• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Havel

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about videogames culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in the film industry where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in the videogame industry, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is that gamers, after hearing about this, are not going to want to purchase XBox Game Pass, nor will they purchase any of Bethesda's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Microsoft has alienated an entire market with this move.

Microsoft , publicly apologize and cancel the acquisition of Zenimax Media and Bethesda, or you can kiss your business goodbye.
Still a classic.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
It seems more like Sony got outplayed here. They were planning on continuing to moneyhat for exclusives from Zenimax, then Microsoft swooped and rendered their Starfield pitch moot.
Yeah, from a corporate gamesmanship angle (which, to be clear, I don't think is exactly super healthy for their customers to concern themselves with, but whatevs) it's difficult to see how this deal leaves Microsoft with egg on their face.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
That's just adding to the problem. Buying up perfectly fine indepedent publisher to artificially lock up their games from other platforms is a terrible practice, and should just stop.

This is god awful news to Sony players, because now if they want to play Fallout or Elder Scrolls they'll have buy an Xbox, or I guess a PC. This is hundred times worse than Sony buying up timed-exclusivity, since those games will eventually come out on rival platforms. When the entire publisher and its studios are purchased, I dont see how they will ever want to release their games on multi-platforms.

I guess its pro-consumer if it only benefits their own player base.

It's bizarre to me that you're the first poster in the 101 threads about this subject that has such a measured and sensible take on this. That so many are cheerleading the purchase of independent third party publishers is frankly pretty disgusting -- and in the long term self-defeating.

My bigger concern for future Bethesda games is MS's declaration that all will be released day-one on GamePass. While it might sounds amazing for those who evangelise the service's value proposition, reading between the lines poses the question of how a service charging a $10 monthly fee (if that) will possibly be able to finance the huge multi-hundred million dollar projects that Bethesda games tend to be? Either GamePass monthly subs will need to shoot up (which is extremely unlikely) or Bethesda games scopes will reduce drastically and become seriously compromised by this move. I think people are naively believing that MS will forever dump billions into the GamePass service without ever concerning themselves with a possibility of profitability later on down the line.

Bubukill

Oct 25, 2017
Panama
Yeep, another reason to get either Xbox Series S or Seried x; possibly tthe former. I never had an Xbox in my life, and this may be my first Xbox ever cause Microsoft is building such a good eco-system that looks to be essential for gaming.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
u wot m8?

Unless all you care about are Bethesda/Zenimax games, this makes no sense at all. But I'm sure someone will be happy to get your PS5.

Or was this copy pasta

I can't tell anymore today

I'm just expecting more buyouts, 3rd parties looking best on Xbox, plus the value of game pass, PS5 raising its prices, there's just no hype for PS5 now.

I'll pick one up in about 5 years when it has a handful of exclusives for cheap.

Jords

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2018
New Zealand
tenor.gif

Oct 28, 2017

I don't know how much the rest of you know about videogames culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in the film industry where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in the videogame industry, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is that gamers, after hearing about this, are not going to want to purchase XBox Game Pass, nor will they purchase any of Bethesda's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Microsoft has alienated an entire market with this move.

Microsoft , publicly apologize and cancel the acquisition of Zenimax Media and Bethesda, or you can kiss your business goodbye.
You know you have high-quality pasta when people keep falling for it!

Aardvarken

Dec 28, 2019
Not taking a shot at you but more asking for an explanation of how this hurts consumers. Having Bethesda added to Game Pass is a definite win in the short-term. In the long run I see MS bolstering that service with more content trying to get as many people subscribed as possible which only bolsters what the consumer gets for their money.
You're right, short term is fine. But I feel that the effect big acquisitions like these will have on the entire industry will hurt the consumer. Kind of like what's happening in streaming right now? Having to be in multiple ecosystems to enjoy exclusive content.
English isn't my native language so I'm not sure if I'm getting my point across properly :)

imapioneer

Oct 27, 2017

Maybe next decade!

Gedi

Oct 29, 2017
Saw this and thought "Holy Fuck". As it happens I genuinely don't think I've bought a Zenimax/Bethesda title or any of the associated franchises since... Morrowind on 360 and Quake III: Revolution on PS2. Planning on buying Deathloop though. Still this is absolutely huge news.

Will presumably lead to a fair amount of eventual redundancies in the publishing/marketing etc side, with the added downside that now surely Sony feel the need to retaliate with an acquisition of their own (not of this scale obviously) and more and more consolidation.

Still, holy fuck! What a move.

JonesXlv

Jun 7, 2018
Capcom could be pretty huge. DMC, Resident Evil and Street Fighter are all extremely well known franchises, and are all near enough the de-facto games in their genre.

