• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
May 10, 2019
So this was the "rumor" big announcement some where talking about? I know the EA Play coming to GamePass was big but this one seems to be the megaton announcement??

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
As long as those games still come out on Steam, I'm super happy with the purchase. Also makes Xbox Pass even more attractive.

Much more happy than if they would have been acquired by Sony due to console-only bullshit they seem to hold onto.

Vintage

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Sony: you will pay 80EUR for a game!
Microsoft: Or you can just play them on Gamepass...

Which can make the offer even more tempting than making the games exclusives. The value that Microsoft is offering is through the roof, it's almost stupid not to get Xbox and Gamepass.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
news.xbox.com

Welcoming the Talented Teams and Beloved Game Franchises of Bethesda to Xbox - Xbox Wire

Critically acclaimed creators of The Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Wolfenstein, DOOM, Dishonored, Quake, Starfield and more join Team Xbox Today is a special day, as we welcome some of the most accomplished studios in the games industry to Xbox. We are thrilled to announce Microsoft has entered into...

Sounds like it means good things.
Sounds awesome to me :)

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
this is huge
speachless
incredible

I'm not mad nor happy, I'm speachless

I don't remember all these negative reactions for Insomniac Sony's acquisition, to mee are both terrible

Insomniac has like one IP, and a a few games per generation.

This is a totally different scale. Doom and the elder scrolls as platform exclusives is fucking insane. Shows how much Microsoft wants to be a part of the conversation.

In general I dont think its a good sign that even medium sized publishers are slowly being eaten by the platform holders. That cant be a good thing in the long term.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
The possible exclusivity isn't a positive but these companies know what they are doing and it works.

Besthesda Game Studios own games didn't need the financial backing of Microsoft but for smaller studios like Arkane that had games that underperformed this can only mean good things i think.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Monster Hunter is one franchise that is supported by a very specific niche. It's not anywhere close to the sheer value FO and Elder Scrolls provide.

Anyways, whatever. Trying to ruminate on who Sony could buy to counter this is derailing so I'll worry about it later. But man, this is bad news for the industry and especially bad news for Sony and Sony fans.
Those two are bigger, no doubt about it. The rest... It could be up there, though it's true that Capcom has become too dependent on Resident Evil and MH for a while: there's a giant gulf between these two franchises and the rest of software they put out.

But yes, it's a baseless thought after all. Personally, I haven't paid more than 20€ for a Bethesda game in a decade, so I don't care much one way or the other (though the news is obviosly important for the market).

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
The Games will still come to PlayStation, confirmed by Todd Howard.

t.co

Todd Howard On Joining Xbox

I have had the pleasure of working with, and partnering with, many of the best gaming and tech companies in the world. But our longest, and closest partner during my career, has been Microsoft.

EicVghHWAAI92WX

That's not what that says. He could be saying that in regards to console vs phone vs pc

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
Oh my God...this is HUGE! This WAY bigger than if they had bought WB Games like was speculated awhile back. This is completely fucking bonkers! Why don't they just buy EA while they're at it?! Jesus Christ!

Was ZeniMax bleeding for cash or something? Because 7.5 billion seems low for such a large organization...

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Y'all are out of your fuckin minds if you think they'll be releasing their future Bethesda games on PS. They still want to sell their consoles. The only possible way would be exclusively through Gamepass on PlayStation and the chance of Gamepass on PS is slim.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft doesn't even need exclusivity, all these games will be day 1 on Game Pass vs. $70/80 euro on PS5.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
I don't get the doom and gloom about this, even as someone with no plans to buy an Xbox.

They're trying to compete.
Instead of 7.5B going into funding news games and studios, 7.5B went to investors, and the net outcome might be locking 10s of millions of gamers out of games they expected to be able to play.

ChillWinston

Oct 27, 2017
I'm shocked to my core. Opened Twitter while waiting for a game of Warzone to start, had to drop out and read stuff. Wow. Wooooow.

