• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jul 20, 2018
I hope so.

Them confirming it only for PS4 leads me to believe that BC for former PS consoles isn't a sure thing since there's no real point only confirming that if the others are also expected to be included.

They may not be certain what they can deliver on that front, or they may be saving it for a future megaton announcement. Or it could just be PS4 only. I don't know, but they didn't say PS4 only, so I wouldn't act like they did.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
There's a big difference between saying vague specs in an article, and announcing details + actually showing what it will look like in a conference though.

This makes it harder for PS users to jump ship. Also with the initiative whatever MS trots out will be compared with these vague specs.

Wolfgunblood

Dec 1, 2017
The Land
After seeing Minecraft with ray tracing, I'm a believer. That is next gen. Looks like PS5 is all in on that, which is exactly what I was hoping for and expecting.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Is it possible the new consoles will come out Spring 2020? It seems so early to be talking about them if they come out Fall 2020.

I think things are on an earlier schedule this time around for a couple of reasons.

1) The streaming service announcements
2) Sony stock took a hammering recently in part because of concerns about PS4 reaching the end of its lifecycle and investor uncertainty about what was planned for the next generation.

I feel like this news is indirectly aimed at investors as much as anyone else, as this announcement will give them the opportunity to be more open about plans when it comes to their earnings call later in the month.

I don't think it necessarily indicates any earlier release plans, though, I think Fall 2020 is probably still the most likely window. Just a different information environment now.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Sounds amazing but I can't see it retailing at less than $599 without them taking a substantial loss on the console and even then I can't see them dropping it below $499.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds great. That SSD sounds unreal.

Backwards Compat is huge. BuT nO oNe UsEs iT.

Nonsense, that's gonna be a big selling point

Estarossa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am so glad they're focusing on reducing the loading times, since that's the reason why I've been begging for next gen to arrive.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
rHT3lsd.gif

Navi will be a beast (hopefully)

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Wow this is gonna be sick!!

Also does revealing this impact their competitors or is it that these systems are so ahead into development that this info can't really hurt them by revealing some key points?

Just curious.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Man if you think about it. If raytracing will be supported by every console next gen, devs will start to rely on it more and more which may lead to a GPU cut off point when it comes to PC versions. Devs may choose to base their whole lightning system around a raytraced approach. A pc version may need a very recent GPU to run these games at a playable frame rate. Either that or devs implement a quick and dirty RT-less version for lower spec pcs which will probably not look great.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm expecting £500.

I'm a tad confused how cross-gen titles will fair if the console itself is backwards compatible.

I'm guessing the backwards compat will just run with no enhancements, and will run exactly like a PS4 Pro.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
I have a hard time parsing that quote about backwards compatibility. You could read it as the writer stating a fact, but also as an assumption. Being based on the PS4 architecture does not necessarily mean full backwards compatibility.

Captain_Raoul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck streaming and shit. Just give me another high end console that plays the games how they need to be played.

Damn really exited!

Oct 31, 2017
Cerny announced these things at the Playstation Meeting in 2013:
  • Ability to stream games easily
  • Ability to record video/share screenshots with the tap of a button
  • Ability to SharePlay -- being able to remotely control another's game to help them or demo the game
  • Ability to Suspend/Resume
All of these happened and were awesome. With him at the helm of the PS5, I'm very excited.

Gvon

Oct 25, 2017
"For you it was a spec dump and the PS5 announcement, but for Sony, it was just a Tuesday!"

I really wasn't expecting anything like this to be announced.

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
So it sounds like an sshd situation, but the SSD is big enough or memory buses are in church a way that it has a massive effect on game streaming, loading etc. Sounds ideal, big size of HDD, speed of the ssd

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
Just read the article and it all sounds perfect for PS5 as the first small details!
Great power jump, BC with PS4 at least, big CPU jump, PSVR 1 compatible; all sounds ace.

Ok my next gen hype can finally begin properly now :D

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
This makes it harder for PS users to jump ship. Also with the initiative whatever MS trots out will be compared with these vague specs.
How does it make harder to jump ship? The PS3 had PS2 BC at first too.

edit:
Microsoft's going to talk about their next-gen plans in two months. This is purposely to get out ahead of that and be part of the conversation.
Sure, but again, this article isn't saying anything big or impressive enough to kill people's interest in the competition in the end.
Details are vague enough (be it hardware, software, or in terms of strategy like the price) that it'll just go back to the usual speculation threads in a week's time.