The only one of those franchises that carries the weight of an Elder Scrolls, Doom, Fallout would be RE. SF and DMC are far narrower in terms of sales.

KodiakGTS

Jun 4, 2018
People losing their jobs and control of the medium being in the hands of fewer and fewer people is awful, yes.

I'm normally on board with your posts Matt, and I agree with the second half, but honestly how many of the recent Xbox acquisitions have led to people losing their jobs? Let's not be hyperbolic here.

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
It's bizarre to me that you're the first poster in the 101 threads about this subject that has such a measured and sensible take on this. That so many are cheerleading the purchase of independent third party publishers is frankly pretty disgusting -- and in the long term self-defeating.

My bigger concern for future Bethesda games is MS's declaration that all will be released day-one on GamePass. While it might sounds amazing for those who evangelise the service's value proposition, reading between the lines poses the question of how a service charging a $10 monthly fee (if that) will possibly be able to finance the huge multi-hundred million dollar projects that Bethesda games tend to be? Either GamePass monthly subs will need to shoot up (which is extremely unlikely) or Bethesda games scopes will reduce drastically and become seriously compromised by this move. I think people are naively believing that MS will forever dump billions into the GamePass service without ever concerning themselves with a possibility of profitability later on down the line.
Why wouldn't game pass subs shoot up ? It went from 10 to 15 million in a few months , no ?
And 10 million was already very impressive .
More content will mean more subscribers will mean more money made .

If it takes off on mobile , it could be huge .

Hale-XF11

Dec 8, 2017
My favorite dev (Arkane) going to MS is the real game changer for me personally. Fuck.

Then again, Rare is on that list and they haven't put out anything I care about since the N64 days.

It always comes back to the games though. If Beth provides the games I want, then I'll go where they go.

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People losing their jobs and control of the medium being in the hands of fewer and fewer people is awful, yes.

If Xbox plans to expand gaming to 2 billion people through cloud streaming, 1) don't you agree that's amazing for the industry, 2) don't you think a platform for 2 billion gamers requires more first party studios than a platform for 100 million gamers?

And if so, isn't this fine if there aren't job losses? In Phil's interview on CNBC, they ask him if they will make cuts, and Phil responded that they have no plans to. They want to support Zenimax to be its best version.

Obviously we'll see if this is the case in the coming months. But seeing how Xbox has handled previous acquisitions, and knowing their plans for the future, I think it's a bit hyperbolic to blanket claim that this is awful.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I honestly don't care about any of those devs besides Arkane. I hope they at least stay multiplatform. But probably not.

iori9999

Dec 8, 2017
Yeep, another reason to get either Xbox Series S or Seried x; possibly tthe former. I never had an Xbox in my life, and this may be my first Xbox ever cause Microsoft is building such a good eco-system that looks to be essential for gaming.
Pipe down there. Bethesda has been not doing so hot lately. Fallout and Elder Scrolls are the big IPs here along with maybe Doom

gifyku

Aug 17, 2020
I have no interest in the Series S and if I'm going to drop the money to buy the X, I might as well spend a couple hundred more and make the investment on an okay rig.

You are not going to get Series X level of performance spending a couple of hundred dollars more on a PC. Source: Me who has a gaming PC.

Seriously, the resistance on these forums to just getting an Xbox is something to behold

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Wolfenstein: New Order = 79 MC
The Evil Within = 75 MC
Wolfenstein: Old Blood = 76 MC
Fallout: Shelter = 71 MC
Fallout 4 = 87 MC
Doom = 85 MC
DIshonered 2 = 88 MC
Prey = 79 MC
Evil Within 2 = 76 MC
Wolfenstein 2 = 87 MC
Fallout 76 = 53 MC
Rage 2 = 67 MC
Wolfenstein: Young Blood = 63 MC
Doom Eternal = 87 MC

Just to point out that recently Bethesda games have been primarily reviews based on their PC versions, With PS4 being #2 in review count.

Fallout 76 = 52 MC (-1)
Rage 2 = 73 MC (+6)
Wolfenstein: Young Blood = 69 MC (+6)
Doom Eternal = 88 MC (+1)

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Monopolys arent necessary for there to be a huge problem. The gaming space is already an oligopoly and these can be (and often are) just as bad as a monopoly, and this deal just tightens the grip further. Again, do some reading on the subject, its fascinating stuff and theres really no arguing against it.
How does this change anything in terms of choice for the consumer though? You still have PC, mobile, Sony, Nintendo and MS. If we see that space tighten then I'll start to agree with you but there is plenty of choice on the consumer side. Hell MS is offering plenty of places for you to engage with their content and a variety of ways for you to pay for it whether that be a subscription or buying the game outright on the PC in different stores or on the console.

