• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
Yeah. And it's clear that Microsoft would be willing to support Nintendo platforms provided that it's profitable as well. So basically, the only platform that is excluded is PlayStation and it's ironically caused by Sony themselves. Had Sony not went on exclusivity spree, I doubt Microsoft would resort to buying an entire publisher.

PS fans keep saying that timed exclusives and a publisher buyout isn't comparable. Yes, it's not comparable, but one prompted the other. Sony engaged so much in the former, that the latter action became appealing to Microsoft. It's basically Sony punching Microsoft in the face until the straw finally broke the camel's back, then Microsoft decided to ram Sony with their truck. Sure, a punch isn't as severe as a hit and run. But everyone can see that the former is what ultimately built up to the latter. Sony never needed to be so aggressive because their first-party offerings are hitting it out of the park. They did something unnecessary and forced their competition into taking action.

The lesson is that just because a hit and run is way worse morally + legally speaking doesn't mean you're justified in punching people in the first place. Just don't do that and you wouldn't have had a problem. PlayStation fans supporting the exclusivity deals and then having the pikachu faced reaction to Microsoft taking action in response is just flabbergasting to see. What did they expect?

This really sounds like high school rhetoric. Microsoft had been in talks for 2 years with Bethesda before they acquired them. 2 years ago. You know... around the time when they began acquiring all the other studios they have now? To think MS is retaliating because of something Sony seems to be doing this year that pissed off the xbox fans(Spiderman Avengers). Do you seem to forget MS themselves dabbled in timed exclusivity at the beginning of this gen and during the 360 era? No doubt they would be continuing the timed DLC for COD if they were the market leaders...

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder why Microsoft didn't publish the game on Switch themselves (like they do Minecraft) if they own the IP?

They must have a distribution deal with the devs that they can self release/publish outside of the Xbox platform themself despite MS owning the IP I guess?

That's actually a real good question.

lcd

Jan 15, 2020
Has anyone gotten a Jim Ryan response on this yet?

Also I keep seeing a lot of interesting takes on YouTube from Easy Allies or Allana Pearce to Ryan McCaffery saying they think ES6 will come to PS5 at some point because Microsoft will need to recoup this $7.5 billion somehow (implying PC and Xbox and GamePass revenue wouldn't be enough).

I think spending $7.5 billion to put something on your competitor's box is certainly an interesting gambit, though I concede MS is trying to ascend from the console business to the services business, but then that begs the question: why have your own console in the first place?

Should we expect Phil Spenser to be more transparent on their exclusivity plans with these games?

The generation hasn't begun yet and people are making their plans. I imagine people on the fence would like to know definitively whether or not their favorite Bethesda property is going to come to PlayStation or not.

Much like many of us would like to know if FFXVI will come to Xbox or not.

If Phil doesn't explicitly say, I kind of think that's just as shitty as Sony's murky exclusivity clauses.

In the least hyperbolic way possible, the other console is not the competitor, the consumer is. I'm of the mind that Microsoft have likely already thought past Sony, and that this is a Github capture-the-ecosystem level move. In today's monopolistic age what is going to stop them, really? The 7.5 billion is a building block in a strategy to buy enough to force a change to make you rent and not buy. Microsoft will likely keep going until they can capture enough of the market that it is impossible for any reasonable gamer not to - I mean if they had WB, they'd pretty much already have been there. I think Disney and Fox likely set the precedent. Gamepass is their Disney Plus and Steam, Sony, etc are still operating on relatively niche legacy television models by comparison.

Why would Microsoft not want the whole pie when games are now bigger then movies and they are uniquely positioned to take it, like the walled ecosystems of Apple and Google? They felt they were entitled to it before when they tried to capture everything in the windows store. If they can normalise games being within their walled rental garden and own software store, it's a small step to realising their plans to capture software sales like and finally getting a cut of all sales. Everything as a service!

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
This really sounds like high school rhetoric. Microsoft had been in talks for 2 years with Bethesda before they acquired them. 2 years ago. You know... around the time when they began acquiring all the other studios they have now? To think MS is retaliating because of something Sony seems to be doing this year that pissed off the xbox fans(Spiderman Avengers). Do you seem to forget MS themselves dabbled in timed exclusivity at the beginning of this gen and during the 360 era? No doubt they would be continuing the timed DLC for COD if they were the market leaders...

It'll be 2030 and people will still be referencing the 360/PS3 era.

Deleted member 61469

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2019

They didn't just do Spiderman though.

They got Deathloop, Ghostwire, FF16 and were in talks to get Starfield as well.

As far as I am concerned, fuck Sony. Ms should give them a taste of their own medicine.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
1. Bethesda was not meeting expectations financially and some of their best studios were performing terribly in sales. If you're against consolidation, this prevented that. Zenimax was making desperate moves. Closing studios was very possibly next if the moneyhat route didn't work.

