• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

VXLbeast

Nov 28, 2017
Wow, the depth of details provided here is stunning. Was not expecting anything like this for months and months.

Seems to be extremely positive news all around. If they hit $399 my goodness.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
The raytracing thing is kind of a bummer to me as that will be a buzzword and devs will probably chase it at huge performance hits.

I just really hope we see more 60fps options in games with a much better processor, even if it means 1080p/60 (or better - 1440p/60). I'll take that any day instead.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
They obviously don't pay retail. But you're still conflating NVMe with "fast SSD". The SSD "demo" in the article went from 15s to 0.8. That's a 18.75x increase. If we assume the PS4 Pro 3Gbps (GBIT/s) Sata 2 drive is working at max speed, that gives a SSD speed of 56.25 Gbit/s (or 7GB/s). That's faster than any current high end NVMe PCIe SSD. There is 0 chance they putting in a big ol SSD for everyone to have fun with. Even with reduced cost, 1TB drive would be too much. The "demo" was most likely a highly tuned, best case scenario use of a hybrid/tiered SSD. E.g, a small (10-100GB) of high speed flash with larger amount of slower flash storage.

TLDR, yes, they're going to use (probably 100%) solid state storage in the PS5. No, it's not going to be a singular drive that provides 7GB/s throughput without any optimization from the developer.

The Travelstar 5K1000 in the PS4Pro can sustain speeds of no more than 90MBps (and I'm being generous). This is sustained speed, say a a compressed file containing a level, forget about loading a bunch of assets from random parts of the disk it will fall to around 1MBps in random reads. A Pcie 4.0 NVME drive would be able to do a sustained transfer rate of 31500Mbps if it can bottleneck the port (minus overhead et al).

It's a big old SSD with a great interface and well performing flash.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the ray tracing name drop is just fancy PR speak just like dropping the mention of 8k support. Ray tracing is extremely expensive on even RTX GPUs (it literally halves my framerate at 4k in Metro) and while the ray tracing benefits are obvious and appealing, i think devs can produce amazing envrionments without ray tracing.

See the rebirth demo screenshots below. Done on a single 1080Ti with no ray tracing.

dims

02___Still_Twinrocks.jpeg

Unreal+Engine%2Fblog%2Fquixel-demonstrates-stunning-photorealism-using-unreal-engine-and-megascans-at-gdc%2Fblog_body_stillmidrock-1640x1000-02441c297a63e7a25212d644e9a423e88e391577.jpg

This is Metro with Ray tracing Global Illumination on.

9xk94whs39k21.png

I think next games can look just fine without ray tracing. I'd rather they spent the GPU resources elsewhere.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
wow those are some impressive specs.
Can't expect it below $500-600 with what they are offering. If they are that is amazing.

SSD speeds faster than anything on market for PC...even NVMe...?

Amauri14

Oct 27, 2017
Danbury, CT, USA
Ray Tracing? Extremely fast high-end custom SSD? Zen 2 and a Navi GPU? Plus backwards compatible with at least PS4? Damn Sony is not playing around. If those were rumors I honestly would not believe it them just based on the SSD part.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
I wonder if the ray tracing name drop is just fancy PR speak just like dropping the mention of 8k support. Ray tracing is extremely expensive on even RTX GPUs (it literally halves my framerate at 4k in Metro) and while the ray tracing benefits are obvious and appealing, i think devs can produce amazing envrionments without ray tracing.

See the rebirth demo screenshots below. Done on a single 1080Ti with no ray tracing.

dims

02___Still_Twinrocks.jpeg

Unreal+Engine%2Fblog%2Fquixel-demonstrates-stunning-photorealism-using-unreal-engine-and-megascans-at-gdc%2Fblog_body_stillmidrock-1640x1000-02441c297a63e7a25212d644e9a423e88e391577.jpg

I think next games can look just fine without ray tracing. I'd rather they spent the GPU resources elsewhere.
I dont want to bubble burst, but I have heard from two separate sources that what is shown off in editor in the rebirth demo vs. what occurs in the rendered out video is in fact not the same.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds way too good to be true. I'd lower my expectations massively.

Expect there to be either compromises or a significantly higher price.

One slight ray of hope in all of this is that an 8-core CPU might possibly allow for Cell emulation.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Phil alluded to there being two consoles. If he can have a cheaper $399 console, he might have an advantage on day 1.

Phil has also spent a lot of money creating new studios. They might not all be ready at launch but he should have enough AAA games with amazing next gen graphics to keep up with Sony.

Xbox still sells very well in the U.S and U.K, he might not catch up next gen but he can definitely compete better than he did this gen.

I don't know if having that cheaper console will necessarily benefit them versus Sony's one system strategy. It's difficult to tell how the market will react. And yea, I can't see those new studios having games ready for launch, and then with the exception of Playground Games and Ninja Theory, I'm not even sure of the potential quality of the titles those acquired studios will make. I guess only time will tell. But Sony has some serious fire with these specs and with the potential launch line up.

