• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
All those "the console wars are over!" articles and threads become more and more hilarious as next gen draws closer and closer.

Trevelyon

Oct 30, 2017
You joking right ? Even with this deal, nothing much will change in the short run. They are most likely to come last again in the upcoming next generation when it come to sales number and brand recognition.

yes, the short run it might not be as impactful. But who's to say they won't window shop EA or Take-Two when they're having their next bad PR cycle and just cash-wall off Sony from the market.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
I'm never going to celebrate moves that lockout the majority of gamers from entire major studios.

This isn't some "struggling developer" purchase.

Sony or Nintendo responding would be even worse. I don't want to see the industry go in this direction.

If Sony or Nintendo started taking PC seriously and releasing their titles there, then I'd be excited about them investing in publishers. But until then, I'd rather Pubs sign deals with the platform holder that cares about where I prefer to play, not where they WANT me to play.

JS3DX

Feb 15, 2018
This is quite the move by Microsoft: Not only they're locking a lot of AAA exclusives for X/S (one of the main flaws of Xbox) and adding a lot of value to the service their pushing the strongest (GamePass), but also keeping the spotlight for a third week in a row in this pre-launch war with Sony.

I have a PS4 right now, but MS is making a really good case in their favor this time.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Geez. Every bethesda game at launch on game pass is really good and they will be on xbox and pc... even though I think this isnt exactly a good move for the industry I guess I will selfishly benefit from it...

Hero_Select

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What power move by Microsoft.

Having TES and Fallout come out exclusively on Xbox consoles sure makes gamepass that more appealing.

Nov 1, 2017
The best thing about this is that no one can ever trot out the tired "Xbox has no games lolz!" thing ever again. Good riddance to that. I guess Microsoft must have gotten fed up with Sony and their timed exclusive shenanigans so they were like fuck it, break out the chequebook, lets do a big shop. What will be interesting to see is other than honouring the previous exclusivity deals what will go multiplatform? Microsoft are somewhat strange in what they like to "share" if you know what i mean. Like, Minecraft is still all over Playstation platforms and they're even supporting Playstation VR, meanwhile Cuphead even came out of PS4 and Ori found a home on Switch.

From a pure financial point of view i'm curious to see if they will make the next Fallout or Elder Scrolls multiplatform to rake in the cash, or make it exclusive. Honestly in an ideal world exclusivity would just fuck all the way off, forever but that's never going to happen, is it?

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
Good. Very good news. For all the haters, you know who you are, that dunk on Microsoft not having exclusives. Well you got what you wanted.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
If Sony or Nintendo started taking PC seriously and releasing their titles there, then I'd be excited about them investing in publishers. But until then, I'd rather Pubs sign deals with the platform holder that cares about where I prefer to play, not where they WANT me to play.
I don't want the deals at all, I guess that's where we differ.

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Eic_0BlU8AIIv8f

Jeez.......

Becareful who you call ugly in high school eh?
Awesome. Competition is a good thing.

Deleted member 76797

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
People really don't understand the full ramifications of acquisitions. Paying for Timed/Full Exclusive games/Content is one thing. But this is a totally different ball game and on top of that when it comes to acquisition there will be cultural issues. MS today says they will leave them alone, but for how long it totally depends. There will be some form of evaluation of redundancy to reduce costs or drop certain projects. On top of possibly a different layer of management now.

Its not all Roses and Sunshine. Can it work out sure. But its not great in the long term.

MS never shut down Rare after they released flop after flop for over 10 years until they had success with Sea Of Thieves. I wouldn't worry about anyone's job. Also look at the office space they just funded for Inxile.

www.gamereactor.eu

Check out the new HQ for inXile Entertainment

The studio's swanky new pad even has a giant vault in its meeting room. What secrets could be lurking inside?

They are taking care of their people so far and have shown tremendous patience.

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
Yeep, another reason to get either Xbox Series S or Seried x; possibly tthe former. I never had an Xbox in my life, and this may be my first Xbox ever cause Microsoft is building such a good eco-system that looks to be essential for gaming.
Yeah, I see your situation happening moreso than people abandoning PlayStation.

I doubt anyone who really wants a PS won't get one cause of this, but I'm also thinking this does make them get an Xbox as well, though.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Those Deathloop and Ghostwire: Tokyo deal got weird. Same goes for the next Elder Scrolls and Avowed going to go head to head with each other.

