• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JonesXlv

Jun 7, 2018
It's not impossible.

Technically, neither is my monitor randomly disappearing only to reappear a second later. More seriously, That level of acquisition would be very difficult for Sony to pull off with their cash reserves, and frankly, I am not sure why TTwo would want this, as they've generally been doing quite well from a market cap perspective over the last 3-4 years.

Osiris397

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not really sure this (Zenimax acquisition) is as huge a benefit for Xbox as some people might think initially. Obviously a lot of money changed hands, but Bethesda has done a lot to wreck their own brand already this generation, especially with Fallout, and MS/Xbox doesn't have a history of improving game studio brands after acquiring them, quite the opposite actually.

With the exception of Elder Scrolls and Doom I've been thinking for a while that based on Bethesda's sales from the back half of this generation that Bethesda could shudder all but those two of their franchises and most gamers would either easily move on or simply wouldn't care.

Astrates

Sep 13, 2020
Interesting. I haven't really read about this before. Care to expand?

If memory serves the seemed to quite frequently engage smaller developers for projects with incredibly difficult milestones and no support, just piling on the pressure. At the point the smaller developers struggled to meet deadlines they'd essentially start legal actions or withholding payments, then essentially forcing them to accept a takeover bid from them to stay afloat.

Human Head is an example

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Including studios that are no longer with said platforms, or that have been closed, sold etc, Sony has acquired a total of 11 studios in its lifetime, whilst Microsoft has acquired 26, 15 of which were just in the last 2 years.

I just thought it was a pretty staggering statistic that makes for interesting discussion. It not only highlights Microsoft's intense financial and strategic commitment to gaming, but it does make me wonder if the studio arms race is pinned to change completely going forward, with more and more studios likely to be consolidated from here on out.

Sony/PlayStation acquisitions.
  1. Studio Liverpool, 1993
  2. Bend, 2000
  3. Naughty Dog, 2001
  4. Incognito, 2002
  5. Guerilla Games, 2005
  6. Zipper Interactive, 2006
  7. BigBig, 2007
  8. Evolution, 2007
  9. Media Molecule, 2010
  10. Sucker Punch, 2011
  11. Insomniac, 2019
Microsoft/Xbox acquisitions.
  1. Access Software, 1999
  2. Fasa Interactive, 1999
  3. Bungie, 2000
  4. Digital Anvil, 2000
  5. Ensemble Studios, 2001
  6. Rare, 2002
  7. LionHead Studios, 2006
  8. Bigpark Studios, 2009
  9. Twisted Pixel Games, 2011
  10. Press Play, 2012
  11. Mojang, 2014
  12. Compulsion Games, 2018
  13. InXile, 2018
  14. Ninja Theory, 2018
  15. Undead Labs, 2018
  16. Obsidian, 2018
  17. Playground Games, 2018
  18. Double Fine, 2019
  19. Bethesda Softworks, 2020
  20. Bethesda Game Studios, 2020
  21. ZeniMax Online, 2020
  22. ID Software, 2020
  23. Roundhouse Studios, 2020
  24. Arkane, 2020
  25. Tango Gameworks, 2020
  26. Machine Games, 2020

xaosslug

Oct 27, 2017
I think for existing games you're right. I just think any new games they'll evaluate it on the IP itself.

Call me crazy but I don't think starfield or the next elder scrolls is targeting ps4/xbox one

if you think those games are missing the PS5 y'all have truly lost it. xD This is like the Minecraft purchase, basically. Even tho MS owns it... the studios will remain 3rd party and the games will continue to release on literally anywhere/everywhere possible to get as much $$ as they can get.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
Well it's definitely not as easy as you make it seem. Almost every single person who has either a Playstation or Xbox only has one of them. Folks with both of these consoles like PS4 and XB1 are an absolute minority, and I can definitely understand why.

99/100 aren't going to buy both because of the obvious similarities. They are heavily invested in a certain ecosystem with digital libraries, BC, PS+, Xbox Live Gold, Game Pass and peripherals. Jumping from one console is expensive and cumbersome whatever the case, and even if money isn't necessarily an issue, most still don't want to do it out of preference, and this is the case even at Era based on a poll in the thread about next-gen plans after the acquisition. The poll still heavily leans to PS5, just like a week ago. Then there's PC, which just isn't an option for most console gamers for multiple reasons.

Then we find ourselves in a situation where a third-party publishers acquisition this big leads to a case where an overwhelming majority of Bethesda games' console players are just locked out of the sequels, because they still want to buy a PS5. The acquisition doesn't save any studios or make the games better per se, as they were successful already. It just makes a clear and established consumer base way smaller for long running franchises. It's just very, very silly to outright say that people should buy Xbox then. It doesn't solve the problem. Most people aren't going to buy a whole console for a couple of games. This then can lead to an arms race in a sense, where Sony will feel forced to make a big acquisition too, which just isn't a good thing for the industry at all.

