nothing is for free - sooner or later they are gonna have to recoup all these investments.

Yet we have people still getting wet whenever a MS aquisiton related rumor comes up, people want to be locked in and depend on a single Plattform for so much lol.
People on this website can only see up to next week and nothing else in the long run

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
Conspiracy theory:

- Xbox wanted to drop XBLG
- Impact to fiscal reports was deemed too high, given that would likely lead to a big drop in paid subscriptions initially, which would look bad for a service-driven company
- Idea was to artificially make people migrate to GPU via this strategy
- When XBLG is low enough in subscription numbers compared to GP + GPU, they'll drop it entirely
Why would they drop it? I don't think those conversations got far at all. It makes GPU actually less valuable (yes, "artificially") and yes they would be throwing away a ton of money for no reason.

Joffy

Oct 30, 2017
A lot of people I know would dictate their entire next-gen console purchase based on this decision. Bad move all around, particularly without any value add and PC players (of Xbox store games) paying nothing for online.

Oct 27, 2017
Having read a bunch of takes on this price increase, it seems some people are forgetting there is a large audience of Xbox gamers who only play the annual FIFA/CoD/Madden games or Fortnite and nothing else. They have no interest in GamePass, so they are now paying double to play their games online.
Aren't fifa and madden part of game pass now though?

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People need to not be defensive about it, and be loud about this. It's dumb optics at the worst time.

Mona-chan

Oct 31, 2017
Ouch. I was hoping to jump back in with Series S in a couple of years. Having to now pay $120 a year for Gold is a major blow to my plans. I can't justify that price and can't believe they would double it just a couple of months into a new generation.

I'm curious to see if Sony follows suit.
Same, i was looking to get one to play with xbox friends but that isn't close to economical as it is. Will just have to get gamepass pc for exclusives now

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I have to assume this is an attempt to "amplify" the appeal of subscribing to Game Pass Ultimate for users currently happy with just Gold, and it seems like a brain-dead way to do that, guaranteeing well-deserved backlash.

If I were a new user considering an Xbox and looking at this pricing for online play, I wouldn't even seriously consider the platform. The optics of this are moronic.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
So are the people who just want the locked $60 a year auto renewal granfathering screwed if they dont have a GPU ultimate sub expiring within the remaing days Before the price increase?

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
I feel like this will be a huge negative to those people that are just wanting to play the CoD's and Fifa's of the world that don't care about things like Gamepass. Unless Sony increases PS+ as well which is obviously a possibility.

If they play FIFA the GPU is pretty interesting bc it comes with EA Access built in.
10% discount on the next FIFA and you get to play a week early.

Gassy_N0va

Oct 27, 2017
Some of you did remind me that I should just start stacking GPU renewal cards whenever I see a sale and hold onto them. Gotta keep this insane value going

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Why would they drop it? I don't think those conversations got far at all. It makes GPU actually less valuable (yes, "artificially") and yes they would be throwing away a ton of money for no reason.

I just can't imagine they won't see a big drop-off in Gold subscribers. There is no way in hell I'm every paying for Gold again, at least. And Gold just... doesn't fit with the current Game Pass strategy. I just don't get it. They basically just limited the playerbase across all games. I can't imagine doubling the price is a move that will ultimately make them more money on Gold subs in the long run. But I can see it driving GPU.

Edit: Mike Ybarra above worded it better than I could. But yeah, I see this as a move to make people migrate over to GP / GPU, so they can justify to the executive layer the idea of dropping the online paywall. There's no reason to have an online paywall anymore, not in an MTX-driven world where playerbase is more important. Halo MP is F2P now! That tells us everything we need to know about their thinking. But there's a barrier to achieving that goal: removing the paywall will lead to an immediate drop in paid MAU, which is their metric of success. Shareholders won't understand that, so they need to ease the transition some other way. This is a pretty poor result for consumers, who are used as guinea pigs to achieve that, is my bet.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2018
Microsoft should wait until they are in a better position before raising prices. They are the 3rd place console with the worst immediate lineup.