Didn't expect that a deal this big could happen with a platform holder because the multiplatform releases are a big part of the cash flows of the 3rd party publishers. Even though MS is going more platform agnostic, this sounds like it will destroy quite a bit of value on the short term.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just expecting more buyouts, 3rd parties looking best on Xbox, plus the value of game pass, PS5 raising its prices, there's just no hype for PS5 now.

I'll pick one up in about 5 years when it has a handful of exclusives for cheap.

I wouldn't say no hype, but it's hard to disagree. The more I think about it, the game price rise (and the other messes since Wednesdays showcase) have really weakened the proposition from Sony IMO. And that was before this acquisition. It's really hard for me to look away from subbing to game pass now, as though it already wasnt before.

Right

Nov 24, 2017
Actually does this mean the entire Bethesda/Zenimax catalog is coming to XGP? Is the $1 for 3 years deal still working?

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
MS never shut down Rare after they released flop after flop for over 10 years until they had success with Sea Of Thieves. I wouldn't worry about anyone's job. Also look at the office space they just funded for Inxile.

www.gamereactor.eu

Check out the new HQ for inXile Entertainment

The studio's swanky new pad even has a giant vault in its meeting room. What secrets could be lurking inside?

They are taking care of their people so far and have shown tremendous patience.
Counterpoint look what happend with bungie. And that was about 7 years. It's going to take years to see the full impact.

SchroDingerzat

One Winged Slayer
Sep 24, 2018
If they keep it on PC, sure, because I can't stand the resolution/framerate of Divinity 2 on Switch.

tbh I want more Valve/Switch cross progression. I want to see my Switch to connect with my Steam progress and vice versa (more of what Divinity and a few others have done). Honestly that would be the best merger for me, a Nintendo/Valve that has a shared PC / Console ecosystem.

Spirited

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I'm betting a year exclusivity max, that is too much money to leave on the table
Guessing Halo will release shortly thereafter on playstation. I really do not believe that all of these games will be exclusive, but I do think most of them will. Especially the ones tthat are the most popular to get people to buy a pc or xbox. Just like spider-man isn't a timed exclusive, this won't be.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This is amazing news for Xbox and frankly was exactly what they needed. I think we can all rest assured now that both Playstation and Xbox are going to have an amazing generation!

Nov 21, 2017
Welp. This move has changed my plans. It has been a rollercoaster of a ride, but I can finally rest. When Nvidia released the RTX 30 Series, I was about to stay PC only. But I realized that I just don't have the budget for it, as I would have to also upgrade my monitor ( which doesn't support 4K ) and my processor ( which could bottleneck the potential of the card ). I pre-ordered a PS5 to be able to enjoy next-gen until I am in a more stable situation financially ( and upgrading my PC becomes viable ), but seeing that first-party games cost up to 80€ killed some of my enthusiasm. Now Microsoft is going all in with Game Pass, and suddenly the All Access option for Xbox Series X is ( by far ) the best option for me.

I will buy a PS5 one day, and I will upgrade my PC one day. But for now... Being a student and all... Xbox Series X is the way to go. Damn you, Microsoft. I never saw this coming.

Sloth Guevara

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see them making any of the old franchises exclusive.

not a fan of this capitalist consolidation but not much we can do.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019

A lot of words to say "I only care about PC". You could have just posted that GIF of Superman without his mustache saying "PC".

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
My Gamepass expires August 2021. As of this point, I intend to stay a Gamepass Ultimate subscribe for the entire generation, and this Bethesda deal really solidified that. Gamepass went from 10 million to 15 million subs in less than 6 months.

After today, I wouldn't be surprised if they added another 5 million subs in the next 6 months.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I typically play Bethesda open world RPGs on my PC to begin with.

But Starfield and Elder Scrolls VI at least should release on Steam. If it becomes Microsoft Store exclusive which is walled garden API more less that will be absolute chaos for Nexus Mods.

Either way this ultimately resulted in my secured purchase in an Xbox Series X. Bethesda Open World is my most played titles, so I am not giving it up so easily.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I guess the only way for Sony to counte this is for them to purchase a major japanese publisher like Capcom. I'd rather have them buy Konami IPs. Metal Gear, Silent Hill, Castlevania...