• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I used to pay $7.99 a month for Netflix years later just went up to $18.99

One offers hundreds of tv shows and films (with original content) and the other allows you to play online, where it is cheaper or free elsewhere.

If this was a comparison to gamepass then that's fine, but you can't compare gold to media streaming services because they don't offer the same kind of thing and the competition is much different.

Edit: Also, Netflix is available on every deviceunder the Sun. MS needs people to invest in an Xbox and then subscribe, and if you are weighing up your options then this will be factored in by consumers.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Platform Warring; Previous Similar Infractions and Behavior
MS is truly the worst ever thing to ever happen to gaming in general. It's because of them that online play is no longer free and that paying for DLC has been normalized. With the Xbox One, they attempted to kill your ability to lend/resell games as you see fit. Thankfully they failed. But they still tried and could have gotten away with it. They tried to remove your ability to play offline. With Game Pass, they're setting a permanent recurrent hook on your wallet. They expect that you will remain subscribed forever, hoping that at some point, your life will get in the way of you being able to play enough games to make it worth the price, yet remain subscribed just because you'll forget or not bother to unsubscribe, turning it into a losing proposition for you, and a winning proposition for them. If Kinect had taken off and became the success they had hoped, you can bet that at some point, they would have tried to justify you paying more for watching movies if more people were detected in the room. They registered patents for it. They have always been evil, and will always be evil. This price increase is yet one more example of this.

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
£70 games, £60 controllers (£70 for joy cons...), £450 consoles, service price hikes, day-one DLC and expensive season passes...

My view that the PS1 and PS2 generations were the golden era of gaming remains firmly intact.

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
The main goal with the Xbox division is to make money. They came to the conclusion that not only does charging folks for online make money versus not charging them, they could straight up double the price of a product that was already pretty sketchy.

As someone who has owned an Xbox One X for the last 3 years and has 0 physical games because of Gamepass, and a Gamepass sub that expires in a few months I've got almost no attachment to the ecosystem and would definitely dip out once the Gamepass prices go up.

Gonna be interesting how that goes when gamepass prices go up. I have been paying for Xbox Live Gold or .. Gamepass Ultimate since I was 22 years old... I am 43 now. So it is so baked into my mindshare as well as have all my kids into it and family it is hard to imagine not paying for it. BUT raising things 100% out of the blue is one way to make me say "I am out"

prodyg

Oct 28, 2017
Well so do people's expectations.

People give Nintendo's abysmal online a pass because it is so cheap, and unlike other streaming services, MS are in no position to hike prices this much when Sony is cheaper and PC is free.
although I agree with most of what you said the presence of GPU changes this argument. I dont know anybody who has an Xbox and doesnt sub to GPU and thats a better value. If anything this will just drive ppl to that.

AndyMc1888

Jul 16, 2019
This seems dumb without being able to announce free to play games like halo don't require it as a counter

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
That's an insane price increase. I am happy I build a new pc and can play online for free, because I wouldn't pay this much for online.

I guess this is just the costs hidden behind the low hardware price. You can't build an equivalent pc for the same price, but whatever you build, you don't have to pay up to $120 per year for online.

Dultimate

Oct 27, 2017
I see they're taking the iPhone model approach back when phones went over a thousand dollars. Hike the price up drastically for essentially the same thing as you were getting before. Sure there will be less people that subscribe but they will make more money per person that does subscribe.

That and this then increases the value of GPU. Win, win for MS. Lose, win for subscribers.

1upmuffin

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Just another reason I won't be investing in the Xbox platform in the future. Fuck mandatory subscription models. PS Plus sucks too, and if they raise the price on that garbage it will be laughable.

This generation is already turning out to be such shit and we can't do anything about it.

So I'm guessing you play on PC only? That's the only plat you don't have to pay for online.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit are you kidding me? Wtf MS? This is outrageous. I guess my series x will collect dust once my sub ends.

What a horrible decision.

Time to cause a huge stink about this and get them to reverse it.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Phasing out XBL Gold by making it too expensive to justify. I guess that's one way to do it.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, well.

For us that bought a Series X and don't want to keep the expensive Gamepass Ultimate running constantly, it feels like a bait and switch.

pay up *double*, or keep GPU going. Absolutely ridiculous.

They shouldn't double down on game pass with the stick, they should double down with the carrot. Again, ridiculous.
You're not really responding to my post...I never said this wasn't scummy.

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
I am invested in Xbox and fuck Microsoft to do this. Fuck these corpo assholes.

There is no reason to do this. It's the opposite of what they should be doing if they want to complete.