It is that easy. If you want to play X game and it is on Y system, then you get Y system. If multiple systems have the games you want, and you can afford multiple systems, then get multiple systems. If you can't afford multiple systems, you decide which one you want most. Who owns what IP or who bought which publisher does not matter beyond where are the games I want to play and what can I afford.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
First, why are you emotionally invested in the dealings of a corporation? Second, exclusives have always been and will always be a part of the industry. Bethesda games used to be PC exclusive, so was Arkanes work, and id softwares. Now they are seemingly exclusive to the MS ecosystem. It is not some massive swing in the gaming industry, it is just another incentive to get consumers to get their product. This is what every company does.

Like I said. I don't want to support this industry if we are moving toward a future of four or five macro-publishers controlling everything. I don't like corporate consolidation and I don't want to feed it.

I'd rather just get out now rather than wasting money on hardware I don't want just because it has two or three games I kinda care about. And I mean that about both the PS5 and the X-Series. Neither of these consoles are worth it and buying up publishers to mean LESS GAMES for everyone doesn't make them MORE attractive to me.

Ensoul

Oct 27, 2017
I said in another thread there's no way in hell Microsoft is releasing games to Sony. Fallout elder scrolls will be on Xbox only. I had an Xbox one and the Sony exclusives were better in my opinion.

Microsoft didn't spend that much money just released games on their tickets competitor.

You want to play fallout or elder scrolls then buy and xbox.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Technically, neither is my monitor randomly disappearing only to reappear a second later. More seriously, That level of acquisition would be very difficult for Sony to pull off with their cash reserves, and frankly, I am not sure why TTwo would want this, as they've generally been doing quite well from a market cap perspective over the last 3-4 years.
Purchases like this aren't generally made with "cash reserves."

And this isn't nearly as improbable as you make it out to be.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
The fact Xcloud is free with gamepass is insanity to me.

i don't even have to worry about scalpers stealing 3080 I'll just use Xcloud if my Pc can't run these next gen games.

PS5 Switch Gamepass is gonna be the way.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I'm not really sure this (Zenimax acquisition) is as huge a benefit for Xbox as some people might think initially. Obviously a lot of money changed hands, but Bethesda has done a lot to wreck their own brand already this generation, especially with Fallout, and MS/Xbox doesn't have a history of improving game studio brands after acquiring them, quite the opposite actually.

With the exception of Elder Scrolls and Doom I've been thinking for a while that based on Bethesda's sales from the back half of this generation that Bethesda could shudder all but those two of their franchises and most gamers would either easily move on or simply wouldn't care.
Some of these takes are just wild.

Deleted member 61469

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2019
I'd hope all companies would instead of buying out companies, expand their studios. Think about how many games Microsoft could fund with 7.5 billion dollars.

I think for existing games you're right. I just think any new games they'll evaluate it on the IP itself.

They can throw 90 trillion dollars at the wall, it would still not matter

They needed more studios. Now they got them.

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
That new blue controller
giphy.gif

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
This isn't a both sides debate: locking an entire publisher or genre exclusively to one platform is worse than temporary exclusivity or limited DLC exclusivity. There is no equivocation here - one lets both sides play a game eventually while the other says only one side can EVER play a game.
This is a weird take. Sony has the bunch of timed exclusives. This is a full acquisition to work with the studios as part of their whole team and organization. It's not some exclusivity contract.

baconcow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What's happening? (Context, since the original Tweet is gone: Parris @vicious696 seemed to suggest that there was further news in their inbox).

Owzers

Oct 26, 2017
The contrast between this thread any any other "exclusivities" threads is giving me tonal whiplash
exclusivity is bad if it's a game or an item, dlc. But if it's for a publisher and their entire catalog wowwwwwwww amazing.

But it's probably just different people having different opinions.

CJohn

Oct 30, 2017
Guess I am not playing Elder Scrolls 6 or Starfield. Hopefully Sony buys Ubisoft or something ridiculous like that.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
Earlier today, Microsoft announced the $7.5 Billion merger with Zenimax Media, the parent company of Bethesda Softworks and its studios. What's interesting is that despite the new Xbox ownership, Microsoft didn't mention anything about Bethesda being part of Xbox Game Studios, the company's in-house software publisher. Instead, Bethesda is looking to be treated as a semi-autonomous publisher that can still release games on other platforms. The best thing I can compare this to is how Sony treated Psygnosis during the PS One days, where it still functioned independently and wasn't part of Sony Computer Entertainment.

Microsoft looks to be taking the same hands-off approach with Bethesda.

