• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Doran

Jun 9, 2018
I mean, I don't think people understand the sheer scale difference between Sony and Microsoft / Google / Amazon / Apple. Game Pass is their Netflix, and they're buying a giant studio to make sure that their streaming service has the shows (games) they need. I honestly think MS' long term plan is to get Game Pass onto Playstations.

I could buy into that, Microsoft planning on becoming the biggest producer / provider of video game based digital content vs trying to win a console war.

BarcaTheGreat

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's salt. Soooo much salt.
I mean I am a PS guy since PS3 days and I never have or never will own a Xbox console (as of series x at least) but even I can see how much fucken value Xbox is providing now days, even before today's acquisition. Fuck even if one is a fanboy for playstation, such great competition is amazing for the PS players. Without a competent XBOX brand, you can't even imagine how badly Sony would've been squeezing us for dollars and cents. So ya, salt is completely unreasonable even for a fanboy. Granted fewer games from those studios for Sony consoles as time goes on but should get Sony to do something extra now for their brand.

Jul 20, 2020
When was the last time you heard someone complain there are too many RPGs?

If anything, Xbox is about to be be to WRPGs what Sony is to third-person cinematic games.
Less complaining about more RPGs and just wondering if the lack of competition due to all the studios being under the same umbrella may affect the product.

Oct 25, 2017
I can't even begin to believe the SALT in this thread. Holy shit. Sony has been on a moneyhatting spree since Destiny and if this was in reverse, Sony would be praised. Literally outright praised.
I guess you missed all the "anti-consumer" talk the last 6m-1y. Or ignored it. Still, as bad as those moves were, this is something completely different and with far larger implications.

BuckRogers

Apr 5, 2018
It's like folks can't see five feet away from their heads. The implications of a publisher buyfest for EITHER side are staggering, and that's not even considering Google and Facebook ALSO getting involved.

Microsoft literally blew the bloody doors off and people can't see the blood gushing out of the open wound. The sharks are coming.

I think the sharks were coming anyway. Every form of media is consolidating, unfortunately.

I don't like this move, but I think these kind of moves are inevitable, unfortunately. I think this is more likely MS reading the tea leaves and seeing that this is coming, and they might as well get out in front of it for once.

jmood88

Oct 28, 2017
of rented games and a catalogue that is in parts constantly changing.
It's shaping up to become a fine enough service, but personally I see more value in owning my software.
You can buy the games, and they even give a discount. You aren't forced to choose between keeping it while it's on the service, or owning it.

Myself

Nov 4, 2017
This is fantastic in the sense it means those games will come to GamePass day and date but I really hope they won't be exclusives. I'm getting an XSX and not a PS5 but I still think it'd be shit if the games didn't go to other platforms.

You gotta think there'd be a revolt from gamers if it wasn't on Sony's machines.....

JDHarbs

Oct 28, 2017
Considering how important game pass is to MS going forward, I look at this situation similar to say Netflix producing multiple cyberpunk series. For fans of those types of series, it just means they're going to sub to Netflix to get all of those series instead of having to choose between purchasing a copy of one or the other.

These studios aren't really competing against each other for sales as much as they're working together to sell a service. Anyone interested in western RPGs are looking into game pass right now and that's exactly what MS wants.

immsun

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
It's getting pretty difficult to justify purchasing a $69.00 PS5 title over Gamepass in terms of straight up Value.

Like, how can Sony justify the value of it's software catalog compared to Microsoft now and in the near future from the perspective of a consumer.
Hold on bro.

If Sony releases full blown reveal of god of war tomo morning and announces it as a march 2021 then no one will care about 70$. Ps5 will be latched up like hot cakes.

You dont miss Sony exclusives as a gamer.

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
Honestly, the setup evokes how excellent the Original Xbox and Xbox 360 were in pushing WRPGs - Morrowind, Oblivion, Kotor + Kotor 2, Jade Empire, Fable + Fable 2, Mass Effect + Mass Effect 2 are all titles that many gamers cite as some of their favorite experiences on Xbox.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Pretty good overall. It allows Bethesda Game Studios more time to polish, Obsidian and InXile more room to experiment and more.

Deleted member 50232

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2018
The console warring in this thread is pathetic. These corporations are not your friends, for fuck's sake. "Phil" is not your friend. This acquisition is unequivocally a terrible thing for consumers.

When people complained a few years ago that MS didn't have enough first-party games, I really didn't think their solution would be to literally buy a bunch of big third-party studios and make their games exclusive to Xbox, locking out a bunch of their old players. When I was younger I remember thinking that one day, aside from select first-party stuff, console exclusives would mostly be a thing of the past. How naive.

You say it's terrible for consumers but it's great news for game pass members who will now get the Bethesda library added to their catalogue.

It also shows Microsoft's dedication to remain in this industry for a long time to come. Increased competition is also a good thing for consumers.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
Less complaining about more RPGs and just wondering if the lack of competition due to all the studios being under the same umbrella may affect the product.

It may have the opposite affect and they end up pushing each other to new heights.

