• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
User banned (1 week): trolling, platform wars, history of trolling
Reading the Twitter comments from salty Sony fanboys suddenly not caring about Bethesda's library is making me cackle
5Mdh.gif

baconcow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I guess, even more time exclusive and content exclusive stuff (like Spder-Man in Avengers).
But at this point it's like bringing a knife to a gun fight.

The really sad part about it: Consumers are loosing big on every front.

How is this bad for any future Microsoft console owner?

Boomchil

Nov 1, 2017
France
To be honest I'm liking the fact that constructors are buying 3rd party studios.
Last 2 gens (Nintendo apart) had way too much games in commons, and imo Xbox360/One and PS3/4 had no distinctive personalities.

I'd love a return to the the SNES/Megadrive era, where each console had lot of exclusives.

This is a fantastic move from Microsoft, now I'm waiting for Sony's answer. The next gen will be far less boring than previous ones.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
WOW, didn't expect this, this is nuts.

I'm not the biggest fan of bethesda games but to get them all on game pass is ridiculously good value.

I don't understand this forum sometimes, just mere weeks ago there was no point to getting an xbox because all games are on PC anyway, now it's a big deal that Bethesda games will be.

its still the case for a lot of us, i'm happy that i'll be able to play their games for practically free, but also feel really bad for ps only gamers who will now have to buy a new console just to play the games they want to. I quess MS trully is pro consumer.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
ERA is far from everyone. This is an enthusiast forum, so of course most people here would have multiple gaming platforms. The general consumer will only have one console.
Sounds to me we have more general consumers here in the forum than anticipated based on the reaction.

And yes. Some people might even ONLY have an Xbox too.

Fabs

Aug 22, 2019
Hopefully this frees up their previous purchases more. When you have Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Doom, Wolfenstein, as your new flagship IPs let coalition take a break from Gears. Just a massive Grab.

ArchStanton

Oct 29, 2017
Why wasn't Microsoft brought to testify a few months back again? This is exactly the kind of thing the congressional committee was looking into.

Anyone who thinks Microsoft "did time served" from the previous antitrust legislation and is exempt from any future investigation (let alone potential new legislation) is off their fanboy rocker.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit, that puts this into perspective... i thought this was a good deal for them but now I'm not so sure... Bethesda can be very very erratic
It's all about getting tons of content for Game Pass. Microsoft doesn't really care if a single title doesn't perform that well. It's all about upping the breadth and depth of the overall Game Pass package to entice people to give them that sweet, reoccurring payment.

thermopyle

Nov 8, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
This doesn't really affect me since I'll be playing Bethesda's games on PC but I am laughing at how transparent posters are regarding all the anti-consumer rhetoric thrown about the past few weeks/months lol

Quellyford

May 16, 2020
Wow, gorgeous post Theorry! Thank you for making this.

I am so convinced that Xbox is the place to be for this upcoming generation. I cannot believe they have 23 first-party devs working on games for us. Game Pass is going to be the new Netflix.

Hold on to your hats boys and girls :)

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
How are Sony meant to compete with offers like 7.5 Billion? All of Sony is supposed to be worth something like 40.

MS are going all in.

They can't. They have to continue focusing on their exclusive in-house titles and hope MS doesn't buy anymore relevant IPs. Can you imagine Playstation without staple franchises like Resident Evil and Final Fantasy? It would be much worse.

I honestly believe Sony still got the upper hand when it comes to exclusive titles.

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
What's really funny is I could swear I saw some people here talking about how Microsoft will end xbox if it falters like just yesterday

Feb 23, 2019
Xbox is hoping to reach hundreds of millions of gamers, and eventually billions of gamers, through cloud streaming. That would grow the gaming industry several times over. They are preparing for the future through these acquisitions.

they were getting these games anyways?

their prior acquisitions made a lot more sense - buy studios, inject funding, organically grow the business. Gamers win with better games

but Zenimax was already massive, already on Xbox, and wasn't hurting for cash

From a strategic standpoint why did MS feel this was a good use of 7.5 billion in cash? I realize that's not a lot of money to MS as a corporation, but for the gaming industry it's unprecedented

Acquiesc3

Oct 30, 2017
I'm gonna be PS5+PC for most of next gen so should be fine. This really makes this combo even more potent.

But yeah I think this is the biggest acquisition I've seen in the industry so far.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Lol We aren't taking about a timed exclusive. We are talking about a whole publisher being bought. Todd Howard can say they will still be multiplatform, but at the end of the day, MS is the boss and can shut that down in a heartbeat. This is a sad day for gamers because I can guarantee you this is only going to get worse.

Yep and now they're thirst party games. So you need a PC or Xbox to play em. It sucks if you're only on PlayStation, but as PC or Xbox player this is a huge win. We will see major investment in these franchises and no more half-releases on some platforms with cut features on others.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
Metal Gear? Castlevania? Silent Hill?

