• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
If they thought it was going to become a big issue I think they probably would give more consideration to the explicit whitelist approach.

I'd have preferred they went in the opposite direction. Allow only an explicit whitelist at launch and guarantee high level of QA with that hardware. If it turns out to have no issues and maybe 12-18 months down the line in practice devs new games are not relying on 5.5GB/s, relax the requirements to make things more flexible for users.

By not setting a high bar from the outset, people will make $100+ purchasing decisions based on it and once that happens it is hard to put the toothpaste back in the tube PR-wise.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tbh my guess is it would be fine without the heatsink generally speaking, and I bet if you left that white metal cover off it would help with temps a bit.

Jan 4, 2021

darfox8

Nov 5, 2017
USA
Do you want as a technical-minded user to have to wonder about whether every game you play is performing less than optimally due to the drive and have to test copying it to both locations to confirm that? If they guaranteed that a list of fast drives will be tested by first party to work identically to internal storage as part of certification, that'd be one thing. But they're not even committing to that, just leaving doubt to the user.
As a tech-minded user, I'm going to sit my ass on the sidelines and see what DF and a half dozen other places say about the SSDs. This will be WAY easier to research than any computer part. All of which we manage fine. Don't cry for little Timmy. If he can afford these SSDs rn it won't kill him to google a bit.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i think the heat sink issue is pretty across the board for gen4 drives. Even on the pc they require them. Some MB even have the heat sink built in.

Yeah I'm just saying they are sold without heatsinks and people use them without. It will undoubtedly happen with PS5, even with a whitelist. I don't see how they can actually hardcheck if a heatsink is installed.

They actually should do a stealth hardware revision and start including a heatsink in the on new ps5s for this reason. Just a basic metal plate heatsink is better than nothing and people will buy naked drives because they are cheaper.

Oct 27, 2017
Jul 18, 2021
Sony are doing what they always did. Make you put a hard drive in, that would fit your PC as well.

Microsoft are doing what they always did. Make you buy a hard drive in a packaging that only fits to your console. Remember the 360 days.

So nothing new here on either sides.

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020
Is a Samsung 980 Pro even good enough? I'm also annoyed a M.2 heatsink isn't built in for some reason lol

Starting to think Sony should have went the same route as MS with expandable storage even if it means prices don't drop quite as fast.
For sure the 980 pro should be good enough

Prices are already dropping fast even considering the chip shortage and pandemic. In a few years it will clearly be the better option. In fact, I would go on to say both next gen consoles will surely use a similar setup. I have a Series X but wish it at least had a bay to insert an M.2 SSD. If they provide such an option on a slim model in 3 years from now it would be a godsend. Cooling seems to be the biggest issue though.

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I'm just saying they are sold without heatsinks and people use them without. It will undoubtedly happen with PS5, even with a whitelist. I don't see how they can actually hardcheck if a heatsink is installed.

They actually should do a stealth hardware revision and start including a heatsink in the on new ps5s for this reason. Just a basic metal plate heatsink is better than nothing and people will buy naked drives because they are cheaper.

they sell them bare because high end motherboards include a heat sink. Using a gen 4 without one is rather unwise.

gen 3 was fine bare, though I'd still recommend at least a heat spreader.

I think we'll see manufacturers sell "ps5 compatible " heat sinks soon. I'm not sure if Sony would build one in due to the different ssd sizes and models.

On a related note, I do hope people test a wide variety. While no doubt we'll see the weather digital, Seagate and Samsung's, I'd really love to see smaller manufacturers like Mushkin and so on.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
As a tech-minded user, I'm going to sit my ass on the sidelines and see what DF and a half dozen other places say about the SSDs.

LOL, DF was one of the major outlets disappointed with Sony titles becoming cross-gen after being initially announced as PS5 exclusive. Mainly because they were concerned that devs would compromise technical decisions. Quite similar to the potential need to compromise if there is a new soft limit for storage performance.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
they sell them bare because high end motherboards include a heat sink. Using a gen 4 without one is rather unwise.

I think we'll see manufacturers sell "ps5 compatible " heat sinks soon. I'm not sure if Sony would build one in due to the different ssd sizes and models.

On a related note, I do hope people test a wide variety. While no doubt we'll see the weather digital, Seagate and Samsung's, I'd really love to see smaller manufacturers like Mushkin and so on.

Right, I'm just saying I don't think it would be that hard for Sony to do a stealth ps5 revision with an included 2280/22110 heatsink, like MB manufacturers include.

Tbh it's surprising they made the slot 22110 compatible even, there's very few drives in that format. I guess it does allow a bit extra space at least.

ValeYard

Oct 25, 2017
I just bought a WD SB850 with heatsink. Lol at my impulse control. Please don't let me beg when no beta invite comes.

shungokusatsu

Dec 16, 2017
I've got 3 of the drives on the list and just got my beta invite, but the heatsinks won't be here until tomorrow. I knew I should have opted for same day delivery lmao.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just bought a WD SB850 with heatsink. Lol at my impulse control. Please don't let me beg when no beta invite comes.

I want to buy something but the lack of clarity over potentially harsher limitations after the beta I'll just wait I guess. Main drive I'm considering is honestly the xpg s50 lite. I'm willing to compromise on loading times a bit to save $80.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018

I think the heatsink thing is overblown. TechPowerUp's review of the bare SN850 shows it performing at full speed without a fan blowing on it, with it running at over 80C. The Samsung 980 Pro ran even hotter and still maintained speed. That's in a non-enclosed environment but PS5 will have some air circulation.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I think the heatsink thing is overblown. TechPowerUp's review of the bare SN850 shows it performing at full speed without a fan blowing on it, with it running at over 80C. The Samsung 980 Pro ran even hotter and still maintained speed. That's in a non-enclosed environment but PS5 will have some air circulation.

I think the use case for the PS5 is going to be unique because SSDs typically aren't inside some kind of enclosure / cage as is the case on the PS5 though.

I mean even most PC towers there is some sort of airflow from intake fans (Of course this isn't factoring watercooled setups)

I think Sony recommends users to have heatsink because there is only one single large fan acting as the main cooling unit for the console, not factoring the huge ass heatsink for the motherboard of course.

darfox8

Nov 5, 2017
USA
LOL, DF was one of the major outlets disappointed with Sony titles becoming cross-gen after being initially announced as PS5 exclusive. Mainly because they were concerned that devs would compromise technical decisions. Quite similar to the potential need to compromise if there is a new soft limit for storage performance.
What does that have to do with anything???

I'm talking about testing and evaluating which SSDs make then cut and which don't. There will be a concrete list of products, whether from Sony or from someone else.

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
This hypothetical really doesn't matter much because the PS5 games copied to an external drive can only be stored there as cold storage and cannot be loaded / played while stored externally.

Also if you put in a drive in the PS5 that does not meet the minimum requirements this is the warning you get.

Sony wouldn't put contingencies in place like this if they didn't plan things thoroughly.

It was the same when 360 and Xbox One had USB expansion. Xbox set up warnings when you plugged in the device that wasn't good enough. Back then there was a glut of garbage USB sticks.

Deleted member 1003

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seagate already did that this morning and WD posted an image a little before the PS5 launch saying their new drive was PS5 compatible.
www.pushsquare.com

Western Digital Reveals First PS5 Compatible SSD

500GB, 1TB, and 2TB options
I imagine during or shortly after the beta manufacturers will start adding "PS5 compatible" to product pages.
I am aware, that's why I said "other" manufacturers. Thanks for reposting the link to WD however.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
What does that have to do with anything???

I'm talking about testing and evaluating which SSDs make then cut and which don't. There will be a concrete list of products, whether from Sony or from someone else.

The point is that Sony should've made a list themselves that they guaranteed equivalent performance with. That would eliminate doubt for users with respect to compatibility and devs with respect to performance minimums. Instead we have confusion among users and devs like Insomniac tweeting about them testing performance.

DF can do this but DF has no access to internal metrics and no skin in the game if they fail to catch problems with a particularly demanding part of a specific game.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018

darfox8

Nov 5, 2017
USA
The point is that Sony should've made a list themselves that they guaranteed equivalent performance with. That would eliminate doubt for users with respect to compatibility and devs with respect to performance minimums. Instead we have confusion among users and devs like Insomniac tweeting about them testing performance.

DF can do this but DF has no access to internal metrics and no skin in the game if they fail to catch problems with a particularly demanding part of a specific game.
Ok... I'm no dev. So I don't want to trivialize any work they may have. But testing is part of the game. They test shit. Go complain about the Xbox Series S, that's a whole ass extra console they have to test, and they do.

As far as consumer confusion I see minimal. Someone will google "upgrading PS5 Hardrive" and they'll know the 5 favorite options of people.

Kazuma Kiryu

Oct 28, 2017
I cant believe people are going to bat for proprietary solutions

I mean, proprietary solutions are clearly better. Why should you just be able to buy some "random" drive and install it in your PS5? That's PC territory, and should have nothing to do with consoles. At least on Microsoft's console, you just go to the store, buy a thing that works and plug it in.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Sony are doing what they always did. Make you put a hard drive in, that would fit your PC as well.

Microsoft are doing what they always did. Make you buy a hard drive in a packaging that only fits to your console. Remember the 360 days.

So nothing new here on either sides.

Pretty sure the XBOX HDD could be replaced with off the shelf parts. Back then Sony also used proprietary memory cards.

Same for the PSP and Vita with proprietary memory cards, though the Vita was super proprietary.

I mean, proprietary solutions are clearly better. Why should you just be able to buy some "random" drive and install it in your PS5? That's PC territory, and should have nothing to do with consoles. At least on Microsoft's console, you just go to the store, buy a thing that works and plug it in.

Sadly, given the way it's set up in the PS5 I'm not sure I'll ever upgrade mine. I don't even like opening my PC and am extremely bad, because of dysgraphia, with hand dexterity.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
By that metric the HDDs in the PS3 and PS4 should have never been user upgradable which Sony completely allowed.

I really don't like we are making arbitrary metrics of what should and should not be allowed on console just because people don't want to associate them with PC centric hardware.

You also have the choice to NOT upgrade. Also proprietary solutions are pretty much always more expensive, you don't get alternatives because of the nature of being proprietary. Case in point the Xbox 360 HDD, The PS Vita Memory Card, and so forth. There were less expensive and much more efficient choices on the market but those angles weren't given because of being proprietary in nature.

RoastBeeph

Oct 29, 2017
Yep, it's clear why Microsoft went with a proprietary solution here. It's true plug and play. The PS5 upgrade method is going to scare off many people who might have otherwise thought of upgrading their fast storage. Opening up a console is something a lot of people will never entertain.

The heat sink requirement especially seems dangerous to me, something some people will be unaware of when upgrading. Who knows what kind of damage the lack of info could cause in that situation.

DNice

Oct 2, 2018
That's your opinion. I want as many options as possible.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think either solution is great. I'd like a way on the PS5 to be able to plug more storage in and run games without the fridge. But I think you should still be able to change the internal storage. Same for the XBOX, I think not being able to change the internal storage is a mistake but I like that the option to just plug in an expansion exists.

Status
Not open for further replies.