• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Micro

Oct 28, 2017
So you can buy Forza Horizon 4 and play it online for free on PC, or pay $120 a year to play on the same servers but on your Xbox.

Garbage move. Might as well buy CoD on PC/PS5 too since it's cross-play.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
MS is truly the worst ever thing to ever happen to gaming in general. It's because of them that online play is no longer free and that paying for DLC has been normalized. With the Xbox One, they attempted to kill your ability to lend/resell games as you see fit. Thankfully they failed. But they still tried and could have gotten away with it. They tried to remove your ability to play offline. With Game Pass, they're setting a permanent recurrent hook on your wallet. They expect that you will remain subscribed forever, hoping that at some point, your life will get in the way of you being able to play enough games to make it worth the price, yet remain subscribed just because you'll forget or not bother to unsubscribe, turning it into a losing proposition for you, and a winning proposition for them. If Kinect had taken off and became the success they had hoped, you can bet that at some point, they would have tried to justify you paying more for watching movies if more people were detected in the room. They registered patents for it. They have always been evil, and will always be evil. This price increase is yet one more example of this.
Lmfao go take a breather

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I legitimately was expecting them to drop live pricing altogether for online play as a major advantage compared to playstation...this is an insane price hike. Jesus.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, I want to be open minded because Gamepass is great, but wtf. You come into new gen with no games ready, then increase the gold price? I mean damn. Trying real hard to increase those Gamepass subs, eh MS?

Oct 27, 2017
I just don't understand this strategy.
People were buying into their "pro consumer" shtick. This goes all against that.

Did some suit decide to smoke some crack and greenlight this decision? I can't understand this.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
Doubling the yearly price? Is this just a threat for people to join Game Pass Ultimate or pay up for a service that's not adding anything else to make up for this increase?

Oct 25, 2017
That's an insane price hike. I barely play my Series X as is. Now I'll just subscribe to GPU only on the months that games I was planning to buy come out for it.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
I just don't understand this strategy.
People were buying into their "pro consumer" shtick. This goes all against that.

Did some suit decide to smoke some crack and greenlight this decision? I can't understand this.

$10.99 a month for Gold

vs

$14.99 for Xbox Game Pass on Xbox/PC, EA Play, Xbox Gold and xCloud.

It's a shitty move to force people to move to Gamepass.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
With Game Pass, they're setting a permanent recurrent hook on your wallet. They expect that you will remain subscribed forever, hoping that at some point, your life will get in the way of you being able to play enough games to make it worth the price, yet remain subscribed just because you'll forget or not bother to unsubscribe, turning it into a losing proposition for you, and a winning proposition for them.

So essentially this makes Amazon, Netflix, Disney, Microsoft, Sony and everyone with a subscription service 'evil'?

what is this?

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Pay to play online is absolute ass in 2021.
Just offer a subscription service with actual value.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
How many of you guys use only Xbox Live Gold, without Game Pass?
Shitty decision anyway. Thank the people who's willing to pay US$70 (!!) in a fucking game.

Me too.
Thing is once everyone has been relocated to GP - they are gonna start with the price hikes there as well.

Once actual first party games release that people care about like Halo and Starfield they are.gonna feel better about switching up the price.

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
So, I currently have Game pass ultimate that I stacked up years ago, but it ends in 2021. I was planning on reverting back to just gold and not renewing Gamepass. Now I'm wondering if I will be able to be grandfathered in at the old price

You're not currently on a renewal for Gold, so I assume no.

I agree that this decision is absolutely ridiculous, however it isn't impossible to find deals on subscriptions, though I'm curious how that'll change as time goes on (minus the obvious black friday/Christmas deals).

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Well now I have another excuse for why I don't play multiplayer games on consoles. I wouldn't pay more than $30 a year to play online, and even then I don't think I would. So I'm obviously not their target audience.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
The cheapest option to play online on Xbox right now (including F2P) is $120. This's an absolute joke. Online should be free, and Xbox is going the complete opposite way.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Awful decision from Microsoft. Why would they do this? It was already tenuous logic to justify the previous pricing.
way to harm a lot of the goodwill they've built over the past few years.