I really hope GPU price doesn't go up.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Sony is probably going to try to recreate their moment from the PS4 generation of not going all online by announcing that their price is staying firm
Honestly it would be weird to brag about this, the best they can do, and IMO it still wouldn't be a ''good guy'' move since they still have online paywall, would brag about F2P games being really free on PS ecosystem

ROMASS

One Winged Slayer
Oct 15, 2018
As long as rewards points price for 3 months stays the same I'm good.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
This is a bit disingenuous. For those that pay for PSPlus it's not free to play. For those that pay for Switch Online it's not free to play. Yes you can cancel those subscriptions if you just want to play those games on those systems and I'm sure there's probably a minority out there that do but most just pay the fee because they have a console and feel like they need to pay to get the most out of it so they get no more benefit from it being f2p than those on the Xbox.

What MS needs to do is just push people to GPU without the price hike by deprecating it. There's those will continue to pay for just Gold though so it's what it is. I'd be more concerned with educating those people about why they need to move to GPU than bitch about basic Gold going up in price but that's just me.
What? That makes no sense. PS Plus and Nintendo Switch Online are completely separate to F2P. That's like saying Oh Last of Us part 2 is actually over $100 dollars, because a second controller costs $50. It's nonsense.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Folks who were already paying for Live and not Gamepass Ultimate probably were doing it for a reason. The most likely reason being they didn't have any interest in games Ultimate were offering because they're only playing the big new games that don't show up on Gamepass to begin with.

You're making the assumption that the price hike means people will just switch to GPU. Maybe they will or maybe these people who are thinking about buying a new console this year just simply switch platforms entirely because they don't feel like paying $10 a month to play Madden and COD online when there are other platforms where you can do it for much cheaper or free

That's a far more drastic measure than opting to pay an increased price for ultimate and gaining a bunch of "free" games in the process. Because at that point, cost aligned, that's exactly what gamepass appears to be...a free extra. But sure, that's an option too for those who want to jump ship entirely.

I think a more likely result of this is that people will accept the price hike like they always do, grumbles and all...only now there's an alternative that gives them even MORE for that cost. And so the gamepass users increase...and then in a year or so...so does it's sub costs for gamepass ultimate.

Oct 19, 2020
Obviously the value of Gold is trash now but what if MS really doubles down on F2P? Halo mp, Gears mp, Sea of Theives etc. If MS makes their first party multiplayer stuff F2P then 120 a year doesn't look too bad imo.

Oct 27, 2017
Well that's not good.

Doesn't affect me right now as I'm all in on Game Pass Ultimate but it doesn't give me a warm fuzzy

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
At first I thought this was a mistake

Microsoft decided this was somehow good for business .......they're not thinking clearly over there

I have GPU for 3 years and I don't want this decision to scare people from moving over to Xbox. This is EXACTLY how you don't do business if you want to be successful.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Obviously the value of Gold is trash now but what if MS really doubles down on F2P? Halo mp, Gears mp, Sea of Theives etc. If MS makes their first party multiplayer stuff F2P then 120 a year doesn't look too bad imo.

I would argue that makes it worse. At that point, why are you paying Microsoft to access other publishers' games online?

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why is Microsoft so desperate to shoot themselves in the foot every generation?

This might be the first generation that I don't get a Sony and Microsoft console.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
True, but let's not pretend a change from $50 to $60 a year (20% increase) is anything close to going from $60 to $120 for 12 months (100% increase). Both are bad, one is much worse.

XBL is definitely worse, but the original post I was quoting made it almost sound like Sony wouldn't do such a thing (or would be laughed at), when they already provided a price hike last gen, and they've already shown they have no problems raising prices on peripherals and other items this gen. They'd be "laughed" at, people would pay to continue to play on the PS platform because of their 1st part titles, and people would move on.

Corporations aren't your friends.

DGS

Nov 2, 2017
Tyrol
I hope there is a huge backlash, otherwise I fear Sony and Nintendo will get the wrong idea.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
That's simple different. People will always pay for something if they see the value is according to that price. Game price increase is led by increase in development costs and to create less changes for a game to bomb, since day one purchases are paying more and eventually sale money will also be up. You don't increase the price of a 50m sub-service without any reason because that's create a bad PR for your main revenue source.
I agree it's a bad PR move.

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
Interestingly Mike Ybarra is (was?) on the ditching Gold train and to stop charging for F2P games.

If Ybarra is saying this publicly now it makes it really likely he was saying it privately when he was at MS. Or at least knows that other voices were saying it. Phil Spencer just completely botched this.

Status
Not open for further replies.