• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 43552

User requested account closure
Banned
May 17, 2018
I just did some napkin math. For this acquisition to be profitable for microsoft they would need it to generate 25 million new (currently they have 15 million total) gamepass subscribers that would not otherwise have subscribed and to stay subscribed for a period of five years at $120/year.

It's definitely a very very long term play for them. The netflix analogy is pretty apt. They're investing in studios / content and hope it bears fruit over the 5+ year timeframe. Great get for Microsoft from a business sense for sure.

Hero_Select

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if Sony and their anti consumer timed exclusive buying spree forced Microsoft's hand here.

Instead of settling for crumbs, they basically said fuck it and put Sony on notice that if they want to play this game, they'll see who they're dealing with.
It definitely did.

"You get Final Fantasy 16? Okay. We'll get Elder Scrolls and Fallout"

mikhailguy

Banned
Jun 20, 2019
User Warned: Inappropriate Language
Damn, this sucks. Hopefully, they go the Ori route and whore out the exclusives

ANDS

Banned
Jun 25, 2019
I'd rather it be Mircrosoft than Sony, for sure. Well I'd rather they remained independent, but the lesser of 2 evils, right?

Sony would lock that shit down to their console, while Microsoft would definitely put the games out on PC, and I wouldn't be surprised to see the games on the PS too, even if as a timed exclusives.

Why? Why would they do this? Other than titles already in multiplat status and Minecraft what are the historical markers that suggest they would do this. Would you? MS is about pulling people into their ecosystem (same as SONY). You aren't doing that by giving away TES6, Starfield and FO5 to the competition.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
It's dumb to own an Xbox without a sub at this point.

Between Xbox One, series S, and PC they will jump the subs for sure.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Xbox owns exclusives that you don't even need an Xbox to play.

Exclusives have never been more accessible. You'll be able to play the next Elder Scrolls on a PC or stream it to your iPad.
And no longer able to play on Nintendo/Sony consoles, this sucks for tons of people so don't try to be all like "you can still play it on 2 platforms it's all good".

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Exclusive to Xbox Game Pass / xCloud for sure, but likely available for purchase digitally or retail on other platforms.

MS makes more money being multi-platform and still cements Game Pass as the leading streaming service. Win win.
"MS makes more money being multi-platform" as an argument only really applies if you're going to apply it to all of MS's stuff. You're not going to see Halo on PS5 either, even though yes it'd make MS more money.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Not happy with another studio being bought up, but with the way Sony's been setting timed exclusivity on everything next gen, it was a matter of time. Hell in general, given the past couple of years.

Sia

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 9, 2020
Canada
I mean they'll still exist, you'll still get to enjoy their exclusives.

But if the majority of 3rd parties all house under one console that's a pretty great thing for people who want the best bang for their buck.
If you somehow think you will be getting bang for the buck with billion dollar acquisitions you are sorely mistaken. Did you think Microsoft is a charity? They will make this 7.5 billion dollars back, through you.

Uga

Oct 31, 2017
It's just common sense. People that think MS is in the business of caring more about consumers than $$$ need to think. They didn't throw out 7 billion just for those games to come to gamepass day 1 while they still end up on PS. Day 1 gamepass and exclusive to Xbox and PC means loads of more $$$ than just day 1 gamepass.
But wouldn't Day 1 Game Pass + PC sales + PlayStation/Switch sales = more money?

It's easy to speculate about this, and easily come up with reasons for both scenarios, but waiting for an official confirmation from Microsoft about their plans might be the better thing to do here instead of everyone freaking out either way.

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hot damn, that's a commitment.
Though I will not buy microsoft hardware. I have gamepass on PC and that's enough for me.