• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Aside from possibly FFXVI, nobody has anything I want right now. I'm not investing in overpriced hardware because of hypotheticals.

This kind of move doesn't make me want to invest in Xbox, it makes me want to stop gaming altogether.

You wanted exclusives ?
You got them.

That's exactly what your line of thinking brought you.
"I want those games to remain exclusive because otherwise I feel like my platform of choice is worse when I could play on PC, which I hate to do".
They gave you reasons to get a platform for games you might want to play. Sure, it's artificial, but hey, that's how it has been.

Look at Sony paying to artificially delay FFXVI on other platforms.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking of a situation where these release exclusively on Gamepass for 1+ year. After this period, they are available on PlayStation at $70 a pop and Microsoft grabs additional revenue from that...

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Buying studios is one thing, buying publishers is quite another. This coming generation might go down as the worst if this arms race continues.

MiDoZ

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh no. Would someone think of the children? 😂

crazy move. As a gamepass subscriber I cant be happier!

Oct 30, 2017
While it's initially massive news I've sat and gone through the games that are impacted

Short to medium term I'm unaffected - I'll stick with my PS5 as my primary console for now. May need to re-evaluate towards the end of the generation though
That's years away from now though

Xbox Series S however became a far more compulsory purchase

WarReadyVet

Jun 15, 2020
This is big news but it is awful news. Nothing good can come from this. I can only see Sony responding by buying a company of their own. Maybe Square or Capcom.

Maybe Microsoft will let some games branch out of the Microsoft systems like they already do but I don't expect it.

I'm not sure the current status Capcom is in, but both of those companies have great partnerships with Nintendo as well. Also,
This one has a decision to make, need more moonsugar.

I see what you've done there, and I got to say - I like it. I like it a lot.

Goldstick

Jun 6, 2019
Porto, Portugal
Damn, this is huge.
Xbox will be riddled now with RPG games, Obsidian, inXile, Fable, other games starting to implement even more RPG features and now Bethesda, I just hope we get diversity in their output.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Huge news.

These reactions are exactly why I chuckle at the rage when Sony paid for Spiderman. One character locked down to a platform causes riots, while a massive publisher acquisition gets high fives.

I just wonder if this means all of our Bethesda launcher games, will be transferred to Windows Store? I'd love to get rid of that launcher for good.

God I hope so, that launcher is complete shit. Would rather use steam, or even gamepass for that matter.

Oct 26, 2017
Huge news.

These reactions are exactly why I chuckle at the rage when Sony paid for Spiderman. One character locked down to a platform causes riots, while a massive publisher acquisition gets high fives.

I just wonder if this means all of our Bethesda launcher games, will be transferred to Windows Store? I'd love to get rid of that launcher for good.

People prefer to miss 'all of something' than just 'part of something'.

Playing Avengers in any other platform is a constant reminder that you don't get spiderman.
Straight up not having the game does not have this constant reminder.

Also, people that sub to Game Pass will see this as an advantage.

Not really disagreeing, but I think that explains the reactions.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Good lord. What a huge move. Not sure I like it, given these things are biiiig series that have traditionally been everywhere.

The fan boy 'no u' bullshit can gtfo.

TooLive

Jan 28, 2019
The balls to drop this new a day before preorders.. I don't know if I should laugh or cry...................... I feel like breakdancing.

tusharngf

Oct 29, 2017
Lordran
4fqk1r.jpg

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
I'm betting that a bunch of Bsthesda games, including Doom Eternal, are getting added to Gamepass Novemeber 10th.

If they put out their future games on PS5, I cant see them doing it on Day 1, probably 1 year later or something if ever. MS can also argue that you can stream it from Gamepass so you don't even need hardware to play them and just never put them on PS5.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
This is definitely unexpected. I can respect folks thinking this is terrible news but I'm going to be straight and say that I'm even more excited to get my pre-order in for the Series X now. Gamepass is an absurd value that I'm going to very much continue to enjoy.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Goddamn. So is Microsoft strategy to win this gen just to buy up literally everyone so Sony just loses access to most franchises? This is crazy huge.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Aside from possibly FFXVI, nobody has anything I want right now. I'm not investing in overpriced hardware because of hypotheticals.

This kind of move doesn't make me want to invest in Xbox, it makes me want to stop gaming altogether.
Honestly, I'm not 100% sure why you haven't stopped by now, I don't think there has been one thing about next gen or next years gaming landscape that you liked lol

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User banned (3 months): Platform warring, trolling, ableist meme. Previously warned for use of that same meme and long history of infractions for trolling.
This thread in tldr;
Microsoft buys company : REEeEe this terrible! Sony should buy another company in retaliation!
Sony buys company : HOLY SHIT ITS OVER! SONYWINSBABY! Microsoft is doomed, how will they ever recover!?!

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
lol for real? do a research and check how much money microsoft make only with azure, spoiler: waaaaaaaay more than all the movies, music and anime from sony
I don't think the profit from azure is known? But the revenue of azure and Sony movies seem to be in the 10 billion ballpark from what I can find. It's likely the margins are significantly higher for azure. Ultimately it is partially irrelevant because subdivisions do not necessary like to give their cash to others. Otherwise stadia could be the one buying Bethesda .

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Presumably the Deathloop timed exclusivity is already locked in and can't be changed even with this acquisition?

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
At the very least the lesser of two evils got it (or three of you count nintendo)

At the very least there's a chance that these games are still multiplat and not exclusive

Jumpman23

Nov 14, 2017
Hooooly....

All of a sudden that Xbox is looking sexy AF to a lot of people. Wonder what this does for Gamepass numbers.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
This.

They are buying success instead of developing it or fostering it. This is not an Insomiac situation. Timed Oblivion exclusivity doesn't make them have the same kind of relationship with MS the way studios Sony acquired had with them. These are the same discussions we've had for the last year or so when any rumors about MS/Sony buying a big studio/publisher crop up.

Don't let gamepass dazzle you into thinking this is somehow a good thing for the industry because it's absolutely not. If Sony retaliates and buys a big pub it will be one more step toward consolidation of the industry.

Oh please. I don't think this is great either, but that's because it's an entire huge publisher. There's nothing inherently noble or better about Sony buying Insomniac. It's just that the comparison would have been MS buying Bethesda (the elder scrolls/fallout studio) by itself, not all of Zenimax.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Are these IPs not going to be on Sony?
I mean ....they could keep anything they want multi platform but I don't see it. Having things like Doom, Elder Scrolls, Fallout on their service only is the power play. This will absolutely bring more people to Xbox if they are exclusive and included with Gamepass.

Minecraft stayed multi but I think Bethesda stuff will become exclusives so they can leverage their ecosystem more...

Glad I buy all big 3 consoles because if I didn't, I would be forced to getting an Xbox. ES is one of my favorite series ever lol

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
And here I was joking that I'd get a next gen Xbox only if Elder Scrolls or Fallout became exclusive lol. Sounds like a huge deal, is this good or bad? Because from posts on here Bethesda sucks but I guess their games sell.

padlock

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seeing these games on Gamepass day 1 would make the prospect of paying 70USD for new games seem even more outlandish.

Would be kind of funny if all these moves eventually lead to some kind of anti-trust investigation into Microsoft, which would bring some unexpected truth to the 'Is this even legal" meme.