• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jun 20, 2018
I don't buy games in the first year other than maybe the odd game every few years (Red Dead 2 the last one), but why is the Euro price hike so high? That's $95 converted.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Straight from the press release (UK pricing)

PlayStation 5 Launch Day Games from SIE Worldwide Studios

• Astro's Playroom (Japan Studio) – pre-installed on PS5
  • Demon's Souls (Bluepoint Games / Japan Studio) – £69.99 (RRP)
  • Destruction AllStars (Lucid Games / XDEV) – £69.99 (RRP)
  • Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales (Insomniac Games) – £51.99 (RRP)
  • Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales Ultimate Edition (Insomniac Games) – £69.99 (RRP)
  • Sackboy A Big Adventure (Sumo Digital / XDEV) – £59.99 (RRP)

Lyre

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2020
London
This is an absolute DISASTER for Sony, if Micropom are clever they'll take full advantage of this.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
€80 euro per game is seriously too much for most people. I mean it in affording it way.

Ryu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why the fuck would you price it 79€. I can't believe it. There's literally no reason to price it more expensive than the $.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
$10 increase was expected by me, in all honesty, and I'm glad to see $50/$60/$70 games day-one.

People are willing to pay $60 for 3 roms, after all (=

It's making the $399/$499 decision tough, though.

blaze

Oct 25, 2017
UK
This is exactly why I wouldn't go anywhere near a digital only console, there's absolutely no way I'd trust Sony not to continually increase prices once they have full market control (that also applies to other closed marketplaces). Got to enjoy the physical retail market while it lasts, at least I know they'll offer cheaper prices and almost certainly drop prices quickly, no way the £70 price range is holding sales for long.

Alent

Oct 28, 2017
Hahahaha, sales or second hand for this gen i guess! Gonna do less gaming at that price.

Oct 28, 2017
what? there are digital sales all the time. Even for first party games.
Right now there is because gamers have a choice between digital or physical. If half the user base is locked into digital only, they're going to be less likely to drop prices quickly. Sales will happen, but I expect the price drops will be less and later.

Oct 28, 2017
£70 for cross-gen titles. Dreams have been shattered.

Honestly I don't see how £70 games are even going to sell here. That's nuts.

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
Ugh, there had to be one way to deflate hype today I guess. Not looking forward to this, but I guess it's a good thing I skipped PS4 if I want something cheap to play.

Also that $50 price pretty much guarantees that Miles Morales is going to be the top selling PS5 game this year (if it being a game about Spider-Man didn't already).

ace3skoot

Dec 3, 2018
Yeah I'm out, assuming xbox prices will be 5he same i think I'm going pc only for the first few years of this gen

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
With 20% VAT in UK, 120% of $70 is $84

$84 = just under £65

I suppose it's not hugely off if I've done the math right? Still fucking high though

Krooner

Oct 27, 2017
I notice they've left GBP out, trying to set RRP with our cut-throat games retail is never going to work.

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This is why you wait one month for the price to drop. It happens on everything. Also - PHYSICAL.

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get the point of this for first party titles when Microsoft includes all first party games in Game Pass. This isn't competitive at all if you own one of the digital consoles.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Fuck me. Wasn't planning on picking up a PS5 at launch but this announcement confirms I need the disc version eventually then. Digital games just don't go down fast enough without a direct sale, and who knows if we'll get as many digital sales if a large user base only has the option of digital. No chance.

Sorel

Oct 27, 2017
80 fucking € !?

Well I'll no longer buy in specialized stores and digital can go fuck itself, great move Sony.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
Exactly you can stock up on a lot of quality games on Black Friday and Christmas sales, if you know what your doing this is a cheap hobby.
The thing is, you only have to "hold off" once. Because once you hold off on games in Year 1, you get to play those games in Year 2. So you're busy playing Year 1 games in Year 2, so you aren't lacking for games while you hold off on the Year 2 games. Then Year 3 . . . etc.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
$70 for crossgen games. Are the PS4 versions also gonna be $70?

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
Wait. It's 10e on top of USD/Eur conversion? WTF!? I never buy games on release anyway, but WTF?

edit: And this further solidifies my decision to go with the disc drive PS5.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
tenor.gif