• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Microsoft has so many studios now I almost think it makes sense to buy some smaller support studios like a Saber or Raven (not those studios specifically, but something like those) to act as a support studios for all their main studios.

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
Oh wow, this came out of nowhere..

This is a bad thing for consumers. Oh well, Bethesda didn't really have many games I like.

But I guess this will make Game Pass more appealing.

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft should pay to print off all those Quake vinyl soundtrack booklets that Trent Reznor wasn't allowed to include and ship them to every single person who bought one because ZeniMax insisted that they not do it like a week ago.

Mollymauk

Oct 27, 2017
PS buying Insomniac: Haha fuck yeah!!! Yes!!
MS buying Bethesda: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck .

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
This announcement took the wind right out of my sail.

This is the sound of my excitement for PS5 right now.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm so I dont know if this is common knowledge or not, but everyone I know who has worked for a Zenimax studio at one point has told me that "normally" you are blacklisted if you leave any of their studios at any point for any reason even if they let you go.

Oct 28, 2017
This really sucks as a consumer. I love DOOM and but have no interest in buying an Xbox whenever the next entry come out. Mega Corporations buying out major game developers only hurts the consumer.

Jamie

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I've been so sick the last few days, and then I see this? Crazy news. This is unexpected, I thought someone was trolling because this mostly a fantasy players from all sides come up with. Wake up early tomorrow for those preorders. Insane.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Playstation have been around $20 billion in revenue for the last couple of years, so yeah they got to have a good deal of cash stashed away.

I don't think it's about really want it now. Microsoft have forced their hand with their highly aggressive purchases these last few years.

I don't think Sony has 7.5 Billion laying around, but around 4 billion for Warner Bros. or Square Enix doesn't seem out of the question + some smaller studies.
Assuming Sony will react to today's news by doing an acquisition of a big publisher, but at the same time wants to spend less considering they obviously have less capital than MS.

I don't see any option other than one of the following:

Capcom
Square-Enix
Sega

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
Btw can you imagine how big of a boost gamepass will get with starfield or even elder scrolls coming to it day 1.

But still, i wish ms invested more money into their games, instead of endless acquisitions

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
Are people still clinging to the false hope that Microsoft will let Bethesda release games on playstation? Again, what would be the point in buying the whole company out if all they want is guaranteed releases on gamepass. I'm pretty sure MS could cut deal with Bethesda to make that happen without buying the whole company out.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I think genuine, fanboy-free concern over money trumping all with an acquisition like this one is fair-play for using the term "monopoly."

We can mock terms like "concern" and "monopoly" all we want, but it doesn't change the fact this is an unprecedented purchase of IP and staff. This is a huge change that no other company on Earth can likely compete with (save, maybe, Apple? Maybe?).

Like I said, this is literally thirty-something Insomniacs.

Let's not get silly here. Apple, Facebook, Google, Amazon, Disney, Tencent, Alibaba...there are a ton of companies that could have made this deal if they saw the benefit in it. It's big money for the games industry but it's not like its an unheard of figure. Facebook paid more than double this for WhatsApp. Microsoft paid like four times this for LinkedIn.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
PS buying Insomniac: Haha fuck yeah!!! Yes!!
MS buying Bethesda: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck .

That's a false equivalency if there ever was one, heh.

Sony and Insomniac were publishing partners for decades... Ratchet, Spider-Man, Resistance... Sony owned a bunch of the IP Insomniac developed. Microsoft didn't own Fallout or Doom.

Sony/Insomniac acquisition was only $229 million... 1/32 the size of the Bethesda purchase.

There's a bit of a difference there.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
Like on one hand it really would have been better for the industry had MS to have used that 7.5 billion to create some new studios and maybe have them work on the tons of ips they already own and aren't doing anything with

but I guess I can see MS being frustrated with how their investments on their studios has gone so far and some of the issues they've had. I can see why they maybe felt the need to go yolo and acquire a massive studio that puts out games they know will be good and massive sellers that can compete with the hype and acclaim Sony's first party output is achieving

dglavimans

Nov 13, 2019
Playing Bethesda games day one as a Gamepass subscriber... HOW does this Gamepass thing keep getting more and more and more

Dantero

Jan 23, 2018
mfw Skyrim hits the Switch 2 but not the PS5

tenor.gif
Ban this gif. Trauma

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I would love a re-release of Fallout: NV just to have it play nice with modern computers and maybe a slight touchup. Maybe not as exciting as a followup, but I would still be on that day 1.

El-Pistolero

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
I think you're missing my point.
This scenario we're in is directly related to the past few years of Street Fighter, Nier, Final Fantasy, Spider-Man, etc. being bought up by Sony. All game franchises that were previously on everything have been coming to PlayStation and not Xbox day one or ever to the point where the zeitgeist is "Xbox has no games".

To stay relevant there was only one thing Microsoft could do: buy games.

It was only a question of whether or not they would do it.

I believe all of this could have been avoided had Sony not gobbled up all the third party exclusivity they have in the past 6 years.

I can't. My mind hurts from reading such insanities...Good for you, I guess...I am off to do something productive with my time.

radiotoxic

Oct 27, 2017
I read it as there having been some bad blood on his exit from Zenimax maybe? There was all the lawsuit stuff around his VR work and Oculus iirc.
Didn't he fall out with Zenimax over some IP stuff regarding VR tech or something?
They sued him didn't they.
Zenimax, parent company of Bethesda, sued him after he left id to join Oculus
Wow, I didn't know about this.

Last edited: