• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Sony we're NEVER gonna release clock speeds this far out when things of this nature can change later down the line, similar somewhat with memory. You just don't blow your load this far out from launch.

True,but i think we can expect sometime soon leak with dev kit specs with clock speed included.

alfredo_V

Oct 25, 2017
Everything sounds fantastic, but I'm worried about where they will cut corners to the cost of performance. We all know they wont have the new PS built with only state of the art components.

OP
OP
Wollan

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
True,but i think we can expect sometime soon leak with dev kit specs with clock speed included.
Wouldn't be quite accurate though according to final PS5 specs if we are to believe the article:

"When Spidey reappears in a totally different spot in Manhattan, 15 seconds have elapsed. Then Cerny does the same thing on a next-gen devkit connected to a different TV. (The devkit, an early "low-speed" version, is concealed in a big silver tower, with no visible componentry.) What took 15 seconds now takes less than one: 0.8 seconds, to be exact."

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
I need to read up on SSD's

If we are only getting a 1tb drive by the time the OS and other services take their share of space, combined with the increase in game size we can only have 3 or 4 games installed at one time.

I might be able make it work. I don't like the idea of constantly deleting and installing game data.

Everything sounds fantastic, but I'm worried about where they will cut corners to the cost of performance. We all know they wont have the new PS built with only state of the art components.

Cheap out on the controller battery like they did this generation. Got for a matte finish than shiny. They will cut corners but it will be stuff like this than hardware.

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda funny games had this opinion that there was a lack of fanfare and hype, and that it's odd Sony decided to randomly release this info with on online article.
Greg did counter though by saying when cerny introduced the ps4 and presented its specs he thought it was boring and more suited to a Internet interview/article.
It's funny because Cernys presentation was the favourite part for me and others at the time.
Yeah stuff like spec reveals match even the best game reveals in how exciting it can be. This way of doing it is just... The opposite of hype i guess :P

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017
CPU and GPU both get a generational leap of an upgrade. Can't wait to see how games look on the PS5!

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017
Kinda funny games had this opinion that there was a lack of fanfare and hype, and that it's odd Sony decided to randomly release this info with on online article.
Greg did counter though by saying when cerny introduced the ps4 and presented its specs he thought it was boring and more suited to a Internet interview/article.
It's funny because Cernys presentation was the favourite part for me and others at the time.

Honestly I loved the heck out of the Feb 20th PS4 reveal conference in 2013. Cerny's demonstration of what to expect from then next gen console from Sony was perfect. The lack of an actual hardware design reveal might have been the only criticism. They however did make up for that in E3 and E3 2013 to this day remains as one of the greatest E3's of all time. Sony floored the whole world!

Feb 10, 2018
Honestly I loved the heck out of the Feb 20th PS4 reveal conference in 2013. Cerny's demonstration of what to expect from then next gen console from Sony was perfect. The lack of an actual hardware design reveal might have been the only criticism. They however did make up for that in E3 and E3 2013 to this day remains as one of the greatest E3's of all time. Sony floored the whole world!

I guess it could still happen, they still need to announce the gpu + ram specs and talk about secret condiments.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Yeah pretty much.

Let's not have the opposite situation after PS4 was announced and specs were given. There were people claiming MS just havent disclosed its secret sauce yet.

Just accept that Xbox 5 X (I can't remember the codename) will be much more powerful at a higher pricepoint.

Fine, but I'm still getting the PS5.

But given the fact PS5 has stuff like ray tracing and most likely native 4k gaming, possibly at 60fps, I am curious what the next Xbox' USP will be? I mean, nobody will have an 8K TV next year and minor differences like a few games running at a higher dynamic res or having a slightly bigger draw distance, isn't gonna cut it, I presume. What will "more powerful at a higher pricepoint" give you in comparison to a console that does 4K (8K ready), super fast loading times, ray tracing, 3D audio, BC, PS VR ready (even old headsets)? I mean, apart from fps that could be higher, we've reached the point of diminishing returns in terms of resolution and games are already looking insanely good nowadays.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
CPU and GPU both get a generational leap of an upgrade. Can't wait to see how games look on the PS5!
Like PS4 but with an assload of RT stuff thrown in. Having a system Sony can actually push to 4k and maybe 60, will be an eye opener for people who jumped into the half-hearted PS Pro upgrade Sony did.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
Very exciting, I really hope we see more advanced A. I's, Npc behaviour and animations.

I fact that's the thing I want improved the most.

AI improvements will require extra dev work and desire so I think that will vary but it definitely leaves a lot of exciting possibility open when thought of in conjunction with ray-tracing for mechanics purposes (like the guard hearing footsteps example he gives).

I think the big think is having a powerful CPU that can keep up with the GPU (unlike the lopsided GPU-focus of this gen) means it's going to be much easier for devs to hit 60fps more reliably. Yes, 60fps is always a choice and they may decide to add a shit ton more physics simulations or whatever, but Jaguar was behind the curve the entire gen and it made 60 a lot more unobtainable without greater compromise in other areas.

Hopewell

Jan 17, 2018
Very exciting news. We just need to know more about the GPU and the RAM.
But it seems that PS4 to PS5 will be a bigger leap than PS3 to PS4.
I am really impatient to see what can be done with the much better CPU and the SSD.
But if the SSD is really faster than every other SSD and if it allows things that are impossible with other hard drive or SSD (very fast traversal for example), will it be limited to first party games? I don't see developers asking for PC gamers to buy a new SSD to play their game.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017

Thinking about this a little, I'm not sure revealing broadstrokes tech info in a low key way prior to 'proper conferences' is that unprecedented for Sony.

With PS4 they kept mum until the first conference. PS3 was a different story altogether - they drip fed out key technology choices just in press releases, long before the official conference unveiling. My memory with PS2 is hazier, but I think there was some official chat around chip partnerships prior to its 'grand unveiling'.

Sitting down for an interview like this is unprecedented, but the idea of low key teasing tech bits outside of a conference setting may not be so historically atypical.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I am really impatient to see what can be done with the much better CPU and the SSD.
But if the SSD is really faster than every other SSD and if it allows things that are impossible with other hard drive or SSD (very fast traversal for example), will it be limited to first party games? I don't see developers asking for PC gamers to buy a new SSD to play their game.
Personally speaking, my first PC SSD update was like a real nextgen upgrade. Even with lower end machines, the speed is just amazing and that was a lower end SSD. It could be a massive boost for Consoles and if they pair it with a solid CPU and GPU combo, without sacrificing the bandwidth, it could be something special and a huge leap for consoles.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Wouldn't be quite accurate though according to final PS5 specs if we are to believe the article:

"When Spidey reappears in a totally different spot in Manhattan, 15 seconds have elapsed. Then Cerny does the same thing on a next-gen devkit connected to a different TV. (The devkit, an early "low-speed" version, is concealed in a big silver tower, with no visible componentry.) What took 15 seconds now takes less than one: 0.8 seconds, to be exact."

Yeah,but developers need to know roughly what CPU clock speed they will be working with regarding next gen games so i don't expect Sony can drastically overclock/downclock final CPU/APU silicon comparing to dev kits.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Yeah,but developers need to know roughly what CPU clock speed they will be working with regarding next gen games so i don't expect Sony can drastically overclock/downclock final CPU/APU silicon comparing to dev kits.
You will probably get some slight tweaks to speeds etc but much of that depends on Sonys cooling solutions and how much they want to OC.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
It's a little after the fact, but for the small bit of confusion that was there over whether Cerny merely meant to talk about raytracing in an audio context, the article's author clarified Twitter:

Of course this still tells us nothing about whether specialized hardware is involved or to what scale it's capable. But just that he did mean raytracing for graphics - that he at least believes it's credible enough at one or other level, or at a marketing level at least, to include it in the PS5 conversation.

alfredo_V

Oct 25, 2017
I need to read up on SSD's

If we are only getting a 1tb drive by the time the OS and other services take their share of space, combined with the increase in game size we can only have 3 or 4 games installed at one time.

I might be able make it work. I don't like the idea of constantly deleting and installing game data.

Cheap out on the controller battery like they did this generation. Got for a matte finish than shiny. They will cut corners but it will be stuff like this than hardware.
Yeah, fine by me. Actually quite smart I'd say if they just go by having less quality peripherals, premium controllers could be sold on the side.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
If Sony copy anything from MS, please go for the cooling option the 1X had. All this power will suck if they go traditional and make it sound like the base PS4 does.

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds it but it makes sense if they want the most powerful console. They'd be stupid to pull a PS3/Xbox One reveal. It's all about the pricing. They'd absolutely need that PS5 price competitor and can do whatever with the higher end console.

Lockhart is not gonna be on par with PS5. It's the budget box. Anaconda and PS5 will be direct competitors and very close in specs and price.

$499 with Sony taking a $100 loss.

Last edited:

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, fine by me. Actually quite smart I'd say if they just go by having less quality peripherals, premium controllers could be sold on the side.

I am surprised they didn't copy Microsoft with the premium controller this generation. Even an official one with the Xbox stick positions for choice.

Pesmerga

Aug 22, 2018
The more i think about it the more it makes sense.

Why would Sony/MS NOT go for the more very-powerful-console-around-499$-or-599$ when BOTH Google AND Apple now officially have entered the game space and wants a piece of the cake? I don't think it make sense to cheap out on components and not being able to offer a truly next gen leap with the above put in the equation.

If I remember correctly several big names in the industry such as Tim Sweeney from EPIC advised Sony to go for 8g ram and other hardware related things before the PS4 launched. This was mainly because they already back then saw the rapid increase in power on phones/tablets and the argument was something like "if you don't make your console powerful enough people will be able to have a somewhat equal experience on phones/tablets" .

- Please don't sound like a jet engine.
- Please offer a BC mode where the PS5 can boost the performance significantly on PS4 titles.
- Please make Bloodborne 2 a launch title.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fine, but I'm still getting the PS5.

But given the fact PS5 has stuff like ray tracing and most likely native 4k gaming, possibly at 60fps, I am curious what the next Xbox' USP will be? I mean, nobody will have an 8K TV next year and minor differences like a few games running at a higher dynamic res or having a slightly bigger draw distance, isn't gonna cut it, I presume. What will "more powerful at a higher pricepoint" give you in comparison to a console that does 4K (8K ready), super fast loading times, ray tracing, 3D audio, BC, PS VR ready (even old headsets)? I mean, apart from fps that could be higher, we've reached the point of diminishing returns in terms of resolution and games are already looking insanely good nowadays.
Oh yeah I'm not saying don't get the PS5, like you I'm excited of what's coming.

Being more powerful is not the be all or end all. BC compatibility and upgrades for my old games is great, and their AAA games has only disappointed me once this gen. There's a lot of things to be excited about when it comes to the PS5, and I'm definitely getting one.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Why would Sony/MS NOT go for the more very-powerful-console-around-499$-or-599$ when BOTH Google AND Apple now officially have entered the game space and wants a piece of the cake? I don't think it make sense to cheap out on components and not being able to offer a truly next gen leap with the above put in the equation.
I don't believe the stream platforms made a difference. They probably just realized that a shorter leap would mean they would then have to release an even stronger console soon and many people would probably wait and see.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really understand most of this, but how does it measure up to MS's rumoured specs so far?

Good to know they'll have PS4 BC out of the box. Makes me much more likely to buy one sooner to replace my PS4.

Nov 8, 2017
Don't know much about tech, so I want to ask - would the 8K be checkerboarded?

It can output an 8k signal (because presumably it's using the HDMI 2.1 spec), he wasn't saying games would use that resolution. A handful of games might have some 8k capabilities (like graphically simple ones) but it's more likely going to be for media playback, if for anything.

Gradly

Nov 11, 2017
If Sony copy anything from MS, please go for the cooling option the 1X had. All this power will suck if they go traditional and make it sound like the base PS4 does.

The reason why I'm excited for PS5 is to play the current PS4 games but quieter lol. To be honest I wish they give us a disc-less SKU / model so we get more space and better cooling and will save them money too haha

JCreasy

Oct 27, 2017

Spine tingling statement right here. I remember how I effectively convinced myself that I was impressed with Killzone Shadowfall. Man.

I am ready to be thoroughly/sincerely wowed this time. Imagine the fidelity Death Stranding will achieve on PS5!

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

CPU wise, definitely. For the rest... Temper your expectations. Especially since PS4 Pro is a thing.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
Spine tingling statement right here. I remember how I effectively convinced myself that I was impressed with Killzone Shadowfall. Man.

I am ready to be thoroughly/sincerely wowed this time. Imagine the fidelity Death Stranding will achieve on PS5!

Honestly I rather want to imagine what a game build from the ground up only for the new system will look. That will be the real jump.

Hopewell

Jan 17, 2018
CPU wise, definitely. For the rest... Temper your expectations. Especially since PS4 Pro is a thing.

Games are made for the PS4 as the baseline so I believe it's more appropriate to compare PS5 with it rather than with the Pro.

If the GPU is above 10.7 Tflops => Similar leap.
CPU => Much greater leap
SSD => Much greater leap
RAM => Smaller leap. But I don't think it's such a problem, especially with the SSD.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Watched some videos of the game a few weeks ago, Shadowfall holds up well.

Just pity that it's shit.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I actually feel comfortable buying more PS4 games now I know they'll be playable down the line. Time to get Horizon and God of War.