• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Cerny is the same person who said PS4 is a super charged PC, which got beaten by a 750 Ti in it's early days, it's just a standard NVME.
My assumption is an NVME also - difference here is you're designing an entire system around knowing the exact storage device going into it. It's not the same as a PC which can have endless configurations, they can really fine tune their system to take full advantage of the thing. I'd be very very surprised if it's something completely custom / new.

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018
I can't be the only one who isn't impressed by just PS4 back compat? I mean, wasn't that to be expected anyway? I was hoping they'd at least match Microsoft and go all the way back to 6th gen. Maybe they'll announce it at a later date though I guess.

blackmass

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin - Germany
84361115.jpg
Oh yeah, that one got me.

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
I expected it to be 449. It may go to 499. But thats the max i think they can go.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
So with the technology currently available and information provided in the article, how powerful is the PS5 as compared to the PS4 and PS4 Pro in terms of DBZ power levels?

PS4 SSG Goku
Pro SSGSS Goku
PS5 Ultra Instinct Goku

Edit: dbz?

PS4 Second Grade Super Saiyan
PS4 Pro Full power Super Saiyan
PS5 SSJ2

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
Well, backwards compatibility with ps4 is decent. Wonder if they'll be able to figure out ps1/2/3 too.

Fluffhead14

Oct 27, 2017
so for someone that doesn't understand all the tech stuff, is it going to be possible to only buy one "version" of a game that will just play better with a patch on ps5?

specifically wondering about games like death stranding or (maybe.. hopefully?) cyberpunk 2077. i would assume they'd want you to double dip but it makes sense to me that they'd just be able to have a patch to upgrade it to ps5. i guess my question is: is there any reason they couldn't just offer a patch to upgrade games?

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome about PS4 BC. If we can get PS3 and/or before in there as well....oh boy, I'll probably buy two just as a thank you to Sony lol.

Nov 14, 2017
Wasn't expecting full use of SSD (I was thinking maybe hybrid), and thought PSVR 1 wouldn't be supported for some reason, glad it's happening and that the loyal PSVR users will get their share.

rudds

Oct 25, 2017
Are they going to be forced to separate the CPU and GPU back into separate packages since they're going with relatively cutting edge parts (certainly way newer than what the PS4 had)? That could have major ramifications for the size/heat/noise of the box.

Then again, you'd reintroduce bottlenecks between CPU, GPU and RAM that you eliminated by putting both chips and the memory controller on the same die, right?

Oct 28, 2017
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLEASE MAKE THE CONTROLLER HAVE AN OPTIONAL SPLIT DESIGN MOTION CONTROL AS STANDARD. DO NOT FORCE ME TO BUY A SEPARATE CONTROLLER SPECIALLY FOR VR!

THANK YOU!

Jan 21, 2019
You gotta wonder how much of this may actually be true. No way they'll have a whole TB of this new exotic SSD, probably as a small cache along a 2TB HDD, but who knows...

You must be trolling, no NVMe SSD I have on PC will load up a triple A game like Spider Man in less than a second.

Because no engine is built around fully utilizing an SSD. But if the streaming engine knows about SSD speeds, it can work with that. I bet you that the Spiderman game has some new code to it.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't wait for the reveal. I guess if BC works with everything then a 500 bucks price point won't be a problem. I can just trade in my Pro for it.

Martl

Oct 30, 2017
Austria
This shows how sporadic Sony is lately with their marketing strategy. It's almost like Nintendo. You don't know what they're gonna show off but it's gonna be magical. Also, it's very rare to see Sony undercut Microsoft in revealing their next-gen plans.

We need a drive-by shooting gif. Shawn driving, Shu on the passenger seat and Mark Cerny shooting info bullets from the backseat.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
If they're willing to take a small hit on it at the beginning, it would be. But my money is on $449.

No way in hell are they going to do another $599 console

I'm not talking about 599, but 499$ is absolutely possible and Sony will still take a loss, not huge if they price PS5 at 399$.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Most exciting news is that your VR headset will work.

Just give us new controllers. Please.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I can't be the only one who isn't impressed by just PS4 back compat? I mean, wasn't that to be expected anyway? I was hoping they'd at least match Microsoft and go all the way back to 6th gen. Maybe they'll announce it at a later date though I guess.

I mean, maybe it won't have that but we know that there's a lot they haven't said yet. I expect PS1 and maybe PS2 being there, or maybe they'll save those features to roll them out once the console is stablished.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
So with the technology currently available and information provided in the article, how powerful is the PS5 as compared to the PS4 and PS4 Pro in terms of DBZ power levels?

If it's 14 Tflops (rumoured, not confirmed), then compare that to PS4's 1.8 Tflops and Pro's 4.2 Tflops.

Google Stadia is 10.7 Tflops.

RAM is 3 times more than PS4, with an extra 4GB for the OS (rumoured).

The SSD makes load times negligible.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
  1. I'm a third party small developer from EU,for the last 8 months i've been helping a well known company in a AAA game development that is set to release in 2020 as a lunch game for PS5.

2. Some infos that i'd like to share that are 99% correct(i say 99% because small incremental hardware change can occur till 2020,although specs are set in stone).

3. -PS5 official info from Sony somewhere around next E3(Sony will not be participating on E3),i'd say Q2 2019 small reveal
  4. -PS5 release March 2020 or November 2020,not yet finalized
  5. -backward compatible
  6. -physical games & ps store
  7. -ps plus & ps plus premium ( premium-beta early access,create private servers,
  8. -specs CPU 7nm ryzen 8 core 16 threads,unknown speed
  9. GPU 7nm Navi arhitecture around 14TF,its gonna be powerful and power efficient,Sony working with Amd for Navi,some sort of Ray Tracing but will not focus on that,more focus with VR and 4k,much better bandwith overall
  10. 24GB Gddr6 + 4gb ddr4 for os,we have 32 gb dev kits
  11. -2tb hdd some sort of nand flash
  12. -8k upscaling
  13. -PSVR2 in 2020 also,reveal with ps5,big resolution boost probably 2560x1440,120hz,220 field of view,eye tracking,wireless,battery life 4-5 hours,headphones integrated,less motion sickenss,no breaker box,much less cable management,much more focus on VR for aaa games,price around 250$
  14. -dualshock 5,some sort of camera inside for VR,more analog precision for fps games,something similiar to steam analog trackpad
  15. -price 499$,100$ loss per console at a beginning
https://pastebin.com/PY9vaTsR/

Ugh, barf at the idea of PS+ Premium

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
My assumption is an NVME also - difference here is you're designing an entire system around knowing the exact storage device going into it. It's not the same as a PC which can have endless configurations, they can really fine tune their system to take full advantage of the thing. I'd be very very surprised if it's something completely custom / new.
I can't see it doing 1 second when games start using around 10 gigs of Vram, the large vram pool is why they are likely using an SSD, you can see in games like FFXV Windows Edition you need an SSD for it's max settings or it's stutter heaven.