Nazgoth

May 17, 2018
Belgium
I have some mixed feelings about this.
It's great that Bethesda's game catalogue is coming to Game Pass. Which greatly increases the value of the service.
But on the other hand. Now that platform holders seemingly can buy publishers, where is this going to end? Will Sony also buy a publisher in response?

josiah

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honest Opinion: If Bethesda games become Xbox Exclusives (Windows 10 does not count) I will buy an Xbox (More expensive unit). If not, I will spend the additional money on a high-end PC and PS5.

I am currently at a loss. I do not see this changing the purchasing behavior for the Josiah gamer.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
I'm never going to celebrate moves that lockout the majority of gamers from entire major studios.

This isn't some "struggling developer" purchase.

Sony or Nintendo responding would be even worse. I don't want to see the industry go in this direction.

I don't like exclusives. I wish there was ONE "system" and all the game developers just developed for that one.

However, this doesn't "lock" anyone out. Just buy the hardware that has the games you want. I've been doing that for 30+ years now (even when I was young my dad would buy Atari/Nintendo/Sega hardware across those generations starting in the 80s).

The one major drawback I see, is people that can't afford multiple systems. That sucks. I buy the hardware from every maker, so this doesn't faze me access wise.

I bought a PS4 just for The Show, God of War, and the Uncharted games. Them being Sony exclusive doesn't lock anyone out.

M4xim1l1ano

Oct 29, 2017
Santiago, Stockholm, Vienna
Yikes. Microsoft got outplayed on pricing and sensing another rout, they went and asked daddy to bail them out.

But you know what? Bethesa is a company that nearly all of its IP have been waning save for Doom; Elder Scrolls gets released like once every decade and legacy issues of their engine are more ancient, so in a way their sale makes sense, this is not a thriving company, but a struggling one. I have no doubt MS will be trying to leverage those IP more now but 'more' is not necessarily the solution, extensive changes and overhauls are. And I don't think Microsoft can steward a huge publisher such as this that needed to retool so much. Microsoft learned to be 'hands off' but they need to be very hands on in this case, and that is going to prove challenging for them.

Regardless, If they had bought some limited exclusivity, I would certainly buy an Xbox to play it, but I can't support this at all. This is a desperate move from them that makes some of their previous purchases and even some of their games in development look redundant; you have to wonder about people's jobs here. I really don't think Microsoft can successfully manage all these IP/Studios, nor do they have intention to. I'm willing to bet this blows up in their face and these IP will just continually shrink in value and waste away, and years from now only a very small, leaned out version of Bethesda remains that focuses on GAAS. Sad to say, but it would be best for the industry if they end up like another Rare. Shockingly, the pro-consumer cries of yore are deafeningly silent now.

JonesXlv

Jun 7, 2018
Yeah. Debatable whether this is better or not than Playstation, but it's certainly making them more competitive in the console space

I don't think it debatable now. This firmly squared them up as having the best 1st party family.

The real game is the ecosystem - catching users into it and steering them to recurring revenue. They won't care where you play eventually, so long as they get money from you some way

You are spot on. MS has been gearing up for this for the last 2 years it seems, which is why the checkers vs chess description is apt IMO.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

I'm so glad this format has persisted after all these years.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Who is losing their jobs? They're going to continue operating as normal. Zenimax is still going to publish.
I'm normally on board with your posts Matt, and I agree with the second half, but honestly how many of the recent Xbox acquisitions have led to people losing their jobs? Let's not be hyperbolic here.
Zenimax is a major publisher with lots and lots of jobs that will be redundant as part of MS, plus the fact that not all developers and studios within Zeni and likely to fit in with MS's overall game strategy.

There will be job losses, to think otherwise is naive.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If Xbox plans to expand gaming to 2 billion people through cloud streaming, 1) don't you agree that's amazing for the industry, 2) don't you think a platform for 2 billion gamers requires more first party studios than a platform for 100 million gamers?

I think the idea that there are two billion people just waiting to play videogames for a large subscription fee but also those people never even considered buying a console is a flawed premise to begin with. See also: stadia.

In addition, this doesn't really get Microsoft any more titles they couldn't have had anyway, it just makes Sony get less.

Oct 28, 2017
sorta reaching, bro.

the bread-winner franchises are all 85 and up.

the next Elder Scrolls game will break the internet and sell systems.

This was a response to someone saying the majority of Bethesda games had a really great critical reception this gen. Just proving that wasn't really the case.

And sure the biggest games score good (Fallout 76 excluded), but even "smaller" games like Prey or Evil Within are on big multimillion dollar budgets.