So it's just a gaming IP grab? I'm going to be honest, I think any Sony studio that would be handed one of those franchises would be much better off making their own franchises. I wouldn't want to miss out on the next Ghost of Tsushima or Horizon because Sucker Punch or Guerilla got assigned one of those dead franchises. Sony already has much better stuff up their sleeves.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
So does this basically mean Doom Eternal won't get a PS5 patch / release? :(

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
Disney bought freakin' Star Wars for 4b.
I can't even imagine how Microsoft is going to make this work for them.
Like, it doesn't matter how much XSX or games they'll sell at this point, it won't get them back this much money

Newbong

Oct 27, 2017
sony can't spend like microsoft on developers simply because sony have only one platform to recoup the investment whereas Microsoft has multiple entry points

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
they were getting these games anyways?

their prior acquisitions made a lot more sense - but studios, inject funding, organically grow the business.

but Zenimax was already massive, already on Xbox, and wasn't hurting for cash

From a strategic standpoint why did MS feel this was a good use of 7.5 billion in cash? I realize that's not a lot of money to MS as a corporation, but for the gaming industry it's unprecedented

They were not getting these games already for that purpose. They want to stream them, through the cloud, as part of GamePass. And if the market is that much bigger, you need way more studios as a platform holder.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Im glad Microsoft is putting up a fight. To those saying this is anti-consumer: I feel this is the exact opposite. This will make sony/nintendo have to get creative. GOOD FOR US.

MS imo hasnt really been an actual threat to the PlayStation brand in the past outside of the 360 era for a bit.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
Outside of a Take-Two acquisition, I can't see an equal counter punch Sony could get on Microsoft. What a get for them, holy shit.

Are you kidding? A Capcom or Square acquisition by Sony would be equally as huge. Not that I'm advocating for it, but if the market is heading towards consolation then I expect Sony to make a big move or two of their own eventually.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit, that puts this into perspective... i thought this was a good deal for them but now I'm not so sure... Bethesda can be very very erratic
Marvel was in a bad spot when disney bought them. No where near what they are today.

Starwars was George wanting to find the best fit so he wasnt looking for the highest payday. I think he donated most if not all the money he made from the deal

Insomniac didnt really have any ips so sony really only bought the name and the hope that the talent would stay

Quellyford

May 16, 2020
This doesn't really affect me since I'll be playing Bethesda's games on PC but I am laughing at how transparent posters are regarding all the anti-consumer rhetoric thrown about the past few weeks/months lol
Exactly, some of the same people who defended the Avengers-Spiderman exclusive PS4 deal now getting mad at this. It's too funny!

Skeff

Oct 29, 2017
Are you kidding? A Capcom or Square acquisition by Sony would be equally as huge. Not that I'm advocating for it, but if the market is heading towards consolation then I expect Sony to make a big move or two of their own eventually.

Capcom and square enix to Sony. WB to MS and we all start to lose :-/

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Will still be on PC.

Bethesda with Microsoft money is gonna be crazy good. I see it as a win.
I'm never going to celebrate moves that lockout the majority of gamers from entire major studios.

This isn't some "struggling developer" purchase.

Sony or Nintendo responding would be even worse. I don't want to see the industry go in this direction.

Aardvarken

Dec 28, 2019
So the time of industry consolidation begins. It's a shame to see so many people positive about this. This stuff won't benefit the consumer in the long run.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
Sony could buy Activision or Rockstar and I wouldn't care. Buy Square if you want to.

Only company I want left alone is Capcom.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
Because goodwill matters. It's a good way of advertising the strength of platform without giving up everything. And it's not the only way to make Xbox the preferred platform to play those games.
You think Sony with their whole Playstation "Advantage" campaign is generating goodwill fron Xbox players?

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully this frees up their previous purchases more. When you have Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Doom, Wolfenstein, as your new flagship IPs let coalition take a break from Gears. Just a massive Grab.

Yep. Microsoft doesn't have to rely on Halo and Gears as hard when they own all these Bethesda IP.

For the love of god start farming out these dormant Rare IP now. You have plenty of studios that can tackle them.

Jul 10, 2020
My question is this:

HOW THE HELL WAS THIS KEPT A SECRET?

Like Obsidian leaked like crazy before the deal, so did Playground to an extent. The rest didn't really leak, but those were independent studios, \

This was ****ing publisher, one of the biggest ones in the world with a rich history of IP.

This should have leaked a while ago, but yet, everyone was so focused on WB and Microsoft, we didn't see this one.

Zyae

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Mar 17, 2020

they really wouldnt, look at their output over the last 5 years compared to zenimax

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
My question is this:

Like Obsidian leaked like crazy before the deal, so did Playground to an extent. The rest didn't really leak, but those were independent studios, \

This was ****ing publisher, one of the biggest ones in the world with a rich history of IP.

This should have leaked a while ago, but yet, everyone was so focused on WB and Microsoft, we didn't see this one.

Probably kept in talks within a very select few of very high level personnel.