M4xim1l1ano

Oct 29, 2017
Santiago, Stockholm, Vienna
MS is truly the worst ever thing to ever happen to gaming in general. It's because of them that online play is no longer free and that paying for DLC has been normalized. With the Xbox One, they attempted to kill your ability to lend/resell games as you see fit. Thankfully they failed. But they still tried and could have gotten away with it. They tried to remove your ability to play offline. With Game Pass, they're setting a permanent recurrent hook on your wallet. They expect that you will remain subscribed forever, hoping that at some point, your life will get in the way of you being able to play enough games to make it worth the price, yet remain subscribed just because you'll forget or not bother to unsubscribe, turning it into a losing proposition for you, and a winning proposition for them. If Kinect had taken off and became the success they had hoped, you can bet that at some point, they would have tried to justify you paying more for watching movies if more people were detected in the room. They registered patents for it. They have always been evil, and will always be evil. This price increase is yet one more example of this.

Wow..

EDIT:
I think you might have issues with Capitalism in general if stuff like this bothers you.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
What if, like most people, you don't give a shit about Game Pass and just want to play your multiplayer games with friends?

What a dog shite deal.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Can't believe 60 for 6 months is real, an actual joke. If Game Pass is the best deal in gaming (hard to argue against), Gold is by far the worst.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
I guess this is just the costs hidden behind the low hardware price. You can't build an equivalent pc for the same price, but whatever you build, you don't have to pay up to $120 per year for online.

And not only that, you can generally get much cheaper prices overall for the games you do want to play with PC.

meenseen84

Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis
So you can still buy a year at $60 on Amazon, but not through MS. I don't get the strategy here. I don't see the point of increasing the cost for online barrier. If anything, Gold should disappear or become something else, like access to streaming.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Microsoft and Xbox have been killing it with good will towards gamers except for gold being complete trash and just a bad deal all around. The only way this makes sense is this is their secret way of getting gold members to convert to UGP since that makes more sense than to pay this. Not saying that's a great plan but that's the only thing that would make sense to me

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
The more I look at this, the more ridiculous it gets. Gold was shit value already prior to this, now a basic monthly sub is more than standard GP?

I hope they get absolutely huge blowback from this because I really can't understand it.

They absolutely deserve huge blowback for this.

Unless they want to go for consistency and bring Xbox Live Gold to PC/mobile and think they can get away with this (they'd fail horribly), they should realize that it's pretty clear Gold is an unneeded tax on just Xbox players. Increasing it is just salt in the wound.

I hope they see a 2013 Xbox One blowback for this.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
Truly Evil

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Agree with those saying F2P needs to now be free on Xbox.

Now.....I am tempted like hell to get All Access. All part of the plan?

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020
How are they so tone deaf to their audience? How in the right mind though this was a good idea?

Raigor

May 14, 2020
This is dumb, if anything raising the price of Game Pass is at least understandable but Gold?

This is pathetic, never had an Xbox or subscribed to Gold but still, it's a shitty move for Xbox owners.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Is this a copypasta?

Sangetsu-II

Oct 26, 2017
So they're doing this to move people over to the combined GamePass + Gold sub? Ugh.

What's to stop them from upping that price when the majority switches to that?

GPU is $15 a month so it really is pay the price hike or pay what you normally pay for both services but without the lower prices on code websites.

BoxScar

Jul 21, 2020
Big fucking OOF.

Pretty clear they want people to move to GPU, which is more expensive, but offers "more" value. I feel bad for the casual players who only want to play things like Warzone or Fortnite but are forced to pay quite a lot of money to play online.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Ouch. Not even a mild increase. They just outright DOUBLED the price.

And I'm laughing sadly at those rumors a few months back that Xbox might be DROPPING their online paywall restrictions. Literally went the opposite direction, full speed.

What else is there to say? It sucks for customers and gamers and nobody should be happy about it.

Oct 30, 2017
To those that largely just like to play COD, COD Warzone, Fortnite, Apex, Or Sports games, the system just got more expensive.

There are still a lot of people who won't subscribe to gamepass as that does not suit their play habits.

This bolsters my decision to invest in a PC soon.

Otheradam

Nov 1, 2017
This is a shitty move on top of games going to $70 this gen. These companies don't care about what is happening in the world.

YozoraXV

Oct 30, 2017
I'm glad I got GPU for 3 years.

Sony will likely increase the price too, since they know people won't have much choice in having to pay it.

Bobbyleejones

Banned
Aug 25, 2019
Yes, unfortunately people are great at voting with their wallets against their own interests.

That's how DLC and MTX became the norm.
🤷‍♂️ That's how the world works. Doesn't matter what the product is. 500 dollar AirPod pros sold out even though many people were up in arms.

Also I don't if it is me, but free to play has to drop soon for them with this price increase. You don't want to lose your cut on mtx from Warzone and fortnite.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
I have loved almost everything that Microsoft has been doing these past couple of years. However, this? Yikes. Terrible decision. 25% increase? Okay, maaaaaybe. But a 100% increase is outrageous. They are still winning over the hearts and minds of the gaming community, but this will not help. I'm a GPU member anyway so it doesn't really bother me much, but still.

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely insane decision. The gold service has lost value over the last decade with free services like Steam and Discord offering much better features, GwG being atrocious and Game Pass offering such great value.

It's basically a big fuck you to any Xbox owner who doesn't subscribe to Game Pass

Status
Not open for further replies.