• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

burnsy

Banned
May 31, 2018
Damn well they ticked the boxes on my wishlist. Not only do we get SSD but it's some superior next gen SSD. Even better.

I expected ray tracing and AMD but mostly surprised that backwards compatibility. I suppose PS4 launch had pretty slow roll out of good games. Backwards compatibility will help fill in the time.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
What a strange info drop.
Really happy about the CPU and the fact that the GPU is Navi. Hopefully the GPU has a lot of horse power and MS matches the specs.
Wonder what the RAM situation is.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
This is pretty much a wish list of features that would be laughed at in any speculation topic. If Sony can pull this off at $500 then holy shit.

ZoSo006

Oct 25, 2017
Winnipeg
Oh wow we're actually going to get a decent cpu and a gpu with ray tracing capabilities?

This is some exciting shit to wake up to today!

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
Folks over at Wired must be feeling pretty happy with themselves

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
For those who know specs, with that kind of CPU and GPU + SSD, it's likely a $399 or a $499 console ?

Or maybe it's NOT enough to say a price guessing ?

The existence of PSN, PSnow, and a greater share of game purchases being digital going forward (which is MUCH more profitable for Sony) means that the typical calculus of how much a console costs isn't applicable.

Sony can afford to take much greater losses on the hardware than they could with the PS1, 2, 3, or 4.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
very nice! My first instinct of 2020 was right! BAHUMBUG those who convinced me of a 2019 launch. PSHHHHHHH

I want to hear more about this 3D audio. Sony's own take or will they use one of the current formats like DTS X, Auro 3d , Atmos ... ?

Oct 27, 2017
Ssd and Bc are really good. Considering the power of this new console Ps3 BC could also be possible through emulation looking at what rpcs3 can do even with just 4 cores Cpus and without being optimized yet.
Let's not even talk about Ps2 and Ps1 BC . They could make Ps5 the ultimate Ps console. I really hope they are adding ps3,ps2 and ps1 too, but Ps4 BC alone is enough to make me interested in buying it day one. Will start saving money for that 500€ Ps5. Can't see it being lower priced with those specs.

Shock32

Oct 27, 2017
That would be amazing to hook up my brand new PS5 and be able to connect my current PSVR headset. This news is great that I'll be buying more VR games and can start buying more digital with confidence knowing they will carry over.

This is sucha great move by Sony to announce this consumers will be remain in your ecosystem and be less likely to jump ship.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Just to confirm my ability to read English at a semi competent level, nothing was discussed about the PS5 controller, correct?

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Based in part of Ps4 architecture means its not a full step forward?
No, it is. That just means it's x86 architecture. So it's like making a generational leap when building a PC

I just get very skeptical when i read speccs like that and tryna retail it at $400, i am going like ... hmmm nah. It just feels like this shit will be more expensive to manufacture than even the 2006 PS3.

Not a chance. The cell / blu-ray drive were mad expensive in 2006.

These days even NVMe SSDs are cheap. Blu-ray drives are cheap. The only real expensive thing would be the APU, and they get mad discounts from AMD on that.

Kingpin722

Oct 28, 2017
I mean i was gonna buy a PS5 regardless. But this article just told me to start saving up right now.

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
Out of fucking nowhere.

And that Spiderman demo makes me wonder just what sort of improvements will be offered for back compat PS4 titles.

Deleted member 2171

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That rumored 8K upscale confirmed?

"While the next-gen console will support 8K graphics, TVs that deliver it are few and far between, so we're using a 4K TV"

Sounds more like a reason to slap "8K support!" on the boxes than anything else. Unless they're absolutely bringing the beef, 8K native is gonna be extremely rare.