• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zultima

Mar 4, 2020
Kinda crazy wow, this gives MS to like immediate ability to legitimately compete with Sony first party now

CadobaDelta

Banned
Apr 27, 2020
Interesting move. Hopefully this results in better games - personally, I've been pretty disappointed by a lot of games out of Zenimax as of late, so it'll be interesting to see what this new oversight does for the games.

I also don't think Microsoft will cuff these studios to their platforms. At least at a glance, Microsoft doesn't (and likely won't) have the install-base to make that a viable plan.

chubigans

Vertigo Gaming Inc.
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So a company that's earnestly trying to get gaming into as many hands as possible and who's invested into everything from adaptive controllers to cloud based gaming - is offering the industry's strongest gaming service (Game Pass) and the most cost efficient next generation console (Series S) - then purchases a mega developer where they will add those games to Gamepass and you all want to be salty about it? That's not you caring about gaming or the industry. This is you being greedy that the games aren't on your preferred platform and to hell with people it would benefit. There's no morale high ground here.
I don't agree at all. You're talking as if MS is a charity here- they could have added games to game pass for a hell of a lot less than buying the studio outright. This is a loss for a ton of gamers should those games be exclusive now.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Competition is good" only makes sense until you realize Sony's market cap is 97B and Microsoft is 1.49 TRILLION so when you say you want them to compete you actually want Microsoft to crush Sony because they can't actually compete in the end. If not for antitrust laws they could literally just buy Sony.

The way next gen is headed I expect Sony to be one of the last holdouts MS gets.

Nintendo will probably stay independent though.

Oct 27, 2017
I think they will keep it exclusive. That's the whole point of the purchase. The people who used to buy them on other consoles now have to consider Xbox or miss out on these games. Elder scrolls is too big for a lot of gamers. That's what they are counting on.
True but idk if they can make that money back if they're exclusive. Time will tell. How many copies did Skyrim sell on ps3 and PS4? That's got to be a quarter of a billion dollars per major Fallout/E Scrolls release they'd be losing

James_liv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
So a company that's earnestly trying to get gaming into as many hands as possible and who's invested into everything from adaptive controllers to cloud based gaming - is offering the industry's strongest gaming service (Game Pass) and the most cost efficient next generation console (Series S) - then purchases a mega developer where they will add those games to Gamepass and you all want to be salty about it? That's not you caring about gaming or the industry. This is you being greedy that the games aren't on your preferred platform and to hell with people it would benefit. There's no morale high ground here.
Wow! Well said

Ravager777

Jan 1, 2018
I'm out of the loop, i'm seeing this going around:

Are the games going to be exclusives or not? Seems kind of weird to pay 7.5 billion to release the games on other consoles 🤔

Not really, MS is interested in making money and Bethesda has Elder Scrolls and Fallout, two widely successive series from a financial perspective. I consider it likely that MS will still release the games in Playstation consoles, although the games may be console exclusives for a while first.

rrc1594

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure MS is planning their move towards a Service-based model with Gamepass and this type of acquisition is really important in that regard.

I fully expect we will see some sort of Gamepass/Xbox integration with Nintendo and/or Sony in the next five years.

Bank on it.

Nintendo and Sony don't want that.

Oct 25, 2017
Yup. Everyone's knock on MS last gen was that they didn't have any AAA games outside of Forza / Gears / Halo.

Well here you go. A shit load of AAA content exclusive to Xbox / PC / gamepass. Now console gamers have a reason to buy Xbox again.

That is probably true, the only part that gives me pause is that $7.5 billion dollars is a very large investment and Microsoft might want to get some multiplatform sales to help defray it, at least in the shorter term.

Yager

Oct 26, 2017
With the amount of money the dumped into this it wouldn't surprise me if future games are still gonna be on PS5, which still would be huge for Microsoft. Also, I was already in love with Gamepass, but now I wanna marry it.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This thread in tldr;
Microsoft buys company : REEeEe this terrible! Sony should buy another company in retaliation!
Sony buys company : HOLY SHIT ITS OVER! SONYWINSBABY! Microsoft is doomed, how will they ever recover!?!
This is terrible for fans of all video games because Sony no doubt will have to respond and one of the POSSIBLE responses on the table is cutting off MS from japanese support that could more than make up for everything except Fallout/Elder Scrolls. They wont be able to recover from that so in the end everyone is going to be screwed, just in different ways.

| TrusT |

Apr 19, 2020
Well this is going nowhere, but whatever Sony's spending to timed exclusives is absolutely nothing when compared to 7.5B, so it definitely isn't a situation where this acquisition is the same but just money "more wisely" spent. Every single one of those timed exclusives will come to XSX, eventually and it's not like there isn't any other games to choose from.

This zenimax purchase has a lot bigger impact in the long run than any timed exclusive ever could. In fact it's the only one with the long, lasting impact. Almost every game associated with this is basically part of a well established, already successful franchise with longer roots at PlayStation than Xbox, and by far the biggest, and pretty much the only win for MS is that these games are now probably exclusive. They could gotten all these games to game pass with a lot less money.

Sony has never done anything even close like this, but now they just might be forced to and it in no way will be a good thing for the industry as a whole.

While all of that is true, In an ideal industry we'd have a situation where all third party content was available on Switch, Playstation and Xbox at the same time. Unfortunately that's never going to happen and everyone misses something down the line.

People have got to realise the industry doesn't exist to serve the people who've been in it the longest or have legacy with certain IP, It's all about investment and futureproofing.

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
Well there is PC. Paying 7 billions and still allowing the games to be released on your competitors' platforms is way too kind to put It mildly.

I mean the sentence "We should bring that to everyone - regardless of who are, where you live, or what you play on. Regardless of the screen size, the controller, or your ability to even use one."

Really makes it sound like they're going multiplat to me.

I agree, it would be a very weird move.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I'm out of the loop, i'm seeing this going around:

Are the games going to be exclusives or not? Seems kind of weird to pay 7.5 billion to release the games on other consoles 🤔

It's funny because wotta is in this thread pushing that same idea with nothing to prove it. It's 100% speculation based on Todd's statement.

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
What a way to start the week! :)
black-kid-oh-snap_0.gif

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Not even sure how to react to this. Bad on the whole, I guess, especially if it means layoffs.

Creepy Woody

Nov 11, 2017
Australia
I've been at work, I missed this WTF. I thought this was a troll post. 7.5 Billion is fucking staggering. I was sure Bethesda would be independent forever.

Holy shit Microsoft owns DOOM and Fallout now. Crazy times. What a weird year.

I fully expect Sony to retaliate, question is which developer/publisher do they go after?

If they really wanted to play knifey spoony; Capcom.

OBSIDIAN MIGHT WORK ON ANOTHER FALLOUT GAME LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOO

Oh my god you might be right... stars have aligned and all that.

Last edited:

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if this forum's reactions would be different if it were Sony making this acquisition instead of Microsoft.

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
Not when I have game pass until 2022 for less than the price of one PS5 game.

And when my subscription runs out I can buy 3 more years for roughly the same price, including the onilne service.

If anything i'll be saving so much money it'll be crazy.

Yup. The realization hasn't kicked in yet for many, but once marketing kicks into high gear many will have the same epiphany. Stlll blown away by this news, like holy fuck.

Shifty360

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 3, 2020

So you would be happy if they bought more?

You would be happy for others to be driven out by MS using its financial posistion?

One company for gaming?

Be careful what you wish for.