• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Plasmid

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not to mention that in Sony's Q1 2020 earnings call, the Games and Network Services (PlayStation) division was the most profitable part of the company in their earnings call, and is forecasted to be their most profitable division of the company for FY 2020.

Isn't it really one of their only big profit makers? I thought sony took a loss on a lot of shit they make.

Also to say that Sony would buy zenimax for 1/4 their COH is ludicrous lmao

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
User Banned (3 Days) - Platform Warring
Within two years

EidE1n5XkAUoXKU
Imagine not having a PC or Xbox with GamePass this coming generation.

5Mdh.gif

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
My first reaction is extreme disappointment that I'll no longer be able to play some of my all time favourite franchises on my platform of choice.

This really seems needless to me.

"Needless" seems like a fat overreaction.
How many people have here in particular laughed about Xbox and the "lack of exclusives", especially after Halo Infinite and its many development issues, was forced into a delay; have celebrated exclusivity to Playstation while doing the opposite when MS aquires, or otherwise even argued that MS should do something like this?

I'm sure from a business perspective this is much more meaningful than just all that. For the viability of their own xCloud and Gamepass push, this is particularly huge. Same from a technologies standpoint, as well as IP. These are mostly great established studios with strong heritage. It looks like something MS needed for sure and has plans for beyond just "console wars". Even as IP for film/tv and mechandise, this sort of thing is becoming more critical.

I appreciate the disappointment though, and it's not looking like the best thing for gamers, where one entity has ownership of large amounts of content previously expected to be available more broadly. Having said that, there are so many awesome studios/pubs at the moment, there will no doubt be plenty to take on any gap in the market

Trevelyon

Oct 30, 2017
Are you kidding? A Capcom or Square acquisition by Sony would be equally as huge. Not that I'm advocating for it, but if the market is heading towards consolation then I expect Sony to make a big move or two of their own eventually.

Capcom would be huge, but Rockstar (T-T), especially in the US market is in another stratosphere.

AndyMc1888

Jul 16, 2019
Great for me as a gamepass user , hopefully people on the ground don't lose too many jobs which is the shitty reality of these situations.

although I can't help but feel this is largely a reaction (a long term one) to Xbox has no games as Sony continues to buy timed exclusives well this is the answer to this. Gamepass is going to be a no brainier next gen which is exactly what purchases of this want.

Zyae

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Mar 17, 2020
You won't need Game Pass. You will be able to buy most of these games on your PS5. Maybe not day and date (though I still think at least Doom and Elder Scrolls will be day and date because they are so big), but they will come there eventually. However, if you wanted to spend 200 bucks in a couple of years and buy a Series X on Black Friday, or stream it on your phone, or play it on you PC, Microsoft wouldn't mind that either. Either way they get the money. They don't care.

Also, have you ever considered that maybe in 20 years or so, when most stuff has gone to streaming and only Sony is still making a console for televisions, that if MS has enough must play content, Sony would be forced to put Game Pass on the PlayStation 9 or whatever? This is a long game.

they dont care about game sales they want you subbing gamepass

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
It's kinda crazy that for $25/month, you can get a Xbox Series S plus every Microsoft and Bethesda title day one for what is essentially the price of 4 fully priced games a year. And they also include EA Play for kicks.

Dec 12, 2019
Megaton news, for sure. But it will take around 3 years to see the full effects of this acquisition. The last two year from Bethesda in terms of games was rather weak - except Doom Eternal of course (personally I'm liked the first one more).

Metacritic:
Rage2 72%
Fallout 76 49%
Wolfenstein: Youngblood 68%
Doom Eternal 88%

Starfield and TES VI are still years away and nearest games (Deathloop, Ghostwire) will be locked in Sony ecosystem for at least few months. Also, we shouldn't forget about COVID impact - if it can delay games like Deathloop etc., it also means that Starfield/TES could be affected too.

Citizencope

Oct 28, 2017
This is wild!
For as much as I've gamed in the past 45 years I've read much, much more about my favorite hobby.
This is Awesome!
This will keep me busy for a long time.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
It's an ongoing circle of exclusivity exaggeration.
Side A makes something exclusive, Side B makes something else exclusive. /repeat

You as a consumer always loose. You either have to invest into multiple gaming devices or you loose out on the option to play the entire catalogue there is.
Not that hard to understand, unless you are blindly set on some kind of A is better than B mantra.
Exclusivity means: Excluding things from other systems and limiting options while doing so.
There is nothing to be gained from a consumer perspective here, other than some kind of strange justification for like a brand over another.

and ib4: It has always been that way and it's needed to sell hardware. Even if: Doesn't make it a desirable situation.

But that's a concept that ERA always has trouble understanding. The console war spirit is exquisite over here.
On the Microsoft side, I think it benefits consumers in the short-term. Access to Game Pass is cheaper than buying the games outright unless you just want one and you have access to the service across a wide variety of devices. Hell $300 for the XSS plus the Game Pass subscription at $10 a month, pays for itself over the course of seven years based on the savings of not buying the games.

