• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
If you haven't noticed, the market in general is having a big pullback today. That's why.
Many reasons. Maybe because either (1) their assets are so depleted that there is less left for investor dividends, so best to sell rather than hope for any dividend, or (2) it was a partial stock acquisition that dilutes existing equity, so the value per share is diluted. Maybe other reasons. Long term, I think their stock is solid after this.
Xbox is a small division of Microsoft. Info regarding it usually doesn't have much of an impact on the stock. Also the whole market is down.
Buy on the rumor, sell on the news.

All these answers make sense, thank you for the info !

RoninZ

Oct 27, 2017
Halo done by Bethesda instead of 343 would be much more appealing. Give Obsidian another Fallout. MS has to put out better first party content. This buy helps do that

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
I just want to thank Phil Spencer for giving me weeks of entertainment reading reactions to this news lol

Tomasdk

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
So classic Doom will now come pre-installed on all Windows copies, right?
In seriousness, since I have a PC/PS/Switch, I don't mind this and am curious as to what happens now. Will Obsidian get to make a new Fallout? Will there be some sort of crossover between Doom and Halo? Will a MS studio do a competent Commander Keen game? The possibilities are endless.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Imagine the breakdown if sony bought a major publisher though lol this news and that would break era.

Not that I think Sony would ever. I don't see Sony spending 5+ billion on acquisitions.

Buying EA would be crazy though.

MS world wide studios is a beast now.

I've been saying for so long that zeni/Bethesda are like the only other single player focused pub next to Sony, and what has MS been lacking a lot? SP focused games.

Though I think I saw a thread that they will continue releasing multiplat titles, so who really knows the implications with this.

Regardless this is an industry shattering move.

I am STILL shocked, my mind is blown.

data

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine a world where MS and Sony continue buying developers and publishers until they are the only two large publishers remaining. Assuming they both have half each your now in a world where one system has half the games and another system have the other half of the games. They don't need to innovate as much because there is less competition, they don't need to release 4 FPS's each per year so they only release 1 each.we start getting less games. Not to mention that the amount of games per console is now lower than previously.

Think about it, right now 20% of games are ms exclusive and 20% are sony and 60% are multiplat so you get 80% of games per console. In future it will be 50%.

Not to mention some people don't want a subscription so game pass is out. Some people would love a subscription so PS is out.

It all comes down to less choice, less opportunity and less benefit for consumers. Don't forget these are companies who want to make money.

What if Sony start using psnow like gamepass? And then everything is on gamepass and ps now? But with such power of the two big players owning so much they could charge whatever they wanted, they could charge $20 a month and it'd still be decent value. But that'd be $40 a month to game and yes thats great for some people but not for everyone. Less publishers = less choice = Less games per platform.
Less choice, opportunity, and benefit? I think this benefits the consumer due to game pass. Game pass is cheap to access the entire trove of xbox gmaes for a month. It's enough for me to subscribe once a year.

Just becuase they're the two largest publishers doesn't mean indies will die and there will always be smaller developer studios. More publishers will also spawn up in the void left by them. Highly doubt creativity will die due to indie studios.

I would love for Sony to start a gamepass of their own. That way I can pay for a few months to play their entire trove

OP
OP
Uzupedro

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Hahahaha I have to laugh. Well fucking done Microsoft. This is not just a message but also a nuclear bomb. Microsoft is not messing around. And tomorrow I will buy myself the Xbox Series X. The most powerful console in the world. Gone are the days of Sony trolls telling Xbox gamers for not having enough first party games :D.
Man you people are going Crazy

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
I just realised something. MS buying Zenimax is basically the final blow to Stadia. How is Stadia supposed to compete with Xcloud now? They literally cannot.

indosmoke

Oct 30, 2017
France
Do you really not see the difference between those two things?

1.) Bethesda is a massive billion dollar game company. They don't need anyone's backing. Insomniac does.

2.) Insomniac mostly made PS games in the first place. Bethesda makes games for every platform. Sony buying Insomniac hardly hurts Xbox fans. MS buying Bethesda is a massive hit to PS fans.

Counterpoint: PS fans will be able to play Bethesda games without buying an Xbox; as a matter of fact, a $10/mo sub will be sufficient.
As of now, Xbox fans who would like to play Insomniac games have no choice but investing hundreds of $ in a console + individual game(s).

Here's hoping Sony will eventually fight Game Pass with an alternative service.

deep_dish

Oct 25, 2017
I think this leads to Sony buying Take Two like they were rumored and then Microsoft counters by buying EA

They may try, but Microsoft also set the market here. What is Take Two going to want? More than $7.5 Billion.

Can SONY afford that? Probably not. Would they want to pay that even if they could? Probably not.

Caped Baldy

Dec 11, 2017
This would have been Earth shattering to me a few years ago. After Fallout 4 and the last couple of Wolfenstein's, I'm not really looking forward to the next Elder Scrolls as much as I was before. However, MS also having Obsidian means that I won't have an alternative available on PS5. Very well played MS. At least they're making big moves!

Deleted member 43552

User requested account closure
Banned
May 17, 2018
Hahahaha I have to laugh. Well fucking done Microsoft. This is not just a message but also a nuclear bomb. Microsoft is not messing around. And tomorrow I will buy myself the Xbox Series X. The most powerful console in the world. Gone are the days of Sony trolls telling Xbox gamers for not having enough first party games :D.

Holy shit lol. Reset is starting to feel like a comedy forum.

InfiniDragon

Oct 25, 2017
I will say this, MS will be goddamn heroes if this leads to another Obsidian made Fallout game, exclusive or not.

Just the thought of that being a thing makes me giddy.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think Microsoft will release Fallout and Elder Scrolls on PS5 to appease Sony. They don't want Sony to go on a shopping spree too.

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
Glad I decided (and am able to) get both consoles. Wish everything would be playable on one box, but oh well.

Getting all the Bethesda games on Gamepass would be sweeeet.

RoastBeeph

Oct 29, 2017
Can't wait to see Phill retract his words when most (if not all) of Bethesda's games never come to a Sony platform
Phil never said future Bethesda games would be coming to any other platform. The wording he used is the wording they use for being able to play on Xbox, PC, XCloud, etc. It isn't about being on Sony or Nintendo platforms.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
Obsidian and Bethesda under the same company? We getting good Fallout again, fuck yeah.

Feel bad for Sony-only people, about to get that same feeling PC people did when they thought Demon's Souls was coming to PC for a moment. MS actually will play ball and allow games for other manufacturers in some situations (like Nintendo) but I kinda doubt Sony is on that list.

TheCommonDan

Oct 27, 2017
Apart from Minecraft has any other Xbox owned studios released any game on Playstation? Why are people so confident Elder Scrolls and Starfield are coming to PS5?