• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
This is a smart move to get people talking about Sony PlayStation again.

It would take a lot to get me to upgrade. PS4Pro and X can be blamed for that.

I bet it's the same old controller with a couple tweaks.

CyclotronHGA

Oct 26, 2017
What I'm most curious about is the cooling/venting system and how well it will work. I really don't want the PS5 sounding like a PS4 Pro.

Yesterday

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wonder what kind of pc hardware matches this. I have a 2060 now so I'll probably end up having to upgrade that in two years.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
guys the bit about spider man running with no load times compared to 15 second of PS4 pro.....PS5 improved BC confirmed ?

TKM

Oct 28, 2017
I shouldn't have been worried, but really glad to see physical media mentioned. It'll be a very easy transition from PS4P for me.

Dec 11, 2017
India
Physical media. Thanks, Cerny. It's not like I don't support digital games, but it's my ISP. An open dinner-invite to Cerny. Come over man. Let's celebrate!

RTX ON

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
100 million PS4 owners have an easy route to next-gen.

Gonna be a tough get for Microsoft to entice players from Sonys ecosystem now.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
guys the bit about spider man running with no load times compared to 15 second of PS4 pro.....PS5 improved BC confirmed ?
I'm hoping that's the implication rather than them just porting the game to PS5 devkit. Improved BC on PS4 games would be greeeat. Looking at you Bloodborne (and hundreds of other games that could use some extra FPS's lol)!!

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Sony doing the right thing, it is also the time of speed too, not all on graphics it alone.

Digital Foundry will have to start into the loading time comparison.
Tbh it's not that important, I've had a fraction of the console loading times on PC for years but that has never been reason enough to choose a PC version for me. I'm excited for the framerate increase in old PS4 games and ray-tracing!

AfterTheFall

Oct 27, 2017
All sounds very exciting to me! Like others have mentioned I hope they improve the DualShock build and battery. I find the triggers and bit in between uncomfortable at times, but I do have a form of arthritis so that might be reason. Anyway, this is a nice surprise on a random Tuesday afternoon :)

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Given what I've heard, i'd be surprised if Sony shared any more info on PS5 anytime soon.

Maybe PSX time/next year.

Could be wrong.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
That adds to the suggestion that it might be a cache only. So a small(ish) 128/256GB super fast SSD combined with HDD for game storage. That still lets you add external storage

This would make a lot of sense to load essential data onto the cache and then stream it as needed predictably, while still affording the use of a standard HDD. Fingers crossed that's what we're getting.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
It sounds pretty incredible. I am particularly surprised with the hardware dedicated to 3D audio, and the possibilities with streaming technology that games will be able to achieve with their SSD solution. As far as raytracing is concerned, I'd want a demo to understand how much of a presence it will next-gen.

At this point I'm all in, but this thing is sounding like an expensive beast. I wonder how much cost they'll eat at launch.

The details we *didn't* get are pretty interesting too. I'm guessing they positioned themselves so as to best react to MS' announcements.
I wonder if it's the 3D audio tech that AMD has had since 2012 in all their GPU's, it sadly only got used in like 2 games, one of them being Thief, i really hope Sony pushes for it, seriously Audio hasn't involved much since the 90's.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do these specs make 60 fps standard a possibility? Or will it, as ever mean will still end up with 30 fps for most games?

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
Confirmation of the SSD and raytracing is interesting. Both seemed possible but not certain. The rest is pretty in line with expectations.

I am really curious about the strategy of getting it out there in this way. Is the hope that by getting it out there only in written format in a Wired article, they'll get the word out to people who really care in a way that more casual audiences won't hear so much about, so they'll be less disincentivized from picking up a PS4 this year? And letting it all be known would at least imply that they're confident MS is locked into something similar, that they're not endangering any strategic advantage by showing their hand that SSD and load times are a big focus for them.

Do these specs make 60 fps standard a possibility? Or will it, as ever mean will still end up with 30 fps for most games?

I think if it weren't for raytracing, it would at least be plausible to think that we had finally reached the point where most devs would be working with enough power that the sacrifices to get to 60 would be seen as acceptable for most games. I think raytracing means you'll see a lot more games running at 30 to get high-quality lighting. Not to mention if 8KTV penetration gets to the point where devs actually start using the ability to render in 8K.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
It is for me. Just another carrot on a stick that will keep AAA games at 30fps for another gen (I know I know, hyperbole but you can totally see it happening can't you).

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for 60fps minimum across the board.
You could ship consoles with 2x Titan RTX and a 9990XE OC'd to hell and back, and devs would still find a way to deliver "CINEMATIC" 30 because shiny is gooder.

Oct 30, 2017
wonder how much lag will be on the ps5 controllers wireless?
always played wired on the ps4

If it's anything like the PS4 controller it could again potentially be the fastest on the market.

It was tested and people found out the PS4 controller has some of the the fastest latancy on the market, so much so that it's faster than the wired USB connection you are using on it.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Good thing he confirmed bc, because I would have skipped PS5 if they didn't include it.

Oct 27, 2017
So confirmed is:

8 core 7nm Zen CPU
Some SSD, likely 1TB?
Physical games
Ray tracing
BC with PS4 and PSVR

Unknowns:

RAM amount (16GB GDDR6 + 4GB likely)
100GB-128GB Blu-ray Disc
GPU Teraflops 10-14
USB ports or USBC?
Any additional Ps BC? Parents indicate maybe more than just PS4.
Launch window
Price

Is it possible this confirms a HDD with some flash storage or does it mean it has to be like a 1TB SSD ?

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
Missed the news for the SSD. Like Cerny said, this is not just faster loading time, it is faster loading everything. Remember all of first games on this gen had terrible pop in. Funny that he confirmed the limited speed of web slinging (some complained about it) in Spidey was because of HDD.

Did we really expected HDD anyway ? I mean it would not make much sense in 2020 for a state of the art console right.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Either Cerny is bullshitting for PR or Sony has invented SSD's faster than m.2 and somehow solved their pricing per GB all without anyone else in the industry noticing. I'm liking what I was hearing up to that point but I'd really love to see an SSD faster than current market and come in under $500USD.

Backwards compatibility is nice but Microsoft are still winning that war with 360 support so hopefully Sony can figure out PS3 support. 8 cores is interesting, considering the Ryzen 3700/3800 will be well and above that. I know PC parts are always better due to flexible price point and constant gen upgrading but I really hope it's a good combo.

Also, will this mean devs actually target 1080p/60fps? Or are we going to get a repeat of people wanting eye candy over functioning smoothness?

SSD and not shit CPU are pretty much all I really gave a shit about. Those shit Jaguar CPU's really hold all these consoles back.

These comments are hilarious because they ignore the timeline of console development and the developer ease console manafacturers want to create. You can't just want a better CPU/GPU combo because there was none at the time. What we got was fine and devs when targeting 1080p easily got 60fps without overdoing stylistic choices.

Last edited:

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Sony, the masters of giving us blue balls.
s-l640.jpg

rebelcrusader

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I call bull on the better than any solution on pc

So they are saying they have something better than nvme with direct pci'e lanes - okay