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
The Travelstar 5K1000 in the PS4Pro can sustain speeds of no more than 90MBps (and I'm being generous). This is sustained speed, say a a compressed file containing a level, forget about loading a bunch of assets from random parts of the disk it will fall to around 1MBps in random reads. A Pcie 4.0 NVME drive would be able to do a sustained transfer rate of 31500Mbps if it can bottleneck the port (minus overhead et al).

It's a big old SSD with a great interface and well performing flash.

Yeah so that goes back to the previous post. The NAND flash that fully uses that "great interface" isn't cheap. I'd be VERY surprised if a 1TB 5+GB/s flash storage solution makes the BOM cut.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Would they really bother with PS3 and further back BC at this point? In day one.

I really hope they do. I hate dusting off old consoles when I want to play an older game. The lack of any kind of PS1 support and the fact that I can't play my digital PS1 games still pisses me off. How cool of a selling point would it be if the PS5 supported games from every PlayStation console? Maybe it would be too much of a challenge in terms of licensing, but it would be amazing.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
They obviously don't pay retail. But you're still conflating NVMe with "fast SSD". The SSD "demo" in the article went from 15s to 0.8. That's a 18.75x increase. If we assume the PS4 Pro 3Gbps (GBIT/s) Sata 2 drive is working at max speed, that gives a SSD speed of 56.25 Gbit/s (or 7GB/s). That's faster than any current high end NVMe PCIe SSD. There is 0 chance they putting in a big ol SSD for everyone to have fun with. Even with reduced cost, 1TB drive would be too much. The "demo" was most likely a highly tuned, best case scenario use of a hybrid/tiered SSD. E.g, a small (10-100GB) of high speed flash with larger amount of slower flash storage.

TLDR, yes, they're going to use (probably 100%) solid state storage in the PS5. No, it's not going to be a singular drive that provides 7GB/s throughput without any optimization from the developer.
The PS4 pro is a 5400 rpm HDD so it's definitely not getting anywhere near maximum SATA II speeds.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Do we think that the big Sony exclusives will be cross buy? Buy on PS4 digital and play on PS5 later with upgrades?

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does Xbox have a Cerny like figure working for them? I mean, is there a lead designer of Xbox, who we just don't hear about?

Oct 30, 2017
I've been saying this for years... November 2020 499$ with no mid gen refresh on mind for next gen which is clearly now since they will start selling the console with loss and they are preparing a beast of a console from the very beginning unlike PS4.

And I guess next gen life cycle will even be longer than the usual 7 years now.

A1an

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I cannot wait!

The SSD is interesting though, I mean what size is it going to be it is going to have to be at least 1TB there is then the cost implications, a 1TB Pro is £350, I couldn't see the PS5 being out in eighteen months time for £400, a 1TB SSD is about £100 so trade would be £50 and maybe Sony if buying millions would get them for £30-£40, but I would think that you would want to get at least a 2TB, I got a 500GB PS4 and the first thing I did was put in a 1TB SSHD.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I can't imagine Sony want to rock the boat with an over $400 price. They may consider taking a loss on hardware because they will easily make up that revenue on software and services.

nss

Apr 10, 2018
If one of the core aspects of the PS5 is this SSD that has supposedly higher "raw bandwidth" than any SSDs available in current PCs then I don't expect this to be user upgradable storage, nor for games to be able to run off external storage. Seeing as games will be built with this bandwidth in mind and the system will require that it be present.

Custom SSD = $$$, PCIe4 SSD = $$$

I'm so glad the next console is coming with an SSD, I assumed it would be too pricey to keep in, but I'm glad Cerny and his team saw the value, so much so they doubled down with this custom (?) configuration.

However a custom or PCIe4 SSD is likely to be more expensive on a per GB basis than probably a good chunk of the currently available SSDs. This box can't cost more than $500. So I don't think we're getting 1 TB of storage on this SSD. (I hope I'm wrong for the record) But this might be a dual drive machine. Hopefully 512GB (although I could see them even doing 256GB) of this custom SSD + 500GB+ conventional drive for storage purposes that's also potentially user upgradable.

Personally I'll take SSD > user upgradable storage. Hopefully there is still a way to expand storage, as the 2TB drive I put in my PS4 has been full for over a year.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
Even if all AAA games don't make use of ray tracing, we 100% will see more and more indie games leading the way in utilizing ray tracing in their games. And everyone playing those games will be glad for it. The baseline should be much better this time around.

Putty

Double Eleven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Middlesbrough
Very nice, very ...expected...well the custom SSD aside...Also $499 / E529 / £429. No way on this planet this is $399 I'd bet a packet of Love Hearts on this.