• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mark1

Oct 30, 2017
What does this mean for Doom Eternal on Switch?

Could this be why we've not heard anything on it recently?

SavoyPrime

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina USA
Thank goodness I can get Arkane's games on PC. Not a fan of any other of the Bethesda associated titles. So this doesn't bother me too much. Certainly gives GamePass more ammo tho.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting that they bought Obsidian if they were planning to acquire Bethesda as well, considering the overlap in their games types.

Only explanation is that some exec at MS really wanted an Obsidian Fallout game.

strife85

Oct 30, 2017
User warned: platform wars. Threadbanned (3 days).
What a dumb take, what does "being broke" have to do with not wanting to play on a pc? there are millions of console only gamers and thats not because they are broke.

lets stop it with this crazy speculation and just wait how this all pans out...

No, most of them are broke or cheap. The "couch" gaming thing is a myth. You can connect your pc to a tv you know that right?

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Now, it'll be more like a new first party game to game pass every 2 months instead of every 3. Maybe an even tighter schedule

MizziPizzi

Feb 14, 2019
Sweden
Yeah people aren't really thinking it through, but boy it's got Playstation fans rattled and worried on twitter.

Like it feels if they don't respond soon, which they won't because they can't, people will lose faith and decide to go Xbox.
Lol, Sony fans are kinda used to having the superior first party lineup so they feel threatened with this move!
I'm glad MS are providing competition on that front but I'm just bummed it had to be a large publisher instead of a few small-medium sized developers..

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
but...why not?

Is a PC or an Xbox going to bite you? Help me understand this mentality. The mindset that refuses to buy into a platform that has products you want to play on them? These are not cost-prohibitive products generally, and if money is the issue you can start saving now. By the time any game of consequence from this deal lands in 2022, you'll have more than enough, right?

So what's the actual problem? Sony won't come to your house and execute you for disloyalty.

Here are my issues with this:

1. I enjoyed owning less platforms this past gen. PS4+Switch were more than enough and not having to pay for an extra online service or build a PC was great.
2. It's about brand loyalty in the sense that Sony gave me a great experience and access to wonderful games over the PS4 gen, including BGS games.
3. BGS is my favorite third party developer. I even love Fallout 76, warts and all.
4. Everyone telling me that it isnt a big deal and to just give money over to a company that has essentially just shit in my mouth this morning is annoying to say the least. At least let people vent and come to terms with this.

blaze

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I think Microsoft will release Fallout and Elder Scrolls on PS5 to appease Sony. They don't want Sony to go on a shopping spree too.

I think it's far more likely that Sony are feeling pretty worried about this whole thing right about now, they simply can't compete with MS if it came down to purely a bidding war, nor would they want to. They're better continuing what they have been doing in producing great games from their own studios and working with other developers - I imagine they'll also carry on buying up timed exclusives as well. Nintendo also happily sits in that kind of space, doesn't get caught up in expensive acquisitions but continues to make huge profits.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, that massively sucks for me as I'm not interested in the Xbox ecosystem at all and Elder Scrolls is my favourite IP ever. I guess the best case scenario is if ESO remains online throughout PS5's lifecycle and TES VI releases on it too. By the time TES VII comes out we're flying with jetpacks and hoverboards anyway.
I can't be asked to play on PC or get a second console. Life's too short for that.

Sounds like you should be interested in the Xbox ecosystem now, given that it has your favorite IP

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I hope they lean on the studios to patch their current gen games to enable some of the improvements they talked about with regards to BC. More games seeing increased framerates and resolutions would be lovely.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
Holy shit. I just purchased 2 ½ years worth of Game Pass last week too.
Microsoft:
tenor.gif

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Online MP games are different, but still, same logic applies. I think I would still take you up on that bet, MS has been moving very different, I think it's all about GP subs now, this acquisition makes that much more appealing regardless of releasing on PS5 or not. Stuff like Halo/Gears/Forza was always associated with the brand, this is established IP that sell millions on PS.

I mean, I'm not gonna take any bets. They could release future Xbox games on PlayStation. Crazier things have happened.

I just don't see why all of sudden they would with these new studios, as opposed to any of there other games (we don't think Forza Horizon would do well on PS and Switch or Sea of Thieves or Halo?) other than people feeling disappointment about a new acquisition.

I see as much chance of TESVI coming to PlayStation as Sony putting Miles Morales on Switch I guess.

ZeroCDR

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Crazy news. New Vegas X Enhanced when?

Looking forward to Doom Eternal on game pass, glad I held off lol

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
Pretty much. I'm going to have to "nope" out of these threads because I don't like defending Microsoft (or any company so much). But as gamers, we all should be excited for their vision of the future. Sony is the one that needs to change with the times. Didn't want EA Access, thinks Game Pass isn't for them, hell and before they bought Insomniac they denied them the chance to make Sunset Overdrive for the PS4 because they wanted full ownership of the IP. Even after all IG had done for them.