2. This industry is expanding due to significant investment and multiple business models. Most Zenimax single player games couldn't exist any longer in the old paradigm. There will be more Indie devs creating games with AAA graphics this gen than we've had in the past 2 gens combined. I say all that to conclude...the industry isn't shrinking and this instance of consolidation isn't a slippery slope. Conversely, many middle class studios went out of business the previous years with far less panic.

3. This is what Microsoft has to do to compete. They weren't moving the needle without a big move. The alternative is less platforms and business models. That results in less investment and a smaller industry.

4. Xbox division went from 6 to 23 studios in 2 years, have a larger 2nd party budget and are shopping for Game Pass Indies. Theres no way their publishing arm was equipped to handle that expansion. When they say they're keeping the publishing arm in tact, why assume its a lie when facts suggest that it may be the right business move? They're in aggressive growth mode. Its bad business to risk their 7.5 billion investment with immediate penny pinching of employees.

Deleted member 38706

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 19, 2018

Uh, that seems to be a problem of your interpretation (regarding the remark of my post being high school rhetoric). What makes you think it's a response to what Sony is doing THIS year? I've never specified that it's response to recent happenings. Rather, I'm saying that it's a response to Sony's LONG TERM strategy and the market conditions. Microsoft doesn't have as much Japanese support as Sony, which was an obvious reason why they opted for many exclusivity deals back in the 360 days. The fact that Sony enjoyed many more privileges than Microsoft AND still went hard on exclusives is what prompted Microsoft to acquire not just Bethesda but all the other studios. This is something that has been happening for many generations (unless you want to deny that Sony have better third-party relations than any platform holder for ALL FOUR GENS for some reason). Microsoft wanted to compete and even the playing field. Microsoft is coming from a more disadvantaged position which is why they do these deals. Even then, they don't dabble in them as much as Sony NOR enjoy better third-party relations.

I'm talking about the overall situation. If it sounds like high school rhetoric to you, then that's probably because you're looking at it with that mindset. I'm talking business, not Microsoft making decisions just because they're petty.

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
So people are actually rationalizing that Bethesda's games are also coming to PS5?

tenor.gif

They are honoring Ghost Wire and Deathloop and that's a wrap.
Pretty much.
If in fact TES6 and Fallout make it to PS5 it'll be either a few years later or never.

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Even though I'm a Sony-gamer I know this was a good way for Bethesda Zenimax to survive.
They have been in crisis for long.
But let's hope the money goes into producing better games and let's hope they scale down on all big PR (games coming on sale days after launch, Bethesda day etc.) and act more wisely and concentrate on polishing their games instead.
But with all this money they don't need to perhaps.

Bennibop

Oct 30, 2017
I think this buyout is the worst, I think people are missing the bigger issue with it. Do you really want Microsoft to dominate the industry, I would rather it be balanced and competitive. Also this sets up an arms race and I am not talking about Sony (although it might force their arm,) the last thing we need is Google, Facebook and apple acquiring all the big publisher and developers.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
I think this buyout is the worst, I think people are missing the bigger issue with it. Do you really want Microsoft to dominate the industry, I would rather it be balanced and competitive. Also this sets up an arms race and I am not talking about Sony (although it might force their arm,) the last thing we need is Google, Facebook and apple acquiring all the big publisher and developers.

Arguably the industry was becoming a little unbalanced as it was. Xbox was losing serious traction.

Gamepass is a nice competitive counter to Sony charging $70 for new titles.

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017
After Sony's stance on cross-play and them buying timed exclusivity and exclusive content in multiplat games this news got a chuckle out of me.

If this means the industry will go back to three platforms with distinctive line-ups and franchises it could get interesting. I always liked MS hardware but there was never any software on it that I cared about and couldn't get elsewhere. Xbox might finally become an option for people like me who appreciate good hardware but ultimately only care about games. Hardware alone is nothing, as nice as it might be.

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017
MS are still pretty far behind though, I think they'll need another acquisition of this size and at least another generation of goodwill before they can conceivably take the crown from Sony

Oct 26, 2017
That's a huge purchase, fucking hell. Buying a publisher outright big oof. They've released some ace games this gen though, Dishonored 2, Evil Within 2 - hope that continues.

PinballRJ

Oct 25, 2017
Just realized Microsoft did buy a Japanese studio, never would have guessed it would be Tango Gameworks lol

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
That's a big one!

Personally, i only like Wolfenstein of their list of games. A lot though.
Edit: oh and Deathloop looks AMAZING.

Last edited:

alphacat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

It will make Xbox more competitive next gen. I don't think it was balanced this gen with Sony dominating over half of the video game market? If Microsoft learned anything from Sony and Nintendo is that exclusives push consoles, and that is exactly what they went for. It sucks for Nintendo/PS5 fans of Bethesda games, but I guess more competition between the big 3 is a good thing? To be honest, I don't think we're moving towards consolidation or other giant gaming companies being bought out just yet. It looks like the Bethesda/Microsoft deal was in the works for a while and a right time and right place type of thing.