Hale-XF11

Dec 8, 2017
Between this, the lack of PS5s and shitty communication from Sony, the better price for an xbox series S....

I might just think about going back to xbox next gen.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean i see Ori on Nintendo, I see Minecraft getting bed rock on PS4
That looks like the good guys to me.

Given these comments I'm not expecting more Ori type of deals:

The relationship with Nintendo is great. Doug Bowser and I, we talk often. Furakawa-san, the CEO of Nintendo, and I know each other well and we have conversations.
I will say that I think the individual IP by IP to different platforms, I can see [it] can kind of get confusing to customers over time. We've been learning, some of our development partners have really wanted to go do this, and we want to support the desires of our creative talent. Some of this have been partner lead.
I think more and more about what does a full Xbox experience mean on different platforms. Rt now, it seems like when any game comes out, there's that, "is this one going here, is this one going there." I'd rather be able to set more of an Xbox-level expectation for our fans on where things are going to go. I thought we did that with our first party when we talked about games shipping on Xbox and PC, and I got some blow-back from certain people in certain groups on that, but at least we set an expectation on that. I'd rather see us get to that point on the different pieces of hardware we're on, so I guess I'll kind of leave it there.
I definitely have a ton of respect for the role that Nintendo plays, and I love having great games on their platform. I don't really love this idea that for every one of our games, there becomes this little rumor on it "is it going to end up on the Switch or not." I feel we should set a better expectation with our fans than that.

www.nintendolife.com

Xbox's Phil Spencer Has "A Ton Of Respect" For Nintendo, But Is Over Rumours About Select Titles Coming To Switch

"I'd rather be able to set more of an Xbox-level expectation for our fans"

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
there are more gamers on pc and Xbox than just on playstation. A majority of gamers have access to Microsoft published games.
I wish people would stop quoting me while ignoring the gamers with only Sony/Nintendo consoles.

Celebrating what is "good for Microsoft", while ignoring the gaming community at large, is so weird to me.

I primarily game on PC by the way, so I don't even take a loss as far as access here.

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
So both Tango Works and Bethesda are MS owned now...

Can we have Evil Within 3??? I will buy an xbox for it

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
User Warned: Platform Waring
Yikes. Microsoft got outplayed on pricing and sensing another rout, they went and asked daddy to bail them out.

But you know what? Bethesa is a company that nearly all of its IP have been waning save for Doom; Elder Scrolls gets released like once every decade and legacy issues of their engine are more ancient, so in a way their sale makes sense, this is not a thriving company, but a struggling one. I have no doubt MS will be trying to leverage those IP more now but 'more' is not necessarily the solution, extensive changes and overhauls are. And I don't think Microsoft can steward a huge publisher such as this that needed to retool so much. Microsoft learned to be 'hands off' but they need to be very hands on in this case, and that is going to prove challenging for them.

Regardless, If they had bought some limited exclusivity, I would certainly buy an Xbox to play it, but I can't support this at all. This is a desperate move from them that makes some of their previous purchases and even some of their games in development look redundant; you have to wonder about people's jobs here. I really don't think Microsoft can successfully manage all these IP/Studios, nor do they have intention to. I'm willing to bet this blows up in their face and these IP will just continually shrink in value and waste away, and years from now only a very small, leaned out version of Bethesda remains that focuses on GAAS. Sad to say, but it would be best for the industry if they end up like another Rare. Shockingly, the pro-consumer cries of yore are deafeningly silent now.

Axon

Banned
Mar 9, 2020
Not taking a shot at you but more asking for an explanation of how this hurts consumers. Having Bethesda added to Game Pass is a definite win in the short-term. In the long run I see MS bolstering that service with more content trying to get as many people subscribed as possible which only bolsters what the consumer gets for their money.

To put it in the most simple way possible: If Microsoft buys out all the competition, Microsoft has no more competition that forces them to do consumer friendly tactics like Game Pass. If, for the sake of argument, there is no more reasonable competition to Microsoft, Microsoft can do whatever they want to the consumer and the consumer has no other place left to go.

Read up on oligopolys and monopolys and why they are so hurtful and actually regulated in alot of countries. Its very basic economics stuff that has been proven right time and time again, there really is no arguing against that stuff like this deal is bad for everyone but the company itself.