I'd only panic if they bought a third party studio.

Subscription services are a capitalistic endgame where everyone is permanently subscribed. It's not ever going to cost you less IN THE MEDIUM/LONG TERM.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Larian better watch out, Microsoft is buying up all the WRPG studios.
This really is an insane acquisition, never thought I'd see this happen lol.

sjackso3

Oct 30, 2017
Houston
except sony doesnt allow gamepass on the PS5.

You won't need Game Pass. You will be able to buy most of these games on your PS5. Maybe not day and date (though I still think at least Doom and Elder Scrolls will be day and date because they are so big), but they will come there eventually. However, if you wanted to spend 200 bucks in a couple of years and buy a Series X on Black Friday, or stream it on your phone, or play it on you PC, Microsoft wouldn't mind that either. Either way they get the money. They don't care.

Also, have you ever considered that maybe in 20 years or so, when most stuff has gone to streaming and only Sony is still making a console for televisions, that if MS has enough must play content, Sony would be forced to put Game Pass on the PlayStation 9 or whatever? This is a long game.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
The brilliant thing about this is that Sony cannot retaliate in kind. There is no developer or publisher that they can aquire that Xbox gamers care as much about as Playstation gamers care about Bethesda games. It's also really good timing as PS5 is coming off a number of unprovoked botches. Gotta hand it to them, this is a big play from Microsoft and I didn't think they had it in them.

I mean what is Sony going to do now? Buy Konami? As if anyone fucking cares about Contra Rogue Corps 2 compared to TES VI and Starfield.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah sure that's a (not really exciting) possibility but I've always enjoyed owning my physical games, so I can get back to them with no extra cost. The whole ecosystem thing is also quite important to me. I don't even play any PC exclusive games regardless of quality because I need my friends, achievements and games in one place. The biggest bummer would be, if they'd practically take away something I took for granted to be available on all platforms for the foreseeable future. 😑

Release yourself from this ecosystem mentality and you will realize how simple things can really be.

but...why not?

Is a PC or an Xbox going to bite you? Help me understand this mentality. The mindset that refuses to buy into a platform that has products you want to play on them? These are not cost-prohibitive products generally, and if money is the issue you can start saving now. By the time any game of consequence from this deal lands in 2022, you'll have more than enough, right?

So what's the actual problem? Sony won't come to your house and execute you for disloyalty.

A man of sense.

Ya'll, if you want a game, you can just buy the platform that it's on.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
There had better be a real Prey sequel somewhere in that $7 billion deal. What a great pick up for Microsoft/Xbox.

Skeff

Oct 29, 2017
imo 7.5 billion only makes sense as a plan to get to 100 million game pass subscribers so you are pulling in 1.5 billion a month. I don't think putting the games out on PlayStation help with that - maybe it even hurts it.

I don't think they will ever get 100 million gamepass subs, its just not realistic. There are only so many people in the world who play these types of games.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't like when platform holders do this. Buying dev studios is one thing, but buying up all these multiplatform IPs and locking them off from other platforms is terrible for consumers.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
You won't need Game Pass. You will be able to buy most of these games on your PS5. Maybe not day and date (though I still think at least Doom and Elder Scrolls will be day and date because they are so big), but they will come there eventually. However, if you wanted to spend 200 bucks in a couple of years and buy a Series X on Black Friday, or stream it on your phone, or play it on you PC, Microsoft wouldn't mind that either. Either way they get the money. They don't care.

Also, have you ever considered that maybe in 20 years or so, when most stuff has gone to streaming and only Sony is still making a console for televisions, that if MS has enough must play content, Sony would be forced to put Game Pass on the PlayStation 9 or whatever? This is a long game.

There is zero evidence supporting this, and nothing but conjecture.

Jan 19, 2020
Bellingham
I really just hope this doesn't set off the Acquisition Wars, having a bunch of top studios exclusive to one platform or another doesn't seem like it would benefit either console's players.

synthplynth

Oct 29, 2017
Has Bethesda released a decent RPG in the remotely recent past? Not convinced that either Fallout 4 or Fallout 76 count. Skyrim was released in 2011.

Doom is the main IP in this deal me thinks since that aligns perfectly with Microsoft's core base.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
This was a huge get for MS even if it's just for the IP alone. Doesn't matter how you try and shape it. The doom IP, elder scrolls, Fallout are all monsterS. Bankable IP that sell consoles. This is exactly what MS has been missing. To me 7.5B was cheap for these IP.

Yep. You had Minecraft, Forza and Halo as their biggest IPs (with Fable as their #4 ... and that really tells a lot), so getting Fallout, Elder Scrolls and Doom in-house not only gives them more heft in that department, but it also makes Game Pass very valuable.

Old Microsoft would have 100 percent put these IPs behind a wall and locked them down to the Xbox only, but Ballmer isn't in charge of the company anymore and they've been trying to be more savvy in regards to getting their products on everything/X as a service and going to the customer, rather than forcing the customer to them.