Sangetsu-II

Oct 26, 2017
This is the price to pay for MS buying 20 studios and giving the games out for free on gamepass. Not to mention their games will still be $60 at retailer. Guess they finally noticed that wasn't profitable

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Is this just for the US?
No:
Periodically, we assess the value and pricing of our services to reflect changes in regional marketplaces and to continue to invest in the Xbox community; we'll be making price adjustments for Xbox Live Gold in select markets. In many markets, the price of Xbox Live Gold has not changed for years and in some markets, it hasn't changed for over 10 years.

What's the pricing like in UK?
Good question lol, I don't know if Brazil's prices are going to change and if is the case what are the new prices.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That price change is insane. What were they thinking with this?
I think the idea is to push people towards subscribing to Games Pass Ultimate. I'm not sure it's going to work, since the bulk of the Xbox subscription revenue remains Gold. I would imagine a lot of people will balk at the notion of paying $120/year for online play, and this absolutely will put off new people buying their consoles. Frankly, I do think this is going to backfire on them, hard.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I'd imagine top executives at all the big publishers are mad as hell as well. This makes it harder for people on Xbox to play their games online and thus might have a negative effect on their post-launch revenue. I'd imagine that especially publishers with a big f2p game are mad as hell.

1upmuffin

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
MS is truly the worst ever thing to ever happen to gaming in general. It's because of them that online play is no longer free and that paying for DLC has been normalized. With the Xbox One, they attempted to kill your ability to lend/resell games as you see fit. Thankfully they failed. But they still tried and could have gotten away with it. They tried to remove your ability to play offline. With Game Pass, they're setting a permanent recurrent hook on your wallet. They expect that you will remain subscribed forever, hoping that at some point, your life will get in the way of you being able to play enough games to make it worth the price, yet remain subscribed just because you'll forget or not bother to unsubscribe, turning it into a losing proposition for you, and a winning proposition for them. If Kinect had taken off and became the success they had hoped, you can bet that at some point, they would have tried to justify you paying more for watching movies if more people were detected in the room. They registered patents for it. They have always been evil, and will always be evil. This price increase is yet one more example of this.

MS forced me to put them in my will so they get all my money when I pass, absolutely despicable company. They also threatened my family and called me names.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
This also goes against their strategy of "player choice" and "ecosystem". It just doesn't make sense. If anything, Gold should have been stripped off those terrible Games with Gold and instead be 25% cheaper or something. I think anything beyond a 25% price increase even with better Games with Gold games is pure madness. We're talking about a 100% price hike here.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Those saying Sony might follow, maybe the trade off is MS games won't be $70.

Sony doesn't follow, but games are $70.

It would make for an interesting situation.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
New gen consoles actually cost nearly $1000 and this is literally how they're going to make people pay for that.

Golding

Oct 25, 2017
😂😂

Chris.

Oct 27, 2017
I think the idea is to push people towards subscribing to Games Pass Ultimate. I'm not sure it's going to work, since the bulk of the Xbox subscription revenue remains Gold. I would imagine a lot of people will balk at the notion of paying $120/year for online play, and this absolutely will put off new people buying their consoles. Frankly, I do think this is going to backfire on them, hard.
The thing is if that's the goal then it's essentially trying to make people go from paying $60 a year to $180. Overnight.

if this is the aim then we should stop saying it's "double" and $120, because in essence they're trying to triple the price to $180.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What losses? MS has had record profits since the start of this pandemic. Covid has been good for their businesses.
We have no idea about the profitability of the division and its branches, just packed revenues.
"Losses" is maybe not accurate, it could be high costs or whatever, so just to avoid or prevent money bleeding somewhere.

Last edited:

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Seems very objective.

MS also brought Broadband Only, Unified ID, Achievements with the OG Xbox.

Blaming MS for Sony and Nintendo charging online is a twist.

The price hike sucks, especially if GamePass is not available.

Gamepass itself is possible the best thing that has happened to console gaming for me and I've owned consoles since before the Atari 2600

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks) - Continued history of platform warring & trolling
At least Xbox fans have that post to latch on to and make fun of. Better than talking about the topic at hand...yikes!

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
This is the price to pay for MS buying 20 studios and giving the games out for free on gamepass. Not to mention their games will still be $60 at retailer. Guess they finally noticed that wasn't profitable
If that's the case, gamepass users need to pay it, not gold users. (I say this as a gamepass subscriber)

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The majority of good Xbox insiders have been completely right with leaks how the hell did we go from Gold is Dead to Gold is Back for Blood

Status
Not open for further replies.