• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
This seems to check a lot of boxes, but that price could be questionable.

All that and an SSD at $399 seems like wishful thinking.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
All of this is pretty expected, but the SSD comments are interesting. I have a 970 Evo Plus SSD that gets 3,700mbps.... dunno how they expect to beat that... or why. I'm dubious.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
Tbh I believe this is the first time they have talked about a new console prior to the announcement. I'm even surprised they gave any data at all.

It is surprising, specially if you consider Nintendo launches their consoles without disclosing the specs and they people go nuts trying to figure out what's inside exactly.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
This is a really random time to drop something like this, right? Sounds like everything is good so far (PS4 BC is great to hear), but boy is this going to be pricey, especially here in Australia. Since I skipped the 4 Pro, BC is definitely making me consider jumping in at launch though.

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
It's surprising that they are talking so candidly about next gen right now... Did Google get this ball rolling? Seems premature. I'm thinking Spring 2020 now.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
2020? so TLOU2, Death stranding, and ghost of tsushima are pretty guaranteed to be launch titles?
Remember 2013 when the PS4 launched? Sony also published in that year for the PS3 (lazy Wikipedia copy-paste):
I removed a few I didn't consider important. Many of these games were a big deal and also remained exclusives to the PS3.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, the next PS is sounding bonkers good. I'm probably going to get it at launch like the PS4 if it keeps as interesting as it seems to be.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
New Virtual Reality platform strongly hinted at but also supports current PSVR

Soo happy about that :D

tenor.gif

Krakle

Oct 27, 2017
Well this is a surprise. i didn't understand much of the article but I'm hoping for backwards compatibility beyond the PS4.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
AMD made this tech called StoreMI which lets you treat an HDD and SSD as one drive and the software will put the files you access a lot on the SSD and the rest on the HDD under the hood. I'm guessing both PS5 and the next XBox will be doing something similar where the game you're actively playing is loaded onto the SSD while the dozen games you swear you'll get around to eventually will be rotting away on the HDD.

No point to this if the system supports external hard drives honestly.

SSD only, if you need a gigantic amount of slower storage for your library attach an external HDD or SSD as a backup.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
""""""""""""""""""""""""Ray tracing"""""""""""""""""""""""""

The GTX 1060, Vega 56, Titan RTX, and my GTX 470 all could do ray tracing. The extent to their performance is the biggest question. Not a big fan of how coy all that answering is in the wired piece. We learn so little there and allows for too much speculative room.
It's to hype people up without saying much. It's the classic vidcon comic:

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
Ray Tracing
Faster SSD tech than any PC can run currently
8K support
etc

$1000 console confirmed? Theres is NO way they can retail hardware like this for $400-500 in a small console box at that.

Deleted member 3196

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Colour me interested. Backwards compatibility definitely catches my eye, as I'm growing a little weary of PS4 but have been hanging onto it for the last two big games I want (The Last of Us Part II and Death Stranding). I may just sell up now and play those games when PS5 rolls around.

I'm also happy that PSVR will be supported going forward. I just hope they have new controllers for it.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
It's just NVME, why is Cerny acting like he has access to top secret storage

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
There's also the speed with which a world can be rendered, and thus the speed with which a character can move through that world. Cerny runs a similar two-console demonstration, this time with the camera moving up one of Midtown's avenues. On the original PS4, the camera moves at about the speed Spidey hits while web-slinging. "No matter how powered up you get as Spider-Man, you can never go any faster than this," Cerny says, "because that's simply how fast we can get the data off the hard drive." On the next-gen console, the camera speeds uptown like it's mounted to a fighter jet. Periodically, Cerny pauses the action to prove that the surrounding environment remains perfectly crisp.

I'm gonna need one of these mountable in Horizon 2:

Q1Woek0.jpg

Mezati99

Banned
Feb 6, 2019
Planet Earth
Remember 2013 when the PS4 launched? Sony also published in that year for the PS3 (lazy Wikipedia copy-paste):
I removed a few I didn't consider important. Many of these games were a big deal and also remained exclusives to the PS3.

All those already had release dates before the PS4 was announced/revealed IRC

TrashHeap64

Dec 7, 2017
Austin, TX
There was this recent Cryengine tech demo that was doing raytracing on an AMD Vega. Really the only demo so far that's been shown using any sort of AMD as far as I know.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
If they have good enough raytracing support, it's very good that raytracing will be prolific in games soon enough.

Hopefully they have the power left over to have raytraced audio be widespread too.

Sony seems to be doing all the things they absolutely needed to do for PS5 to not be an utter failure. Without raytracing there would be insignificant visual differentiation between PS5 and PS4 games.

Also the PSVR1 support is expected but good to confirm. I wonder what the PSVR2 tracking system will be like, because they can't rely on visible spectrum and cameras again. I'm thinking internal camera tracking ala Quest.

All of this is pretty expected, but the SSD comments are interesting. I have a 970 Evo Plus SSD that gets 3,700mbps.... dunno how they expect to beat that... or why. I'm dubious.

Very doubtful they manage to outperform even a midrange PC SSD. After all the article also states that raytracing is limited to $10,000 workstations (no mention of RTX or anything else). It's a paid advertising article and it packs some lies...

Majora's Mask

Oct 26, 2017
The PS5 will support PS4 games in hardware, the others would need software emulation along the lines of what Microsoft are doing. It could be something they announce as a software feature of the new console reveal, not a hardware deep dive.

Ah, yes. You're right about that.

What a weird reveal it's this. On a Tuesday morning of all days and talking about this info like it's nothing. Makes me wonder what kind of reveal we will have for the PS5.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cool on BC.

Raytracing stuff, yeah right now that's just buzzwords. Particularly the stuff they're talking about sound design; good games have been doing that for a better while, even Overwatch stood out in this regard. I'm not letting myself get excited about that, the same way 8GB GDDR5 was being bragged about.