I feel like inXile will keep doing the isometric thing, maybe they can collab for Obsidian for a new Pillars. Have inXile build the game and Obsidian do the writing.

I think Avowed will be it's entirely own thing for Obsidian. I feel like it'll be Skyrim like but maybe more of a focus on story and combat while the Elder Scrolls will keep focus on exploration and stuff.

Maybe Obsidian and Bethesda will just collab on a new Fallout.

There is overlap but I feel like the overlap could actually benefit all the ips.

InExile is rumored to have gotten a big budget for a very ambitious project. They also just moved into a big building and are expected to grow.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You can buy the games, and they even give a discount. You aren't forced to choose between keeping it while it's on the service, or owning it.

I never said you can't. I said I prefer to buy (please keep the difference between you and I in mind)
So thank you for reminding me that I can obviously still buy games, which I already do despite game pass being 3€/month for me for the longest time now.

tomsawing

Jul 27, 2020
You're taking this too personally. The developers themselves like having MS behind them. And by all reports make the games they want to make and work autonomously.
I have a gaming PC. This in no way affects my ability to play these games. It's objectively bad for one company to buy up all of their competitors. Microsoft is not doing anything positive here. They're just spending billions buying up successful multi-platform game companies because the ones they've already built can't manage to make consistently good games. We'll see how good their games are when they come out, but from a market perspective it would be of much greater value to us as players if Microsoft had spent $8 billion on developing their own games rather than just to lock away The Elder Scrolls from Sony.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
A DAY BEFORE pre-orders go live... this is all part of the master plan.
"After rigorous number crunching and pre-order analysis, we've determined the optimal amount of server backup needed for the rush of Xbox pre-orders tomorrow. Phew. That's that. Two days until the chaos. Time for a much needed drink."
"Microsoft just bought Zenimax."
"...fuck my life."

SkoomaBlade

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
I see this as a good thing. Some of the best RPG studios around are now under one umbrella, sharing resources and bouncing ideas off of each other.

Slightly off topic, but I still find it odd that gamers and games media have been pushing this narrative of there being some sort of rivalry between Obsidian and Bethesda Game Studios. It seems to frame almost every single discussion about the two whenever anything tangibly related about them cross.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So gamepass is included with a nextgen console purchase? How many months is that for?
no, gamepass is seperate, unless you're getting that "All Access" plan, then its for 2 years (and note that is for Gamepass Ultimate which is gamepass/xbox live and some other features like EA Access and some other perks).

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
Business as usual for Nintendo, whatever they can get multiplat, they still will .

Sony will for the short term still get all the multiplats they would've expected. Anything that multiplatform work has started on will finish as multiplatform.

In the medium term, smaller multiplats will go exclusive to Xbox/PC the heavy hitters will go timed exclusive (1-2 years) and maybe full exclusive in some cases.

Microsoft will not just completely block the catalogue from Playstation, it doesn't make financial sense to block out 2/3rds of console gamers permanently.

Microsoft in 2022-2023 will have an insane lineup for Gamepass.

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
But guys, Sony paid for an exclusive character in Avengers remember? Remember how much outrage there was about Sony having a single character in a mediocre game that Xbox gamers couldn't access? Remember how Sony were being painted as literally Satan for this?

Or the dozens upon dozens of other times Sony went on a moneyhatting spree and walled the games behind their PlayStation "Advantage" garden. Come on dude.

g-m1n1

Oct 27, 2017
Luxembourg
I wonder if in 10 years we're going to see a Microsoft purchase Sony Computer Entertainment news. Thus ending the console war... was funny I can also see Apple buying Sony since they can't enter into the movie production business and have a very important IP's that could be for Apple's benefit.
Sony fits better with Apple: Movies, Anime (+Spider-Man) for AppleTV+, Music (biggest music major), high-tech presence in general (tv, audio, medical field), photo sensors.... would also give them access to a hardcore gaming audience.

Sony was valued at less than 15 billion 12 years ago... Even at 100 billion it would still make sense imo.
But don't know if it would be good for us... Apple has great products, but the prices are high too...

WildGoose

Oct 27, 2017
You say it's terrible for consumers but it's great news for game pass members who will now get the Bethesda library added to their catalogue.

It also shows Microsoft's dedication to remain in this industry for a long time to come. Increase competition is also a good thing for consumers.

I like to think of these things in terms of how they will affect all gamers, on all systems, not just "game pass members". I said that I think console warring is pathetic, and I meant it.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I pretty much entirely reject the idea that these studios are in a worse position because instead of competing with each other they're now able to work together and complement each other.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Ok? They WILL continue making and releasing games on the platforms that are available.

Microsoft is not going to put their future Bethesda games on the PS5. They're going to honor current contractual obligations and then that'll be it.

If you think you're getting ESVI or FO5 on PS5 you've got a rude awakening coming in four or five years.

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
Microsoft didn't do anything that hasn't always been an option for years. The difference is that there wasn't a financial model that made sense to make a purchase like this until the subscription model came about. Google, Facebook and Amazon might be looking at purchases like this one but they need a reliable business model to make it work and none of those three have that at the moment.
This man knows what's up.