H2intensity

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Now that's an acquisition!! Impressive moves by Microsoft and knowing how they not playing platforms exclusive i think its great.

Voyevoda

Nov 1, 2017
Paris, France
Okay that's pretty huge.

It'll only bother me if there's a Dishonored 3 and/or TEW 3 though (seeing as I wasn't planning on getting an Xbox anytime soon, and have no money for a gaming Pc).

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Make that xbox then. Use gamepass savings to buy PS5 later.

I don't think Elder Scrolls 6 or Starfield are launching any time soon lol, but I agree with the general sentiment.

This move makes Microsoft far more competitive, and I don't think that's a bad thing (just as I don't get the anti-consumer complaints about timed exclusives either). All it means is more people will have to save up for a gaming PC or Microsoft console.

Ultimately, Sony being too dominant is a negative, and them charging £70 a game whilst Microsoft is releasing games like Starfield and Elder Scrolls 6 on Game Pass for £15 a month or whatever, has surely got to light a fire under their ass or prevent complacency.

Competition is healthy for us consumers at the end of the day.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
I don't understand your argument here.

* Capcom has still remained a 3rd party company, 3rd party companies make occasional exclusives often enough.

* Street Fighter V is exclusive to PS (and PC) because Sony paid for all of the development costs directly. The game legitimately would not exist without Sony in the first place. MS didn't want to pay for it, likely because they didn't want a competitor to Killer Instinct. SF5 just straight up not existing would hurt gamers more than the current situation IMO.

You're missing the point. Ignoring the fact that Sony helped fund street fighter, it will wasn't accessible to anyone on Xbox. That's the key point. Just because Capcom is a 3rd party company now, the point is it's possible they could end up 1st in the future. That's what I and several others have been saying.

I guess you'd be fine with a game/IP that has been traditionally accessible to all platforms, possibly only available to just one. So possibly no more DOOM on Playstation or Nintendo platforms.
Got ya.

Your initial sentence below made it come off as you saying you don't like it ONLY because it meant Sony would do the same. Can i ask you, if Sony doesn't decide to buy a publisher does that then mean that you like what Microsoft did?

"I don't like this move, only because now it means that Sony will start to do the same and we'll start to see 3rd party companies becoming 1st party companies."
That is correct.

When MS first announced they acquired Ninja Theory, Double Fine, and Obsidian, I was frustrated with that news. I know a lot of people who aren't fans of Xbox, some not fans of PlayStation, but at least they had 3rd games from their favorite companies. One of my "associates" hates Obsidian now, despite being fans of the company for as long as I can remember because Xbox owns them.

Being perfectly clear and I may be in the minority, I like 3rd party companies remaining independent, with the exception of being acquired is the only way to keep them afloat. Games for everyone and all that.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
This is a weird Forum, where MS aquisitions are praised and Sony deals are anti-consumer.
As someone who will buy a Ps5 next november and has no interest in Series X/S... it feels to me far more anti-consumer a studio acquisition by a company that will likely release the games only on a system compared to a company that will release them on 2 systems (Xbox and PC), will offer them in a subscription system instead of selling them for fucking 80€ and is open to port them so the Switch or even Ps5. But maybe it's just me lol.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
That is true, but these games will no longer be on other platforms, which is a gonna be a huge bummer to a lot of people.
I forgot to say, pc, xbox, and heck even via streaming with Xcloud

At the bare minimum, it will be easier to get in with the xbox ecosystem (examples: gp is cheap, and you can start for $1, a android phone or tablet, and ur good to go with streaming, if you have a pc, you are good to go, if you have to buy an xbox, theres a cheap $299 console, you can also pay it monthly with all access etc).

if this was a sony exclusive/acqusition, the only way you would play it would be to own their PS5, plain and simple

Deleted member 76797

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
The big knock on MS recently is that they have no AAA games to call their own. If you think they just spent 7.5Bn to make money on playstation games you're smoking crack.