Last edited:

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Phil, Seb's journey isn't over. Please realize this.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. And it's clear that Microsoft would be willing to support Nintendo platforms provided that it's profitable as well. So basically, the only platform that is excluded is PlayStation and it's ironically caused by Sony themselves. Had Sony not went on exclusivity spree, I doubt Microsoft would resort to buying an entire publisher.
This is by far the silliest take.

Microsoft didn't drop $7.5 billion because "Sony pushed them to do it." These companies aren't run by schoolchildren, ffs.

supkid

Oct 29, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
Why on Earth do people think that Nintendo or Sony would want Gamepass on their systems? It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

For starters I'm not even sure how games would scale on a Nintendo Switch. Secondly, you really think they are going to give up their margins for selling third party games? Don't Sony get 30% of every sale on PSN? Nintendo must be in the same ballpark. Like how does the money even get distributed? It's pure fantasy.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
This is by far the silliest take.

Microsoft didn't drop $7.5 billion because "Sony pushed them to do it." These companies aren't run by schoolchildren, ffs.

Some companies can be pitiful though.

See years of Windows Phone getting cock blocked by big apps like Google's and Snapchat among many others. Why it failed (not the only reason but the most important I'd say).

We are seeing the same pitiful approach with regards to iOS and Xcloud/Stadia. They may not be schoolchildren but they can act like one.

M4xim1l1ano

Oct 29, 2017
Santiago, Stockholm, Vienna

From my perspective, it seems to make it more like a "standard". Microsoft is not locking you to one particular line of hardware. If you have an Android phone, you can/will be able to play Xbox games there (and perhaps on Iphone as well). If your flavour is PC, you will be able to play Xbox games there and of course.. Xbox hardware..

So from a consumer perspective, it is far more friendly that I will be able to play new games on the hardware I already might own instead of being force to buy one in order to enjoy certain games.

Perhaps the "balance and competitiveness" should come from games and not hardware?

But yeah, this is my perspective.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
They didn't just do Spiderman though.

They got Deathloop, Ghostwire, FF16 and were in talks to get Starfield as well.

As far as I am concerned, fuck Sony. Ms should give them a taste of their own medicine.

This aquisition is bad for the whole industry, not just Sony. Get some persective.

Fredo

Oct 30, 2017
I feel a bit that Microsoft didn't create those franchises and it's a shame if they are walled off in the future.

They might not be though. Microsoft will have full control of marketing, extra content and release timelines. It's not a bad proposition to not pay $70 for Doom 3 when you can get it earlier and with more content by buying a relatively cheap subscription.

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
User Banned (3 days): Console wars
I think MS knew that Digital Foundry would show that XBSX would be totally owned by PS5 when it comes to loading times on open-world games AND the texture pop-in which has mostly been a Bethesda games problem exclusively.
Bethesda games on PS5 with that super-SSD would maybe always perform bether than on SBSX.

Rei Toei

Nov 8, 2017
If this brings Obsidian back to Fallout, it's worth it to me :). The only IP from Zenimax Media I'm interested in are Fallout and Arkane's output if it's immersive stuff. Deathloop's interesting but remains to be seen, Dishonored/Prey is what interests me. Clever move from Microsoft I guess, lack of interesting 1st party stuff is what kept me from buying the Xbox One. For now 1st party titles is still what keeps me more interested in the PS5, but strong titles from Arkane, Bethesda and Obsidian could have buy an Xbox again (o

Pabz

Oct 25, 2017
These games are most definitely gonna be exclusive. PS5 to start then buy a Series X when Starfield hits god knows when

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think MS knew that Digital Foundry would show that XBSX would be totally owned by PS5 when it comes to loading times on open-world games AND the texture pop-in which has mostly been a Bethesda games problem exclusively.
Bethesda games on PS5 with that super-SSD would maybe always perform bether than on SBSX.
That's wishful thinking rofl.

Old Luke

Jul 20, 2018
Predictions:

Fallout 5 (New Vegas 2) from Obsidian and Bethesda can focus on ES6 after Starfield.

Also, Skyrim on PS5, because yes.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This news is still blowing my mind and making me doubt my PS5 preorder, something I didn't think was possible a week ago.
While Arkane has the most critical acclaim right now, I think the studio that has the most potential and can be a real surprise hit for the xbox family is MachineGames. I'm currently playing Wolfenstein II and their cinematic style is top tier. But I think they should drop the Wolfenstein IP and work on something new, or maybe take the reigns to an xbox franchise (Halo or Gears?)

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020

Sony have been pulling off timed exclusivity deals all this gen, this doesn't have to be a reaction to any recent ones.

And yes, Microsoft have done it in the past, and may well still be doing it now if it wasn't for how badly things went with Tomb Raider.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Tinfoil hat on my buddy

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
This is the most amazing one so far

Raigor

May 14, 2020

KEKW