Jan 19, 2020
Bellingham
Online MP games are different, but still, same logic applies. I think I would still take you up on that bet, MS has been moving very different, I think it's all about GP subs now, this acquisition makes that much more appealing regardless of releasing on PS5 or not. Stuff like Halo/Gears/Forza was always associated with the brand, this is established IP that sell millions on PS.
Plus I would think that if Microsoft is now publishing Bethesda games that this would allow then to take a chunk of the profits for every game sold on PS5 in addition to the Game Pass money and games bought on Xbox and PC. Even if Sony doesn't sell 110 million PS5s their still going to sell well and that would be a lot of money to leave on the table after a huge acquisition like this. Perhaps I'm just in denial but I see it as a good possibility.

rrc1594

Oct 25, 2017
Concerning the warchest; It's always something I've always been thinking back to the Rare acquisition days, but what would legitimately stop Microsoft from going absolute HAM on the industry, sew up a sizeable chunk of IP, development houses, and resources. I'd imagine nabbing Japanese devs/pubs might be a difficult endevour, but everywhere else they could do quite nicely. Acquisitions like this is was always something that I thought would happen with Microsoft, but it seems like they've been pulling their punches over the years, why mess around for so long, they could've knee-capped Sony a generation ago.

in 2017 there was a huge change in how MS saw Xbox. Phil no longer had to go through 3 people just to get an okay for something. Phil is a VP now and only has to go through the CEO now for decisions.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know where this notion that people can just play them on PC comes from, but I think people need to get off their era bubble. Most gamers do not own a console + a gaming PC. Certainly not in any developing country where one is already expensive enough. In fact even here in Germany, speaking from my own experience, I don't know a single console owner who also owns a pc that's powerful enough to game on. It's either Playstation or gaming PC or the occasional Xbox.
Because peopl wpuld constantly say that they didnt need to buy and xbox since there games come out on pc

Oct 27, 2017
If there's one thing this situation has taught me, is that according to some posters it's that is OK for Sony to buy studios and have big exclusive games on their console, but not for Microsoft and XBOX.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Disney bought freakin' Star Wars for 4b.
I can't even imagine how Microsoft is going to make this work for them.
Like, it doesn't matter how much XSX or games they'll sell at this point, it won't get them back this much money
They aren't trying to sell games or Xbox consoles. All of this is being done to add value to the Game Pass service. They want to be the premier game streaming service by 2025 with tens of millions of subscribers. MS clearly sees this as a massive future market, otherwise they wouldn't invest this heavily.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
On the Microsoft side, I think it benefits consumers in the short-term. Access to Game Pass is cheaper than buying the games outright unless you just want one and you have access to the service across a wide variety of devices. Hell $300 for the XSS plus the Game Pass subscription at $10 a month, pays for itself over the course of seven years based on the savings of not buying the games.
The ludicrous savings and value are in the subscription services. But just like video streaming services...you can't get EVERYTHING.

But you sure can get a lot! Enough for me.

Joeyro

Oct 28, 2017
By that logic, Microsoft buying every publisher would be pro-consumer, which technically is true because imagine the value on that game pass babyyy.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

ShinAmano

Oct 30, 2017
Yikes. Microsoft got outplayed on pricing and sensing another rout, they went and asked daddy to bail them out.

But you know what? Bethesa is a company that nearly all of its IP have been waning save for Doom; Elder Scrolls gets released like once every decade and legacy issues of their engine are more ancient, so in a way their sale makes sense, this is not a thriving company, but a struggling one. I have no doubt MS will be trying to leverage those IP more now but 'more' is not necessarily the solution, extensive changes and overhauls are. And I don't think Microsoft can steward a huge publisher such as this that needed to retool so much. Microsoft learned to be 'hands off' but they need to be very hands on in this case, and that is going to prove challenging for them.

Regardless, If they had bought some limited exclusivity, I would certainly buy an Xbox to play it, but I can't support this at all. This is a desperate move from them that makes some of their previous purchases and even some of their games in development look redundant; you have to wonder about people's jobs here. I really don't think Microsoft can successfully manage all these IP/Studios, nor do they have intention to. I'm willing to bet this blows up in their face and these IP will just continually shrink in value and waste away, and years from now only a very small, leaned out version of Bethesda remains that focuses on GAAS. Sad to say, but it would be best for the industry if they end up like another Rare. Shockingly, the pro-consumer cries of yore are deafeningly silent now.
Yes, this all came together in the reaction to playstations 40 minute show last week -_-

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
To put it in the most simple way possible: If Microsoft buys out all the competition, Microsoft has no more competition that forces them to do consumer friendly tactics like Game Pass. If, for the sake of argument, there is no more reasonable competition to Microsoft, Microsoft can do whatever they want to the consumer and the consumer has no other place left to go.

Read up on oligopolys and monopolys and why they are so hurtful and actually regulated in alot of countries. Its very basic economics stuff that has been proven right time and time again, there really is no arguing against that stuff like this deal is bad for everyone but the company itself.
It would take a lot for there to be a monopoly in the gaming space. Three big guns with their own ecosystems plus PC and Google and Amazon. Plus all of the indie games and tools that are becoming easier to develop with meaning larger games from less people. I just don't see there being a realistic monopoly on this space anytime soon.