Deleted member 29857

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
MS isn't going to withhold TES6 or Starfield from PlayStation. Maybe they make them wait, but those games will release on as many systems as possible. You can bet on that.

If the shoe was on the other foot, and Sony made this acquisition, then for sure those games would be locked to PlayStation. But MS has shown, repeatedly, that they have different goals in mind.
You don't spend 7.5 billion for timed exclusivity.

SkoomaBlade

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
So if this deal has been in the works for two years, I wonder if that's a potential reason we've not seen hide nor hair of Starfield and ESVI in a couple years?

Did they not want to reveal any info when they didn't know what platforms they'd be restricted to?
I doubt it. They clearly had no issues signing limited time exclusivity for Deathloop on PS5 while talk were supposedly going on.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
it is, MS has a history trying to establish monopolies. Why do you think they want game pass on every device? Why do you think they give it away at such a low price and lose money? Why do they buy studios all the time and now a publisher? It's not simply to sell more consoles or beat Sony.

If they wanted a monopoly wouldn't it be better to just hostile take over Nintendo and Sony? Why do they want Gamepass on every device? Idk...probably the same reason EVERY sub service wants to be on every device. Why do they give it away at a low price? If they wanted a monopoly...wouldn't it be easier to just offer it for free? Why do they buy studios for their sub service? IDK...content, maybe?

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
The draw of Game Pass is the value, not necessarily exclusives. The fact that you don't have to pay $70 for those titles is reason enough to choose Game Pass over purchasing it on any platform. There's no reason for them to also miss out on the money from the huge install base on PS5. It's the same school of thought as to why they offer games on Steam
A third party title releasing day 1 on Gamepass is not the same as an exclusive title releasing on the service. They want you to subscribe to Gamepass. They can't get you subscribed to Gamepass if you only have a PS5.

They're literally releasing a budget $299 console and now have a streaming service to pull people in.

That's also ignoring that these are massive titles that take years to come out. Elder Scrolls 6 will release over a decade after Skyrim. Letting you pay $70 to play the only Elder Scrolls game that will be releasing this decade isn't what they'll do unless you're already on their platform.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
You don't think the fact this is the single-largest purchase of popular IP in the history of video games yields some discussion about monopolies? Anti-trust concerns?

There's a legitimate reason to use that term in this discussion. No need to hand-wave because it makes Game Pass better.

Microsoft is third in a 3 way race in the console market, and there are many much larger publishers out there (not to mention hundreds of independent studios). On the 0 to full-on monopoly scale, this deal hardly rates.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
If Sony wants to get into that kind of a fight with Microsoft, it's probably not going to end well for them.
It won't end well for us, that's for damn sure.
Take Two is publicly traded though; highest holder has about 10% ownership... I think it's pretty hard to "buy" a company like that or take over a controlling stake isn't it?
You make an offer to the board, shareholders vote.

If the board supports the deal it can be relatively easy. If not, that's a hostile takeover and a lot more complicated.

EdgeXL

Oct 27, 2017
California
You dont miss Sony exclusives as a gamer.

Put down the kool-aid. I play video games just about every fucking day and I haven't turned the PS4 on since Spider-Man. Before that I only averaged about 1 or 2 games on PS4 per year.

I do agree that a new God of War would be a major system seller. Just please stop assuming that all gamers are part of a huge mind and latched on to Sony's tit

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
It does make sense if their end goal is to get people on gamepass. They'll make plenty of money from Xbox+PC+Android, possibly switch. Sony is their only direct competitor, they're not going to feed them their first party content. I can see these games coming to playstation if they allow some form of gamepass on their console.

If Microsoft wants to get people on Gamepass but still make money from Bethesda games all they'll do is release them 'exclusively' on Xbox/PC then silently drop them on PlayStation years later.

The assumption amongst PlayStation owners who are 'on the fence' is that those games are full exclusive, until they drop on PlayStation like Cuphead did.

I don't see Gamepass coming to PlayStation, if you're Sony would you want your consumers taking up their finite time playing games from your competitor whilst seeing none of the revenue from it? The only way Gamepass would end up on PlayStation would be if Microsoft paid for it, but at the moment the market for GP subs is far from saturated even on the Xbox/PC platform, wouldn't really make sense tbh.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This is a weird take. Sony has the bunch of timed exclusives. This is a full acquisition to work with the studios as part of their whole team and organization. It's not some exclusivity contract.

Yes, you're right. I'm saying that buying an entire company to ensure other people cannot play their games is worse than signing a contract with a company so that certain people have to wait a little bit longer to play a game they will eventually have access to.

Both concepts suck, but one is unequivocally worse than the other.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

they can provide a ton of content for game pass. that's what microsoft is after.